Start by marking “Odd Child Out (Jim Clemo #2)” as Want to Read:
Odd Child Out (Jim Clemo #2)

Odd Child Out

(Jim Clemo #2)

How well do you know the people you love…?

Best friends Noah Sandler and Abdi Mahad have always been inseparable.  But when Noah is found floating unconscious in Bristol's Feeder Canal, Abdi can't--or won't--tell anyone what happened.

Just back from a mandatory leave following his last case, Detective Jim Clemo is now assigned to look into this unfortunate accident.  But tr
Published October 3rd 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Odd Child Out, please sign up.
Bn I don't think so. I actually read Odd Child Out and finished the entire book without realizing there was a previous book with the same character! I re…moreI don't think so. I actually read Odd Child Out and finished the entire book without realizing there was a previous book with the same character! I read What She Knew as well, but I didn't make the connection before they were spaced apart. My friend pointed out it was the same character after the fact. I did wonder why they were making references to something in the detectives past, but never said what it was (just hinted at it), but now that I know it's the same detective from the other book it makes sense.(less)
Jayna I also felt it started very slowly. Plus I had a lot of questions and nothing ever seemed to get answered. It did get better, and overall, I enjoyed t…moreI also felt it started very slowly. Plus I had a lot of questions and nothing ever seemed to get answered. It did get better, and overall, I enjoyed the book. (less)

Start your review of Odd Child Out (Jim Clemo #2)
Diane S ☔
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Compelling, but don't go into this book expecting a suspenseful read, I found this book to be much more and less than that. Two young teen boys, friends because of their difference, one white, Noah, struggling with cancer and the long effects of hospitalizations, the other Somali, Abdi, here with his family after his family spent years in a camp. They bond because they are basically two outcasts. Become best friends, do everything together until one day one boy almost drowned and the other c ...more
Paromjit
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first read of author Gilly Macmillan and I was really impressed at this novel that speaks to us of the social and political issues that are permeating and dividing our world. It is a multilayered emotive, atmospheric and character driven mystery featuring the recent return of Detective Jim Clemo after undergoing counselling with Dr Manelli on his mandatory leave. Set in Bristol, Fifteen year old friends, Noah Sandler and Abdi Mahdi are the odd couple, Noah is white and from a privileg ...more
Julie
Odd Child Out by Gilly McMillian is a 2017 William Morrow publication.

Deeply absorbing literary suspense.

Inspector Jim Clemo is back at work, after having completed his requisite counseling. His first assignment, on the surface, is a low priority case, a probable accident.

However, the circumstances are murky and the incident did leave a terminally ill boy in a coma and another boy so traumatized he can’t – or won’t- speak.

The question Clemo and his partner much determine is if foul play was i
Linda
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
"The atoms of my soul are fading, dissolving, disappearing."

What exactly is the tinder that sparks one to be drawn to the flame of another individual's life? Sometimes we go willingly, and more often than not, our paths cross and intersect by chance. The ending result can't but leave a deeply indelible mark on that very soul.

Gilly Macmillan presents a tale of people acting and reacting to the simple humanity in all of us. Her characters reflect the heavy-duty mileage clocked on internal odometer
Liz
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4.5 stars, rounded up

This is not your standard mystery. Among other things, it deals with racism and discrimination, exclusion and privilege, not to mention rabid dog journalism, making it all seem especially current. It’s really more of a character study and a very well done one at that.

It’s a beautifully written book. “When she swallows, all she tastes is fear”. The book is told from multiple POV, including Noah’s, who is in a medically induced coma. It serves to keep you off kilter, unsure o
*TANYA*
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed this book. I read the first book in this series and it was “okay” but the author completely redeemed herself with this book. FANTASTIC!!
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Best friends sometimes do unexpected things. Abdi and Noah were best friends and did something that no one would expect.

The unexpected incident obviously brought the police in along with the two silent friends. Noah was put into a coma because of his injuries, and Abdi wasn't talking.

ODD CHILD OUT was definitely a study of personalities and human emotions. Each character seemed to not fit with each other, and I thought it was odd that they were family members as well as friends. I did like the "
Brenda
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noah's family consists of his father, a world traveling photographer, and his mother, who is 100% invested in Noah's health and longevity. Noah is 15, was diagnosed with cancer at a young age, and has just learned that he does not have much longer to live. Abdi was an infant when his family arrived in Bristol as Somalian refugees. His father drives a taxi for a living, but Abdi attends the same prestigious school as Noah because he received a full scholarship. The language barrier makes communic ...more
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
Enter the giveaway and check out all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine. Giveaway ends 10/31/17 11:59pm EST.

This is another book that first caught my attention at Book Expo 2017. Though I hadn’t read What She Knew, the first DI Jim Clemo book, I had absolutely no problem at all reading this book as a stand-alone.

Odd Child Out drew me in straightaway. It is a very steady page-turner. There are several reasons for this but the first is that this is the “smartest” mystery/thriller I’ve read in a v
Brenda
Detective Jim Clemo’s last visit with the counsellor after six months enforced leave left him keen to get back to work. He knew things might be a bit awkward with his fellow officers, but he was prepared for that. When he walked into the office the following day, he was immediately thrust into a case which involved two fifteen-year-old boys – best friends. Noah Sandler and Abdi Mahad had been friends for a long time; Abdi arrived in England as a baby when his parents and elder sister Sofia escap ...more
Kristy
The second book in Gilly Macmillan's excellent DI Jim Clemo series finds Jim back in similar circumstances from the first--working against time to save a child. Jim has returned from leave after the Ben Finch case, and he's ready to redeem himself in the eyes DCI Fraser and his peers. He's assigned what looks to be a terrible accident: best pals Noah Sadler and Abdi Mahad are out late one evening when teenage Noah falls into a local canal, rendering him unconscious. Abdi refuses to speak about w ...more
Fictionophile
Noah Sadler and Abdi Mahad are best friends. They are both fifteen years old, very clever, and if truth be told, more than a bit 'nerdy'. They couldn't be more different, but that doesn't matter to them. Ostracized by many of their peers, their relationship is strong and as complex as the chess moves they play. Noah Sadler has terminal cancer and comes from a privileged white family. Abdi is a black Muslim Somalian refugee. They both attend a prestigious school, Noah because his parents pay the ...more
 Li'l Owl
Two teenage boys. Inseparable. From day one.
Abdi's on scholarship to attend Bristol's elite private school. Noah attends the same school, at least when he's in between rounds of treatment to fight cancer. They met on the first day that Noah returned to school after yet another treatment. They've been best friends ever since. Neither one cares that Abdi is black, his family escaped from a Somialan refugee camp when Abdi was an infant. Noah is white, from a prestigious family. Abdi is healthy. No
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

I felt like a mongrel dog, compared to them. Unwanted, strange-looking, and kicked so many times I didn’t know how to do anything apart from cower.

Noah’s Bucket List Item No. 12: Be cremated. I can’t stand the thought of being buried. I want to be turned into smoke and air so I can be everywhere all at once.

My Review:

Odd Child Out was my first experience with both the complex and guarded DI Jim Clemo and his talented creator Gilly Macmillan, I want to make a habit of this pair. B
Erin
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed

The awkward moment when you insist that you love an author and that you've read many of their books, only to discover that you mixed said author up with another one. For the record, I plead that book publishers all tend to like the same type of covers.

So, "Odd Child Out" is my *ahem* first Gilly Macmillan read and it certainly will not be my last. Once I started to read, I just couldn't put the book down. Told from the perspective of multiple characters, Odd Child Out isn't just about
Judy D Collins
Gilly Macmillan returns following What She Knew and The Perfect Girl with her latest, ODD CHILD OUT —her third highly-charged compelling psychological (literary fiction) suspense.

Set in Bristol, meet two teen boys from different backgrounds: Noah Sadler— a native-born British boy, and Abdi Mahad — a refugee from Somalia.

An opening scene. One boy jumps near a canal at the edge of the water . . . He lands, gets up and begins running. One pleading with the other.

A suicide attempt? What happe
Myrna
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This one is quite a slow burner yet complex and mysterious. As I expected, some of the themes are quite dark and sad in this novel. There are a few twists and the ending - WOW. I got very emotional. The characters are interesting and realistic. Plus, I like the multiple viewpoints but the characters' audio narration could have been better. Look forward to what Macmillan will do next.
Dale Harcombe
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars.
Noah Sadler and Abdi Mahal have been best friends ever since they met at school. Noah has had cancer ever since Abdi has known him. Abdi, who is from Somalia, does his best to try and support Noah. But then a horrific incident occurs. DI Jim Clemo is back after and enforced leave of absence. At first he wonders why he has been assigned to what appears to be an accident but as the truth emerges a lot more details from that night, as well as from the past, are brought to ligh
Alyssa Gil
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
(Note: I received a free ARC of this book via a Goodreads giveaway.)

This is one of those books that I don't even really know how to review, because it was so bland that I don't feel like I have much to say about it. But I would feel bad not reviewing a book I won an ARC of, so I'll say as much as I can!

From the very beginning, I was distracted from the story by the lackluster writing. This was my first experience with this author's work, other than The Perfect Girl, which I DNFed after a few pag
Ace
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I really like the way Gilly Macmillan writes her suspense stories. Her characters are always so real to me - flawed and vulnerable. In this second Clemo book, she manages to weave together cancer and refugees in Bristol into a mystery that had me turning the pages as fast as I could.

Spoilers below for trigger warnings.

(view spoiler)
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Little, Brown Book Group Uk for a review copy of Odd Child Out, the second novel to feature Bristol based DI Jim Clemo.

Jim returns to CID after some time out of the frontline for stress. His first case is seen as an easy return with him being asked to investigate an incident at the canal where one boy fell in and is now in a coma and the other is unable to talk but it turns out to be anything but.

What an amazing read. Ms MacMillan covers so much from such a si
Amanda McGill
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I was one of the few that didn't enjoy the Odd Child Out, the 3rd novel by Gilly Macmillan. It's disappointing since I did enjoy her previous 2 novels.

It's hard to put my finger on what was wrong with the novel. It was a combination of lack of mystery, numerous points of view (it would of helped to have the heading of the character's point of view) and slow pace.

Overall, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Nancy McFarlane
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Media exploitation of events to gain an audience and the bias and prejudice against immigrants trying hard for a new life are front and center as Detective Jim Clemo tries to find out what happened the night that young Noah Sadler either fell or was pushed into a canal. His young Somali friend Abdi was with him but he refused to say a word suffering from what everyone thought was shock, and before the police could pressure him to talk he ran away. It is up to Jim to discover if, as he suspects, ...more
KC
Best friends Noah, a British lad and Abdi, a Somalian refugee, were inseparable. One evening, Noah was found unconscious and floating in a local canal, a result from either falling in or being pushed. He is rushed to the hospital alongside Abdi, who had witnessed his friend's accident. Abdi ends up traumatized unable to speak, while Noah is put into an induced coma. Detective Jim Clemo is back from a mandatory leave and assigned to the case. The detective desperately tries to unravel this myster ...more
Ally
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited when I won this advanced copy in a Goodreads giveaway. This is the 3rd book I've read by Gilly MacMillan and I've enjoyed them all.

Odd Child Out is not your typical suspense book. It deals with tough subjects like childhood cancer and immigration. I read tons of suspense/thrillers and they start to blend together after a while. This story will definitely be one that will stick with me.

Highly recommend!
DeAnna
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm in the minority on this one! Unfortunately I thought this book was soooo boring. I really liked the first book but not this one. 😁😕🤔
Djamilah
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow.
Marianne
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Odd Child Out is the second book in the Jim Clemo series by British author, Gilly Macmillan. Two Bristol teenagers, on a sleepover. Good boys, smart, a bit nerdy, inseparable best friends. How, then, in the early hours of the morning, does Noah Sadler come to be unconscious in the Feeder Canal while Abdi Mahan stands at the edge? By the time DI Jim Clemo catches the case, on his first day back after six months of leave, Noah is in the ICU in an induced coma and Abdi hasn’t spoken a word.

Clemo a
K.
Trigger warnings: cancer, death, death of a sibling, childbirth, refugee experiences, violence, gun violence, mentions of rape, racism, mentions of domestic violence.

3.5 stars.

I wanted to love this because it was such an intriguing concept. Unfortunately, I just...kind of found it rather dull. There was a LOT happening in the story and it jumped around between so many different perspectives that I found it difficult at times to keep everything straight in my head.

Additionally, it turns out thi
Melody
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars)

Gilly Macmillan's latest release, Odd Child Out, continues DI Jim Clemo's story from the previous novel ( What She Knew ) where he took a mandatory leave after a case which still leaves him shattered. Though he is back into the workforce in this book, he still see his psychologist, Dr Francesca Manelli, from time to time and is slowly getting his act together when another assignment is handed out to him.

Noah Sadler, a white teenage boy is found floating unconscious in the Feeder Ca
Advanced Copies f...: Giveaway Contest - Odd Child Out by Gilly Macmillan 1 22 Oct 29, 2017 11:36AM

• Someone We Know
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Wives
  • Woman on the Edge
  • When the Lights Go Out
  • I Found You
  • The Child (Kate Waters, #2)
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • Bring Me Back
  • A Stranger in the House
  • Then She Was Gone
  • The Perfect Mother
Gilly Macmillan is the New York Times & Sunday Times bestselling author of TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, THE NANNY, WHAT SHE KNEW (previously published as BURNT PAPER SKY in some territories), THE PERFECT GIRL, ODD CHILD OUT & I KNOW YOU KNOW.

Gilly is Edgar Award nominated and an ITW award finalist. Her books have been translated into over 20 languages.

She grew up in Swindon, Wiltshire and also lived in

Jim Clemo (2 books)
  • What She Knew (Jim Clemo #1)