Start by marking “Nectar” as Want to Read:
Nectar

Nectar

Nectar is the second collection of poetry and prose by Malawian storyteller Upile Chisala. In this book, Upile guides through a beautiful process of blooming starting with some poems on self love then words on our roots followed by acknowledging all the fruit of these experiences. The storyteller's hope is that these poems on growth encourage the reader to sow and to make ...more
Published February 2nd 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Nectar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nectar

Start your review of Nectar
Erika Sarutobi
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There is danger in letting people misname you.
If you are a fire,
do not answer when they call you a spark."

This book has a lot of self-love and self-worth even if some of the poems are one liners. Regardless, I loved it a lot! I honestly recommend for people to read and check this out even if you're not a fan of these modern poem format since some of these are really good advice. Some of the poems are about black lives matter as well.

Here are some of my favorites:

"I see you. You're not in this p
Erika Sarutobi
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"There is danger in letting people misname you.
If you are a fire,
do not answer when they call you a spark."

Here are some of my favorites:

"I see you. You're not in this p
Jovana Autumn
I read her first book this year and I found this one on NetGalley and decided to give it a try.

I don’t know why I repeatedly read poetry from the poets I know are Instagram or Tumblr poets.
I live in an illusion that they will somehow reach that depth that they are grasping to reach.
Because the topics they write about are very serious, but the way they write about them makes the topic seem trivial.

Let’s say the topic is self-love and growth. You can’t tell me this is a poem:

Some things shatter
Konstantin
Aug 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, and? What new material do you offer, present or articulate that hasn't been offered, presented and articulated dozens of times before, and better? A sappy Tumblr post is not a poem. A melodramatic quote is not a poem.

@ all of the "independent" Internet writers who take on "tough" topics while actually rambling around half-coherently about flowers, independence, strength and dating: do the readers a favor and don't publish.

Thank you so very much, and please don't bother to reply in defense o
Jaine
Sep 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review at https://yellowmajesty.com/nectar-upil...

“Powerful book” it mentions at the end of the book. Regardless, I didn’t find any of the poems powerful enough to make a difference and impact on me as a reader. I did have high hopes from this book since the synopsis seemed interesting, but now that I have read it I am quite disappointed.
Gretchen Gomez
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
she does it again. she's just so good.
chantel nouseforaname
The problem with IG poets is that they don't get deep enough. It's like a flower that hasn't bloomed. Maybe it's the space restraints, there's not enough space in the box or they don't think we can hang on for long enough for them to say how they really feel because we're scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. It's not surprising that Andrews McMeel Publishing has become synonymous with this style of poetry as well: it's their brand. Every book I've read out of there suffers from the same affliction. ...more
Renata
Aug 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think the message was good but the writing style wasn’t good enough to keep me entertained enough or feel something more than you know, some quotes together.
Meg Orton
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: Jonathan Ball Publishers in South Africa sent me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I am
Black
Woman
and African
In a world that undervalues all three

For the first time in many years my physical reaction to the written word was undeniable. I picked up Chisala's book and from the first sentence I was completely blown away by how effortlessly she found her way into the darkest reaches of my heart. Of course I am sure it was not in anyway effortless. I was hoping that I cou
megan ♡
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
What is the point of these types of ‘poetry’ collections? None of these were poems; they were dull and most of the time, literal sentences with maybe a random line break. I don’t know why these have been so popular recently... like, sure, nothing against this one in particular – they’re all as bad as each other – but Upile Chisala definitely just jumped on a bandwagon and realised she could publish a “poetry collection” if she wrote a few of her thoughts down in a slightly different way than usu ...more
Jassy Tamyra West
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Can’t I just be a black woman that loves herself in peace?
Without having to explain why my skin
(be it light honey or molasses)
is a dream?
Why my hair
(coarse or sleek)
is a crown?
Can’t I just be a black woman that loves being a black
woman?
Without having to be sorry
or humble
or polite about it.
Damn it!
Who else has to justify loving themselves like this?
Who else has to fight for the right to call themselves a
blessing?
Goodness,
can’t I just be a black woman that loves herself in peace?!”
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
'Love yourself tremendously
and
the second you meet someone who makes you question that love,
run fast, darling.

Run far.'

I liked reading this collection. I know I must not compare with the first collection but as this collection too talks about the same themes, I feel the first collection was definitely more hard hitting and direct.

What I love more about this collection was the simple language and the shorter lines. But once again, I feel like this collection has changed abruptly in its writing st
Jantine
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The poems in 'Nectar' hit right in the heart. They are empowering, kind, strong and loving - all at the same time.

Like she wrote herself in one of her poems: "I am ever grateful for those who patch wounds with words". This is exactly what she does herself, and I am ever grateful.
McKenzie Peterson
I was really excited when I saw that Upile Chisala had a second poetry collection coming out and even more excited when I saw it was available on Netgalley. Thank you so much Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this collection! However, I definitely enjoyed her first collection more.

This collection was hard for me. I didn’t feel like it was as well written nor as impactful as her first collection, Soft Magic. Partially, I don’t think they were edited as well, but also the subject matter
Iqra M.
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Nectar' is so beautiful and thought-provoking. I loved listening to the audiobook narrated by the author herself. Although I couldn't relate to most (probably all) of it, I love the themes that the book revolves around.
This collection is powerful and inspirational.
Lorenzo
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely a great read. It's definitely for black women but the transformative power of the words make it so any person of color can identify with it. I've lost count of how many poems I've earmarked. I'll keep those for the rainy days.
Mery Lizardo
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
“You always bring warmth, and I just want to put my hand in yours and learn how to light up the world a little”
Phathu Musitha
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating Nectar was a bit of a challenge. I think I would have appreciated this book more if I read it much sooner. There are many quotable bits and it resembles the Instagram poetry aesthetic.

I have loved Upile since seeing tweets of her poems and watching her recite her work live in 2017 when she visited South Africa. The next step was, of course, to buy one of her books to fully absorb what she is capable of.

I definitely expected to be moved more than I was. The depth was there, but very little
Simone
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favorite verses from the book:

The practice of letting go of gone things and saying "That wasn’t mine, but mine is
on the way."

I no longer accept anger that is not meant for me. If you come here heavy with fury
that I had no part in, please know that my hands won’t take it.
I refuse, entirely, to be where you store your rage.

They said
“Stay. Love will grow.”
Your heart said
“Go. You don’t know the first thing about gardening.”

I am
Black
Woman
and
African
in a world that undervalues all three.

D
✨ livia ✨
**3.5 stars rounded up**

I've never really been one for poetry, but I liked this one. And I like the fact that I liked it.

This poetry book is by a Black author, and obviously, there are things in here that only apply to Black people, and to Black women. As a white person, I will never be able to understand these issues. But I stand with Black people.

It was a touching read and you can really tell that Upile Chisala really poured her soul into this. It was nice. And I agree. Girls, never let yo
lena ☀️
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I received this from NetGalley for review

This didn't make me feel anything...

I want to make clear I have no issues with "Instagram poetry" and in many cases like it but this just felt like sentences and none of them hit me in anyway. None of them made me think or brought anything new and poetry, even if talking about common topics, needs to dig its way into the soul and change my mind.

This was ok but that's all, just ok. Some of these sentences were good and lovely sounding but that's not enou
Heather
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this book was very uplifting and I was able to really connect with the author. Even though the second section was heavily written to empower the African American female population, I felt the rest of the collection could’ve been written for absolutely anybody. The writing was beautiful and I definitely would read more of her work if she continues to publish. Definitely a book everyone should read.
Tamader Morgan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
i was provided an arc by the publisher and netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Upile's poetry is mastered with an eloquently beautiful voice. the collection delivers an emotional journey through the process of self-love and acceptance. it discusses everything—from heartbreak to loving yourself. it's both therapeutic and creative—the poetic message kisses all of your doubts away and leaves you with a promising ending. highly recommend reading this one. 4/5 stars! after reading soft magic
nikki
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to get into more poetry books lately and I’m so happy I found this one. It is such an incredible collection of poems! Most are uplifting and full of self-love. I was truly moved by this book. I will definitely look for more from this author!

Here’s to my first book of 2020! 🎉💛

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!
Nikki's Fiction Place
Nectar was written very well. I listened to this on audiobook and to hear the author speak her poems, so beautifully. She talked about letting go of your anger yet having forgiveness. The author also mentioned it's okay to show pride for being black,  love yourself. Love your black skin!

She touched on relationships and love and staying strong. Although short and I wanted more, it still packed a punch great writing, beautiful poetry! I will be reading more from this author soon.
Luna Naomi
sometimes you have to sit on a book for a while. metaphorically speaking. you have to let the words soak in before they fully resonate. or they're resonating already and you have to let the feeling in. this is one of those books. today is one of those days. understanding is one of those feelings.
Alyssah Roxas
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keeana
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I'm in loveeee
Holly
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this is one sitting and loved it

I was in need of a good book of poetry and Chisala did not let me down. It both exposed and soothed my soul. It made me feel refreshed and slightly anew
Tiffany
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chisala is a great poet. Her pieces really resonate and spark feeling within the reader. I blazed through this collection and found a gem in each piece.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: please add page count 2 14 Jan 09, 2018 11:36AM

• The Rose That Blooms in the Night
  • Tell Me Another Story: Poems of You and Me
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts, #3)
  • Submerge
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across
  • Between You and These Bones
  • She Was The Storm
  • How to Cure a Ghost

News & Interviews

“I hope you never stop talking about your dreams and what you want out of this rough, beautiful life.” 2 likes
“You do yourself and those who could love you a
disservice when you make yourself smaller; when
you eat your words or use less of your light.”
0 likes