Start by marking “If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #1)

If Looks Could Kill (Bailey Weggins Mystery #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  3,158 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
Meet Bailey Weggins, the thirty-something, single-again true crime writer for a leading Manhattan woman's magazine. Smart and savvy, she's got a sixth sense when it comes to seeing the truth in a story-especially if it's murder. Bailey's in bed with her commitment-challenged lover K.C. when she gets a frantic call from her high-maintenance boss at Gloss magazine. Grabbing ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about If Looks Could Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Looks Could Kill

Tea Jovanović
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not quite like Stephanie Plum, you would like this author and her series as much... :) Pure joy! :)
Jan 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I hated this book. It took me half the book to figure out why: the author explains every little detail. If the main character Bailey does something, then she explains why. She tosses in a few big words every now and then to remind the reader that the character has an ivy league education and was an English major. However, the words just seemed out of place in the storyline.
Angela Mitchell
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this series to date in the month of August. Very light reading, summer fare. I enjoyed the main character quite a bit. Fairly suspensful plots, but the endings of all but one of these (don't remember which) were terrible! The author was totally reaching when selecting the villains. However, for some reason I stuck it out through the entire series, but I don't think I'd admit it to any of my English Lit profs.
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in 2 days (mostly at work). Every time a detail started bugging me, the main character would point it out and explain it better. This is the best murder mystery I have read in a long time and plan on getting the next one from the library tomorrow!
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating this in my guilty pleasure category. This is a super fun, fast read!

I had recently become interested in Kate White books when I came across her book The Sixes and absolutely loved it. White is a former editor of Cosmopolitan magazine, and I've seen her Bailey Weggins mysteries described as "Nancy Drew meets Sex and the City"--such a perfect descriptor!

The Plot
This is the first of the Bailey Weggins mysteries, and it opens with true crime writer and journalist Bailey Weggins getting a call
This was a fun and interesting read. I will absolutely continue reading the rest of the books in the series!

If Looks Could Kill is a mystery book!.

Lately I've been feeling an urge to read mystery-thriller books and this was just what i needed to feed it rightly. The mystery was compelling enough to keep me wondering and reading.

Now, throw into that mystery a Sex and the City vibe and you're good to go!

I really love sex and the city, the TV show at least, I have not read the book (I didn't know
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
“If Looks Could Kill” by Kate White, is the first of a series featuring the character, Bailey Weggins. This series is full of suspense and mystery, with a soupcon of wit. It takes place in the fast paced world of magazines. Baily is a freelance writer who works for Gloss, a magazine aimed at today’s woman. She contributes true crime articles to the publication . Her sometimes friend, Cat, is the editor of Gloss, and she is in trouble. Cat is the object of an attempted murder spree, and she turns ...more
Karin Slaughter
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wanna say that this one is my favorite, but they all end up being my favorites because Kate is such a wonderful story teller. She helmed Cosmo for years, and you can really see in everything that she does that Kate is above all a woman who supports other women. We need more like that! And also more books from Kate. I think she has a new one coming out this summer and I can't wait. Though it might publish around Cop Town, so get Cop Town first!
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it except, why is it that the "sullen civil servants who move at the speed of drying paint" have to be fat? Are there no skinny people with bad work ethics? Are all civil servants lazy and fat? Why is it bad to use stereotypes about race or color or gender but not about weight? WHy is it okay to denegrate overweight people? Can you tell from this that I am overweight? I would be just as offended if the comment was about a person of color and I am white.
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it
It's hard to believe this book was ever published. The first 200 pages were gaggy froufrou. (I invented "gaggy" for this use). Coffee, clothes, food, shower- Coffee, clothes, food, shower- Coffee, clothes, food, shower. Then it finally developed into a story for the last half. I'm not saying I liked it. Even though 3 stars= liked it. It's just that it was such a big improvement over the first half.
🐥Erica Lundstrom🐥
I ‘felt’ this book to be a 3/3.5 because the characters just weren’t very engaging. However, the plot was a 5 to me, so I rounded up to 4. Perhaps the characters will be better developed in subsequent books
Lauren Fidler
3.5 stars.

this is a quick read (which is saying something since it clocks in at about 330 pages). bailey is likable enough - she talks fast, isn't afraid to swear, and says the things you're probably thinking as things happen (which is rare in a mystery). the narration, however, is a bit clunky in parts. sometimes, bailey reads like a 1920s can almost (almost) hear her say, "he's got a face only a mother could love on payday" with iambic intonation. it's a bit awkwar
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kate-white
Was not impressed with plot. The characters were annoying - but that was a huge impact on the whole story. It was a bit predictable. I will attempt the second in the series to see if this gets better.
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-mystery, 2016
In Kate White's If Looks Could Kill, the first installment in the Bailey Weggins mystery series, she told us a compelling and intriguing mystery about what lies beneath the surface. When Bailey Weggins, a true crime writer for a magazine, receives a call from her fellow friend and co-worker Cat, about her nanny Heidi being unconscious in her bedroom, Bailey helps her find out and discovers that Heidi had died. Later on, they talk to the police about the discovery and learn she was poisoned by tr ...more
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The book that began the Bailey Weggins mystery series. I definitely want to continue reading this series based on this one.
A nanny dies of poison and her wealthy employer is thought to be the target of the murderer. Is it the nanny who was meant to die, or her wealthy employer. Full of twists and turns you will be sure to like this cozy mystery. At the end of the book there is a preview of the next in the series as well. Recommend.
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I gave this a 2.5 out of three stars. Not quite sure how I felt about it. The review sounded more interesting than the book actually was. I didn't understand why Bailey was so quick to jump into looking into a death that her boss and friend, who wasn't really a "friend" in my opinion summoned her instead of calling the police. Maybe the next one will be better as it seems to me Bailey walked in circles a few times and trusted people who she never trusted to start with.
Catherine Bellmore
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not usually into the whole girly fake-drama, half romance, thing that was the filler for this book. However, I honestly did have a difficult time figuring out who the murderer was. I would read the next one.
Pat Dedert
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very likable main character, believable except for her tendency to engage in very risky behavior! The writing style is good and very engaging. I feel lucky to have stumbled on this author in her first outing and will be soon reading her second Bailey Wiggins mystery.
Deb White
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Based in NYC, Bailey Weggins free lances for a high fashion magazine. A nanny is murdered. Bailey helps her chief editor, Cat Jones, and her husband. There are suspects galore in this "who done it".
Daphne Cochran
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Really great story kept me on the edge of my seat till the reveal.
Cindy Bates
Good read. Horrible editing, spelling, etc.!
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it, on to the next one!
Monica Riegler-pecoraro
An enjoyable quick read
Nicole Shaw
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one was SO good!! A lot of twists and turns. It keeps you guessing right up to the end and even then you are still kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Kim Underwood
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a hard time coming back to this book. It didn’t hold my attention in the beginning.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kept me guessing until the very end. Thrilling, and I loved the characters.
Kristine R.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
*2017 Popsugar Reading Challenge - a book about food*
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beach read. Written by former editor in Chief of Cospolitan
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy, quick read. Liked the main character and that her decisions were not idiotic / in there for dramatic purpose only. Nothing complex about this book, but nice mindless entertainment.
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love the Bailey Wiggins Series!! Hope that there are more coming in this series.
Cafe Libri: August: If Looks Could Kill by Kate White 2 2 Aug 14, 2014 08:20PM
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • Judgment Calls (Samantha Kincaid #1)
  • Killer Deal (Molly Forrester Mystery, #3)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • It's My F---ing Birthday
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • The Givenchy Code (Codebreaker Trilogy, #1)
  • Murder on a Hot Tin Roof (Paige Turner, #4)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • Stalking Susan (Riley Spartz, #1)
  • The Morning Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #1)
  • The Woman in the Alcove
  • Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1)
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
Kate White, the former editor in chief of Cosmopolitan, is the New York Times bestselling author of several influential books on careers and success, as well as twelve murder mysteries and thrillers.

Her career books include the upcoming The Gutsy Girl Handbook: Your Manifesto for Success (Grand Central, April 3). This a totally revised edition, in handbook format, of her groundbreaking bestseller
More about Kate White...

Bailey Weggins Mystery (7 books)
  • A Body to Die For (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #2)
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)
  • Over Her Dead Body (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #4)
  • Lethally Blond (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #5)
  • So Pretty It Hurts (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #6)
  • Even If It Kills Her (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00