Start by marking “The Unfleshed: Tale of the Autopsic Bride” as Want to Read:
The Unfleshed: Tale of the Autopsic Bride

Read Book* *Different edition

The Unfleshed: Tale of the Autopsic Bride

Young Morrigan, the daughter of a local aristocrat, is full of innocence and life. Angus Wulfe is an eccentric and devious doctor who stalks her while he cultivates a plan to win her affection. Their two worlds collide in a grisly twist of fate when the Plague arrives on the shores of their town. With no cure in sight, and bodies dropping incrementally every day, the docto ...more
Paperback
Published January 21st 2017 by Stitched Smile Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Unfleshed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfleshed

Blodeuedd Finland
Wow this was really bad. At first I thought it was YA, but then came rape and torture and I was all wtf?

Then I thought it was the 1800s but then I was told it was 1349 *headdesk* Even worse. I guess the author know one thing about the middle ages and that is black death. There were SO MANY things wrong. Please, at least read one wiki page!

Oh and the writing was nothing to cheer for.

It was never horror, it was more disturbing and gross at times.

Omg the things wrong *shakes head* I feel like I kne
Nev Murray
"Lisa Vasquez has taken some interesting facts from our history and given them a distinctly evil twist, turning this story into a style of horror that some of our ancestral horror writers would be very proud of, if they had written it."

See here for the full review:

The Unfleshed

Ashley
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I almost never review books, but a new year/new habits. Plus I found this book so baffling I need to make an exception. The concept of this book, a take on the Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein story was an interesting idea. However, it was never successfully realized. There were formatting errors throughout the book and a very strange style of page breaks and an illustrated header on every page that was distracting. The sex and violence felt oddly disconnected to the largely narrative with cha ...more
Elizabeth
DNF at 8%, while it does have the creepiness, and the darkness as well as the gruesomeness in that I love about horror ,it's like I'm reading or trying to read a new take on Frankenstein ,which even though is a classical gothic horror , is not one of my favorite books to read. If I wanted to read or even re read Frankenstein I would and have but this unfortunately has some things in that is Frankenstein all the way but is a some what New take.On that note I'm not saying not to read it that's up ...more
Stacey
Jan 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: abandoned
Oh my...
Robin Lee
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Madman and Beloved Monster.

From the moment, I opened this novel and started to read, I couldn’t put it down. I was so engrossed in this world and the wicked horrors surrounding the situation, that I was up to 4 AM finishing it. If you love Gothic/Horror stories you will love this one. It’s a mix of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Victor Frankenstein, and evil, Jack the Ripper. (In fact, at one point in the story I thought that maybe this was how “Saucy Jack” got away so quickly without being caught). A
Yvonne Davies
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Set in plague hit England, the story follows Dr Angus Wulfe. An egocentric doctor who only had eyes for Morrigan, but due to his badly scarred face and the way he lusts after her she would not give him the time of day. However, when the plague hits her home, he knew that he could get what he wanted, if only he could make the cure. What cost to lives does it take to cure the love of his life.
From the opening scene, you know what type of man Dr Wulfe is. A Dr with no bedside manner, who whilst hav
Nicholas Paschall
Great attention to detail and character development. Easy to lose yourself in the story.
Melissa
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars**
Trigger warning for violence and rape.
This novel is not for the faint of heart.
The Black Plague wiped out thousands of people during the 14th century and this novel is no different. Angus Wulfe is the town's physician, although he has a bad reputation with his horrible bedside manner and creepy ways, because he is the only one in the town that can cure people of illnesses, he is able to be excused for this behavior.
Angus lusts after Morrigan, wanting her to one day be his bride. He w
Debbie Littley
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately drawn to this book by the cover, I know you should never judge a book by its cover but it is a great cover!

Luckily the story lived up to cover and I read it in 1 sitting not wanting to put it down!
Lisa Vasquez has taken some interesting facts from our history and given them a distinctly evil twist and has staked her claim in the masters of horror genre.

There are dwindling numbers in new horror writers so when 1 does come along like this, every horror fan will soon become a fan
Cathy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angus Wulfe is a medicine and is trying to find a cure for the plague. The doctor had a violent childhood
where he was abused and beaten by his father and housemaster. So his behavior against other people and his
understanding of love and pleasure is strongly disturbed.
He abducts women, mutilates and threatens his staff. When the girl, he is madly in love with, also is suffering
from the black death he does everything to save her life.

I really liked the book cover and the synopsis of the plot sound
Joan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What an utterly disturbing book...I loved it. England being part of war torn Europe now has to contend with the plague running rampant in the streets but there are other horrors that the people don't know about. Dr. Angus Wulfe has developed a very sick and twisted obsession on the young Morrigan and will do anything to possess her. I don't want to give anything away so let me just say that the character of Wulfe is a combination of Dr. Frankenstein, Jack the Ripper, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Marquis ...more
Tara
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this one down!

This was one of those books that drags you in and you just can't put down! Great story line, awesome character descriptions, and it made me want more chapter after chapter. Quite twisted as the author put it, and in such an amazing way. Can't wait to read more from this author and Stitched!
Laurie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. This book was awesome! I have been telling everyone I know about this book and how good it was. I was drawn in from the first page until the very last page. The characters were written so well. You got to know each of them and were sucked into the story. This is one I'll buy so I can read it again and again.
Nehemia's Corner Shelf
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first thing I loved about this book is the cover, it is beautiful and haunting, made me want to read it even before reading the summary. I enjoyed this book thoroughly, even though I am not a fan of horror stories. Vasquez's book was disturbing and intriguing at the same time, the characters and the plot kept me reading into the night.
WhatisAshreading
I was sent this ARC by the publisher and NetGalley. I almost DNF’d it, but decided to see if the ending had any redeeming qualities. It didn’t. The entire book felt disjointed and there were lots of pointless “scenes.” I love horror books, but this one was just gross versus being horrific. I feel like the plot had potential, but fell flat.
Larissa Bennett
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect, but I was not disappointed! This horrifying story grabbed me from the first page and never let go until the end. A well told story with characters that stayed with you. Truly disturbing and I loved it. A great play on the plague and the horrors that came with it!
Tanya W
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Like other reviewers have mentioned this book is rather on the gore side, and agree that it should come with some sort of warning label. I love scary books, but not like this. If you love Saw & Hostel movies then you may like this book.
Dsjm Reviews
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Jetana Mutter

*This book was provided for an honest review

The Black Death, or the bubonic plague if you want to get technical, was one of the worst killer diseases in recorded human history. What started on something as small as a flea on a rat had the power to knock out a massive amount of the human population- roughly about sixty percent. This disease came so quickly that most doctors were not able to come up with a cure fast enough, leaving the general population to fend for themse
Lisa Lee
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many other popular writers, Lisa Vasquez presents us with a twisted alternate history tale. At least one would like to assume it is alternate history. If such a monstrous thing occurred, well, we would not have any way to know for certain if it did or didn’t and that is a bit terrifying. But it is definitely twisted.

I will state for the record that I find the official synopsis to be an oversimplification of the book. For example, people say there is a fine line between love and obsession an
Chrissie Gerber
Generally, I don't gravitate towards these type of dark stories, but I made an exception for this one, as it's based on the Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein story. This one was, however, was a lot darker than anticipated, and some things just didn't seem to truly fit into the story.

First off, the romance in this one - just no. Mostly, I don't much like sex scenes that are overly descriptive. What made this one worse is that it had some fairly sadistic depictions and it's extremely hard to wra
Chuck Knight
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, an incredible interpretation of The Bride Of Frankenstein, starts with a shocking open, and races, like a locomotive of old, at a breakneck speed to an equally jaw-dropping conclusion! This book is a great read, full of nicely twisted and delectably evil characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and to be honest, there have only been a couple of books published by Stitched Smile Publications that I haven't really liked. Lisa Vasquez is the head of this incredible indie pub house. Sh ...more
Melissa Potter
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first full-length book by Lisa Vasquez and I will definitely be reading more! Set in the 1300's in plaque-ridden England, the plague is the least of this town's worry. A psychopathic doctor who is one of the few people that can treat people, but who only wants the one object of his desire. You feel for awhile that your watching as he slips further into depravity, but find out later this was at no point a catalyst for him. He's always been a psychopath. I found this book so refreshing ...more
Judith Price
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disturbingly excellent read

The author pulls us through a tale of horror with a heart-stopping nastiness that will make your toes curl in pain for the victims. The scenes are set in old England, and the author sets them with precision. Dr. Angus's character is so twisted that the human consciousness will be pressed to comprehend such madness. Angus, a delicious unpredictable villain.

I've read many horror genre novels, and this one had me swiping pages on my Kindle app. With tangential storylines,
Carole Rae
Blodeuedd and I did a joint discussion on this one: http://www.caroleraesrandomramblings....

But yes, overall, I was bummed by this. The concept was so unique and so interesting. The main character was interesting too, but the execution was an utter failure for me. It was hard to read because of the errors in historical matters.
Callie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. It's my first to read of Vasquez, but not my last. She does a great job developing interesting characters that hook your attention from start to finish. For anyone who enjoys horror, this should be on your list to read.
Elizabeth
Angus is a sadistic but successful doctor completely obsessed with a wealthy woman named Morrigan. The Black Death spreads rapidly across Europe and threatens his love and his city as a whole. The Unfleshed is a novel that feels scattered and confused. I didn't know until late the book what era it was in and so much basic information about the time is wrong. Plague doctors were not trained doctors and were not effectual. The reigning theory was miasmatism that saw bad air as the cause of ailment ...more
PJ Lea
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A shiver inducing tale.

A deeply disturbing story, a real horror book. A doctor with unrequited love who will do anything, including using the plague that is spreading across Europe, to gain his bride.
Reminiscent of many Victorian novels, it is evident that the author has researched her subject, and it shows in how good the story is.
I liked this book enough to read it twice in case I missed any detail. I was horrified and appalled by the main character so for this it had to have 5 stars.
An author
Lisa Swearengin
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frankenstein meets the Plague....

This is the first book of Lisa Vasquez's that I have read and I have to tell you that I am hooked!

Not only is the story deliciously horrifying, but Lisa's raw descriptiveness totally brings you into the story.

Here is how I loosely describe this story: unrequited love on several different levels, murder and torture all during the time of the plague.

Like I said before, this was my first Lisa Vasquez book but it definitely won't be my last! I am a new fan!!!

• Backs Against the Wall (Survival, #2)
  • Unbearable (Port Fare, #3)
  • Conjure (Tethered, #2)
  • The Wanderer (Rider, #1)
  • In A Heartbeat
  • The Nerd and the Marine (The Morrison Family, #1)
  • Devour (Death & Decay #1)
  • All for Allie (Shaken, #1.5)
  • Home Sweet Home (I Remember You, #2)
  • The Memory of Water
  • Out of the Dark #1
  • Love and Decay, Vol. Two (Love and Decay, #7-12)
  • Witch Hearts
  • Ordinary (Anything But, #1)
  • Destined (Desolation, #3)
  • Killshot (Icarus #1)
  • Death & the Zombie Apocalypse (Zombie Apocalypse, #2)
  • White Walls (Asylum, #2)
Lisa Vasquez designs horror with vivid, twisted dark stories that drag the reader into the pages. When she releases her grasp on them, her readers are left alone with those images. Some have even been reported having nightmares from the imprinted visuals inspired by her words. She takes this passion for writing horror to heart and spreads the love by mentoring, and volunteering as the Publisher's ...more