Start by marking “A Loud Winter's Nap” as Want to Read:
A Loud Winter's Nap

A Loud Winter's Nap

(Fiction Picture Books)

Every year Tortoise sleeps through winter. He assumes he isn't missing much. However, his friends are determined to prove otherwise! Will Tortoise sleep through another winter, or will his friends convince him to stay awake and experience the frosty fun of winter? Best-selling author Katy Hudson's charming picture book, now in a board book format, will convince even the bi ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Capstone Young Readers (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Loud Winter's Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Loud Winter's Nap

Mischenko
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Loud Winter's Nap by Katy Hudson is a children's picture book follow-up to Too Many Carrots.

Tortoise is ready to settle down and sleep for the winter, but everyone else has different intentions! Follow along in the story to see if Tortoise ever get's his winter sleep.

We loved this book! It's a perfect short and simple story for young readers. The illustrations are so vibrant and detailed.

Thanks to Netgalley for sharing a copy of A Loud Winter's Nap with me.

5*****

Geo Marcovici
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translation widget on the blog!!!
Recenzia mea aici:
PattyMacDotComma
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for little kids (and anyone who loves kids' books)
One of the most attractive children's picture books I've seen in a while. Cute story and gorgeous illustrations. The cover hasn't been released, I guess, so it might change, but this is the cover of my preview copy.
 photo tortoise cover_zpshklvmlqh.jpg
Bookcover

It's a simple story of a tortoise who just wants to hibernate and take a LONG, not a LOUD, winter's nap. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently so! He is interrupted with invitations to sing-alongs, snowball fights and all kinds of winter play. But he's determined to find a s
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Tortoise wants to sleep during the winter. He keeps saying tortoises don't like winter. (Turtles actually do hibernate, but underground in muddy banks not trees). Every place he finds to sleep, he is disturbed by one if his friends and asked to participate in some type of winter activity. Tortoise is not happy about this and he keeps looking for a quiet place to nap. When he accidentally ends up on a sled going down a hill, he realizes how much fun it is and decides that some tortoises like wint ...more
ღ Carol jinx~☆~☔
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very fun to read children's book.
AMY
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K - 2
This is one fun picture book! Tortoise is having so much trouble finding a quiet place to hibernate. The illustrations are colorful, whimsical and sweet. Look carefully at every inch of the page. It is a great book to share with students while studying hibernation/winter themes. Kids will laugh out loud as the poor tortoise keeps trying to get his snooze on. I loved it and can’t wait to share with my students in January. Highly recommended for Grades K-2.
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
A Loud Winter's Nap. Written and illustrated by Katy Hudson. Children’s Fiction. Print Length: 32 pages. Published by Capstone Young Readers 01 September 2017. Kindle edition. 5 Stars.

Both young and old may enjoy the delightful and colorful winter scenes in this cozy children’s picture book where a tortoise finally discovers that there are better things to do than hibernate during the winter! Highly recommend.
Christine Irvin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tortoise just wants a quiet place to sleep during the long cold winter. But, when he finds a quiet spot, he is disturbed by a robin, and then a rabbit, and then by squirrels, and then by a beaver, each time forcing him to find another quiet spot. He finally finds what he thinks is the perfect spot, but he is in for a big surprise. What happens next will make you smile. The great illustrations and the wonderful repetition make this a wonderful book for kids.
Tara
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.
This is a great book about the tortoise who is ready to settle down for his long and quiet winter's nap. One by one his friends interrupt his sleeping and attempt to persuade him. Eventually, he gives in and joins all the fun. Cute book, great illustrations, an all around a great picture book.
Kelley
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute follow up to “Too Many Carrots”. The artwork is beautiful. Perfect for the child that likes cutesy animal stories. ☺ ...more
Trish
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2017
This book has cute illustrations.
Rachel
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Listen, I love a colorful book so naturally I love this one. Plus it's a cute story. It definitely belongs on a child's shelf!
Racheal
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and silly tale about trying something new that you think you're going to hate but ultimately end up loving
Tracie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tortoise learns to embrace change when his long winter nap is interrupted, prompting him make friends and enjoy seasonal activities. Witty and cute.
Kym
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is cute. Maybe great for those who don't like winter so much. (hint Ms. Clinton)
VillaPark Public Library
Christina Says: Tortoise doesn’t like winter. In fact, all he wants to do is sleep through it. But every time he settles in for a long nap, a new animal comes and wakes him up! Robin invites him to sing, Rabbit asks him to help make ice sculptures…everyone has a fun winter activity to do, but Tortoise just wants to find peace and quiet. When Tortoise accidentally stumbles upon a sled, he discovers just how much fun winter can be! A Loud Winter’s Nap is a very cute book with beautiful illustratio ...more
Sharon Tyler
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A Loud Winters Nap by Katy Hudson is a charming picturebook. Every year Tortoise sleeps through winter. He assumes he isn't missing much. However, his friends are determined to prove otherwise! Will Tortoise sleep through another winter, or will his friends convince him to stay awake and experience the frosty fun of winter? Best-selling author Katy Hudson's charming picture book will have everyone excited for winter.

A Loud Winters Nap is a fun story about a tortoise that just wants to hibernate.
Arlene Allen
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I do get what this book was trying to do; be a fun, repetitive, cute story of a grumpy tortoise who eventually learns to love winter.

But the first 3/4 of the book sees Tortoise looking for a quiet, secure place to sleep and I kept thinking, dude, you have a shell. Like, duh. And trust me, I’ve worked with enough preschoolers to know they’re going to tell you that.
Stacy
Nice illustrations, but story is nothing special.
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What an adorable book! I have a soft spot for turtles, so reading about one trying to hibernate was fun. The adorable illustrations paired well with the text.
Bill
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Loud Winter’s Nap, written and illustrated by Katy Hudson, is a solidly told and charmingly illustrated story about a tortoise’s travails in trying to find a quiet spot to hibernate. I had some issues with the narrative, but was won over by the cheery, quirky illustrations.

Even before the text part of the story begins, we get a sense of the visual charm of the book with the opening few pages offering up a collage-like collection of items and smaller texts: a teddy bear, a carrot from rabbit (“
Stephanie Smith
Reading Level: 1.9

Book Summary: Winter fun is happening all around tortoise, only he thinks "tortoise's don't like winter." He spends a lot of time trying to find a place to sleep the winter away, but he can't sleep because of everyone else's loud winter fun. This is a cute winter read and tortoise just might see how fun winter can be.

Bookshelf Genre: Picture book

Characteristics to support the genre: Colorful and amazing illustrations. Appealing and Engaging.

Bookshelf mentor traits:
*Sentence Fl
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
It’s time for Tortoise to begin his long winter’s nap. But just as he settles in to hibernate until spring, Tortoise is woken up by a Robin’s singing class. Invited to join the class, Tortoise explains that he doesn’t like winter and packs up his stuff, and finds a new place to sleep. When he hears tap, tap, tap, he discovers Rabbit making ice sculptures. Invited to join, Tortoise explains he doesn’t like winter, and packs up his stuff to find a new place to sleep. But again, his sleep is distur ...more
Stephanie (ITakePicturesOfBooks)
Becky B
Tortoise is getting ready to hibernate and escape horrid winter. But his neighbors are a bit noisy, and a quiet spot is really hard to find. Will he find a place to escape?

The solution to this is not what I expected, but it was a lot of fun. As someone who has blood adjusted to a tropical climate and could be perfectly happy never feeling real cold weather again, Tortoise's discoveries towards the end of the book are good reminders of some of the better perks of there being winter in the world.
A Allen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I LOVE the illustrations in this book and, as someone who dislikes winter and wishes they could burmate too, I found Tourtoise adorable and relatable when he just wanted to nap. I was happy for Tourtoise when he started to think maybe winter wasn't so bad and I'm very very glad he discovered that all by himself (albeit by mistake) instead of his friends forcing it upon him. He learned winter activities could be fun and THEN he went on to enjoy winter with his friends. However, I am concerned tha ...more
Psusan
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
If anyone has ever kept you awake then you can sympathize with tortoise in A Loud Winter's Nap by Katy Hudson. While children will love outrageous of his search for sleep, I think it will parents who can identify with him. Theme for us adults make be, if you can’t beat them, then join them.

The illustrations are brightly colored with lively expressions on the animals making the humor within this story come alive. The text is simple while still conveying the message of poor tortoise looking for a
Carina
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mommy thinks this book has a colorful, wonderful cover - and the illustrations inside the book don't disappoint either. She loves the snowy evergreen trees on the end pages. It's so fun to look at the pictures in the book and pick up all the cute details. We would read another Katy Hudson book just to look at her illustrations. Luckily, the story is cute, too. Tortoise tries to settle in for a winter's nap, but he keeps getting interrupted by the other noisy animals. By the end, he realizes that ...more
Patrycja
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely entertaining and fun children book with stunning illustrations. Such a pleasure to read it and look at those incredible, vibrant pictures.
Sweet and cute winter story, not only for a bed time.
Tortoise doesn't like winter and is looking forward to sleep through the cold days till spring. But it is so hard to sleep, when there is so much noise around. Other animals wake him up and ask to sing with them, play in the snow, throw snowballs.
At the end Tortoise ends up on the slight. Does
Lydia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tortoise is quite sure that he (and Tortoises in general) don't like winter, so he's determined to hibernate through it. However, not all the animals in the forest share his opinion or plan and continue to go about their normal activities... which tend to disturb Tortoise's nap. But with a little help from a sled Tortoise may change his mind!

Though I'm not a fan of super freezing cold, I do enjoy several winter activities; but I also sympathize with Tortoise, sometimes you just want a long nap!

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Thank You, Mr. Panda
  • Snow
  • Mine!
  • Blizzard
Katy Hudson won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book Award Gold in 2014 for her illustrations in the book Animal Teachers. Her debut picture book, Bear and Duck, received strong reviews, including a starred review from Kirkus. Katy is the author of the best-selling picture books Too Many Carrots and A Loud Winter's Nap, which both received numerous positive reviews. Katy lives in London.

From Goog

Fiction Picture Books (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Do Not Take Your Dragon to Dinner