Start by marking “Lost in La La Land” as Want to Read:
Lost in La La Land

Lost in La La Land

What if you could enter the world created inside of your favorite novel?
Close your eyes and live for a day as Elizabeth Bennet or Harry Potter?
Experience every magical sentence ever written, first hand?
Escape the ordinary and live the extraordinary!

That’s the sales pitch for Dr. Emma Hartley’s dream machine, Lucid Fantasies.
The fantastical machine transports people in
Published April 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Lost in La La Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in La La Land

Jenn
Beautiful cover. Interesting premise (hello, living in a book world of your choice for a bit). You would think I would have loved this book. But I didn't. At all.

Dr. Emma Hartley has made a name for herself by providing fantasy dreams to people from the book of their choice. Yet, having suffered a loss of her own (her husband), she refuses to go into the machine herself in fear that she would just look for her dead husband. I feel like this should have been a fairly obvious warning that somethi
Mandy
Emma has created the ultimate fantasy machine, that allows you to go into your favorite books or movies as a character in a sort of dream state. After losing her husband Emma fell into her work creating her own company Lucid Fantasies where she screens every client to make sure that the machine doesn't become addicting for them. When one of her clients does become addicted to the machine she's forced to cut her off but little did she know that by cutting her off it would send her over the edge.

N
Resch Reads
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
*Book Received in Exchange for Honest Opinion/Review*

The cover, from the moment Tara Brown put this cover up, I was enchanted. I read the synopsis and fell a little more in love, I was anticipating everything in my wildest bookish dreams. Unfortunately, this book didn't live up to any of my hopes. While I was intrigued by the story line and the characters' motives, I didn't fall in love with it for several reasons.

First off, as a person of science, its really hard for me to justify nanobot techn
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cindy Fong
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"two peas in a fucked up pod"

I loved this twisted leap down the rabbit hole, the story is set in the future but a good part of it occurs in the current past. What if you could make all of your literary fantasies come true? Emma is a scientist that has created a literary virtual reality machine where you can choose the outcome/adventure. While brilliant, she is a lonely widow, just trying to find her way. When she befriends a patient (Lana) the two of them embark on an adventure of reality and fa
Carol***BeautyandtheBeastlyBooks
***ARC received in exchange of an honest opinion***

As usual, I didn't read the blurb before starting this book (spwcially because it's from an author I trust 100%) and going in completely in thr dark was the right choice, because this book surprised me at every new page.

What a story! Back in La La Land is different than anything I've read before (or anyone else), it's very intriguing and every new thing that happens in the story makes you not want to stop reading it. I devoured the book in one a
Beverley Norcross
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow-not only is the storyline unique, but the characters are not your usual suspects either. I've never read a story quite like this and while it took me a minute to get into it, I found it absolutely fascinating ! Not your run of the mill romance, there's love and loss and good and evil and regret and redemption . Trust me you'll love it Tara you mind works in wicked ways!!!
Tonya
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I hate not finishing a novel but 30% in and I feel like I should be further along but I just can't seem to get into this novel long enough to make decent progress even though its not a long book.

Reading this novel is like trying to wade through tar.

The plot sounded so interesting but I felt such a let down once I started reading this. I feel like so much more could have been done with the book worlds the characters can enter virtually. Maybe there is more but I don't have the interest level to
kriszeth sthemphick
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Michelle Monroe
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had to take time to think about my review. To absorb all the words in this book because I can relate to these characters. I can understand what drives them to want to live in a fantasy world, a world they can create, with the things they want, the outcome to the story that they want. A beautiful fantasy without the heartache and the pain of their real life. We all want that in some way. To write our own story the way we want it to be. To be the Author of our own life.

I think we all read to es
Iza
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I guess I should be used to this by now. This feeling of what. The. Hell did I just read, whenever I'm done with a Tara Brown book. Yet, she always seems to surprise me and I really hope this will never stop.

I honestly don't really know how this book could be reviewed, without giving away spoilers and ruin the story. But to simply say, "Read it, you won't be sorry." doesn't seem enough.

Let me start with the story line, the plot. It was original. I have never read a book with this plot. The acti
Moon Love
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

My initial thought on finishing this book was, "WOW." When the book started, I wasn't sure what direction the story was going to take. It's set in the future and I wasn't sure if it was fantasy, paranormal, horror, or something else, perhaps a combination of multiple genres. However the concept was interesting enough that I couldn't put the book down.

Now, towards the middle of the book, things got really interesting. How you ask? Well I was aware of what was happening to the main chara
Jeni
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost let me begin by stating that I received an advance copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review. Thank you

I love Tara her writing speaks to me, sends me into a world of my own. She has the ability to transport me to the scene, to brand me with each characters, their pain and solitude. Lost in LaLa Land is no different.

She begins the story by submerging the reader into the world of Alice and wonderland, sending us into the rabbit hole. At one point during
Rachael
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Lost in La La Land" by Tara Brown is a guilty pleasure of sorts. I was able to live vicariously through her characters, especially Emma/Jane. The idea that one could enter their favorite book is wonderful, in theory as well as in practice. Brown allows her readers a glimpse inside two worlds: the future and the literary world of Jane Austen's "Persuasion". With a few...alterations. It was incredible reading about the past as it clashed with the present, and vice versa. I felt like I was able to ...more
Ashley Aleshire
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There aren't adequate words to describe how amazing this book is. From the beginning to the very last word I was hooked. Tara Brown is a mastermind that sucks you into the worlds she creates. Heartbreaking, beautiful, insane, fantastic, desperate, wonderful, soul crushing are some of the words that come to mind when describing Lost in La La Land. You can't help but feel one with the main character and her grief, guilt, sorrow and desperation. The whole time I was reading I kept begging my family ...more
Christine Bishop
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story! Tara Brown has done it again! This book jumps out grabs you and pulls you in.
Dr. Emma Hartley has created a machine that inserts you into a novel. While your in the machine you live as a character of the story. For some this was a fun adventure but for others it was an escape from reality. This book is completely unique and I enjoyed reading every page from start to finish.
Tammy
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was wonderfully unique. As a book lover, the idea of living in a choose your own adventure centered around my favorite books was thrilling! I would never again partake in the real world. Emma would have to turn me a way. This book had romance, suspense, and mystery. Prepare to get Lost in La La Land. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tracey Milito
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful book. It's unlike anything I've ever read. Tara takes you on a brilliant ride of love, loss, and discovery. I was hooked from beginning to end.

Liz
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A beautiful book cover, once again I was hooked in for the wrong reasons. I loved the idea of this book but unfortunately I wasn't a fan of the execution. It just wasn't for me - sorry.
Amber Cichon
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not an easy book to rate. If you are not familiar with Tara's books and think this is just a fantasy romance, you will be greatly mistaken. "Oh! A widow who gets to live in a Jane Austen world!? Sounds perfect!" Actually, this book, like many of her others, gets pretty dark, and sometimes the main characters are not very likeable. Knowing that this is not a fluffy Austen fantasy, you will not be disappointed.
The reason why the book is not 5 stars is because reading Austen's Persuasion i
Sylvia Clail
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought long and hard about this review as it warranted it. So imagine The Never Ending Story, Your all time Classic Novels, The Disney series Once Upon A Time and add that search for love with a scientific twist and you have the amazing LOST IN LA LA LAND! This book transported me to a fantasy world. Highly recommended even if it ain't your normal thing it is one worth giving a try as it is magical.
Cari
Lost in La La Land by Tara Brown is about a neuroengineer who develops a machine that can transport a person into a book of their choice. What bookworm wouldn't love to hang out with Alice down the rabbit hole, spend a day on the prairie with the Ingalls family, or (like the characters in this book) join Rhett Butler and Ashley Wilkes in Gone with the Wind or hang out with Captain Wentworth in a world created by Jane Austen? This machine sounds like what dreams are made of--until it makes users ...more
Ashley Cestra
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: a-few-books
Tara Brown is a favorite author of mine, I am reading her books slowly so I always have some thing good to read. I always have the biggest book hangovers with her stories. the characters are just so amazing.. and the worlds she creates are al ways fantastic. I just can't enough of her work. I just want all the stories!
Lost in La La Land was not my favorite. I am not a Jane Austen fan, and half of the book was in the world Jane Austen created. There was one character I was particularly interest
Jillian
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great premise, poor execution. Book was often repetitive and focused on such small details that overall hardly even matter and it was distracting. Emma is supposed to be this fancy pants doctor/scientist and she's so removed from reality, it's ridiculous. I would have thought the climax of the book would have been better, but it was a huge let down. I'm happy I read this for free with kindle unlimited, it'd be mad if I wasted money on this book. You're basically going to be reading a poor mans v ...more
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart moving

I love all of Tara Brown's writing! It pulls you in and the next thing you know it's way past your bed time! This was a very enjoyable book. It was dark and real, how life actually is. I enjoyed the not know the next step or if she was going to have some crazy twist in the end. I love how she brought in a lot of other beloved books to the table and expressed them so wonderfully. I'm simply amazed by her write and will continue to read everything Tara puts out! Hands down top three b
Kathleen
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't want to visit their favorite novel?!

Who hasn't dreamt of being in that world with the dashing, handsome prince or with the sweet, demure princess? Who doesn't want to be an elf in Tolkien's world or to be seduced by Count Dracula!?

Who wouldn't want the chance to see those who we loved and lost again?

I loved this novel. I love the idea of lala land. And I love Emma's character. She's me in written form. Thank You, Ms Brown for this novel.
Mindy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I like how this book flowed. It kept me interested the whole time. This is the second book that I have read from this author and I think I liked this book more than the last. The characters had real dialogue which is sometimes hard to find for a free book. Plus I'm a sucker for romance and this book had enough of that but not overly tacky.
SHANE M CARRIER
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of Tara Brown's best.

Out of the many Tara Brown books I've read this is by far my favorite. I absolutely loved it and I'm pretty sure I will read it again and again. Brilliant!!
Jennifer Marker
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing read! Couldn’t put it down.

I love the twist on characters. The book was very well written. I chose it because I love regency romance and thought it sounded like a interesting story line. I wasn’t disappointed!
jamie scarbrough
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay

It was a good book but not what I'm used to from this author. I still read every word because I'm a loyal fan.

• The Lord of the Clans
  • The Frog Prince
  • Flower Among the Ashes
  • Hot Mess (Stories of Serendipity, #4)
  • The Truth About Fragile Things
  • Wolf Snatched (The Dark Ridge Wolves, #1)
  • The Search (The Descendant Vampire, #2)
  • Wardbreaker (The Lillim Callina Chronicles, #0.5)
  • A New Day (StrikeForce #1)
  • The Tithe
  • A Thousand Salt Kisses (Salt Kisses, #1)
  • You Can't Catch Me
  • Break Me (The Summer Series, #1)
  • Bauldr's Tears: A Retelling of Loki's Fate
  • Scarred
  • Agent T3: d'Artagnan (The D.I.R.E. Agency #3)
  • Thief (Fairy Tale Bad Boys #3)
  • The Stepmother (Everland Ever After, #4)
I am the mother of two beautiful girls who are growing up so fast, the wife of a cute guy in a uniform (my own personal hero), and a writer.
My family will tell you it doesn't exactly fall into that order. Especially around dinner time when I "Cook" from a takeout menu with my face plastered to my computer.
I also have two cats who I adore more than I should, like more than people I know, and two do