Start by marking “Say My Name” as Want to Read:
Say My Name

Say My Name

Eve is a garden designer and antique buyer whose husband has left her after several miserable years of marriage. Her latest antique find is an old violin, beautiful but broken.

On meeting Micajah, 20 years younger than her, she feels a spark between them – a sexual spark she hasn't felt in a long time.

As their affair escalates, Micajah shows her how to embrace her sexuality
Published January 9th 2018 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Say My Name, please sign up.
Allegra I wanted to write the kind of novel that I would enjoy as a reader: a love story that feels both fantasy and reality, and that depicts a relationship…moreI wanted to write the kind of novel that I would enjoy as a reader: a love story that feels both fantasy and reality, and that depicts a relationship between an older woman and a younger man that is neither predatory nor weird. My romantic fantasy was always that I would be the inspiration for a great song, so that became the heart of the storyline.(less)

Zoe
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

Pensive, intriguing, and incredibly seductive!

Say My Name is an alluring novel that reminds us that women can be attractive, powerful, sexual beings at any age and highlights that you’re never too old to try new things, take risks, and discover what truly makes you happy.

The prose is delicate and raw. The characters are authentic, sensual, and unique. And the plot sweeps you away into an engaging saga about marriage, independence, age disparity, music, desire, lust, and happiness.

Over
Christina Kline
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sensual, breathless, and utterly absorbing.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Say My Name is the new release from Allegra Huston due for publication on 27th July by HQ Stories (a Harper Collins Imprint)

Described as ‘an unforgettable story of one woman’s journey to self-empowerment’, Say My Name tells the story of Eve Armanton, a middle-aged woman who is faced with some life-changing choices.

Eve Armanton is a 48-year-old woman stuck in a floundering marriage. Her son Allan is currently working with a medical charity in Cambodia, during a gap year from college as a med st
Kelly
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously erotic and breathtakingly romantic.
Marsha
While on the surface this is yet another tale of a woman freeing herself through adultery, the story of Eve’s dissatisfaction with her life has a lyrical rhythm all its own. Her love of plants and her burgeoning reawakening to the beauty of life around her are mixed up with a growing sense that she’s been asleep and that her dulling senses have been deliberate on her part. Her fiery, short-lived affair with a young musician in a band is only part of her realization that she’s settled for less th ...more
Roman Clodia
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
An old, old story, this is like Chopin's classic The Awakening but told in a dull and unengaging manner. 48 year old Eve meets 23 year old oddly-named Micajah and we're told sparks fly so that they're soon having sex at the top of a building... the problem is, there's no heat or spark between the characters or in the book overall and so the whole middle-aged-woman-wakened-to-her-sensuality-by-a-beautiful-young-man feels flat and completely unconvincing.

Huston tries to give it all some class by b
Lori Clark
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, romance
This is a book that has stayed with me long after I turned the last page. Very well-written and engaging. I was anxious for it to end to see how it would end, and yet, after I finished, I wanted more. I NEVER re-read books, but this one was so engrossing, the characters so beautifully written, that I wanted to dive back in and immerse myself in that world all over again.

It could have ended so many different ways, but in my opinion, it ended well. I hope one day to read more from these character
Wit & Wonder Books
*** ARC provided by the author for an honest review ***

How do you figure out the path that your life is supposed to be on when everything that you thought was right comes to an end? That is the question that Allegra Huston poses in Say My Name. A story about a woman who loses her husband, and finds herself through a temporary relationship with someone much younger.

Eve Armanton is 48 years old. She and her husband have a son who is taking a gap year from college. He is a medical student, so this
Jayne Catherine pinkett
I received a copy of this book in return for my independent honest review. I was drawn to this as it features a middle age woman whose marriage is over and who has lost her confidence and independence. A fling with a younger man soon follows with sexual content so be warned if this isn't for you. Not overly steamy though. The other main thread to this work features an old musical instrument which Eve finds in poor repair and needs major restoration. Unfortunately for me the two themes weren't co ...more
Patricia Moren
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a love story with a difference. Compelling characters and an absorbing storyline. I loved the freedom that was evidenced in the story and that not everything has to have a conclusion in order for it to be real.
robin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Allegra Huston single-handedly demolishes mainstream conceptions of appropriateness as concerns "women of a certain age". Her wonderful love story shreds stereotypes and celebrates being human! From the very first sentence, I was drawn into the plot. The characters felt alive and I became quite fond of the heroine. I read "Say My Name" in one sublime sitting. Page-turner. Highly recommend!
Ms. Kat
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a smart, original story that offers a candid portrayal of forbidden love, a failing marriage and a sensual awakening written from a female perspective, then look no further. Allegra Huston’s beautifully crafted debut novel is an intimate look into the mind and erotic world of a woman who pushes past self-imposed limitations towards her own personal freedom. Inspiring!
Rita Grantmiller
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Loved its passionate elegance for the kind of page-turner story of such personal and cultural unpredictability that's currently hardwired into our DNA. Reading it was like listening to a great Beethoven symphony, it hit every note perfectly transporting you into its riveting world.
Rita Grantmiller
Estelle
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STUNNING !!!
Michael Cayley
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
An uneven novel about a middle-aged New York woman, Eve, who is a garden designer and whose marriage breaks up unexpectedly. She discovers a badly damaged ornate stringed instrument several centuries old in an antique shop, and buys it. She meets an old friend with his son, Micajah, a talented and inventive pop musician with a passion for all sorts of exotic instruments, and almost instantly enters into a relationship with Micajah despite some qualms about his being much younger than her. He hel ...more
Karen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, erotic, love
Eve is walking down the street in NYC, wiping dust from her knees and her dress after rummaging through junk shops in the Bronx for her friends antique shop. She unexpectedly bumps into Robert, an old friend of her brother’s, walking with his handsome 28 year old son, Micajah - a talented musician. The pair invite her to lunch. While Robert and Eve reminisce, she is penetrated by the most beautiful green eyes she has every seen. This serene, beautiful boy is irrationally interested in learning m ...more
Jayne Burnett
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to Net Galley &HQ for an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.
Eve is trundling along in her marriage to Larry, they have separate rooms and don't share much anymore together. Eve still cooks washes and keeps up the pretence of their marriage. Larry goes on a business trip for a week and doesn't return.
Eve has been out hunting through jumble for items for her friends shop when she makes a rare find of an old beautiful but sadly damaged musical instruments, she bargains for it. F
Bridget
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I think what I most enjoyed about this book is that I've never read anything so salacious. Ever. I'd never recommend it to my book club. But it fueled my curiosity and I had no idea what some things were even talking about...and actually, now that I think about it, the ending is terrible. As much as this book is about female power, it was frustrating that at the end whether she wants it or not, Makajah leaves her with a boatload of money. So tall dark and handsome strikes again. This entire nove ...more
Barbara
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eve is a middle aged woman stuck in a passionless, unloving marriage. Life just goes on for her day by day and she has no real desire to change anything, just acceptance and aloneness. One day she bumps into an old friend and his 28-year-old son who starts to flirt with her. Surprisingly, she finds herself responding to Micajah in ways she never dreamed possible, until one day she sees him in a very different light which makes her rethink what she is doing.

This book is so different from anything
Brenda
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eve
Micajah

Eve settled for marriage out of fear years before, then she meets Micajah when she runs into an old friend. Micajah is 28 years her junior. Through this meeting with Micajah Eve begins to discover her own independence and strengths. This book moved along pulling you into Eve’s discoveries of herself. Eve goes through many stages before she comes to her final place of acceptance of her new Eve. This book made you think about the things and ways Eve went about her evolution and what thi
Donna
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet, touching, nibble of a complicated love story. Eve is 47 and frozen in a loveless marriage. Micajah is 28, single and gorgeous. What do they have in common? Strap yourself in for this emotional roller coaster of a story. If you can make a list of every emotion you can think of, you'll find them in this story. I appreciated Eve's approach to their relationship and her emotional growth by the end of the story. Contemporary romance, women's fiction, or literary romance in a laid-back plot t ...more
Susannah
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Jane
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second older woman/younger man book that I've read within two weeks. This one had a more hopeful ending, unlike "My Kind of You," and it was more lyrically written.

Both books featured young men rock stars, although in this book, the older woman was more "common" as opposed to the woman in "My Kind of You," who had money & a high-end profession.

I questioned why several scenes in "Say My Name" were relevant. Perhaps it was the author's intention to include them so that she could ge
Anne Wolfe
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting, but uneven overall. Eve, in her late 40s, is an enigma even to herself. How is it possible to be unhappily married to a closed-off man and not realize it? Hard to explain. Her husband fails to return from a business trip. Eve goes to New York, meets an old friend of her late brother's and his very attractive son. She buys an antique instrument, badly damaged, that fascinates her. Then ? Hot love affair, renewed sensuousness, with the young man.

Erotic episodes? Not so much.
Artemis Cooper
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How exhilarating to read a novel about a woman who refuses to go into emotional orbit around her younger lover! I was rooting for her all the way. Eve is close to fifty and estranged from her husband when she meets Micajah, a brilliant young musician. They both know their intensely erotic affair won’t last, but Micajah has released a sexual and creative energy in Eve which won’t go back in its box. Does she really need another man, or can she fully engage with life on her own? This is beautiful, ...more
Tina
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: won
I rated this book a three because I didn't feel it was fair of me to rate it on either end of the spectrum as it is outside of my normal reading genre. The book reads smoothly and the author does well in keeping the reader intrigued. The great thing about goodreads giveaways is it allows us to win books we wouldn't normally give a second thought to. I will probably search out this author again, and possibly change my rating of this book upon reading others from Allegra Huston.

Do not let my comme
Samantha
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This is a Goodreads Giveaway - 3.5 stars. For this type of book that I don't normally read - this was entertaining. The book was an uncorrected proof. I didn't notice any typos or errors whilst I was reading it. What I liked: It was relatively fast-paced and I liked the characters of Eve and Micajah for the most part. I also thought the ending was good and well-written. What I didn't like: The characters of Yann and Barbara seemed forced and slightly pretentious. The whole section with Bethany s ...more
Forest Collins
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm... story of a middle aged woman having a fling or maybe relationship with a twenty something. This is a very easy read for beach or airport fluff. It’s not super well written or a deep story. At times it feels like a version of Are You There God It’s Me Margaret for the premenopausal woman looking to rediscover themselves. All that said, I did have fun sticking in through the story because sometimes a little brain candy is easy.

Anne
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: love-story
I have never come across Allegra Huston before and initially I was exceedingly glad to find a book with an older lady getting a bit of the action especially in such a steamy manner. My joy soon turned to ennui however as I didn't find the characters at all engaging and having to continually remind myself how I should pronounce the young lover's name was extremely tedious, if the author had just changed that I feel the book might have been more acceptable.
Diana Spiers
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had to write to say how massively enjoyed this second book by Allegra Huston. I purchased it a couple of days ago, and did not put it down until I had completed it. I am an avid reader and have not enjoyed a book as much in years. I particularly devoured the vivid descriptions of the time Eve spent in Venice . Allegra obviously knows it intimately.
I cannot wait for her next publication.

• Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Miracle Girls, #2)
  • This is Just Exactly Like You
  • Palladio
  • If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails: And Other Lessons I Learned from My Mom
  • Bone Fire
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • Maybe a Miracle
  • Reprieve
  • Yours Forevermore, Darcy
  • Pull (Push, #2)
  • The Bitch Is Back: Older, Wiser, and (Getting) Happier
  • Tea and Primroses (Legley Bay, #2)
  • Greetings from Somewhere Else