Start by marking “Cross Checked (Shots On Goal #2)” as Want to Read:
Cross Checked (Shots On Goal #2)

Cross Checked (Shots On Goal #2)

One accident - a freaking car crash. That’s all it took to send my life into a tailspin.
Little did I know that out of the wreckage, everything would fall into place. I would get everything I had ever worked for.
Little did I know that I would find the woman who would cross check my life, flipping everything upside down.
Even though she's melting the ice that surrounds my
Published February 23rd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Cross Checked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Checked

Natalie The Biblioholic
It's live & on Blog Tour!

After reading the Huntress series, which was more of a darker read, I was more than a little excited to try something contemporary from Kristen Hope Mazzola. Then I read her note at the beginning of the book and I was hooked. I love when authors give us some insight into who they really are!

This author has a unique style of writing that immediately grabs my attention, with entertaining plots and interesting characters. I enjoyed getting to know Brayden and Karla but
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review:

Cross Checked by Kristen Hope Mazzola was an entertaining story; I liked the characters and the story was fairly compelling, but it was also disjointed. Unusual circumstances puts two people into each other’s lives, but it is years later when they are reconnected strictly by coincidence and begin their journey to happiness.

Professional hockey star Brayden’s life is turned more upside down when a car accident kills his mother and leaves his sister in the hospital and her career as
Kate Phoenix
2.5 Stars

First of all I'm going to be a bit bitchy. But I never said that I'm a nice person. I just keep it in check most of the time.

At the end of the book the author wrote:
It is better to leave a negative review than no review at all. For all you trolls out there this is what the author wants.

Told in dual POV. Which is one of my favorites. It apparently is on the same time line as Hat Trick and can be read as a standalone.

Karla & Braydon first meet when his sister Myla is in ICU. There is
Laura Hampton~iScream Books~
This is the second book by Mazzola that I have had the opportunity to read and I am so glad I took the time to do so. With so many authors out there to read and follow these days, it's nice to find a new one that I enjoy so much. All though this is the second book in the series, they can all be read as standalone's.

We first met Brayden and Karla in Hat Trick and I was so glad to see that they would be getting their own book. Cross Checked is a quick, fast paced read. And although I did enjoy it
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡

I am not sure what happened and I am really sorry about it but I could not connect to the characters of Cross Checked by Kristen Hope Mazzola.

It was supposed to be a standalone novel but from the first moment on I felt thrown into a story where pieces were missing for me. So I was running after details from the beginning on and I

… Never managed to get up to date.

…Never managed to connect to the characters because there was too much that seemed to be missing

After I finished I checked the details
Erin Lewis
Feb 06, 2017 Erin Lewis rated it really liked it
Not a particularly long read, but enjoyable none the less. We first met Brayden and Karla in Hat Trick and this is their story. Karla was the ICU nurse charged with taking care of Brayden's sister Myla after her horrific accident.

Brayden plays hockey and as is often the case, he plays hard both professionally and personally. He is grateful for the care that Karla took with his sister.

Fast forward a couple of years and Brayden and Karla meet again by chance, their attraction to each other simme
JoAnna G
This is the second book in this series but can be read as a standalone. This is Karla and Brayden's book. Brayden is Myla’s brother. I wanted to read this book because I love a family man and hockey. I got both but felt it was missing something.

This is was short quick read. The pace is fast and there is a drastic time jump.To me, this is two stories in one. You get Karla and her life, then you get Brayden and his life separately, then when they meet again.

Brayden loves hockey and his family. Hoc
S3OCAMY
Reading this book is a lot like taking a walk through your favorite park on a perfect spring day. It's light, crisp and easy. It doesn't break you or manipulate your mind. It's honest and refreshing, it's sweet and unassuming. It's not angst ridden or needlessly dramatic, but it still touches on heartbreak building a foundation to something beautiful.

"It was the best kiss of my life—simple, quick, perfect. It was a kiss that started the rest of our lives together, a kiss that made my life compl
Natshane
Feb 23, 2017 Natshane rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

I received an ARC copy of Cross Checked in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the reviewing opportunity!

My second read from the author and you can consider me smitten.

I binge read on sports romance and while I've come across some really terrible ones, I can safely say that this series got me hooked.

After reading Hat Trick, I needed a Brayden's book so badly because I felt there were so many questions left unanswered, that was why I jumped at the chance to review Cross Chec
Diane Lynch
Feb 26, 2017 Diane Lynch rated it really liked it
Shelves: hockey-romance, ebook
Kristen Hope Mazzola’s CROSS CHECKED is a fantastic follow up to HAT TRICK. This was Brayden Cox' and Karla McAdams' story. After a horrible car accident, Brandon was left to raise his sister Myla, whose story was told in HAT TRICK, along with Brayden’s teammate, Gavin Hayes. Karla was Myla’s ICU nurse after the car accident. Both stories take place around the same timeframe. CROSS CHECKED is told from both Brayden and Karla’s point of view.

Mazzola does a great job with her character development
Jan
Feb 18, 2017 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves: series
2nd book in the series to shots on Goal

Cross checked stated that it is the 2nd book in the series and can be read as a standalone. That being said it didn't feel that way, I felt there were parts missing, no details of the crash that supposedly changed Brayden's life and the story jumped from a then when kayla was the nurse in the hospital caring for his sister to now, so I am presuming that the then part was in the first book, I didn't have the right flow for me to enjoy it.

I haven't read the
Chasidy
Feb 23, 2017 Chasidy rated it really liked it
Brayden has suffered a lot of loss in his life. His dad in prison and recently he lost his mom in a car accident and his sister is severly injured in ICU. He is doing his best to juggle his hockey career and take care of his sister. Thankfully, one of the nurses at the hospital keeps him up to date on her condition while he is away.

Karla is the ICU nurse helping to take car of Myla. She loves her job and taking care of people. She recently has a horrible break up with her ex and is trying to get
Maddy's Reading
Feb 21, 2017 Maddy's Reading rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport-romance, arcs
we met Brayden & Karla in Hat Trick and this book shows their journey. Both of them have had a difficult past, they have faced tragedy but have come out of it so much stronger. They are wonderful souls and their connection in instant. it takes them a couple of years to cross paths but then Brayden knows she is someone special.
I loved Karla's strength of character and how confident she is. I liked Braydoen's loyalty as well as his dominant side. we have Myla and Gavin as well as some other f
GypsyBelle
2nd in the series, but you don't need to feel as if you will be missing something. Cross Check and Hat Trick coincide with each other. It is a sweet , well written , romance with a very HOT male and a strong female. I enjoyed reading this and look forward to reading more from this author.

Reviewed by GypsyBelle
description
Chasing Away Reality
READ HAT TRICK FIRST! I can't imagine making it through this book without having read it. Overall, I enjoyed Brayden and Karla's story. It was nice reading about their journey after seeing pieces of it in Hat Trick. However, it all felt a little disconnected. I think it was easier for me to read knowing what happened in book 1. But it still left me wanting more. I felt like the author glanced over things and rushed through Brayden and Karla's journey to get to the end. I just really wanted more. ...more
Kathryn Linke
Feb 22, 2017 Kathryn Linke rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Cross Checked is the second title in this series, although each one can be read as a standalone, the majority of the story line runs concurrent to the first title.

Brayden and Karla both appeared in Hat Trick, and I was quite looking forward to reading their story.

It's a fast paced read, at times a little too fast in my opinion, as there were large gaps in the time frame that made the story a bit disjointed. I actually wanted more of the story of their relationship and more interactio
Char Sowers
Feb 28, 2017 Char Sowers rated it liked it
"Cross Checked" is a book which runs concurrently with Kristen Hope Mazzola's novel "Hat Trick". This book follows Myla's brother Brayden and the young overnight ICU nurse, Karla. She was the nurse who comforted and reassured Brayden after the tragic car accident which killed his and Myla's mother. "Cross Checked" begins the morning before Myla and her mother's car accident. We see that Brayden is the kind of man who puts the feelings and well being of his family first. After the accident we see ...more
Misty (Red's Romance Review's)
Feb 15, 2017 Misty (Red's Romance Review's) rated it really liked it
Brayden's world is knocked off it's axis when his family is involved in an tragic car accident, and his mother loses her life, and he is left to care for his young sister. His sister sustained injuries in the accident and he sits vigilantly by her side day and night waiting for her to heal, all the while trying to figure out a way to go on without their mother. Luckily for him a beautiful angel, a nurse at the hospital, comes into his life and lends her support, and helps keep him meander his wa ...more
Kristen Johnson
Feb 23, 2017 Kristen Johnson rated it really liked it
Cross Checked was a great addition to this series, delivering us the story of Karla and Brayden. Though we got a small peak that something was brewing between these two in Hat Trick, Cross checked brings us their whole story.

You know how they say everyone comes into our lives for a reason, that some moments define out lives more than others, well that's true in this love story. Karla and Brayden met in a random series of events, but something stood out between enough to remember each other when
Sharon
Feb 22, 2017 Sharon rated it it was ok
So, Cross Checked is book 2 in the shots on goal series and we are told that it can be read as a standalone. I have to disagree. I was lost for half the book…there was too much jumping between story lines that seemed to not link up. There is the crash…I guess….we actually are never told about “the crash” we go from Brayden telling Myla that she doesn’t have to go an visit their father in prison to him visiting her at the hospital. At the very end of the book there is the missing scene which is f ...more
Jen
Feb 23, 2017 Jen rated it liked it
I’m a huge hockey fan. I fell in love with the sport with the Mighty Ducks movies and then even more when I attended my first WHL game. So I’m always up for a hockey book even though I often complain that sports books are the bane of my reading existence. Cross Checked is the second in Mazzola’s series about the New York Otters. It can easily be read as a standalone. Now I had high hopes for this book but it ended up falling flat for me.

Now I do love the characters. Braden is caring, charming an
Aurora Hale (Whoo Gives A Hoot)
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *
16779996_424694524540054_281417525_n
I generously received an ARC from LWoodsPR and the author in exchange for an honest review...

Kristen Hope Mazzola has done it again! Cross Checked is another exceptional standalone novel in the Shots On Goal series! I throughly enjoyed this extraordinary book and can't wait to read the next standalone in the series. This is a relatively short and fast paced story (although you might not guess that by how long it took me to read thanks to my busy
Mary Gebhard
Feb 26, 2017 Mary Gebhard rated it it was amazing
Cross Checked is everything Kristen Hope Mazzola is: charming, sweet, and funny. It’s the perfect book to read by the pool or cuddled up in blankets with because it’s a light and fun read, just the book to take you out of reality.

description

Don’t get me wrong, this story is HOT, I think it might have the hottest stuff Kristen has ever written (and that’s saying something after The Huntress) but it’s all balanced. The tragedy, the humor, the sex, it’s all balanced in the light, happy, utterly unique Kriste
DreamsAndScrems Bookaholics
Mar 02, 2017 DreamsAndScrems Bookaholics rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Crystal's 5 star Review
If you’ve read Hat Trick (Book 1) then you have already met Brayden and Kayla. If you haven’t, then get off your butt and get to reading!! Brayden and Kayla meet under the most awful of situations, his mother and sister were in an accident resulting in the death of his mother and landing his sister in ICU. Kayla was the night ICU nurse who was on the night his sister was brought in, and was kind enough to text him to let him know his sister had an uneventful night.

A few m
The Book Fairy Reviews
Feb 22, 2017 The Book Fairy Reviews rated it it was amazing
Brayden, hockey player and brother to a sister that is the only survivor of a horrible accident. Losing his mother and having his father in prison are hard for him and to that the pressure of performing at peak for his team and a sister injured, yeah he is stressed beyond anything. He has no illusion or aspirations of getting married, he hasn't found one he wants to keep, that is until he meets Karla.
Karla, nurse and in a committed relationship, she fine with the way things are going in her life
2OCC Reviews
Feb 23, 2017 2OCC Reviews rated it liked it
Shelves: marie
Kristen Hope Mazzola is a new to me author. Cross Checked is the 2nd book in the series, Shots on Goal, even though the description doesn’t include this information. What the description says is “A Shots on Goal Standalone”. However, you would do well to read the first book, Hat Trick, before you read this one.

Brayden’s life has been tough. A Father that is in jail, a mother that is killed in a car accident that seriously injures his sister, Myla. He meets nurse Karla during Myla’s stay in ICU.

K
Michelle Brace (Wicked Babes Blog Reviews)
Two things drew me to this book. 1. A HOCKEY PLAYER (Yes please) and 2. a new to me author. I love finding new authors and reading their work. This book was the second in the series but at no time did I feel lost. It was a quick read and I think that there could've been some more added to them, especially during the time they were apart. I like to have more background into the couple then I felt that I got here. I still enjoyed this book but this was just something I noticed.

I am used to either
Julie
Feb 09, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing
This second book in the series tells us Brayden's story who is Myla's brother from book one.
Brayden has two loves in life, his family and hockey. Then his family are involved in a tragic accident and his world is turned up side down, but he'll never forget Karla the nurse who helped him through those first days and the care she gave Myla.
A couple of years later, Brayden and Karla meet up again and he asks her out and she agrees, she hasn't dated in a long time so they go slow, but then they heat
Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
Feb 20, 2017 Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
3.5 STARS

This is the first book I read from this author and it is the 2nd in the series and can be read as a stand alone. I felt that was true since I had not read the first I did not feel like I was missing anything.

The story is told a little differently then what I am use too meaning that there was Karla's story and there was Brayden's story and then there was the story of the 2 of them. I don't have an issue with that it was just different. The only issue I had was I felt that things were rus
Kimberly Anne ~ Reviews From The Heart
A Tragic But Beautiful Story!

Out of tragedy comes honesty,hope,and love! Brayden and Karla's first meeting could not have come at a worse time! under very tragic circumstances. Karla is one of the nurses caring for Brayden's sister after an accident. She keeps him updated on his sister's progress as requested and that's it! It isn't until later that things heat up between them.

What makes this story great is that it is very true to life! It is not a love at first sight, and that makes me love it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi! Thanks for dropping in...

You want to know more about me? Well, let's see...
I am just an average twenty-something following my dreams. I have a full time "day job" and by night I am an author. I guess you could say that writing is like my super power (I always wanted one of those). I am the lover of wine, sushi, football and the ocean; that is when I am not wrapped up in the literary world.
Ple
More about Kristen Hope Mazzola...

Shots On Goal (3 books)