Start by marking “S (Ring, #5)” as Want to Read:
S (Ring, #5)

S

(Ring #5)

Twenty-one years after the legendary bestseller Ring, which spawned blockbuster films on both sides of the Pacific, and thirteen years after Birthday, the seeming last word on iconic villain Sadako and her containment, internationally acclaimed master of horror and Shirley Jackson Award-winner Koji Suzuki makes his much awaited returned to the famed trilogy's mind-blowing ...more
Published December 19th 2017 by Vertical (first published May 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about S, please sign up.
Scott Yes, there are numerous references to things from the previous novels that won't mean anything to you if you haven't read them.…moreYes, there are numerous references to things from the previous novels that won't mean anything to you if you haven't read them. (less)

Start your review of S (Ring, #5)
Tammie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark
I’ve greatly enjoyed the Ring series and S certainly doesn’t disappoint-a solid 4 stars for me. While S incorporates certain details from the previous novels, I don’t think readers necessarily need to read the previous books to enjoy S (though a limited/rough idea of what the Ring is about would be helpful). I have to admit that I’m a sucker for the cover (make sure to check out under the dust cover as well)-absolutely unique and creative.
Teresa
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
My mini-review of Birthday says the book is “A nice coda to the Ring trilogy.” That is now inaccurate since two more books in the series have appeared. This installment advances the story in time and technology, but too much of the action appears “off-stage”: not a good thing for a plot-driven work. A few sentences seem to come out of nowhere, but that might be a fault of the translation.

Except for the S-shape, the image on the cover doesn't have much to do with the story. The design on the book
Ashley Daviau
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really couldn’t have loved this book more! It completely drew me in right from page one and sank it’s hooks right into me. I was absolutely captivated and felt like I was right alongside Takanori living through the story as he was. I love how aspects of The Ring were intertwined so subtly yet in a way that they really packed a punch and made the story that much more interesting. And the way it all came together and ended was just perfectly chilling and i couldn’t have asked for better!
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
3.75 Stars.....S was a bit creepy. I guess I was expecting more. I’m intrigued enough to want to read the other books in the series.
Ana
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I don’t usually read translated books because I usually don’t like translation, but this one was excellent! I mean, the book was great and translation was really good. As always, I’m not gonna write the summary, because you can read it above, I just want to say that I liked how creepy it was and all the connections that are revealing as you read more and more... Long story short: READ IT, it’s good!
Mili
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-the-book
I got this book in my Nocturnal Readers box, horror based booksubscription box!

This was kinda odd to read, japanese translations can read a bit off. Thats what I experienced with Murakami as well. And also keeping in mind that they use a lot of superstition, life after death and 'every odd and random thing can have a meaning' kind of explanations in the plot. Still it was suspenseful to read but here and there weird haha! When you get used to it you go with the flow, the story continues on 'The
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found a href="http://bw-reviews.com/2018/06/14/s-es...!

1.5/5

TW: suicide and child murder

I was so close to finishing this book. Like, 40 pages from the end. And then I got really bored, lost track of it, and found myself wishing I was reading something else and thinking about my next horror read.

Let me back up.

I love The Ring.

Well.
I love the movie.
Absolutely love it. I can watch it a million times and not get bored of it in the least.

The book? Hated it. I DNFed it because
Percy
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First things first--this book is gorgeous. I purchased the hardcover and it was worth every penny. It's the finest-looking book I own. Great cover design, dust jacket and crisp typography. Love it, love it, love it. Handling the book was a treat.

Now, to the content.

The writing flowed well. This book is translated by a different translator than the first three books. I noticed a difference in the prose, obviously, but it wasn't distracting.

The plot. Here come spoilers. You've been warned, all
Romi || Romi Reads
When I got this book in a Nocturnal Reader's Box, I was immediately intrigued by its cover. I was really curious what thisthing on the cover would have to do with he story and was eager, but also scared, to find out.

I had high hopes forS: Es, but they didn't all come true, unfortunately. Yes,S: Es was eerie, but not really that creepy nor scary. Besides that I was confused for about a quarter of the time I spent reading it and I kind of still am. Now that I've finished reading, I have to think
Marvin
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Ring Trilogy by Koji Suzuki, who is often called the Japanese Stephen King, is an amazing set of three books. While everyone knows the first Ring novel mainly due to the movie, few have read the second two books, Spiral and Loop, and hence do not know the strange twists and turns the plot takes. I heartily recommend all three books.

But until recently I did not know there were other books is the series. Book #4, Birthday, is a collection of short stories based in the Ring universe. Now for
Scott
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
You would think that a series would be played out by this point but Suzuki keeps adding fresh and fascinating new twists to his mythology
Themightyx
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure this is a great book, it's extremely weird. I liked it, I'm in love with the Ring series, I'm horribly biased. It's not gory, or gross, it's just a thread traced back through the past via a murderer's execution. It's really weird, and you're not going to get it totally unless you've at least read the plot synopses on Wikipedia. *shrug*

The cover design is awesome, though; TAKE OFF THE BOOK JACKET!
Bibliophile
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok, I’ll admit it, I live under a rock and have never seen The Ring (either version) all the way through nor have I read any of the books prior to this one. With that being said, however, this book was pretty damn good! I did knock off a star because there were moments when I felt disjointed by either the way it was translated, or just the choices that Kojo Suzuki made to advance the story (it took me several paragraphs to realize that I was either reading a dream sequence or there was a ...more
Alex
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never been a person that likes book series. I just want to be able to read one book and understand the whole premise. However, this book series has completely enthralled me, and this book is no exception! This series is the best series I have ever read! (Well, this and the Shopaholic series.) I recommend this series to anyone that asks me what my favorite books are! I so wish that the sixth book would be translated into English!
Mads  Karlsen Baekkevold
This is less of a review than it is a warning.

The narrative in the first two thirds of the book is extremely compelling, well-written, and thrilling.

Then it seems like the author suddenly gives up, and the final part of the book is composed of his notes for what would have been the continuation of the series. Just an endless info-dump of plotless exposition, rambling through plainly stated facts about something that REALLY feels like it would be enough material for another 2-3 novels. (Bad
Dyah
The story is simple and too short, and I'm not a fan of the artwork. I was hoping it could be darker, more beautiful and mysterious. I can't feel the horror atmosphere in this one.
Tony Ødegaard
Occasionally quite creepy and suspenseful, but goes off the rails towards the end and falls flat.

*Minor spoilers below*
A stand-alone entry in the infamous "the Ring" series from Japanese fantasy- and horror author, Koji Suzuki. It's a generation and a half after the events in the first entry, and it builds heavily upon events and some of the descendants of former characters in the series. A CG artist receives a USB stick from an elusive older actress with a video of a guy hanging himself. He is
Wendy
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
S , Koji Suzuki's fifth installment of his Ring series, follows Takanori Ando, a CGI specialist with filmmakers dreams, and his lover, Akane, a high school teacher just trying to find her way. Takanori is given the task to examine a strange suicide video that his boss considers rare and possibly fabricated, but when he finally watches the video, the chilling scenes seem all too real. The video takes over his thoughts and sanity, and he struggles to piece together the mystery of an executed ...more
Nikmaack
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is nothing on the cover of this book to tell you this is the 5th book in a series. And, as you read it, you might think that doesn't matter, as it appears to be a standalone novel.

Then, two thirds of the way through, you get a two page summary of the first book, Ring. And after that, the book quickly erodes into absolute gibberish. And it finishes in a trite, bad, stereotypical horror kind of way.

I read the first three books of the Ring series and enjoyed them. I happened to pick up this
Mcf1nder_sk
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After successfully completing my Goodreads book challenge, my next goal is to read the 130+ books on my active TBR list. The book that's been waiting the longest is S, the latest in the Ring series. I received this novel a while ago in one of my @the.nocturnal.readers.box subscription boxes, and have held off reading it, since I haven't read the previous books (Ring, Spiral and Loop).
To do a decent review, I may post mild spoilers, SO BE WARNED.
The original antagonist, Sadako Yamamura, was
Saba
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Top three thoughts on 'S':
1) Since I had received this book as a part of my @the.nocturnal.readers.box subscription I didn't know what to expect. I braced myself for a zombie book after admiring the beautiful cover without knowing it's the fifth book from the Ring series.
2) I have since long forgotten the history behind the series and had to struggle to remember characters and what had happened to them. Koji Suzuki shows you no mercy there. He drops names casually with a very brief summary (if
Shikhar
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fifth installment in the popular RING series follows Takanori Ando and his pregnant girlfriend, Akane, in the days following a task assigned to him by his boss at a small CGI production company. Examine and determine if a video of a man committing suicide is genuine, or some manner of CGI trickery. From the moment he plays the “USB stick,” a malevolent force invades his picture perfect life, threatening to take Akane and their baby away from him. But is Akane who she seems to be?

I found the
Linda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I havn't read any if the ring series before though I have seen the movie; you do not need to have read any of the books to follow along with the stand alone story even if a few minor prior events were mentioned in the book.
I give this story a four star rating, due to the interesting storyline about the protagonist couple and the events surrounding their lives, relating to both their obscure pasts and the connection to the ring virus.
Would have given a higher rating however the story gets a
Daniel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this, the fifth entry in the Ring series, Suzuki-sama does a fantastic job yet again. Much like Loop, I read much of this book in anticipation of learning how it fits in with the others. And, much like Loop, I was not let down. This book starts with a young man investigating what looks like a video of a man committing suicide, but there's something not quite right about the video. Something odd in the way it seems to change slightly every time it's watched. More than that, as he digs he finds ...more
Dina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
What a ride!

It was really weird, and I'm still not quite sure this sort of book is my style at all, but sometimes it's nice to take some less traveled roads.

I have to say suicide is a topic that's mentioned a lot here (as is death by hanging), so keep that in mind if you want to read this and feel particularly triggered by that.

Also, if you've never read Ring (...like me, for example...), bear in mind that this book apparently spoils the whole thing. I say apparently because, as stated, I've
Julia
Let me start off by saying this is the 5th book in the Ring universe, and the first one that I have read. I have however watched all the American Ring movies. I don't know how closely they follow the books but there you go.

This book can be read as a stand alone but it does make some references to past events. The main characters in this one are Takanori and his fiancé Akane. Weird things start to happen to them both after watching a video of an execution. What struck me the most was even with
Malia
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the Ring movies so finding this book was a pleasant surprise. The cover drew me in initially before I knew it was connected to the Ring series. It's not totally necessary to have seen the movies or know the history but it does help a bit. It has the "tape" of course but it goes deeper into the history of the tape and the ring, etc.

The book was translated so that explains some of the language seeming choppy or awkward. But it's not as hard to read as other translated books I have read. I
Ashley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The Ring books are like junk food for my brain. I know they're not that good, but they're just so delightfully weird, I can't resist them. This book is pretty much a direct sequel to Spiral, so I recommend reading at least the first two books and maybe Birthday as well before reading this one. I found the characters in S very engaging and found myself holding my breath during a few tense scenes. I wouldn't say the book is scary, but it is deeply unsettling.

Still haven't figured out why there are
Alex S
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, albeit not being quite as enjoyable as the prior novels in the series.

Insufficient explanations for a lot of things leave you feeling either 1. Personally dim or 2. Forming the impression that the ideas were glued together last minute.

It's like when you write for creative writing at an early age - you have to make rapid, quick and seemingly inconceivable connections between characters/events/prior plots without regard for how well it reads. Rather much like this (meta) review itself.
fyn
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty okay. It was super weird and discussed some really cool subjects, like evil and good and the place they have in society. A big thing was that the author repeated himself a LOt but i’m not sure if that was some lost in translation issue or what. Also i’m very familiar with the Ring films, and this very much read like a cheesy B rated horror movie, which didn’t really take away from my enjoyment. also the ending was super class horror film ending. but it was alright, solid book for ...more
Goodreads Librari...: wrong/missing info 4 23 Dec 14, 2017 07:13PM

• Mongrels
  • The Wicked
  • Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology
  • The Wilderness Within
Suzuki Kōji (鈴木光司) is a Japanese writer, who was born in Hamamatsu and currently lives in Tokyo. Suzuki is the author of the Ring novels, which has been adapted into a manga series. He has written several books on the subject of fatherhood. He is currently on the selection committee for the Japan Fantasy Novel Award.

His recent novel Edge puts the main theme on Feynman point.

Ring (6 books)