Start by marking “Sister of Darkness: The Chronicles of a Modern Exorcist” as Want to Read:

Sister of Darkness: The Chronicles of a Modern Exorcist

The world’s only non-denominational exorcist—the subject of a forthcoming major motion picture—tells her astonishing true story: a riveting chronicle of wrestling entities from infected souls, showing how pain and trauma opens us to attachment from forces that drain our energy . . . and can even destroy our humanity.

As a secular exorcist, Rachel H. Stavis has cleansed thou
Published February 6th 2018 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Sister of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister of Darkness

Start your review of Sister of Darkness: The Chronicles of a Modern Exorcist
CiderandRedRot
A book about a self-taught, self-proclaimed Goth Barbie exorcist who allegedly services some of the biggest names in Hollywood - what's not to love? I'm a sarcastic cynic, but I also love a good spooky story; I went in prepared to suspend disbelief and enjoy the read. Sadly, this book is a flaming garbage pile with toxic fumes.

Rachel Stavis grew up seeing the kind of midnight terrors that I also saw as a child (as did my best friend, my husband...). She was raised by a mother she describes as a
Steve Wiggins
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Warning! Rachel Stavis will drop you into a strange world in this book. Known as a horror writer and screenwriter, R. H. Stavis is also a secular exorcist. This memoirish book recounts how Stavis came to see entities. It's a talent she has had from a young age. She sees demons although she's not religious. And she taught herself how to expel them without use of the Roman Ritual or the Bible. Her techniques are much more New Age.

This is an engrossing book. It's clear Stavis believes sincerely in
Nickole H
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh where do I begin about this book. I loved this book, this book also scared the hell out of me. The experiences that she writes about kept me wanting to know more and also makes me hope to god that I'm not walking around with something attached to me. I will also never enjoy waking up in the middle of the night out of nowhere and enjoy the quiet calmness of my house while everyone but me is asleep, I'll be looking at those shadows in my room a lot different from now on.
Autumn
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this book via Edelweiss+ to give an honest review.

What pulled me to request this book was the word exorcist I love movies that have possession in them just because that is a world that is really unknown. For me this was a quick read; all I really remember is I started with chapter 1 and within 30 minutes I was on chapter 12. I felt as though I was flying by with the reading of what this author was going through and what she has saw.

This story is told by the author she is someone who
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
I expected an interesting take on a controversial and wide-ranging topic, instead I got what felt like a plug for the author’s business with a healthy side of victim blaming. The tone is reminiscent of the kind of person who corners you at a party to talk at length about how empathic they are. Lame.
Grace Troxel
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: http://bookswithoutanypictures.com/20...

Have you ever found yourself in an airport with nothing to read and a dead battery on your e-reader? A couple months ago I was traveling home from my friends’ wedding and found myself in exactly this situation. I ducked into an airport bookstore and saw Sister of Darkness: Chronicles of a Modern Exorcist by R.H. Stavis. Airport bookstores tend to have slim pickings aside from bestselle
WooWooSpooky❥
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whoa. I.....uh.... feel like I need to sage myself, hold my crystals, burn some herbs, sing, laugh and do anything to bring myself to a very high vibrational space and then when I feel depression kicking in, turn my head over my shoulder and say, "F^ck off!" (Which, btw, I do anyways, but I'm talking going waaaaay more out this time!)

What a mind blowing book. If you want to read this and enjoy it, I feel you need to have an open mind. If you go in with nothing but defensiveness up, you're going
Lindsay Munroe
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clives, Wraiths, Tricksters, Collectors, Furbies, Realm Walkers, Poofs, and Sandman....these are just some of the entities that Rachel Stavis says are plaguing 99% of the world’s population. As a secular exorcist (think the complete opposite of the masculine robed priest brandishing crosses and distributing holy water showers), Stavis claims that she’s been able to see these entities her entire life. And about a decade ago, she also claims that she unlocked the power to remove them.
Now, Hollywo
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
I keep alternating between one star and two, because the stories themselves were super interesting, but it is just hard for me personally to take someone seriously who claims to be the only person in the world who can do something.

I am always interested in books about paranormal activities, mainly experiences with ghosts/hauntings, but the sub title about a modern exorcist hooked me. Unfortunately the rest of the book was sub-par from what I was expecting, and the writing was not all that great
RiRi
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
While reading the introduction to this book I had a bad feeling. The feeling you get when you get your hands on a delicious looking desert, only to bite into it and discover it to be bland and kinda icky.
I wanted to finish this out of some masochistic completionist compulsion but has to give up.
My advice to you is to do the same, only before you’ve picked up this book.
While I am not a skeptic and am actually likely to believe that what the author claims is true I couldn’t not get past the horri
Ashley  Osborn
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel is such a beautiful soul! Although I don't know whether or not I believe in demons, I do believe in energy and that the way you take care of yourself has a huge effect on your life. Rachel gives you all of the ways you can higher your frequency and become a more positive being. And she is so damn interesting!
Kelly Hager
As a caveat, I love religious horror; it always freaks me out. But I don't believe in demons or possession or the devil or any of the typical premises. So it's both super obvious and very weird that I would want to read this book, right? And yet here we are.

This is a very interesting book, and Rachel Stavis tells it well. She is obviously more of an expert in this than I am, and if she says it's real, who am I to be like, "Yeah...no, I don't think there are entities everywhere and that almost li
Lesia Schnur
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sister of Darkness: The Chronicles of a Modern Exorcist
“I’m just Rachel Stavis, the exorcist next door.”
Self-professed “Goth Barbie” is not your stereotypical exorcist. She’s not a Catholic priest. In fact, she’s non-denominational. She’s incredibly likeable. But most importantly: She’s genuine.
Exorcists need not be Catholic priests. Hollywood likes portraying exorcists as male priests. It’s an oversimplification yet one that audiences expect. Peruse any motion picture listing of movies on exo
Heather Zehnder
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
got to page 65 before giving up. first she says she not into Reiki because it deals in "invisible" energy. then she goes on to explain how she works with invisible energy. she also says she has a 100% success rate with exorcisms. not having a single mistake during the learning of a craft is unprecedented. finally I gave up on page 65 because that author states she can see Clives in pictures. that would mean these entities reflect light. it then follows that the existence of these entities would ...more
P.
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quick read and interesting to hear Stavis's experiences and beliefs. The author thinks that saying you're not judgmental right after you say something extremely judgmental negates the judgment of the statement, but I don't think that's true. After a while, the humblebragging about "highmindedness" really started to grate. But I guess I feel that way because I'm low frequency and probably have a bunch of entities attached to me.
Chelsea Bohner
Mar 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn’t actually finish this book, because I couldn’t, because it was garbage. I didn’t actually expect to believe the accounts of a real life exorcist, but if you’re going to make shit up for attention, at least try to make it interesting/scary. Fluffy gray blobs with eyes that you call “furbys” are not very convincing “demons”.
Claire
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
This seemed like it would be a very interesting read. The author is way too into herself. I couldn’t even finish this one, it wasn’t about exorcisms, it was more about what a fantastic person Rachel finds herself to be. Super lame read.
Jeff
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Hmmmm. . .I don't know where to begin, so I don't think I will.
Joe Crowe
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book about a real-life exorcist includes way-out stories about way-out stuff.

It's also inspirational and moving,and the author ties in her personal story with culture and society.

It includes an incredible quote that is probably a massive understatement. "Unfortunately, not all dead people come to me with good news."
Gianna
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Alan D.D.
Such an amazing book. It kills everything I initially thought about exorcisms, how they worked, performed and even helps the reader to have a base if interested in doing them if they are able to read between the lines.
Sister of Darkness is filled with a lot of stories and examples that make it easier to have a better understanding of what the authors explains and tells, making it even a more dynamic experience in all of its pages.
Totally waiting for a new book by Stavis!
Syd Wachs
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book, and I have a lot of feels about it. I read it in 4 days, processing everything she shared, and as much as the paranormal excites me (also finding someone who encounters entities on a regular basis), I had a couple of turn-offs.

I loved Rachel's humor. She had me giggling more than once, and I love how she puts her personality into the book. It seems a lot of people don't like how she talks about herself as "Goth Barbie" but I dig it. It makes her stand out. It create
Andy
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! I found this book incredibly enlightening on so many levels. Although, I never got to train in energy work (i.e. Reiki), I have had it practiced on myself and seen it worked on others. Ms. Stavis' book presents her wonderful experience and exposure about energy practices and ways to incorporate simple practices and rituals into our day to day lives. In her work, she delves much deeper in her practice of exorcism and expelling negative energies. Besides her work, she also gives ...more
Katie Heflin
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caroline
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wasn't worth my time
Penny
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's so hard for me to bomb a book, but this one is a bomb. I don't even know where to begin with what bothered me most. I read to page 200, wanting to finish. But after the chapter on the Cecil hotel--which was clearly a promotion for an upcoming documentary--I'd had it. To tell me all this stuff and then NOT tell me how it ended? WHAT?!?!?

And the ego. I'm the only one...there's no one like me...I'm the only one that can help... It occurred to me several times to count up the number of personal
Leah Andrews
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I read the title and description, I was interested. R.H. Stavis is a non-denominational excorcist for celebrities and I was hoping for some juicy stories of her exorcism experiences. While I am definitely a skeptic, I love a good demonic possession story. Instead of telling a lot of these stories, it's mostly a woo-woo kind of self-help book about purging the evil spirits causing your depression or anger issues or whatnot by using magical crystals and essential oils to "raise your vibration ...more
Gina
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would have read this book in one sitting because I was hooked right from the start, but because I started at night, I knew I'd be afraid to turn the lights out if I kept going. That said, the first half is dark and scary because it covers the dark entities and the exorcisms, but Rachel has a great sense of humor and knows when to lighten things up. The second half of the book is what I needed. The past two years have been not the best years for me and many people I know, and I love that Rachel ...more
Jayne Lamb
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
A few pages in, I thought this might be so bad it's good - by the first chapter, I was disappointed to find it was just plain so bad.
The writing level was somewhere in the 'talented 14 year old' area. Stavis is not only absolutely unique on Earth, she claims, but has also had visitations from Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed. It's very clear that the imagery in here is drawn from straight-to-DVD horror movies with shonky CGI.
Some of it (the *literal* demonization of sex workers, survivors of sexual a
Merielle Kazakoff
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came to my attention by way of The Paranormal Podcast, which is one of the podcasts I listen to when I have to drive somewhere that requires some mileage. After one such drive and listening to the interview between host Jim Harold and Stavis, I was intrigued to learn more and made sure I stopped by a bookstore (I own a few books thanks to this podcast). The ‘R’ stands for Rachel, who is a 30-something, non-denominational, pro bono exorcist living in Los Angeles. She’s also a screenwrit ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Graveyard (Ed & Lorraine Warren #1)
  • Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Cases of a Forensic Anthropologist
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Freshman Year of Life: Essays That Tell the Truth About Work, Home, and Love After College
  • You Should Have Left
  • Flowers in the Attic/Petals on the Wind (Dollganger, #1-2)
  • The Ghost Photographer: A Hollywood Executive's True Story of Discovering the Real World of Make-Believe
  • My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers
  • Out to Sea: A Parents' Survival Guide to the Freshman Voyage
  • Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power
  • Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud
  • The Journey: A Message of Hope and Harmony for Our Earth and Our Spirits
  • The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia
  • We Lived in Heaven: Spiritual Accounts of Souls Coming to Earth
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • Understanding Socialism