Start by marking “To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)” as Want to Read:
To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)

To the Edge

(The Bodyguards #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  6,805 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
The daughter of a wealthy businessman, Jillian Kincaid grew up with bodyguards shadowing her every move-and she hated it. Now a TV anchorwoman, she refuses to let another hired thug follow her around. Not even when she begins to receive terrifying death threats. Not even when the bodyguard is the darkly seductive Nolan Garrett...

Trained in Special Ops, bodyguard Nolan Gar
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 3rd 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about To the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Edge

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardAfter the Night by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareNaked in Death by J.D. Robb
Best Romantic Suspense
1,839 books — 2,477 voters
Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighThe Darkest Hour by Maya BanksUnlawful Contact by Pamela Clare
I Love A Man In Uniform
1,425 books — 1,443 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I could not put this book down :D Cindy Gerard is definitely going up on my favorite authors list. Photobucket

"How good are you?" she asked point-blank, bringing his head up from the counter where he was cracking eggs in a bowl.
The sudden silence was so huge it felt like a physical presence in the room, electrifying the air with its energy.
Before her eyes he transformed from Mr. Sensitivity to stone-cold killer.
"No one's getting past me, Jillian."

The story

Jillian has been getting death threats, but hasn't
Mo
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOLAN GARRETT, one of those tortured men, that I just cannot get enough of.

Jillian is receiving death threats and her father decides she needs a Bodyguard until the stalker is found and all this risky business is over. Her father hires Nolan to look out for Jillian.

The threats are being left in the form of nursery rhymes with added words that are threatening.

Jillian and Nolan do not get on at all. Sparks fly when they are in the same room.

So many suspects….

“Go away. I told you, I'm not intereste
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of romantic suspense
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Shawna
I've been kind of ho-hum about romantic suspense with no paranormal lately. I haven't been willing to take a dive into many of the newer authors out there, or some of the older faves. I'm glad that Shawna recommended for me to start the Cindy Gerard books. This was a very good book.

I just adored Nolan. He a well-structured, complex character: rugged, gorgeous, competent, humorous, down-to-earth, and tortured. The barriers that he erected against Jillian made a lot of sense. He knew that he coul
Jonetta
The set up
Jillian Kincaid has been receiving death threats that are now seeming to intensify. The daughter of a wealthy businessman, her high profile image is magnified through her job as a news co-anchor for the local TV station. Nolan Garrett, a former Army Ranger squad leader, is assigned by his family's security company to be her bodyguard. He's doing it under duress as he's trying to also deal with demons stemming from his tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The issues
Jillian doesn't want a body
Quinn
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I've seen loads of good press for Cindy Gerards's brand of Romantic Suspense here on GoodReads, and since I am suffering withdrawal from Suzanne Brockmann's brilliant Troubleshooters series, I thought it was a about time I give this one a try.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say my expectations weren't quite met.

The writing was good, with the exception of a couple of misguided references to Skippy, the one-eyed wonder snake, early in the piece which didn't seem to fit. Thankfully this wasn't at all pr
Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

To the Edge is the first in Gerard's Bodyguard series. To the Edge is an exciting romantic suspense story with a fast paced plot and well developed characters. Although it's not quite as steamy of a read as some others in the genre, Gerard does a great job of creating intense sexual chemistry between the main characters that evolves into a realistic romantic relationship. It's a strong start to the popular Bodyguard series.
jenjn79
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
I've had this series sitting around waiting to be read for ages and am finally getting a chance to start reading it. I enjoyed this first book in the series. I wouldn't say it was awesome or would be a favorite book ever, but it was solid 4-stars.

Summary:
Nolan Garrett has been floundering and spiraling toward alcoholism since he left the Army Rangers. A series of events left him shaken and feeling guilty. Then his siblings gang up on him and force him to take a bodyguarding job for their company
Buggy
Opening Line: "Even among the masses populating West Palm Beach, Florida, Nolan Garrett found hundreds of places to be alone."

After 5-star-ing every book in Cindy Gerard's Black Ops series I was very excited to go back and read her Bodyguard series which I'd somehow missed before. However in saying that I think my love for her BOI's may have caused me to go into this with (unrealistically) high expectations because while this was good it also never quite hit the great mark that I'd been expectin
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, thriller, fiction
Romance aside, To the Edge was a fast-paced, gripping thriller that dives into the dark side of being rich and famous.
Eastofoz
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lady Heather
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller/suspense, contemp-romance
This book had it all!

The characters were well written, the story and plot intriguing and exciting. I never suspected who the villain was until the end (which was quite refreshing).

The story is about a news anchor (Jillian Kincaid) who has been receiving death threats. At first She doesn't take the threats seriously, until she starts getting the messages at home, in her private e-mails, and a gruesome delivery at a function she was attending.

Jillian's father (a multimillionaire..of course) hires
TJ
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was a mass of contradictions for me. The points I liked, I really, really liked and the points I didn't like, I hated (does that sound like a nursery rhyme?!?) First, points I like: I love the overall scenario of the book - a decorated military man who comes home and takes a job as a bodyguard and finds himself falling for the woman he is hired to protect. This opens all kinds of doors for the storyline about professional/personal relations, each one handled deftly in this story. I lov ...more
Mojca
After four sweet, "uncomplicated" contemporaries without a single dead body I needed something to get me back on track with my second-favorite genre. Judging from the reviews, I thought I found the perfect author and series to do the job. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

This book suffers severely from three major book illnesses - firstbookinaseriesitis, annoyingheroineitis and annoyinheroitis.
While the first one could be ignored, because I was intrigued by the "world-building" and the staff
Glamdring
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Review without spoilers*

I had this series on my TR list for at least 2 years. Bodyguards stories are not my cup of tea so I kept pushing it for later.

The only reason I put it there to begin with is because I heard that the heroes of the firsts books of the Black Ops series make an appearance in this series (What can I say, I’m OCD like that :/) otherwise I would just have given it a miss.

I'm glad I haven’t because I really enjoyed it.

There was nothing new with the stalker plot but:

1/ both No
Dee
Loved it!

First Cindy Gerard that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ms Gerard threw plenty of suspects in the story with various different red herrings which made it difficult to positively say who the stalker was which kept me reading all the way to the end as I wanted to know.

Nolan is a typical sexy Alpha male which I like. Jillian is a likeable strong woman and not a doormat and stood up to Nolan throughout the story. As it is a RS I am not giving away any spoilers in saying there is a H
Kathleen
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really like this story a lot so it's more like a 4 in 1/2 star for me. It would have been a 5 star if there would have been a few more love scenes, lol! The sexual tension was very good, the story was good too. I liked the back story of the H&H along with their characters very much. I liked that I did not figure out who was the bad person in this book until it was finally revealed in the book. All in all a great read.
Lynsey A
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lynsey A by: Norma
ETA: I have not read this 3 times!!! My Kindle marks this as read but it doesn't pick that up on the site. I've removed the extra "dates read" but it still shows three times. I am going to have to turn that feature off on my Kindle because it is as annoying as hell!!!

This was a nice romantic suspense that was heavy on the romance and just enough suspense. I will probably read more by this author. However, I still have to say I enjoy Pamela Clare's RS books more. :)

Quotes & Faves:

“I’m the m
Anna

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

To the Edge,is a book i picked after i read and totally loved Anne Stuart's Black Ice.I thought if romantic suspence is so good a genre then the first book in The Bodyguards series by Cindy Gerard might be just as good.But no!!!I couldn't be more mistaken!

First of all,i must say that this book was more of a romance novel than anything else.Granted it falls under the category of romantic suspence but i finished reading this book,
Arch
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Arch by: Book that enjoys reading suspense romance books
I have finally finished this book today (10-29-09). I have been reading it for a while, because I was in between books and plus writing.

The heroine is Jilian Kincaid, a rich woman, who believes in working and she loves her job. She's a successful journalist and TV anchorwoman.

Someone is stalking Jilian. The death threats has caused her daddy to hire a bodyguard for her. His name is Nolan Garrett - a special ops - at least ex-special ops, who's still good at his job.

Of course, because Jilian's
Ladiibbug
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
#1 Bodyguards series - Romantic Suspense

Pretty good, kept me guessing about who was behind the death threats against Jillian, a news anchor in Florida, until the author chose to reveal it.

Features Nolan Garrett, recently discharged Special Ops hunk, fighting post-war demons and nightmares, one of 3 brothers and one twin sister who operate EDEN Security.

CG overdoes it with Jillian's accomplishments, one of my pet peeves in a book. Jillian is the DD of a gazillionaire, powerful businessma
Fani *loves angst*
Pros:
1. Nice writing style. Witty dialogues and funny lines that had me laughing out in public many times
2. Lots of sexual tension
3. Yummy & tormented hero, a former army officer

Cons:
1. No in-depth character development
2. Lots of lust but little romance or love IMHO. The hero was too closed up to allow for any real emotional attachment between them.
3. Slow beginning. Little to none action during the first half
and
4. The most perfect heroine I've ever read about: she's a former Olympic cham
Carisa
I love bodyguards-theme romances and in this one the H/h have great chemistry. Their interaction was witty, with a lot of sexual tension -which was not rushed-, a very good stalker plot and -thankfully- no TSTL moments. Loved the writing style of this author and hope next book in this series turns out as good as this one.
HERO is a Warrior, burdened with guilt and regrets from his military past. He's assigned as bodyguard to a rich woman who's being stalked and hates bodyguards.
SCENES/CONTENT: fe
Big Joe Rossi
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jillian Kincaid is a smoking hot, redhead, TV anchorwoman. She has gotten death threats at work, a phone call at home. An email at work. Pissed at her controlling father who wants her to have protection, she rebukes his offer. One night she is home and gets eery vibes and is startled to find a man in her bedroom when she comes out of the shower. It gets eerier when she learns he is trying to make a point about her needing protection, a message he made at her father's request. She accepts, reluct ...more
Danielle Gypsy Soul
This is actually my second time reading this book and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. I will say that I thought the romance was a bit stronger than the suspense. I wanted a bit more in the stalker story line. The author also doesn't really give many clues to the identity of the villain and throws a few red herrings in. In fact, I was completely wrong about who the stalker actually was which doesn't happen often. The action of the story doesn't really take place until the later half of ...more
Mimi Smith
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it

I'm not sure if my reaction is due to the book itself(since I remember reading it before and liking it more), or to my head not being in the right place for reading it. I've just finished Between Shades of Gray, which is an extremely emotional, well-written book, so all my issues might be overblown.

First of all-I hate the cheesy phrases that appear in this book from time to time. And the situation when Jillian looks into Nolan's eyes and all of the sudden doesn't hate him, because she s
Gina
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
My first Cindy Gerard and it will not be my last, I really enjoyed this book!

Nolan is 3 months out of the army and doing nothing, but hanging out and getting drunk, trying to drown out his guilty feelings about not being there for his buddies. He is closed up and dead inside and nothing and no one can reach him, until his family decides to draft him into helping them out with their security business. Jillian is a reporter and he very rich father hires a bodyguard to protect her. Jillian doesn't
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
21st century professional and accomplished women are not supposed to want to be rescued by the proverbial "Knight in Shining Armour" be it in this case the ultra-hot ex-ranger bodyguard. WRONG. In a fairly typical romantic suspense scenario Jillian Kincaid daughter of a rich and successful businessman is threatened by a stalker. Enter one Nolan Kincaid, roped into a job in the family surveilliance and bodyguard business (E.D.E.N.) he doesn't want, hiding his own secrets about the personal cost o ...more
Quynh
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
2 - 2.5 stars.

I might be in the minority for this, but I didn't really connect to the book nor the characters all that much. I like my RS books with some intensity in build up and development but it fell rather flat here.

Jillian Kincaid has been receiving death threats at home and at work. She doesn't think she needs a bodyguard. To see that she's protected, her father hires E.D.E.N. Security to keep her safe. Nolan Garrett is tasked with the duty, and to show how vulnerable she is, he breaks in
Hbeebti
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nolan and Jillian were a great couple. Throughout most of the book Nolan was a complete ass. He was just so rude and arrogant. Jillian has a stalker and Nolan is hired to be her bodyguard by her daddy. Lets just say that I was seriously suprised by who it was. I was so wrong with my guess. The sexual chemistry was hot. These two took their time to finally get together. And when they did it was really hot. I found myself enjoying Jillian. She was independent and tough. But she was scared too and ...more
Riverina Romantics
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-blog
4.5 Stars

This was my first Cindy Gerard read and I was not disappointed.

The scene where the hero and heroine meet was fantastic - loved it to bits and enjoyed placing myself in Jillian's position wondering how the hell I would react to the wet your pants scary situation.

Nolan (although I disliked his name) was sexy and macho as hell. Give me a deck chair and I could sit watching that hunky piece of man flesh do push ups ALL DAY LONG.

I loved the he was a smart ass, that he fell for Jillian but
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher, #1)
  • Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Rescue Me (Last Chance Rescue, #1)
  • Hard to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #1)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • Defender (Dark Ops, #1)
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
The only thing Cindy had in mind when she started writing her first book was finishing it. The issue of actually selling it came much later. Only after she made that life-altering first sale did she realize that one book would never be enough. Now, over 20 books and numerous awards later, Cindy laughingly admits that she can barely remember life before...well, was there life before writing?

Actuall

The Bodyguards (6 books)
  • To the Limit (The Bodyguards, #2)
  • To the Brink (The Bodyguards, #3)
  • Over the Line (The Bodyguards, #4)
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Into the Dark (The Bodyguards, #6)
“Men. <...> They're idiots. It's like they all take a vow of stupidity or something.” 79 likes
“Go to bed," he ordered. "Go to bed... and stay there.” 20 likes