Start by marking “The Chaos of Standing Still” as Want to Read:
The Chaos of Standing Still

The Chaos of Standing Still

Ryn has one unread text message on her phone. And it’s been there for almost a year.

She hasn’t tried to read it. She can’t. She won’t. Because that one message is the last thing her best friend ever said to her before she died.

But as Ryn finds herself trapped in the Denver International Airport on New Year’s Eve thanks to a never-ending blizzard on
Published November 28th 2017 by Simon Pulse

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Way more than I had been expecting to!
emma
things i liked about this book:
- stranded! airport!
- quirky side characters
- grand gestures
- Making Memories™

things i did not like about this book:
- characters felt flat
- ending (especially of the mourning/grief character arc) felt rushed
- felt noooo chemistry for the romance
- how was this book so long if i didn't feel anything?

the cons slightly outweigh the pros, but i'm still going to give this a middle-of-the-line 2.5. ...more
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 4.5/5

I love books about grief. This one in particular is very well written and soooo bittersweet❤ I connected with the storyline, the characters and the message so much! It had a lot of serious/sad moments but also fun, lighthearted ones. The romance was cute and it didn’t feel rushed at all, despite the circumstances.

I noticed something in this book that I’ve seen before but never really paid much attention to. It’s the dysfunctional friendship trope (not sure if that’s actually a th
Alyssa
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Trying to decide how to review this book so I'm going with 3 stars for now. It was well-written and explores many issues -- but I'm just not sure I loved the book. Just because there is grief and loss and other heavy issues doesn't mean the book was "good"... I mean I think I enjoyed it? But also not really? I had a hard time connecting with Ryn. Which made me feel bad because she is a girl that is struggling to grieve for her best friend. But... I just didn't connect with her. Or like her. I pr ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
Some YA books really make me feel old and jaded about the YA genre. This was one such book.

And that is because every single character in this book was simply a stereotype. There was little to no effort given to creating multifaceted characters whose motivations and feelings could be felt by me as a reader.
And this was not due to the first person perspective of the novel, it was simply due to lazy and ineffectual writing that just used jaded tropes and melodrama to move forward the plot.

Thusly
Jasmine
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who're looking for winter reads!
***Actual rating: 3/5 R(V)eginald Stars***

If Lottie hadn’t died, I never would have known Xander.

The Chaos of Standing Still is mainly about how Ryn learns to move on after her best friend, Lottie, died in a car accident one year ago. Long story short, Ryn was stuck in Denver International Airport due to a blizzard and she accidentally bumped into a guy named Xander when she tripped over her own feet while googling frantically on her phone. That was how the story began.

Throughout the book, I’ve learnt a lot about
Maureen
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

I really enjoyed this book! I liked watching Ryn grow as a character and really liked the romance, but it wasn’t my *favorite*.
A good quick read, though!
Amy Leigh
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about grief. Everyone grieves differently and Ryn is no exception. I felt I had a personal connection with Ryn and that made me love this book even more. Xander was adorable and I hope there will be a second book where they reunite. I laughed and straight up bawled my eyes out throughout this book.

Ryn is trying to mourn the death of her best friend Lottie, who was killed in a car accident while the drunk driver got away without injury. She hasn't been able to grieve and has prolong
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
The Chaos of Standing still drew me in right from the start. It is the story of a girl stranded in an airport, but with a twist. There are so many interesting side characters and some super cute moments throughout the book. While I enjoyed the story, I found the constant interruptions for flashbacks to get annoying, and I wish I could have enjoyed it more.

This book is cute, funny, and heart-wrenching all at once. It tells the story of a girl stranded in an airport on New Year’s Eve,
Stacee
I looooooove 24 hour time frame books. They’re frustrating and fantastic and I was beyond excited to see that Jessica’s book was all about one day. And it didn’t disappoint.

Love love love Ryn and Xander. She’s so deep in grief, it’s almost like she’s drowning. Xander is fun and flirty. Together they’re both going through stuff and it was captivating to see how they worked it out. Of course there were some sweet swoons and laughs and they’re sprinkled through at the best moments.

Plot wise, it w
Cesar
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

“Any system, if left unattended or isolated, will eventually result in entropy. Or chaos.”

I was in the mood for a contemporary reading and as I was pondering, it started to snow here in Texas. Texas, of all places! It just so happens I bought The Chaos of Standing Still a week ago and the book is set in winter so it all played out in the end.

This is my first book by Jessica Brody and I'm impressed so far. It's a nice, sorta-cute novel about grief, loss, and acceptance with shenanigans and a possible conspiracy.

This is a book that tastars
“Any
Alice Cai
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, dnf
2.75*

I don't have time to read because I should be studying so I skimmed 2/3 of this book and only read the last 1/3 completely. It still took like 3 hours to read though. The story was pretty interesting.

The main character Ryn is grieving over her dead best friend Lottie and it took over her life. Ryn talks to Lottie in her head for the whole book. (I actually do this a lot with people I know, but they are not dead. I like it. I'm pretty sure it's not too weird.) There a
Zainab
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-ya
Ooh this is the 100th book I've read this year! And I'm so happy it was this one! It was so friking cute!! I lovvvved it!! Exactly what I needed!
TS
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
the writing was ok, the plot was recycled, the romance was meh; this took me like 2 months to read if that's any indication on how I felt about this book

Thamy
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
As my first book by Brody, I had no idea how it was going to be. I just didn't expect to like it so much.

Ryn lost her best friend almost a year ago and still hasn't found the right way to grieve. Instead, she holds on the one unread message in her phone and keeps searching for answers to every random question that pops up into her head. Stranded at the Denver Airport during a snow storm on the day before the first anniversary, she meets Xander and a parade of unique people. They seem
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)

This is the holiday contemporary you should reach for if you want more than just an adorable romance. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got that too, but The Chaos of Standing Still is all about friendship and healing and learning to move on when you’re desperately holding onto the past. The snowed-in airport was the perfect setting for the story, and we got to meet a lot of interesting characters. While there were som
Emily
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
“Wanna hear something crazy?”

This book made me cry, laugh AND want to punch someone in the face, depending on the chapter. It is so well written and I was so deeply invested in the story from start to finish.

I’m not rewriting a synopsis for this one. Just read it. Trust me, it will hold on to your heart from the very first sentence until you turn the last page.

5/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dayle (the literary llama)
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

QUICK NOTES: I must admit that I have a fondness for stories that take place in an airport. Although, besides the Tom Hanks movie, Terminal, I'm having a hard time coming up with a few examples right this very second. But that's neither here nor there! The fact is, airport settings make me want to read (we could analyze that but that's not why you're here so let's move on).

So we start with an airpo
Tapasya

So Kathryn is drowning in sadness since an accident took her friends life one year back. She has one unread message in her phone. It's the last message received from her friend before she died. She hasn't opened it. Its New Year's Eve and she is traveling to Atlanta to San Francisco via Denver. But unfortunately she gets stranded at Denver Airport due to Heavy Snowstorm. There she meets Xander, with whom she accidentally swap phones. There are also some other interesting side characters.

So bas
Heba (Bookaholic Throne)
All the stars in the world 😍

“Grirf changes the way you see things forever. Because it changes you forever ”

This is the best contemporary book i have ever read in my entire life 💕 it is the second book that made me cry this year and actually i don't cry while reading any book but this book was incredibly heartbreaking and beautiful bravo jessica Brody you are a genius persone to wrote this 24 hours sitting book in a very pretty way 😍
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I'm kind of surprised how much I liked this book and how much it made me feel. The whole book takes place in one day, but there are flashbacks. But so much happens in that single day.

Ryn hasn't been able to live a happy life since her best friend, Lottie, died almost one year ago. Ryn is flying home and needs to be there before 10:05 am, the time Lottie was killed. But the Denver weather had other ideas and she is stuck at the airport with no where to go.

Xander is heading
Lindsay
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ryn lost her best friend almost a year ago and she isn't coping well in the aftermath. After being stranded at the Denver Airport due to a raging blizzard, she spends twenty-four hours before the one day anniversary of Lottie's death reminiscing about the past, falling in love, finding new friends, and discovering that there is hope in moving on.

At first I felt sorry for Ryn losing her best friend, but during flashbacks we meet Lottie, and that made me wonder why Ryn was friends with
Leslie Cardix
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story goes back and forth between the present moment in the airport and her memories of her life with Charlotte, her best friend. And so we learn about the person she was in contrast to who she is now as she is filled with anxiety and is completely broken. Little by little we also learn more about Charlotte and her tragic death.

The writing was really good, it flowed smoothly. There was never any confusion between the flashbacks and the present time. The devastating coping mechani
Rahma Abdelrahman
4.75 stars. Definitely a new favourite!

The Chaos Of Standing Still is a well-written, surprisingly funny story about Ryn trying to grieve her best friend’s death. It takes place over the course of one day, when Ryn gets stuck in an airport during a layover because of an unprecedented snow storm.

I always love it when I pick up a book on impulse and end up loving it that much!
This book was funny, honest, and sad, all at the same time.
The main character, Ryn, was highly complex and extrem/>The
Amanda Hanson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize how much I needed this book until I stayed up until 2 AM reading it. I needed to see on the page that sometimes people don't think you're crazy even if you do crazy things. I needed Ryn. And I needed Xander. I needed them and I loved them.

I think my favorite part of this book, though, is that no one leaves the airport throughout the whole thing. Life goes on eventually, but the book keeps them at the airport for the entirety of the story. I liked that. I liked wonder
Danielle
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-lit
Apologies if this review is all over the place. In honor of this New Years-themed read, I'm writing this review while watching New Year's Eve TV specials...

I read this because I needed a fun New Years-themed book to end my reading year with, and I'd heard great things about this book, particularly from someone I follow in the book community who raved about it. Unfortunately... I really didn't think this book was exceptional. It was very much a typical cheesy YA contemporary with sub-par writing, e
Nora
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
My friend recommended this book for me ,for I was sort of developing a reading slump.She suggested this one because it was a fast read. I deem it was suited best for me at this time;the writing style was simple ,and the plot was intriguing enough for me to finish the book.However,these types of books aren’t my cup of tea; I don’t hate them ,but I prefer magical realms and sets .Though I enjoyed it.The airport setting was great and new for me ;getting food, sipping coffee and waiting for your fli ...more
alice (arctic books)
You can find this review and others at arctic books

I went into this book with pretty high expectations because I adored the synopsis and the cover. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. I adored this contemporary romance standalone, and I look forward to reading Jessica Brody’s next works!

THE CHAOS OF STANDING STILL follows Ryn as she is stranded at an airport. She meets a boy named Xander and tries to come in terms with the death of her best friend, Lottie. The concurrence of flas
Nikki S
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
LOVED.

**Edit 09/01/2018**

You can find more of my reviews at my blog, Take me Away…

What drew me to this was the author. I have read and loved many of the books that Brody has written. But after finally reading this one, I have to say, I can definitely see the growth and changes in her writing. This is my favorite one yet!
Ryn's best friend died and it's all she can think about. But on the anniversary of her friend's death, Ryn finds herself trapped in an airport overnight. Th
Gina Adams
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the story a lot and the writing style was awesome. I don’t like Lottie or Ryn though?? Lottie is really not a good friend from the stories Ryn tells of her and Ryn just irked me because of her reluctance to deal with her life going on without Lottie. Their friendship just seemed toxic. The story was so long but I still felt like I needed more details... still, I would read more from Jessica Brody, though.

• The Victoria in My Head
  • Eight Days on Planet Earth
  • The Last Thing You Said
  • And She Was
  • Swept Away (Sixteenth Summer #3)
  • The Art of Feeling
  • 500 Words or Less
  • Before Now
  • Handle With Care (Saddlers Cove #1)
  • I Never
  • Now Is Everything
  • Perijee and Me
  • Pretty Wanted (Pretty Crooked #3)
  • Faded (Rock Star Trilogy, #2)
  • Prince in Disguise
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • The Season of You & Me
  • The Little Wedding Island
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios
“The English language has over one million words in it, and none of them are good enough for Lottie. None of them will capture what I saw when I looked at her. What I see now when I remember her. How she will forever look through my filtered view of the world.” 3 likes
“And real things break.
Imaginary things last forever.”
2 likes