Start by marking “Hug Everyone You Know: A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer” as Want to Read:
Hug Everyone You Know: A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer

Hug Everyone You Know: A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer

Antoinette Martin believed herself to be a healthy and sturdy woman--that is, until she received a Stage 1 breast cancer diagnosis. Cancer is scary enough for the brave, but for a wimp like Martin, it was downright terrifying. Martin had to swallow waves of nausea at the thought of her body being poisoned, and frequently fainted during blood draws and infusions. To add to ...more
Paperback
Published October 3rd 2017 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Hug Everyone You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Everyone You Know

Start your review of Hug Everyone You Know: A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer
Veronica ⭐️
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, true-story
I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t been touched by cancer in some way.

Antoinette Truglio Martin has written a heartfelt memoir of her journey through breast cancer treatment.
Right when life was at its busiest; the Martins were selling their home, their youngest was going off to college and Antoinette was contemplating changing jobs, she gets a call that her recent mammogram showed something suspicious and she needed to have it checked. And so starts Antoinette’s journey!

Antoinette decides to
Donna
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This morning, I picked up my copy of Hug Everyone You Know by Antoinette Truglio Martin. I follow Martin’s blog, Stories Served Around the Table, and greatly enjoy her writing style. I figured I would read a chapter or two each day, but…from the initial pages onward, I couldn’t put the book down. I finished the 300 pages in one day!

Instantly, I was transported to Martin’s living room, having coffee together and listening to her story, while her family and friends wandered in and out and
Rosemary
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational and well written memoir. Felt like I was part of her group email. Very courageous and brave woman.
Nikky44
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway and it was exactly what I needed to read. Hug Everyone you Know is not only the story of cancer and how it can ruin someone's life, but it it a story of love, encouragement, community and support. Cancer is for some people a lonely journey, but for Antoinette it was an experience of strength that she faced together with her husband, her daughters and Her Everyone!
Story Circle Book Reviews
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Antoinette Martin is a Stage IV breast cancer patient. Hug Everyone You Know is her compelling memoir about the importance of community while navigating a life crisis such as cancer. It is also a testament to the importance of mustering courage and not allowing a cancer diagnosis to define one's self. Initially diagnosed in 2007, her cancer battle has spanned more than 7 years. In 2014, her cancer returned. At the time of the writing of her memoir, she shared that the cancer has spread to her ...more
Kathleen Pooler
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a cancer survivor, I found Antoinette Truglio Martin’s memoir, Hug Everyone You Know, to be a heartfelt, honest account of the importance of a community of family and friends in facing a cancer diagnosis. With a voice filled with honesty and humor she portrayed a resilient, feisty woman who met her challenges head-on and sought the support of her community.

As a nurse practitioner, it reinforced both how each individual responds to the cancer journey in their own unique manner and the value
Andi
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because of it's humor and truth-telling and because I lost my own mother to cancer. The only critique I had was that at some points the book felt a bit self-indulgent - she's got curable breast cancer and her friends are dying. . . I wanted the story to have a little more perspective and empathy for others. But I did enjoy the book.
Reader Views
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Kimberly Luyckx for Reader Views (12/17)

From the beginning, this memoir tempted me with its title and its organization. I could not wait to read the personal email correspondences and peek into the life of author Antoinette Truglio Martin, a woman who retraces her yearlong journey through breast cancer. Although medical memoirs are often filled with sorrow and discomfort, “Hug Everyone You Know - A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer” introduces the power of love and the blessings
Amber Starfire
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
WHAT DO YOU DO when your doctor informs you that your biopsy results are positive? How do you respond when someone you know tells you she has cancer? What do you say to encourage someone who is going through chemotherapy and lost all their hair or can’t eat because of the side effects of radiation therapy? If you’ve not experienced it yourself, how do you know the right ways to express concern and empathy and support?

I think every one one of us has been affected by cancer — whether through the
Anthony
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Review

What a beautifully written memoir! This novel does an incredible job of telling the painful, emotional and heartbreaking journey of anyone who has ever faced or lived through a cancer diagnosis. Blending creative and phenomenal writing with a slew of emails written between the author and their support outlets, (family, friends, etc), the author showcases the journey through cancer on a very personal level.

The book is honest, holds no punches and utilizes the author’s natural
Elizabeth Wood
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I heard Antoinette read at my local book store. I bought the book because I enjoyed the passages she read and because her style was wryly humorous despite the subject matter. I picked up the book when I got home expecting to read only a few pages before bed, and before I knew it I was a third of the way through. I finished it the next day. The book is a sweet, funny, and very moving memoir about Antoinette's experience with her family and friends as she (and several of them) navigate a year of ...more
Tina hogan Grant
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being a breast cancer survivor myself, this book hit close to home.

A detailed memoir of her journey once diagnosed with breast cancer stage one. Martin shows courage and even some humor while battling this horrible disease.

Bringing the reader into her now, disruptive world, Martin shares personal emails from family and friends, referring to them as; “My Everyone.” A group of loved ones where she found support and encouragement.

Martin expresses the importance of reaching out and how a diagnosis
Martina Clark
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant and illustrative.

I had the good fortune to read parts of this wonderful memoir when I was in the same MFA program with Annette at Stony Brook. Returning to the completed manuscript holds extra joy as I read not only the remarkable journey of surviving breast cancer, but I also smiled with pride in seeing this book in print. Annette’s gregarious, kind, soul shows through on every page as she puts the “e” in epistolary writing, using emails with her “everyone” to chart the path and show
Stella
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I have to admit, memoirs about battling illness are not at the top of my To Read list, but a friend handed me this book a few months ago and encouraged me to give it a try. For the last couple months it has sat on my shelf collecting dusts and guilty glances. Besides the topic, I didn't like the title which sounded maudlin. Or the cover artwork either. Personal taste. And I admit, I prefer fiction over memoirs about illness. A few nights ago I finally decided to read the first three chapters. If ...more
Nicole
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What captured me immediately about this book is that Hug Everyone You Know is unlike almost any other memoir I've read. Antoinette really drew me into her experience of finding out the shock of the cancer diagnosis, having to tell her family and everyone else around her, and going through treatments. It was such a roller coaster of emotions while reading this book and I was so moved by the emails from her "everyone." On top of the moving experience of reading about Antoinette's journey, this ...more
Melinda M
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hug Everyone You Know: A Year of Community, Courage, and Cancer by Antoinette Truglio Martin is about the author's journey with cancer. It also details the community that supported her. It is a view of how the support made it easier but a crisis is a crisis but support is everything. It is a moving story. It will be a helpful read for anyone going thru a journey with cancer, knows someone who is or just to have a better understanding of what a stage 4 cancer diagnosis does to a life.
I received a
PJ
Very enlightening on the cancer journey. I've never known the specifics before of chemo and radiation. This book is basically a journal of Antoinette Martin's year experience of cancer, chemo and radiation, along with selling a house, starting a new job and staying in touch with friends and family along the way. She is a STRONG woman. But then, I guess most of us are! We put one foot in front of the other and get done what has to get done!
Rachael Stray
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and devoured it in two afternoons. She takes us on her cancer journey told via email conversations as well as usual prose. It’s real and raw but a really good read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and wish her the very best of health and happiness.
Tina
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, health, memoir, cancer
Martin describes what it's like when cancer interrupts your life - the chemo, radiation and the love of family and friends who support you. It's an honest telling of cancer without any sugar coating - just what I needed.
Lisa
Jul 31, 2019
Christy
Jul 07, 2018
Maureen
Jun 02, 2018
Cassie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
easy read considering the material
Doris
Feb 13, 2018
Crystal
Oct 23, 2017

• The Unfaithful Widow Ten Years Later
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Papa’s Shoes: A Polish shoemaker and his family settle in small-town America
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Vol. 1: Berzerker
  • Were We Awake
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
  • Day Zero (Day Zero Duology, #1)
  • Vanished
  • Return of Anarchy: The Fall of New Australia
  • Mera: Queen of Atlantis
  • Iron Fist, Vol. 1: The Trial of the Seven Masters
  • Dead Man Logan, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father
  • Made to Be Broken (The Mystic Rampage Book 1)