Start by marking “Boomerang” as Want to Read:
Boomerang

Boomerang

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Michael Sterling disappeared from his Maine town five years ago. Everyone assumed he was kidnapped. Everyone was wrong.

Now, at seventeen, he’s Sean Woodhouse. And he’s come “home,” to the last place he wants to be, to claim the small inheritance his grandparents promised him when he graduated high school, all so he can save Trip, the boy he developed an intense and complic
Published March 6th 2018 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about Boomerang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boomerang

C.G. Drews
HOLY WOW I MIGHT CRY. I'm not kidding: this book is so so stressful. It's also super character driven, the messy and angsty and heartfelt and bursting with emotions types of characters. And I knew from like page 2 that this book was going to be intense. Did I mention sTReSSfUL?? I literally had my heart in my mouth for ages omg. Although I admit that was good and bad. I am ALL for torturing readers (lmao this is what authors live for) but I found some of Sean's actions really really annoying to ...more
Rachel Solomon
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blurbed
Official blurb: BOOMERANG is a masterfully crafted story about identity, family, and the meaning of home. The wholly original premise sucked me in, and the characters, all aching in different ways, kept me there. This is a YA novel that begs to be reread, talked about, and held close to your heart.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this sounds like some angsty gay content and y'all know I'm here for the angsty gay content
Christy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this beautiful, character driven story of finding oneself and the complex experiences of becoming an adult. I am broken and rekindled all at once. This book will definitely make my top 10 this year.

“You need to know,” he started, and I closed my eyes waiting for him to punch me or tell me that he never wanted to see me again. “Even when we’re old, like Maggie said … every time I look at you, I’m going to be thinking of doing that again.”

Sean is a character readers won't easily f
Danielle Chambers
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, ebooks, 2018-lgbt
Intentionally, it takes a while to get your bearings in this book.

Michael disappeared 5 years ago and suddenly shows back up now going by the name Sean. We get bits and pieces of Sean’s story of what happened slowly. It takes a bit to piece together what happened. Everyone thinks Michael was kidnapped, but really he ran away to escape his addicted mother. He wanted to find somewhere he felt he was noticed and mattered.

He convinced an older couple a town over to keep him hidden. He changed his
Haley |  mythoughtsareabook
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
FULL REVIEW HERE: https://mythoughtsareablog.com/2018/0...

“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Wilde’s always right, isn’t he?

Trust me when I say I will be reading this book over and over again. I was sent Boomerang by Helene Dunbar for a blog tour which is coming up soon and the synopsis alone had me itching to read this up and coming novel. Boomerang is out March 6th so make sure you preorder it!

I loved how fast paced thi
Max Baker
You know what I don't like? Plots based on half assed contrivances that are done away with by the half way mark. You know what else I don't like? Characters who create unnecessary drama because they refuse to actually talk to someone who can easily solve all their problems.

Guess what book has both of those things in spades?

Look, Boomerang is a book that I just know will make a lot of people happy in that "you will cry like this is a Pixar movie" kind of way, but that sort of storytelling can go
meep
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Was expecting more of a "when jeff came home" vibe but it was very different. still a good book. very complicated but had a nice hea so i am content with it
Online Eccentric Librarian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, romance

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Boomerang is a bit of a different animal in that this isn't a romance so much as a collection of people with very messy lives coming to terms with their life choices and the mistakes they've made. There are absolutely no black and white characters; each acts according to their desires and situations, for better or worse. The crux of the story is main character Sean returning to the life he ran away from when younger - an
TBW
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In her intricately plotted Boomerang, Helene Dunbar explores themes of identity, self-discovery and the meanings of family and home. Five years prior to the main action, Michael, a blonde boy disappears from his Maine town, leaving an alcoholic mother and a trust fund he could not access. He returns as Sean, a dark-haired boy with equally dark secrets, as well as a mission. Who is and who was Michael? How was Sean formed? And whom does this main character carry in his heart? Every page begs to b ...more
Mary
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of BOOMERANG, and it's everything I hoped it would be. Flawed, complicated characters are at the heart of this story, and everyone has their own secrets. Michael/Sean's return to the town he ran away from five years before brings more than the anticipated homecoming celebrations, and his feelings for Trip are more complicated than even he realizes.

LGBT+ rep is well done. Michael/Sean is likely bi, and his feelings and attractions are complex and compelling.
Carly Lyn
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll edit with something coherent soon. But........ Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip Sean & Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finished in 1 sitting. What a page-turner. Lots of feels.
Izzy
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(I'm an amateur book reviewer sorry) This book was one of the best books I've read all year. I am so happy I picked it up at the library. If you really appreciate character driven stories please read this. Sean had this depth of character that made him seem real. Everyone in the book was. I loved this please read it.
Helene
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I can’t tell you exactly where the idea for BOOMERANG came from. One day it didn't exist and the next I knew I wanted to tell the story of a boy who everyone assumed had been kidnapped, but who really hadn’t been. A boy who left a bad situation and ended up with something he thought was perfect. Until it wasn’t, because nothing really is.

The story was originally told in two points of view until I realized that Sean’s story wasn’t the story of the friends and family he’d abruptly left and then ju
Tyler Hixson
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really good, you guys.

Full review to follow.
Vanessa
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was without a doubt one of the most frustrating books I've ever read. Not because it was bad. It wasn't. But because of the main character aka our first person narrator.

As a reader, I naturally try to sympathize with the character that's telling me the story. I'm actively looking for reasons to like them or relate to them. I want to root for them and their happiness.

But Sean?

Sean was flat-out unlikeable. I actually found myself talking to him out loud. Things like: "What are you doing?" and
Kathy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

In Boomerang by Helene Dunbar, a runaway teenager returns home in order to collect an inheritance to save his best friend.

Five years earlier, twelve year old Michael Sterling felt like he had choice but to run away from home. His alcoholic mother is neglectful and makes her living dancing in a strip club. He stows away in a builder's truck then reinvents himself as Sean Woodhouse. For the next five years, he lives in seclusion with the Woodhouses where he is homeschooled and befriends
Liza Street
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Simply a gorgeous book, and I don't even know where to start to explain how much I love it. The characters are flawed and real in ways that alternately make me want to give them giant hugs and then a smack on the head, but the entire time I was cheering them on, hoping that they would, eventually, find their way and make the right choices. The way the main character, Sean, narrates his world is so, so good. I highly recommend this book!
Chris Tower
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The drama is the kind of pure angst and torment that defined our teen years. I give it my highest recommendation!! More to come here with a full review here and at https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/
Curtis Davenport
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok but didn't really hold my intrest.
P.M.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Let's just say that if I lost this book and it didn't return to me, I would not go looking for it.
Bostjan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay
A painful read; one of the two MCs, Sean/Michael, is an egotistical, cheating, ungreateful a--h*le.
Aleighsha
Jamie
May 23, 2018
Chomy
Mar 17, 2018
Helene Dunbar is the author of BOOMERANG (2018), BLOOD MAKES NOISE (Sourcebooks 2019), and PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS (Sourcebooks 2020) as well as THESE GENTLE WOUNDS, and WHAT REMAINS. Over the years, she's worked as a drama critic, journalist, and marketing manager, and has written on topics as diverse as Irish music, court cases, theater, and Native American Indian tribes. She lives in Nashville w ...more
More about Helene Dunbar

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)