Start by marking “The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)

The Stingray Shuffle (Serge A. Storms #5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,682 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
When serial-killing local Florida historian Serge A. Storms is off his meds, no one is safe -- not Russian hoods, Jamaican mobsters, spoiled frat boys, women's book clubs, drug dealers, bad Vegas-rejected local lounge acts -- especially when $5 million in cash in a bugged suitcase is still racing up and down the Eastern Seaboard. But in the oddball circus known as the Suns ...more
Published January 30th 2004 by HarperTorch (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Stingray Shuffle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stingray Shuffle

Nik
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
read this one for the second time and it didn't seem to lose it's luster.

i love the line where serge says grace at dinner "lord please protect me from your followers. amen"

still very funny the second time around.
Linda
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are fifteen books in Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms series - The Stingray Shuffle is the fifth book published, but the end of this book seems to precede the third book in the series, Orange Crush. This really doesn't lessen the entertainment factor, but a Virgo (like me) will finish the series, then go back to read them again in Serge's chronology. Clever ploy Mr. Dorsey!

The book itself is hilarious (yes, I'm running out of descriptives), well written and with some truly interesting twists: a p
Snotchocheez
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was another turbo-charged funhouse of a novel by Tim Dorsey. He started out being incredibly derivative of Carl Hiaasen's work, but he's found a voice of his own, and it's at times laugh-out-loud hysterical. Once again, he uses Serge Storms, Florida's favorite serial killer and historian, as his principal protagonist. This time, Dorsey expands his reach a bit from Florida and has a go at NYC. "The Stingray Shuffle" is a book within this book, which had been written a decade prior but inexpl ...more
Mr.B
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this guy's writing. It's campy, quirky. Mystery writing that is basically surrealistic humor. Sort of a whodunit Hitchhiker's Guide.
Jackie
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't keep a lot of books anymore. I read them and pass them along. But this one is staying in the collection for a re-read in future because it was hysterical! I can't even count how many times I laughed out loud at the descriptions of south Florida! It was also a wealth of intriguing historical detail about Florida's train system; I actually learned things. Really a cool and unusual protagonist, too...if you can call Serge that...he does have a certain sense of poetic justice, even if he is ...more
Diana
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Tim Dorsey's books would make great cult movies. Of the three I've read thus far, this one I think is the funniest -- think "Rocky Horror Show" on steroids. Serge Storms the psychotic serial killer with a treasure trove knowledge of Florida trivia (informative, too) devises ingenious ways to kill his often deserving victims. Pure mindless fun.
Angie
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series
The self-referencing is what makes this book so hilarious! Couldn't get enough of the stupid mobsters and the urinal guy! Love it! More Serge please!
Frank
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a bad Serge Storms book yet and that includes The Stingray Shuffle. Tim Dorsey is masterful at giving depth to a cast of shallow characters. This time he gives it a little meta-mystery twist.

There are no surprises here. If you're familiar with Dorsey and the Serge Storms series, you know what your in for. As usual, my favorite aspect of any of the books in the series is that you need not read them in order (And I haven't).
Perfect for reading while your in Florida or in the summer
Paul Pessolano
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
“The Stingray Shuffle” by Tim Dorsey, published by William Morrow.

Category – Crime/Comedy Publication Date – 2003

This is Dorsey’s fifth book in the Serge A. Storms series. As I have said before they do not have to be read in sequence but it would be a good idea for continuity. This is especially true for “The Stingray Shuffle” as it ties together the characters and plot of the first four books. Readers will find out what happened and who winds up with the missing 5 million dollars.

Serge, a seria
Peter
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
A very funny book. You can kind of see that Dorsey was writing this almost as a movie, you can see where it would have made a very funny flick! A quick read, and hilarious!
Mike French
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another tremendous in the Serve Storms series! This book is enjoyable and entertaining from start to finish! If you like Carl Hiaasen and Paul Levine,you will Tim Dorsey!
Robert
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jjudyfl
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
"I hate it when I wake up driving." Yes, it's THAT KIND of book.
Serge stars again as a serial killer in another Tim Dorsey title.
In one scene he slowly murders his victims in a lengthy, prolonged torture.
After last week's real-life shooting spree of young children at a Connecticut school, I found myself wincing & hesitating to laugh at Serge this time. When does insanity start and stop being funny?
A well-plotted book, THE STINGRAY SHUFFLE provides characters whose blunders and missteps are a
Joyce
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series is consistently screwball and unpredictable. Summary: When serial-killing local Florida historian Serge A. Storms is off his meds, no one is safe -- not Russian hoods, Jamaican mobsters, spoiled frat boys, women's book clubs, drug dealers, bad Vegas-rejected local lounge acts -- especially when $5 million in cash in a bugged suitcase is still racing up and down the Eastern Seaboard. But in the oddball circus known as the Sunshine State, little things like astronomical body counts ten ...more
Jeanne
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story was funny beyond belief! There were many sub-stories going on, but they all came together in the end for a very good result. The $5 million returns, but you have to read or listen to learn if it finally finds a home or if we will be on the lookout for the elusive insurance settlement in the next Serge A. Storms installment. Funny lines, interesting characters, and, of course, Serge all wrap up in a 7 out of 10 rating for me on this one!
William
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I actually laughed out loud reading this book more times than I can remember. The fast paced silliness of this mystery seemed to be all over the place but was so much fun you did not care. Then, at the very end, he brought everything together and wrapped it all up. What a fun read.
Tim
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This reads like a very early version of Serge Storms. While there are some good Serge parts, overall not as engaging as later versions. Also Coleman is a big MIA, with substitute Lenny filling in not as admirably. 6 of 10 stars
Stuart
Apr 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Reading Dorsey is like eating candy. At first it's the most delicious thing you've ever had in your life and you can't get enough. But after a while it just gives you a headache, and then you don't want to finish it, and then you never want to see it again.
Carmen Serra
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a cute comedy of errors.
Kyle Morris
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book with a great twisting of plot. If you like comedic relief, read this!!!
Mort
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 STARS

This was the fourth Tim Dorsey novel I’ve read and the first review I write about him. With the first two books, I had to ask myself if I was resorting back to my juvenile sense of humor. Slapstick comedy is something I’ve outgrown – for the most part – and I couldn’t understand why I was enjoying the books so much and laughing so hard.
The third novel was even better than the first two and I had to look deeper to discover why. It all became clear with this fourth one.
Tim Dorsey is a dam
Larry Hostetler
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another good story, with many of the things I link in the Serge Storms books. The only thing that didn't work for me as more the result of having just read another of the Storms novels set in the Keys. With this one concentrated there it was too soon for me.

But the story, the characters, the situations, the mystery, the resolution, etc. were all up to my expectations and it was a very enjoyable read.

I'll keep reading these, because the characters are interesting and the history inserted is as
Anthony Kozlowski
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reads more like a writing exercise than an actual story. Tim Dorsey throws his characters down a hyper-meta rabbit hole (the book you're reading is in the book itself?) with little suspense and little consequence. Serge Storms is a fun protagonist as always, but nothing is as surprising or absurd as series highlights "Florida Roadkill" or "Orange Crush."

This won't put me off the series though. I'm a Serge-a-holic through and through. Even the worse books in the series keep me eager for more. 1.
Jim
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Another fun romp with my favorite psycho serial killer and Florida aficionado. Certainly not for everyone, but a delight for readers who grew up in Florida in the late twentieth century, particularly the eighties. Dorsey makes me laugh, while often throwing shade at shady people and institutions. I just can't resist jumping into the pink caddy and going on another wild ride. Oh, yeah, and on trains.
Timothy Kenny
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dorsey being Dorsey. This may be my favorite Serge iteration yet. His fascination and intensity with which he obsesses over trains this time 'round is hilarious. I love the running gag that many of the characters have read/are reading The Stingray Shuffle, the very book you're reading. Very well done. I love that I'm still 15 or so books behind, because I don't want to stop reading about Serge and his antics anytime soon.
Vickie Garner
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a wild historical ride along with Serge and Coleman. These two never dissappoint in the ingenuity and entertainment when dealing with the rude and criminally inclined. Serge also exploits his cunning defense in the court system that actually lures you ( and the judge) into rooting for him. I love Serge!
Roy Farchmin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely outrageous. Few things make me laugh out loud - Serge does it. This has a book within a book which is clever. It is a mystery. And, it almost seems autobiographical. I wonder if Dorsey might be psychotic.
Barbara Nutting
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one answered a lot of question I had after reading the others but where is Coleman? Wish I had read these in order! This had a lot of fun train history and as usual was filled with chaos and confusion. If you come to visit our Florida beaches you better know how to do the stingray shuffle!!
J. Coates
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost 5 stars. This book is completely ridiculous, even by Tim Dorsey standards, and it actually made this book one of the better episodes in this series.
Barbara
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Serge A Storms, the craziest sane man you'll ever read about. It is always interesting to see how Dorsey weaves his stories together.
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Naked Came the Manatee
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • Heart Seizure
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
“Serge bowed his own head and closed his eyes "God, please protect us from your followers. Amen” 10 likes
“What fresh hell is this?” 1 likes