Start by marking “Generation Robot: A Century of Science Fiction, Fact, and Speculation” as Want to Read:
Generation Robot: A Century of Science Fiction, Fact, and Speculation

Generation Robot: A Century of Science Fiction, Fact, and Speculation

For fans of Mary Roach, a sweetly nostalgic and enlightening exploration of futures past, present, and still to come.

Generation Robot covers a century of science fiction, fact and, speculation—from the 1950 publication of Isaac Asimov’s seminal robot masterpiece, I, Robot, to the 2050 Singularity when artificial and human intelligence are predicted to merge. Beginning
Published February 6th 2018 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about Generation Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation Robot

Start your review of Generation Robot: A Century of Science Fiction, Fact, and Speculation
Khashayar Mohammadi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title can be slightly deceiving. I'd personally replace "A Century of Science Fiction" with "A Century of Robots" considering how the book is mainly an exploration of Robots and not Science-fiction as a whole. Quite a niche book with incisive commentary on the cultural and moral dilemmas we're currently facing at the dawn of A.I. Quite a refreshing read. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Robotics and/or Artificial Intelligence.
Diane Bracuk
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I was born in the middle of the big, fat fifties, a decade stuffed with lardy piecrust, Fluffernutters and fear.” And with that brilliant opening line, Terri Favro takes us on a funny, fascinating, deeply felt journey through her generation’s relationships with robots, artificial intelligence and computers.

Favro, who is also the author of the critically acclaimed novel sci-fi novel Sputnik’s Children, is a master at physical description, creating closely observed worlds both real and imagined.
Artur Coelho
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Uma obra intrigante para juntar às estantes de livros sobre futurismos. Com um ponto de vista único, e raramente visto neste género. Não apregoa apocalipses distópicos nem pinta tudo com um rosa optimista berrante. Não é um livro escrito por alguém ligado ao futurismo ou ao comentário sobre tecnologia. Antes, é uma reflexão muito pessoal, construída a partir de reminiscências de uma vida, amor à ficção científica e pesquisa independente sobre computação, robótica e inteligência artificial.

Não p
Elena Alvarez Dosil
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally published at: http://www.lomeraniel.com/audiobookre...

I rarely read non-fiction, but I found the title and premises of this book appealing. Terry Favro explores how robots were conceived in literature and film, and how that translated into reality. We witness the beginning of simple machines like elevators, and then typewriters and computers; how Gates and Jobs started their journey, and the evolution of AI, driverlerss cars, without forgetting the eternal debate about whether robots will take away our jobs.
Hannah Brown
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terri Favro's Generation Robot—what a surprising pleasure the book is—as if a warm conversationalist is visiting with you, sharing personal stories and upbeat, cool information about past, present, and even future human beings interacting with computers ..er, robots. ( From the notes at the back alone, you know she's done a whack of research, but she has the gift of the light touch and a laugh out loud sense of humour).
Laura Ostermeyer
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun and enlightening book on not only the past of robots but also, probable future. It's a perfect read for those of us who are delighted and intrigued by robots but do not have a scientific or mathematical background. I highly recommend it!
Lisa Nikolits
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Brilliantly written and hilarious, with sharp-as-a-tack insights, observations, past, present and future.

I haven’t enjoyed a book this much since Trespassing on Einstein's Lawn: A Father, a Daughter, the Meaning of Nothing, and the Beginning of Everything by Amanda Gefter. That book, about which this was said, “In a memoir of family bonding and cutting-edge physics for readers of Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality and Jim Holt's Why Does the World Exist?, Amanda Gefter tells the sto
Lori S
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't think much about the technical side of my phone except when the battery is low and I need to charge it. I certainly never think twice about stepping into an elevator and I've never watched an entire episode of Star Trek. What I did do was pick up a copy of the wonderful non-fiction book, Generation Robot. A Century of Science, Fact, and Speculation after hearing author, Terri Favro speak about it. I soon found out that Favro's writing is as captivating as her presentation skills. In the ...more
Akemi G.
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Fine read to review the past few decades of robots, both in science fiction and in real use, and it also predicts the near future of AI/robots such as self-driving vehicles, smart homes, etc.

The first half is interesting; for instance, why do we remain suspicious over "new" technology? If the public don't embrace the new stuff (read: buy it), it gets shelved due to lack of R&D money, so this is a critical question. The quotation marks are added because, often, the technology isn't so new; a
Dorianne Emmerton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rarely read non-fiction, but this was conversational, funny, and driven by the authors' own personal narrative, enough that I fully enjoyed it. It explores things like how Asimov's Three Laws still drive much of the industry - and philosophy - of robotics today; the plausibility of the technological singularity; and what a fully automated Internet Of Things household might look like and when we can expect it.

The risk of writing about tech is how soon your words become outdated, and
Ayse
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this popular science look at the current status of robotics and AI. I was expecting it to be more of a look at robots as they were portrayed in science fiction from the tag line but it was much more science fact than I thought it would be. it was a pleasant surprise as the writing was good (from an advertising veteran apparently). The visions of the future were funny, the writing was mostly amusing, the personal anecdotes were relatable, the topics were interesting. There were too few ...more
Deedra
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting and fun book to listen to.The topics it covered were many.Teri Schnaubelt was a terrific narrator..I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Daniel
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the antidotes about her father. I enjoyed the fictional little stores that she wrote at the beginning at some of the chapters. Reading the self driving car chapter made me wish there were self driving cars right now. This was a fun book to read.
Jan Exner
Nathan Gingrich
Jun 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • Robotics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • You've Got a Book in You: A Stress-Free Guide to Writing the Book of Your Dreams
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • 100 of the Worst Ideas in History: Humanity's Thundering Brainstorms Turned Blundering Brain Farts
  • Working: People Talk about What They Do All Day and How They Feel about What They Do
  • Earthseed: The Complete Series
  • Planted
Terri Favro's novel "Sputnik's Children" (ECW ) was chosen as one of the Globe & Mail's 100 Best Books of 2017, CBC Books Top 10 Canadian Fiction Books of 2017, and Quill & Quire Best Books of 2017. Her latest novel is "Once Upon A Time in West Toronto" (Inanna). In February 2018, her book "Generation Robot: A Century of Science Fiction, Fact and Speculation" will be published by Skyhorse ...more