Start by marking “Cross Checked (Shots on Goal, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cross Checked (Shots on Goal, #2)

Cross Checked

(Shots on Goal #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
One accident - a freaking car crash. That’s all it took to send my life into a tailspin.
Little did I know that out of the wreckage, everything would fall into place. I would get everything I had ever worked for.
Little did I know that I would find the woman who would cross check my life, flipping everything upside down.
Even though she's melting the ice that surrounds my
Published February 23rd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Cross Checked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Checked

Natalie The Biblioholic
It's live & on Blog Tour!

After reading the Huntress series, which was more of a darker read, I was more than a little excited to try something contemporary from Kristen Hope Mazzola. Then I read her note at the beginning of the book and I was hooked. I love when authors give us some insight into who they really are!

This author has a unique style of writing that immediately grabs my attention, with entertaining plots and interesting characters. I enjoyed getting to know Brayden and Karla but
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review:

Cross Checked by Kristen Hope Mazzola was an entertaining story; I liked the characters and the story was fairly compelling, but it was also disjointed. Unusual circumstances puts two people into each other’s lives, but it is years later when they are reconnected strictly by coincidence and begin their journey to happiness.

Professional hockey star Brayden’s life is turned more upside down when a car accident kills his mother and leaves his sister in the hospital and her career as
Kate's Corner
2.5 Stars

First of all I'm going to be a bit bitchy. But I never said that I'm a nice person. I just keep it in check most of the time.

At the end of the book the author wrote:
It is better to leave a negative review than no review at all. For all you trolls out there this is what the author wants.

Told in dual POV. Which is one of my favorites. It apparently is on the same time line as Hat Trick and can be read as a standalone.

Karla & Braydon first meet when his sister Myla is in ICU. There is
Laura Hampton~iScream Books~
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, hockey
This is the second book by Mazzola that I have had the opportunity to read and I am so glad I took the time to do so. With so many authors out there to read and follow these days, it's nice to find a new one that I enjoy so much. All though this is the second book in the series, they can all be read as standalone's.

We first met Brayden and Karla in Hat Trick and I was so glad to see that they would be getting their own book. Cross Checked is a quick, fast paced read. And although I did enjoy it
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ I like

I am not sure what happened and I am really sorry about it but I could not connect to the characters of Cross Checked by Kristen Hope Mazzola.

It was supposed to be a standalone novel but from the first moment on I felt thrown into a story where pieces were missing for me. So I was running after details from the beginning on and I

… Never managed to get up to date.

…Never managed to connect to the characters because there was too much that seemed to be missing

After I finished I checked the details
Erin Lewis
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a particularly long read, but enjoyable none the less. We first met Brayden and Karla in Hat Trick and this is their story. Karla was the ICU nurse charged with taking care of Brayden's sister Myla after her horrific accident.

Brayden plays hockey and as is often the case, he plays hard both professionally and personally. He is grateful for the care that Karla took with his sister.

Fast forward a couple of years and Brayden and Karla meet again by chance, their attraction to each other simme
JoAnna G
This is the second book in this series but can be read as a standalone. This is Karla and Brayden's book. Brayden is Myla’s brother. I wanted to read this book because I love a family man and hockey. I got both but felt it was missing something.

This is was short quick read. The pace is fast and there is a drastic time jump.To me, this is two stories in one. You get Karla and her life, then you get Brayden and his life separately, then when they meet again.

Brayden loves hockey and his family. Hoc
Jan
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
2nd book in the series to shots on Goal

Cross checked stated that it is the 2nd book in the series and can be read as a standalone. That being said it didn't feel that way, I felt there were parts missing, no details of the crash that supposedly changed Brayden's life and the story jumped from a then when kayla was the nurse in the hospital caring for his sister to now, so I am presuming that the then part was in the first book, I didn't have the right flow for me to enjoy it.

I haven't read the
Chasidy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brayden has suffered a lot of loss in his life. His dad in prison and recently he lost his mom in a car accident and his sister is severly injured in ICU. He is doing his best to juggle his hockey career and take care of his sister. Thankfully, one of the nurses at the hospital keeps him up to date on her condition while he is away.

Karla is the ICU nurse helping to take car of Myla. She loves her job and taking care of people. She recently has a horrible break up with her ex and is trying to get
Maddy's Reading
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, sport-romance
we met Brayden & Karla in Hat Trick and this book shows their journey. Both of them have had a difficult past, they have faced tragedy but have come out of it so much stronger. They are wonderful souls and their connection in instant. it takes them a couple of years to cross paths but then Brayden knows she is someone special.
I loved Karla's strength of character and how confident she is. I liked Braydoen's loyalty as well as his dominant side. we have Myla and Gavin as well as some other f
Diane Lynch
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, hockey-romance
Kristen Hope Mazzola’s CROSS CHECKED is a fantastic follow up to HAT TRICK. This was Brayden Cox' and Karla McAdams' story. After a horrible car accident, Brandon was left to raise his sister Myla, whose story was told in HAT TRICK, along with Brayden’s teammate, Gavin Hayes. Karla was Myla’s ICU nurse after the car accident. Both stories take place around the same timeframe. CROSS CHECKED is told from both Brayden and Karla’s point of view.

Mazzola does a great job with her character development
GypsyBelle
2nd in the series, but you don't need to feel as if you will be missing something. Cross Check and Hat Trick coincide with each other. It is a sweet , well written , romance with a very HOT male and a strong female. I enjoyed reading this and look forward to reading more from this author.

Reviewed by GypsyBelle
description
Chasing Away Reality
READ HAT TRICK FIRST! I can't imagine making it through this book without having read it. Overall, I enjoyed Brayden and Karla's story. It was nice reading about their journey after seeing pieces of it in Hat Trick. However, it all felt a little disconnected. I think it was easier for me to read knowing what happened in book 1. But it still left me wanting more. I felt like the author glanced over things and rushed through Brayden and Karla's journey to get to the end. I just really wanted more. ...more
S3OCAMY
Reading this book is a lot like taking a walk through your favorite park on a perfect spring day. It's light, crisp and easy. It doesn't break you or manipulate your mind. It's honest and refreshing, it's sweet and unassuming. It's not angst ridden or needlessly dramatic, but it still touches on heartbreak building a foundation to something beautiful.

"It was the best kiss of my life—simple, quick, perfect. It was a kiss that started the rest of our lives together, a kiss that made my life compl
Natshane
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

I received an ARC copy of Cross Checked in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the reviewing opportunity!

My second read from the author and you can consider me smitten.

I binge read on sports romance and while I've come across some really terrible ones, I can safely say that this series got me hooked.

After reading Hat Trick, I needed a Brayden's book so badly because I felt there were so many questions left unanswered, that was why I jumped at the chance to review Cross Chec
Cat
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
AN ENJOYABLE FAST PACED JAM PACKED READ,I NEVER READ THE FIRST INSTALLMENT OF THIS SERIES AND I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE BEFORE READING THIS ONE.
HAVING SAID THAT,I STILL FOUND THIS A VERY PLEASANT STORY TO READ AND I WILL PROBABLY READ THE 3RD BOOK TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.
Casey
Find this review and more at Ramblings From This Chick

Cross Checked is the second book in the Shots on Goal series and is the second book I have read from Kristen Hope Mazzola. I enjoyed the first in the series and I was really looking forward to Cross Checked. This is a standalone story, though I will admit that I had some troubles with it and I did read the first book. While I think that there are some readers that will enjoy this one and be fine reading it as a standalone, I would recommend r
2OCC Reviews
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: marie
Kristen Hope Mazzola is a new to me author. Cross Checked is the 2nd book in the series, Shots on Goal, even though the description doesn’t include this information. What the description says is “A Shots on Goal Standalone”. However, you would do well to read the first book, Hat Trick, before you read this one.

Brayden’s life has been tough. A Father that is in jail, a mother that is killed in a car accident that seriously injures his sister, Myla. He meets nurse Karla during Myla’s stay in ICU.

K
Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
3.5 STARS

This is the first book I read from this author and it is the 2nd in the series and can be read as a stand alone. I felt that was true since I had not read the first I did not feel like I was missing anything.

The story is told a little differently then what I am use too meaning that there was Karla's story and there was Brayden's story and then there was the story of the 2 of them. I don't have an issue with that it was just different. The only issue I had was I felt that things were rus
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
A Tragic But Beautiful Story!

Out of tragedy comes honesty,hope,and love! Brayden and Karla's first meeting could not have come at a worse time! under very tragic circumstances. Karla is one of the nurses caring for Brayden's sister after an accident. She keeps him updated on his sister's progress as requested and that's it! It isn't until later that things heat up between them.

What makes this story great is that it is very true to life! It is not a love at first sight, and that makes me love it
Kathryn Linke
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Cross Checked is the second title in this series, although each one can be read as a standalone, the majority of the story line runs concurrent to the first title.

Brayden and Karla both appeared in Hat Trick, and I was quite looking forward to reading their story.

It's a fast paced read, at times a little too fast in my opinion, as there were large gaps in the time frame that made the story a bit disjointed. I actually wanted more of the story of their relationship and more interactio
Kimme
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Cross checked

Character development was lacking. The time hops were too much and you lost the maturing of the characters. Too many gaps because of the time hops. Too many unanswered questions. I think I could have really liked these characters but I wasn't given the opportunity to get to know them. So much potential.
Lucy Mejia
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nurses are stronger than you think

Want to read about a strong nurse versus a romantic hockey player? You will find it all in this book. Love can heal the abused soul. Love can heal a shattered heart. Friends are created in ways you never thought possible . This book will renew your faith in love and trust
Char Sowers
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
"Cross Checked" is a book which runs concurrently with Kristen Hope Mazzola's novel "Hat Trick". This book follows Myla's brother Brayden and the young overnight ICU nurse, Karla. She was the nurse who comforted and reassured Brayden after the tragic car accident which killed his and Myla's mother. "Cross Checked" begins the morning before Myla and her mother's car accident. We see that Brayden is the kind of man who puts the feelings and well being of his family first. After the accident we see ...more
Nikkita
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely perfect!

Loved this story so much! Brayden fully deserved the happiness he finally got. I loved how Kristen Hope Mazzola interwove the two stories like she did. She took scenes from the first book, but described them from Brayden and Karlas viewpoint. It worked really well. Once again funny, steamy, and heart warming.
Meg K
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another win.

I can’t seem to stop devouring this series. Cross Checked is Karla and Brayden’s story and is absolutely fantastic. It is told from dual POV and begins when Karla and Brayden first meet on the night of Mylas accident.

I adored Brayden and am glad we got so much character growth with him. Karla is perfect for him.
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hunky hockey player

Love this book there's some pretty steamy Parts in it loves to read about Brayden finally falling and Kayla getting her hea she deserve it after all the heartache that she went through the series gets better with each book I highly recommend this series and author
Jennifer Alexander
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cross Checked is book #2 in the Shots on Goal Series. It can be read as a standalone, but if you read book 1 Hat Trick first, it will give you a better insight on things.

This book wasn't full of hockey and it wasn't full of sex and random banter. It was the perfect blend of it all. It was a fast paced read that you will enjoy from start to finish. 4.5 stars"
Sharon
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
***arc for an honest review***
What a great story about Brayden & Kayla, how they met, then came together, while the story is a stand alone you will benefit from reading Hat Trick first as more of the story is explained there with Bray's sister Myla. Regardless, I absolutely loved Brayden & Kayla's story and Kristen told it beautifully! 4 stars for this beauty!!
Mindy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I enjoyed getting to know the characters. It was a sweet and funny read.
Even though they main guy in the book is a hockey player there is no hockey in this book. When I see a guy in hockey gear and a hockey title book I expect sports romance and for me it lacked the sports part and was just a romance. The book also covered a lot of time threw out so I think for me it glossed over to much so I didn't ever get emotionally involved with the book.
It is a book 2 in a series and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bestselling author, Kristen Hope Mazzola, lives in the suburbs of Tampa soaking up the sunshine while watching hockey or football at beach bars. She writes contemporary romance ranging from steamy romantic comedy, angsty new adult, all the way to sports romance – with dirty bikers, hot military men, and swoon-worthy rockstars in between. A portion of her royalties goes to the Marcie Mazzola Founda ...more

Shots on Goal (6 books)
  • Hat Trick
  • Cherry Picked
  • Low Blow
  • Playoff Beard
  • Off Duty (Shots on Goal, #6)