Start by marking “Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns (Cowboys Don't, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns (Cowboys Don't, #2)

Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns

(Cowboys Don't #2)

Cowboy Danny Boone—a name he made up one drunken night and has regretted ever since—harbors a big past and yearns for a small future. A short, bright career as a champion bull rider almost ended in his death when his homophobic father discovered Danny was gay. Now Danny longs for a plot of land he can build a ranch house on and enough money to make up for some of the educa ...more
Published March 22nd 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

Wendy

8241146.gif (32</span>
  <span id=I haven't read the previous book in this series, so it's safe to say that this one can be read as a stand alone. I usually don't read a lot of books that have a femme/flamboyant hero, because I am much more into the whole big bad alpha thing. What I do love however, are cowboys...they are my kryptonite. I was gonna go with 3,5 stars for this book, but I rounded up because well...like I said....cowboys !!!

8241146.gif (320×181)

Danny is a ranch hand at a dude ranch, which is owned by Rand (book 1). He used to be a famous bull-rider in the past, but his dad put a stop to that, in a very cruel way. Danny changed his name and even though, he still rides on rodeo's from time to time, to make some money, he tries to stay as far away from his past as he can.

large.gif (500×281)

Danny also has a very specific preference, when it comes to his romance/sex life. He loves flamboyant men, but he loves it even more, when they top him. Finding such a mystical unicorn isn't very easy though.

giphy.gif (500×221)

Until one day,such a rare unicorn walks into the ranch as a guest.... Danny feels an immediate attraction towards the flamboyant man. There is only one problem. Laurie didn't come alone, he is with his boyfriend. His very rich boyfriend.

Apollo-13-Houston-We-Have-a-Problem-Tom-Hanks.gif (500×214)

While Danny is trying to outrun his past, Laurie is struggeling with his future. He wants to do right by his parents and he knows his boyfriend could be a big help, but shouldn't his feelings matter. He knows Grove is not the man for him. What he really wants is a go at that cowboy.

Luckily for both of them, he gets that chance ....

"Hang on. It's gonna be a bumpy ride".

lipsilhoutte.jpg (960×854):

But what will happen when Danny is confronted with his past and Laurie's future gets in the way....

This book was heavy on the insta-love, I would have liked it more if the two of them would have gotten to know each other a bit better. I also would have liked to read more about Danny and his father. The situation between them was quite volatile and it was fixed a bit too fast and easy for my taste. Still ..it was a very nice read, even though my preference for alpha men has not changed.

In the end, I am happy that Danny found his unicorn....

"Everyone knows it takes a real cowboy to ride a unicorn".

822f7237390963.573e6ddde9da7.gif (400×556)

coollogo_stopcoollogo_comstpo2

This review has been posted on Dirty Books Obsession

Jay
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: only people who are not sensitive about cheating in romances.
Shelves: dnf, fucking-cheater
DNF @ 40% -- This should have come with a cheater alert. Granted, it's about as small a cheating incident as it can possibly be, and Laurie's boyfriend (if my conjecture about him is correct) is a real piece of shit, but that doesn't excuse what happened. I continued for another chapter, but I couldn't get the yuck-factor out of my head. All I can think is that if Laurie thinks it's okay to suck some other guy's dick while he's someone's boyfriend, what's to keep him from cheating on Danny durin ...more
Pianka *call me PIU*
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

‘Cowboys Don’t Ride Unicorns’ is the second book in the ‘Cowboys Don’t’ series by Tara Lain. The main MC of this book is Danny Boone, a cowboy who works for Rand, one of the MC's from the first book.

This story was a far better improvement on the first book in this series. The MCs here had quite sizzling chemistry while also being in a very complicated situation to actually work out. Well, what is a romance if it does not have a little angst and whole lotta anticipation*winks*

Danny Boone is a ranch hand in Rand’s dude ranch in Californianticipation*winks*
Dannystars
‘Cowboys
Lelyana
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dsp, 2017, arc, mm, cowboy
I liked this one better than the previous book with Rand and Kai.
Danny and Laurie were definitely made for each other.
Lawrence a.k.a Laurie is a flamboyant and beautiful man, with a great sense of fashion, rich boyfriend and a city guy.
Not compatible with Danny the bull rider at all.
But don't ever under estimate Laurie. He's probably looked like a girl, but he can make a bull rider fall on his feet. Literally! And he can fight man! What a guy!
I liked the chemistry b
Carra
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
You might think from Laurie's description that he's an over-the-top flamboyant type, but really he's not. Yes, he may sport the accoutrements like the makeup and the lacy nightwear and such, but he honestly doesn't flaunt it. I liked Laurie, though I did think he went way too long letting others run his life, trying to make everyone else happy.

I'm a huge fan of Danny, hot cowboy with a hard, damaged, mostly hidden past. I admired his determination, and the respect he showed others. I
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns tackles quite a few pre-conceptions, and it did so with amazing characters! I think Danny and Laurie are my favorites by Lain *sighs* I'm still swooning, they're so cute!

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

I was such a happy reader with Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns. It started with D
Lucy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Danny is a ranch hand at the guest ranch owned by his friends, Rand and Kai. He had been a champion bull rider in the past until his father took his money and had hi beaten nearly to death. He enjoys the work he does on the ranch and wants nothing more than to go to school and have a little land he can call his own. He occasionally rides the second string rodeos to win the money to put towards that dream, even as he has to be extraordinarily careful that no one recognizes him or knows his real n ...more
Jacq ~
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Starts with a bang, then turns into another slow burn...
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Loved the audio on this one - at first it felt a bit exaggerated but quickly I grew to love it. The story was enjoyable and flowed really well - the secondary characters really made this one come alive. The contrast in the Two MC's really played well here - and dealing with another "sport" that is homophobic brought tragedy and triumph. This reminded me a bit of a favorite MM series of mine about bull riders/cowboys.
Lorraine Lesar
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Tara Lane, how do I love thee………

…….and I love you even more for writing this book. You concocted the perfect blend of sexy, smouldering, sinfully delicious offerings in Danny Boone and Laurie Belmont.

But it wasn't a Yee-Haw ride all the way. The author galloped in with a nasty, bigotry side-story, showing the devastation that it leaves on people’s souls when it touches you (yep, it was tissue time). For me, it was about love and hope, fighting for what you want and bei
Calila
*A copy of this book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

I really really loved this one. I enjoyed the interactions between the MCs. I thought it was really sweet, Danny SEES Laurie and Laurie's never had that before. It changes things for him, though I do think he was on his way to changing before he meet Danny. Danny is such a GOOD guy. He just wants to own his land and go to school and life has been cruel to him. His father was a horrible excuse for a human
Dee Wy
Fabulous story! The audio was awesome and I wish I could give it more stars.
Ariadna
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
This novel had SO MUCH potential, y'all! And yet it became a holy mess so fast I got whiplash!

FWIW, I have read exactly one and a half books by this author. Liked the first one OK, was super creeped out by the second one. Like, to the point of DNF'ing it.

The blurb for this one sounded fine (a butchy cowboy dude is turned on by femme-y guys--especially if said femme-y guys top him.) I gotta say that, the first 20% or so was going along just right: we had met Danny, the cowboy, as wel
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
This is the second book in the series by this author but you can easily read it as a stand alone. This is about Danny, a ranch hand and rodeo star who works for Rand and Kai (from book 1) at their ranch. I liked that Danny was a rough and tough cowboy. He is pure alpha maleness but has a fond spot for the pretty boys. He likes his dates a bit on the femme side.

Laurie and his current boyfriend show up at the ranch for a week of horseback riding and sight seeing. His boyfriend is an a$$ and every
Wax
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, borrowed
I liked the MCs - Danny and Laurie were so much fun to read about. However, I hated their parents, especially Danny's father and Laurie's mother. And some of the other characters were too one-dimensional. Wish there had been more relationship development.
Dani Elle Maas
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
fantastic edition to this series. Tara Lain at her best for sure!
Brooklyn
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
I just love Tara Lain. Her books are definitely comfort reads for me. And although I haven't read book 1, I don't think I suffered in having read book 2 first. I love how Laurie was all femme yet he was a spitfire with guts. The switch from the classic roles between Laurie (super femme, queeny top) and Danny ("manly" cowboy bottom) were awesome!
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
We met Danny in book 1 of this new series from Tara.
Danny Boone is not your regular rodeo bull rider. He works on the ranch for Rand and Kai. They all have become a family since Rand returned from his vacation with a husband and 2 children. Danny loves what he does but since seeing the happiness his friends have , he wants that for himself. Danny knows he will never find what he is looking for so he settles. Throughout the story we learn more about Danny's past and why he hides what he wants and does what
Qin
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
As I have not read the previous book, which laid down the foundations of this series taking place in a dude ranch out there in the boonies, my appreciation of this tale seems to be somewhat impaired, for I did not get quite enough of a grasp of the character of Danny, the former bull-riding glory turned ranch-hand. The end result is that his sexual preference for toppy femme men of the pushy and flamboyant variety never really made sense to me from a behavioral and psychological point of view. W ...more
Sandra
3.5 stars I didn't quite get as emotionally invested in these guys as I did with Kai and Rand in 'Cowboys Don't Come Out', but it was a great continuation to the story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It takes place mostly on Rand's ranch, so we get to revisit our whole cast of characters including Aliki and Loni. I liked Danny a lot, he was sweet and genuine, and completely relatable.

Danny and Laurie had good chemistry, without it feeling skeevy like they were cheating. I was worried about that w
Sylvie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opposites attracting in the very best way!

Tara Lain is a fantastic writer. Whether she's writing about shifters, or fairy tale send-ups, or anything else, you know it's gonna be great!

In Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns, Tara turns her attention to - you guessed it - cowboys! Danny Boone is a ranch hand and former bull rider who works with his friends Kai and Rand, at their guest ranch in Chico, California.He gives riding lessons, takes care of the horses, and generally does what nee
Achim
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-contempory
3.5
A blow job is cheating is cheating is cheating (view spoiler) and it didn't seem necessary for the story progess. I already understood that Laurie has a "challenging" character.

That said and out of the way it was the right story for a weekend when the winter weather made
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is the story of a sweet romance between two men from very different worlds. After he was attacked by his homophobic father, Danny assumed a new name and left the rodeo circuit to work on his friend Rand’s dude ranch. Laurie is a pampered interior decorator who arrives on the ranch with his rich boyfriend and a car full of designer luggage. Somehow, the rugged cowboy and the affluent city boy are drawn together during Lauri
Claudia
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Spoiler warning: I really tried not to spoiler anything but some could interpret some of my review like that ...

I think I have some troubles with Tara Lains writing ... I always love the stories, I really like the MCs and how their characters are drawn ... but in the end there is always something missing.

take this book for example: I absolutely adored Danny, I loved Laurie because he really owned who he was (with some difficulties sometimes but still) ... but I could not
Amanda
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-cowboys
I thoroughly enjoyed Danny and Laurie. I have read Cowboys Don't Come Out by if you haven't, this can be read as a standalone.

Danny is a ranch hand at Rand's (book 1) dude ranch. But he is also a sometimes bull rider. He is saving to but his own ranch and go to school. Danny is also looping to find his rare unicorn.

Laurie is a decorator and he is one of the most beautiful man Danny has ever seen. Laurie and his boyfriend (a totally jackass) come to the ranch for a get away and Danny is struck.
Buffy Kennedy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book just defies all typical stereotypes and expectations. Danny is just the best. I adored him and everything about him. He’s got this amazingly good heart and rides a bull like it’s natural while also recognizing the danger. Laurie is a glorious contradiction. He’s kind of badass while also lovely. He’s had a somewhat sad existence, but it turns around in beautiful fashion. Laurie and Danny are absolutely adorable together and just perfect. Love the ranch and the fact that it puts Rand an ...more
DeeNeez
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun, hot, and kickass. Loved it! Laurie is one kick ass high class femme with a real hidden dominant side. Danny is a hot cowboy ranch hand, bull rider who needs someone like Laurie. A perfect fit! I loved their personalities and how they bring out the strengths in each other. And I loved learning about the bull riding. Well done!
Shannon
This would have been a 5 star read for me had their relationship been more developed. It felt like it was just beginning to me and I really just wanted the book to keep going to we could finally see them together. Loved both men so much!!
F.
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another pleasant surprise, didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Liked that Laurie wasn't a typecast "Twink" but actually knew how to fight, make decisions and wasn't a "bottom". Loved how the two men or rather Laurie managed to sort out what he wanted and went for it. May have to read Rand and Kit's story sometime.
Cathy Brockman
Danny used to be a bull-rider in the circuit but quit after nearly being beaten to death. Now he rides for fun and small purses in closer events to the ranch he works at. He is gay and doesn't hide it, but he does have a secret.

Laurie is a guest at the McIntyre Ranch with his wealthy boyfriend Grove. He is instantly attracted to Danny but knows he has to keep Grove for several reasons.

I loved this story. I love that Danny isn't the usual Macho, cowboy and that Laurie being effeminat
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Cowboy Homecoming (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • A Wild Ride (The Bullriders, #1)
  • The Terms of Release (The Release #1)
  • Worth the Coming Home (Love's Value, #1)
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • Lickety Split
  • It's a Good Life (Good-Time Boys, #5)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • Love, Like Water
  • Red Dirt Heart 3 (Red Dirt, #3)
  • Kyle (Legacy Ranch, #1)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 45 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world an ...more

Cowboys Don't (3 books)
  • Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • Cowboys Don't Samba (Cowboys Don't #3)