Start by marking “A Loud Winter's Nap” as Want to Read:
A Loud Winter's Nap

A Loud Winter's Nap

Every year Tortoise sleeps through winter. He assumes he isn't missing much. However, his friends are determined to prove otherwise! Will Tortoise sleep through another winter, or will his friends convince him to stay awake and experience the frosty fun of winter? Best-selling author Katy Hudson's charming picture book will convince even the biggest winter grouche that win ...more
Published September 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Loud Winter's Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Loud Winter's Nap

Start your review of A Loud Winter's Nap
Mischenko
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Loud Winter's Nap by Katy Hudson is a children's picture book follow-up to Too Many Carrots.

Tortoise is ready to settle down and sleep for the winter, but everyone else has different intentions! Follow along in the story to see if Tortoise ever get's his winter sleep.

We loved this book! It's a perfect short and simple story for young readers. The illustrations are so vibrant and detailed.

Thanks to Netgalley for sharing a copy of A Loud Winter's Nap with me.

5*****

Geo Marcovici
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translation widget on the blog!!!
Recenzia mea aici:
PattyMacDotComma
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for little kids (and anyone who loves kids' books)
One of the most attractive children's picture books I've seen in a while. Cute story and gorgeous illustrations. The cover hasn't been released, I guess, so it might change, but this is the cover of my preview copy.
 photo tortoise cover_zpshklvmlqh.jpg
Bookcover

It's a simple story of a tortoise who just wants to hibernate and take a LONG, not a LOUD, winter's nap. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so! He is interrupted with invitations to sing-alongs, snowball fights and all kinds of winter play. But he's determined to find a
La Coccinelle
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I kind of wish this story had been a little stronger.

Tortoise sleeps through the winter. He settles in, only to be disturbed by his friends doing winter activities. Eventually, he inadvertently ends up sliding down a hill and realizes he's been missing out on a lot of fun.

I found his friends' attitude kind of disrespectful. Tortoise wants to be left alone, but they all assume they know better and do everything they can do disturb his nap.

The illustrations are lovely, which is why I'm kind of dis
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Tortoise wants to sleep during the winter. He keeps saying tortoises don't like winter. (Turtles actually do hibernate, but underground in muddy banks not trees). Every place he finds to sleep, he is disturbed by one if his friends and asked to participate in some type of winter activity. Tortoise is not happy about this and he keeps looking for a quiet place to nap. When he accidentally ends up on a sled going down a hill, he realizes how much fun it is and decides that some tortoises like wint ...more
ღ Carol jinx~☆~☔
A very fun to read children's book. ...more
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
A Loud Winter's Nap. Written and illustrated by Katy Hudson. Children’s Fiction. Print Length: 32 pages. Published by Capstone Young Readers 01 September 2017. Kindle edition. 5 Stars.

Both young and old may enjoy the delightful and colorful winter scenes in this cozy children’s picture book where a tortoise finally discovers that there are better things to do than hibernate during the winter! Highly recommend.
AMY
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K - 2
This is one fun picture book! Tortoise is having so much trouble finding a quiet place to hibernate. The illustrations are colorful, whimsical and sweet. Look carefully at every inch of the page. It is a great book to share with students while studying hibernation/winter themes. Kids will laugh out loud as the poor tortoise keeps trying to get his snooze on. I loved it and can’t wait to share with my students in January. Highly recommended for Grades K-2.
Nancy Kotkin
Many species of tortoise need to brumate (i.e hibernate) during winter or they will suffer serious health consequences. There is no mention of this fact either within the story or as back matter. The tortoise in this book says repeatedly that tortoises don't like winter, which isn't the whole truth. ...more
Christine Irvin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tortoise just wants a quiet place to sleep during the long cold winter. But, when he finds a quiet spot, he is disturbed by a robin, and then a rabbit, and then by squirrels, and then by a beaver, each time forcing him to find another quiet spot. He finally finds what he thinks is the perfect spot, but he is in for a big surprise. What happens next will make you smile. The great illustrations and the wonderful repetition make this a wonderful book for kids.
Tara
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.
This is a great book about the tortoise who is ready to settle down for his long and quiet winter's nap. One by one his friends interrupt his sleeping and attempt to persuade him. Eventually, he gives in and joins all the fun. Cute book, great illustrations, an all around a great picture book.
Trish
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, je
This book has cute illustrations.
Rachel
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Listen, I love a colorful book so naturally I love this one. Plus it's a cute story. It definitely belongs on a child's shelf! ...more
Kelley
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute follow up to “Too Many Carrots”. The artwork is beautiful. Perfect for the child that likes cutesy animal stories. ☺️
Racheal
Cute and silly tale about trying something new that you think you're going to hate but ultimately end up loving ...more
Theresa
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tortoise doesn't like winter and is trying to find somewhere to sleep until he discovers that winter can actually be a lot of fun. I enjoyed this cute story and illustrations very much. ...more
Tracie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tortoise learns to embrace change when his long winter nap is interrupted, prompting him make friends and enjoy seasonal activities. Witty and cute.
Kym
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is cute. Maybe great for those who don't like winter so much. (hint Ms. Clinton) ...more
Sharon Tyler
A Loud Winters Nap by Katy Hudson is a charming picturebook. Every year Tortoise sleeps through winter. He assumes he isn't missing much. However, his friends are determined to prove otherwise! Will Tortoise sleep through another winter, or will his friends convince him to stay awake and experience the frosty fun of winter? Best-selling author Katy Hudson's charming picture book will have everyone excited for winter.

A Loud Winters Nap is a fun story about a tortoise that just wants to hibernate.
Alex  Baugh
It’s time for Tortoise to begin his long winter’s nap. But just as he settles in to hibernate until spring, Tortoise is woken up by a Robin’s singing class. Invited to join the class, Tortoise explains that he doesn’t like winter and packs up his stuff, and finds a new place to sleep. When he hears tap, tap, tap, he discovers Rabbit making ice sculptures. Invited to join, Tortoise explains he doesn’t like winter, and packs up his stuff to find a new place to sleep. But again, his sleep is distur ...more
VillaPark Public Library
Christina Says: Tortoise doesn’t like winter. In fact, all he wants to do is sleep through it. But every time he settles in for a long nap, a new animal comes and wakes him up! Robin invites him to sing, Rabbit asks him to help make ice sculptures…everyone has a fun winter activity to do, but Tortoise just wants to find peace and quiet. When Tortoise accidentally stumbles upon a sled, he discovers just how much fun winter can be! A Loud Winter’s Nap is a very cute book with beautiful illustratio ...more
Lydia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tortoise is quite sure that he (and Tortoises in general) don't like winter, so he's determined to hibernate through it. However, not all the animals in the forest share his opinion or plan and continue to go about their normal activities... which tend to disturb Tortoise's nap. But with a little help from a sled Tortoise may change his mind!

Though I'm not a fan of super freezing cold, I do enjoy several winter activities; but I also sympathize with Tortoise, sometimes you just want a long nap!

Arlene Allen
I do get what this book was trying to do; be a fun, repetitive, cute story of a grumpy tortoise who eventually learns to love winter.

But the first 3/4 of the book sees Tortoise looking for a quiet, secure place to sleep and I kept thinking, dude, you have a shell. Like, duh. And trust me, I’ve worked with enough preschoolers to know they’re going to tell you that.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book were pretty and fun. The story was the typical what could go wrong did until it all finally worked out. I enjoyed the hilarity of it all. Do they really nap during the winter? This could be fun as a bedtime or a storytime alike. It is not too wordy and the story just flows. The reader could really get into things.
Angela
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable! Poor Tortoise no matter where he puts his head down for his winter nap, he is disturbed by friends enjoying all winter has to offer. "Tortoises don't like winter," he declares over and over until he accidentally gets a taste of winter fun and the experience enlightens him. ...more
Angela
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacy
Nice illustrations, but story is nothing special.
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What an adorable book! I have a soft spot for turtles, so reading about one trying to hibernate was fun. The adorable illustrations paired well with the text.
Bill
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Loud Winter’s Nap, written and illustrated by Katy Hudson, is a solidly told and charmingly illustrated story about a tortoise’s travails in trying to find a quiet spot to hibernate. I had some issues with the narrative, but was won over by the cheery, quirky illustrations.

Even before the text part of the story begins, we get a sense of the visual charm of the book with the opening few pages offering up a collage-like collection of items and smaller texts: a teddy bear, a carrot from rabbit (“
Stephanie Smith
Reading Level: 1.9

Book Summary: Winter fun is happening all around tortoise, only he thinks "tortoise's don't like winter." He spends a lot of time trying to find a place to sleep the winter away, but he can't sleep because of everyone else's loud winter fun. This is a cute winter read and tortoise just might see how fun winter can be.

Bookshelf Genre: Picture book

Characteristics to support the genre: Colorful and amazing illustrations. Appealing and Engaging.

Bookshelf mentor traits:

• Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Sweep
  • William's Winter Nap
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • Pick a Pumpkin
  • I Am Human: A Book of Empathy
  • The Listener
  • Chalk
  • Reformatorji v stripu ali kako smo Slovenci dobili prvo res dooooolgo knjigo (in eno krajšo, ki je opisala, kako pišemo)
  • Invisible Lizard
  • The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare (The Princess in Black #6)
  • Pig the Fibber
  • Apple Cake: A Gratitude
  • Tough Cookie: A Christmas Story
Katy Hudson won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book Award Gold in 2014 for her illustrations in the book Animal Teachers. Her debut picture book, Bear and Duck, received strong reviews, including a starred review from Kirkus. Katy is the author of the best-selling picture books Too Many Carrots and A Loud Winter's Nap, which both received numerous positive reviews. Katy lives in London.

From Goog