Start by marking “Roger Casement” as Want to Read:
Roger Casement

Roger Casement

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In the 1880s the Ulster Protestant Roger Casement worked as one of HM Stanley's volunteers in the Congo, before joining the British consular service. In 1904 he produced a devastating report which showed how the Congo Free State, far from being the model colony Leopold II of Belgium claimed it to be, was a ruthless commercial enterprise run with unrelenting cruelty for Leo ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Penguin UK

To ask other readers questions about Roger Casement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roger Casement

Lynne King
I wish to thank Peter Boyle, a GR friend, for providing the following link as it is very apt for this review:

I have many biographies but this one has to be my favourite and the book itself is so well structured, with extraordinary illustrations that are not to be forgotten.

Irish history for some obscure reason has always fascinated me. I don’t believe that I have any Irish genes but most of my friends are Irish, from both the republic and the north.

I had t
Tom
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
Casement was a complex, even contradictory man -- Irish Protestant who supported Irish rebellion but who also worked for Britain as diplomat, a position he used to expose the atrocities against Congolese by King Leopold, and against Putomayo Indians by rubber companies. He was convicted of treason against Britain for conspiring with Irish nationalists to smuggle weapons, and hanged in 1916, reviled as much as he had been revered earlier in his career. Like his countryman, Oscar Wilde, his legal ...more
Philip
Apr 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It almost goes without saying that Roger Casement is the most interesting person of the 20th Century.

Given how entirely controversial Casement's life was, I understand Inglis's impulse to keep it textual and dry. "We know that Casement did this and this." That being said, while incredibly fair and presumably accurate, Inglis's narrative lacks a certain casual readability.

Also, I have to say that the details of the early days of the Home Rule movement got a bit confused for me (being an American
Sues57 Schroeder
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
There is a lot of information in Inglis' book, but it could be better organized. It's written in an older style; more "impersonal" than current biographies. It's a good introduction though, to Casement (and interestingly, it presumes the reader has a good knowledge of events like the Boer War. So yes, it's rigorous in some ways, but vague in others.)
Denerick
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it

Republicans have a problem with Sir Roger Casement. Or rather I should say they have a problem with his homosexuality. Or rather, moreso, they deny his homosexuality.

Roger Casement was a humanitarian, an Irish patriot, a depressive, and a homosexual. Deal with it.
David