Start by marking “It Takes a Village” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Village

It Takes a Village

It Takes a Village offers a universal, unifying message. It captures perfectly Clinton’s vision of a multicultural America working toward a constructive goal. So hopeful and forward-looking.” —The Washington Post

“Inspired by her 2006 book of the same name, Clinton’s unadorned text celebrates how civic spirit emerges…Most of the storytelling is found in Frazee’s delicately
Published September 12th 2017 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Village

Start your review of It Takes a Village
Calista
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Niece invited the entire family to a literary tea today. She set a place with name tags for each of us. She served tea and then read this book to us. After we had a discussion about the book. She does this at her Montessori school. It was actually a great tea and we had some good discussions. We talked about better ways to make our village better. I think this is pretty impressive for a 6 year old.

I loved the story and the illustrations were fun too. Very well done.

We need rest, peace and
Samantha Ania
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We could have had a President full of grace and love who writes a book to inspire children. Instead, we decided to suck.
Krista Regester
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet and powerful message that is illustrated beautify.
David J
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps not the best written picture book, but it sure does carry a strong and positive message.
Annie ⚜️
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I found the beginning a bit confusing and I had to explain to my son what was going on in the story. Closer to the end, it's clear they are all building something together and everyone's doing their part but it could have been clearer from the start for a child. The illustrations were we'll done and the story was nice overall.
Chinook
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: motherhood, kids, america
This is a sweet picture book that encourages empathy and helping and togetherness. The illustrations are good and inspired a lot of chatter from both my 1 and 3 year olds. The story was fine, though it didn’t always flow for me.
Wade Snowden
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I did read this to a group of 18 year olds like I was their teacher. Yes, I am counting it to my total books for the year. It made me cry. Read it to your children.
Katie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
More a book for adults than a book for children, but it still has lovely illustrations and an important message.
Kats
A picture book for young children that carries a powerful and important message: together we're stronger.
The illustrations are lovely, but the writing is 'meh', it doesn't have the kind of rhythm or wording that really sticks with children, or the adults who read to them. In fact, I found it a bit stilted and awkward to read out loud to the little ones for whom I was reading it.
La Coccinelle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It's funny how I seem to find library e-books in clusters. One day, I read a couple of books about elephants. Another day, I read a couple of books whose titles started with How to.... Today, I came across picture books by both Hillary Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea. I read Chelsea's first, which may have been a mistake... because it make her mom's look weak in comparison.

This seems to be the sort of picture book that's aimed at adults more than kids. Yes, kids are smart. Yes, community and
Margie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every educator knows more than one person is responsible for ensuring our children develop to their full potential as citizens of the world. And I know I have said this before but school librarians are in an invaluable position to see all the children in the school for at least three years, usually four or five, sometimes six, depending on the type of school. This brings a singular understanding of the web woven by the children's personalities and their families. We get to see the forest and the ...more
Chelsea
While I enjoyed the message that this book sent, I do not think that I would read this during a general story time. That is not to say I would never read this during a story time, but I think this book and its message would fit better with a themed story time or specific topic during a school visit; such as community, being neighborly, helping others, etc.

To be shelved for later.
Aamina
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
More of an adult picture book..
Bethe
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Winter break bookaday #6. Celebration of children and their place in the community. Author’s note in back explains the inspiration from African proverb.
Maggie Ignasiak
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is just wonderful! I wish I could read it during storytimes, but with them being in such a conservative area, I'd have a mutiny on my hands. Isn't it funny that a concept as lovely as working together to be better citizens and create a better future citizenship could be seen with such derision? I would recommend this as a great gift for people who work with children, parents, but more than anything, kids themselves.
Claudia
YES! I read subversive books...evil books! I've heard the outcry over Clinton's adult book with the same title and I'm tired...tired of the fake outrage just to ramp up hate.

This is a sweet book with few words and lots of details in the pictures...it will fascinate children and their adults as they pore over the hidden stories in the pictures.

It DOES take a village...a family (inherited or created). A town. A neighborhood. A school.

And in the end, what evil plot has been hatched, conspiracy
Sara
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received a copy of this book from a signing event hosted by another branch of the book store I work for and it still holds up as a wonderful example of everyone accepting and working with each other.
Elissa Schaeffer
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've heard the proverb "It takes a village to raise a child" but until I had my first child, I had no idea how true that is. Clinton's books is beautifully illustrated by Marla Frazee and shares the message that we are in this together and together we have to care for each other.

Two particular pages stood out to me: "Because the world is in a hurry but children are not" is a great reminder that we as a society need to slow down and let children be children. The second page that really stood out
Nicole
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can explore the idea of community and belonging and all that good stuff and make it into a beautifully packaged book, simple and well-illustrated, for kids of all ages, ala "All the World" (Scanlon) or "Peace" (Halperin). However, I was disappointed at the utter lack of substance in this book. It's only leg to stand on is Frazee's beautiful illustrations. This feels like a product rushed to cash in on 2017's political climate. Many books have clearly been published with this demand in mind ...more
Julie
I loved the book right from the inside flap of the front cover, which poses one question: What does it take to change the world? Secretary Clinton and illustrator Marla Frazee answer with a beautiful look at community, cooperation, families, teamwork, and belief. My favorite lines were toward the middle of the book: "Every child needs a champion. Or two. Or three. Or more. And the right tool to get the job done. Every family needs help sometimes. Kindness and caring and sharing matter." Simple ...more
Allison
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-top-reads
Hillary has brought her idea of 'villagers' into a format even the youngest preschooler can grasp. We are all in this together.
Marla Frazee's work is beautiful and moving.

I will need to own this one.
Jillian Heise
Lovely in words, illustrations, and message. Beautiful page spreads show a diverse community working together to build a playground, exemplifying the message of inclusiveness and community all being in it together.
MaryLibrarianOH
This is a gift book for adults. It speaks more to them then to a child. I like the message and think it is important I just think the target audience is off. The illustrations are diverse and intricate creations that lift up the text.
Shannon Hong
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
heartwarming, beautiful illustrations.
Lauren
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A pretty cute picture book with lovely illustrations showing diverse families, simply telling children how important everyone's role is as a citizen.
Clementine
Lovely illustrations by Marla Frazee and a simple, relevant message.
Gina
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very light book. It simply shows many people working together to create a park for the community, helping each other, not really with conflicts. That may make it entirely too kumbaya for some, but I would like to make three points about that.

1. The artwork by Marla Frazee is really beautiful.
2. A note from Clinton at the back points out that this cooperation could go over many projects, like feeding the homeless, which she has seen happen often. I too have seen many stories of
Rae
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the perfect read after a tough parenting day. It reminded me of the little things. The sentiment that touched me the most was how kids do not rush + the rest of the world is so busy. As a mother, I oftentimes find myself hurrying my son up the stairs or out the door when I should spend more time delighting in the simple + the process of it all. He’s simply amazed by everything. I usually read two pages of a bigger book but it seems serendipitous that I chose otherwise this evening.
Angie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
an uplifting read, giving me hope on a day I needed it.
Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
I read this while in the B&N today and read it in under 5 minutes. Though it was obviously much simpler I mightve found Clinton to be a more consistent writer in this than in What Happened. its a fine message that hopefully kids get (the one page saying all kids are "citizens" was a little vague though - is that meant as a dig against anti-immigration people?) and the illustrations are absolutely lovely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • Why Am I Me?
  • Let Me Finish!
Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton (born October 26, 1947) was the 67th United States Secretary of State, serving in the cabinet of President Barack Obama. In 2016, she became the first woman in U.S. history to win a major party's presidential nomination, and the first woman to win the popular vote in a presidential race - despite losing the election.

She was a Senator from the state of New York from