Start by marking “Sandwiches!: More Than You've Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food” as Want to Read:

Anyone can make a great sandwich that's the beauty of America's favorite food. And thanks to this fully illustrated cookbook, kids can easily assemble and enjoy a variety of delicous sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. With fun factoids and sandwich trivia, plus an array of vegetarian sandwiches and regional specialties, this truly is the ultimate guide to ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers

Start your review of Sandwiches!: More Than You've Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food
Mischenko
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com to see this review and others. Also, get our favorite recipe from this book.

Sandwiches!: More Than You've Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food is a sandwich making cookbook for middle grade kids.

The book contains recipes for over 50 different sandwiches including wraps, subs, and bagels. It covers what is a sandwich, tools used, and use of equipment including the oven and panini press. The book even explains the differences
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

description

descriptionExcellent cover on this one. Colorful and eye catching. Fun use of graphics and text to represent the subject matter.description

descriptionThis was a super fabulous little cookbook! Excellent use of colorful graphics and fonts make it very user-friendly and fun to look at. The book is broken down into the following chapters (levels)...(PLATE & KNIFE, TOASTER & MICROWAVE, OVEN/BROILER, STOVE, SKILLET & PANINI PRESS, THE BIG TIME: EXTRA COOKING, RECIPES & PREP WORK). We get an excellent little
Alicia
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is literally a 100 x 100 x 100 star book because I cannot love it any more. Seriously.

I completed it over two sittings for lunch at work, indulging in the beautiful artwork, the funny and catch side comments, and the jam-packed history of these sandwiches in a creative and very approachable organization from easy sandwiches to more complicated fare that all have a place on the American plate whether they or the elements of the sandwich originated elsewhere.

I am absolutely going to do a
L.P. Logan
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
In our house, sandwiches rule the kitchen. This book was cute, filled with great ideas and in depth history into popular sandwiches worldwide. I really enjoyed reading it, and was starving after the first page. I want to try them all. Right now!
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.
Well, this was sure a lot of fun to read. Though I do wonder who would eat these sandwiches as breakfast or lunch. Given how some of them have a ton of ingredients... I think I would eat them as dinner, and only one sandwich, because some of them are a full course.

I loved how the book is split up in various sections. From easy, just slap some food and condiments on a sandwich, to full cooking (meat and other stuff) and preparing
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
SANDWICHES! is such a fun book! I love the illustrations. Author Alison Deering shares some sandwich ideas, and combinations that I never would have thought of myself. Well done!
Raina
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic, j
Holy great booktalk batman!

I took this out to local elementary schools in May/June 2019, and it was the first recipe/cookbook I'd ever promoted that way. Kids really responded to the cover, and I introduced it to them by asking if there are food they don't like, and talking about this "brand new" kind of food that is really easy to adjust to the eater's culinary preferences (not in those words). Honestly, I did a lot of talking, but you really just have to open the book. The graphic design is so
Tara
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc from Netgalley for an honest review.
This is a really cool book about the art and history of sandwiches.
Filled with lots of different kinds of sandwiches and ideas to jazz them up. There's even history about some of the sandwiches. Great addition to anyone's cookbook collection and will make a great gift.
Marcus Trent
I love reading about these sandwiches and their origin just as much as eating them!
Laurie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cookbooks
This great book is a perfect cookbook for the tween in your life. My daughter and I looked at this book together (she is 12 and the perfect age for this book). We both loved the simple format and creative alternatives offered for each sandwich, as well as the easy to read directions. The facts scattered through gave some interesting tidbits related to each recipe. If you have a tween in your life that is complaining about lunch ideas for school, pick them up a copy of this easy to use and ...more
Meg
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, arc, 2017
What a fun and useful book! It's a perfect gift for teens and tweens who are interested in cooking. It starts simply with a butter knife and a plate and goes all the way up to more complicated sandwiches like steak and cheese. Lots of interesting food including vegetarian selections and tasty side dishes. I'm definitely going to try the Bahn Mi - something I've only had in restaurants.
I was pleased to see that they added my favorite New England Classic: the Fluffernutter.

This review is based on
Kristin
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great cook book filled with trivia, history, lots of visuals, easy recipes with variations, food safety tips and cooking techniques.
Alisha
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice little starting cookbook for kids and teens. The book is divided into 5 sections, each with a different level of difficulty but besides that the sandwiches are not really in any particular order. Each sandwich has an easy to follow recipe with handy illustrations to help you assemble your sandwich. Every recipe also includes a bit of history or trivia about the sandwich. While none of the history is exactly a "deep dive" this book would probably make for an interesting book report. It'd ...more
Tena Edlin
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Combination of recipes and sandwich history. Great illustrations. It made me hungry while I read it!
Jennifer Mangler
This was a fun read. I can't remember reading a book that made me as eager to get into the kitchen and make stuff as this one did.
Christiana
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Harker
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the parent of a six year old, I make alotof sandwiches. They're practically their own food group in our house. While my son has his preferences (peanut butter & jelly, turkey & mayo), he is open up to trying a variety of new flavors so I thought that checking out this book would be a good way to find new sandwiches and to include him in their preparation.

This book will appeal to both adults and children with a combination of fun graphics and handy information. Each recipe is full of
Becky B
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sandwiches is part infographic guide to the history and fun facts of food you happen to find between two slices of bread and part cookbook. The book is divided into five sections, from easiest to assemble at level one to sandwiches that require some prep work in level five. Kitchen safety instructions are provided as you go along with ideas of ingredients to swap out in various sandwiches or dares to try some more out there ingredients on a select few sandwiches for the brave.

Whether you’re
P.e. lolo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a great book for anyone who wants to involve their children into cooking or working in the kitchen, but doing so it is fun and with new ways. Yes some of these ideas are ones you know about but the way they are presented and with a few twists on some old favorites the gets you to realize that you can come up with your own creation. This is what I liked about it and reminded me of my father and how we would make different sandwiches way before other others were making all of the different ...more
Kirsteen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is fun! As an English person, I found it fascinating to see how many types of sandwiches there are in America and some of the interesting combinations available. I particularly enjoyed the cucumber and cream cheese page!! Radishes are a great idea. This book is a great idea for inspiring you to try new things! Lunch can be so boring and I often struggle to pack interesting lunches for school lunches- this book has helped!
Victoria Peipert
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a fun book! The mix of illustrations, history, facts, and instruction in this book make it a great addition to any young kids collection.... and hopefully it inspires them to start cooking more and exposes them to a breadth of cultural dishes. I loved the ideas to swap out different ingredients, the way the sandwiches were organized, and the facts and stories.
Alissa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You guys... I want a sandwich.

On a nice, fluffy pretzel roll, lightly toasted. Or maybe something cooked in a stone/brick oven (for that smoky flavor you can't get anywhere else)

Add some honey smoked turkey, sliced extra thin. And maybe some bacon, but only if it's nice and crispy

And the requisite lettuce and tomatoes, but on the side, please.

Pile on the dill/garlic pickle slices. The kind you can only get from the deli. Lots and lots of pickles. Like, when you think there's enough, double
DelAnne Frazee
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Title: Sandwiches-More Than You Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food
Author: Alison Deering
ISBN: 978-1-62370-816-0
Reviewed For: Net Galley & the Publisher
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 5 Stars

With 5 skill levels and multipe recipes for each level Sandwiches truly is the best cookbook for America's
Leandra
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-ages, cook-books
Thank you NetGalley for sending me a free copy of this book!

Note: I will still be adding in my own opinion on specific sandwiches I made later

I absolutely loved this book! Sandwiches are definitely one of my favorite (semi-) fast prep things to make. And while I would already consider myself quite advanced with my sandwich-making skill, and already knew quite a lot of the recipes, this book definitely has expanded my sandwich horizons.

What I loved most about this book though, was the fact that
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, a book about making sandwiches. Why do you want to not only read this book, but have it around. Because, believe it or not, there are probably a lot of sandwiches out there that you have never tried, or never heard of. Of course, the usual ones are in here, such as grilled cheese, and peanut butter and jelly, but you will find ones you have not heard of there as well, such as banh mi and apple pie.

This appears to be written for kids, and is bright and colorful, and very, very easy to
bjneary
I read this wonderful, in-depth look at making sandwiches for the 2018 HUB Reading Challenge. What I loved about this book was the drawings of each the sandwiches- each sandwich is shown made and then on the opposite page there is a step by step of how to put it together plus tips, history, and other essential information. The sandwiches begin with Level 1 - Plate and Knife and moves to another level Toaster & Microwave, Level 3 Oven/Broiler, Level 4 Stone, Skillet & Panini Press & ...more
Kristen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great recipes that will surely entice the budding cook in our library. Lots of variety (even for this vegetarian librarian!), fabulously illustrated, and fun facts added about different sandwiches and ingredients (ex.: "Fluffernutter" was a term created by the Durkee-Mower advertising agency in 1960 to easily market the sandwich containing marshmallow fluff and peanut butter). Some CRAZY "I dare you" challenges include adding apple pie filling to your grilled cheese sandwich).

This one
E
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this with a friend, paging through and making comments. “It says to put WHAT on the grilled cheese?” "A cookie? In the sandwich? This book is trolling us!" “Maybe if you took the ham away?” “I would eat this....”
I also liked the bits of trivia.
Overall, I'm impressed with this book- I like the way it's designed and illustrated. I'd love to see more cookbooks done visually with illustrations like this.
Emily
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sandwiches is truly an amazing book. It has every sandwich in it you could imagine, plus tips, substitutions, and dares. It's fantastic! I know that I'm an adult and that this is intended for kids, but it has recipes in it that I can actually make quickly and easily, and I love it. The illustrations are so much fun to look at, too. The pages are bursting with color!

It's the perfect cookbook for young readers. Be prepared to want to try every sandwich, and don't read this book hungry!
Donna Siebold
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-hub-2018
Yawn, thank goodness this is a juvenile title. The typeface is irritating, the directions are oversimplistic and most of the sandwiche recipes are dull and uninteresting. The only thing that intrigued me at all was the variations they sometimes listed. What was interesting about those was which ones they were suggesting you combine. Maybe if I were leaving a young child at home to fend for themselves I might find this book somewhat helpful. Otherwise, nope.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scooby Apocalypse, Volume 1
  • ...And Then You Die of Dysentery: Lessons in Adulting from the Oregon Trail
  • Lu (Track, #4)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Transformed: A Spiritual Journey
  • Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
  • Kiss Number 8
  • The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions
  • Black Dahlia
  • You Have to Fucking Eat
  • Why Don't You Write My Eulogy Now So I Can Correct It?: A Mother's Suggestions
  • Ojojojo [おじょじょじょ]