Start by marking “What's in a Name?” as Want to Read:
What's in a Name?

What's in a Name?

There are names that have been passed down through thousands of years which have powerful and deep-rooted meaning to their bearers. Other names have been adopted from other languages, cultures and from the big screen. They all have one thing in common. They are with us from birth until the grave and they are how we are known to everyone that we meet.

There are classical na
Published February 2nd 2017 by Moyhill Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What's in a Name?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's in a Name?

James
There are many topics that will draw my attention to a book. In Sally Cronin's collection 'What's in a name?' I found a whole bunch that piqued my curiosity: short stories, genealogy, and how first names are chosen. On top of that, it's the first volume in this series, which means I have another to read soon. Now this made my weekend!

Cronin shares ~20 short stories covering the letters A through J in volume one. She lists a male and a female name for each letter, then contributes a story ranging
Paul Andruss
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always feel sad reaching the end of a Sally Cronin book.

It is not simply because it feels a chapter of my life has closed.

Nor because I will no longer be dragged along, a willing, nay eager, voyeur into the lives of people I have just met, but feel I have known for years. People who I am convinced will go on to live happy lives off the page, but who I will never see again; although I will think of them often.

Neither is it because I have not laughed hard enough or had my eyes mist over more tha
Paul Andruss
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always feel sad reaching the end of a Sally Cronin book.

It is not simply because it feels a chapter of my life has closed.

Robbie Cheadle
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s in a name? is a collection of short stories, each about a different person with a name starting with a specific letter of the alphabet. This first book of two covers the letters A to J with each letter having two stories, one about a male character and one about a female character. The stories are all different and unique and Sally writes in the most beautiful and fluid manner so that you feel completely absorbed by the specific character and the life situation they are dealing with. I re ...more
Colleen M. Chesebro
I love short story collections. There is something about the brevity of words that appeals to my senses, especially when there is a theme that we all can relate to. Think about it. We all have a name, but many of us have no idea why our parents chose that name or the possible stories behind that name.

Sally Cronin tackles this naming issue. In "What's in a Name," each chapter is titled by the name of its main character, leading the reader on a journey of discovery. Every name has a tale to tell,
Natalie Ducey
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s in a Name by Sally Cronin is an absolute gem of a book. Cronin is a gifted storyteller, and readers are sure to be moved and intrigued by this collection that was inspired by real-life occurrences. These are stories that will move you and stay with you long after you finish. I read through this collection in one day and have revisited it many times since. A book so enticing is a true testament to the skill of an author. To keep a book near, allowing one to relish in the many emotions it i ...more
Victoria Zigler
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm fascinated by the meanings of names, as well as the concious and subconcious associations we atatch to them, so I love the whole idea behind this book. I liked some of the stories more than others, but they were an enjoyable collection of stories in general, and all well-written.

*NOTE: I was given a free copy of this book by the author. This has in no way influenced my opinion of the book, nor the contents of my review.
Pamela
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was enthralled as soon as I began the first story in Cronin's short story collection. The author has a way of writing that invites you in with a cozy cup of tea and a biscuit, and then she weaves her tales about each person so succinctly, yet so elaborately at the same time, that by the end of the story, you don’t want to let go of that name. Of that character. Clever idea – to write a story for a person with a name. Think about it – what’s in YOUR name?
Linda Bethea
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gobbled Up My Sunday

I rushed to buy this as soon as I saw it was released. I have read and loved Sally's books before and this one did not disappoint. Read it through in one sitting. I loved the crooks and twists. The characterizations are wonderful. Do yourself a favor and grab this one, but I doubt you'll get much done once you start!
Deborah Bowman
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Deborah by: Debby Gies aka D.G. Kaye, author
Little slices of history (x2 generations approximately), but it's so hard not to give spoilers when these anecdotes, family stories, and clips of emotion make you cry tears of happiness and sadness, literally only pages apart.

What's in a name? Everything ... your identity, your life, your dreams, desires, failures and triumphs. It's all that you are or could have been. It's inspirational, deep in meaning, and relates to every heart, life, and soul.

I took notes in the book, meaning to share, but
Balroop Singh
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘What’s In A Name’ by Sally Cronin is a collection of twenty short stories, each story inspired from real life and emotions that every individual has to live through. Whether it is the bond between a mother and a daughter or the faith that kept Celia away from her sister for twenty years to tread the path she had chosen for herself, to honor the name of her grandmother, Sally’s characters seem realistic and warmhearted. Diana’s pain would percolate deep down into every nerve and sinew of readers ...more
Cathleen Townsend
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What’s in a name? Everything. As someone who has gone through the entire official argy-bargy to get my name legally changed, I appreciate the power behind the monikers we bear. Sally Cronin obviously shares this sensibility because this short story collection focuses on the unique power our names have to shape our lives.

Sometimes even a small change can be significant, as the first story, titled “Anne,” demonstrates so well. Just a small shift–to Annie–had great meaning to the woman who bore it.
D.G. Kaye
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sally Cronin has an uncanny knack for pulling in her readers with her heartfelt short stories and often unpredictable endings.

Each one of these stories takes us in to some history of the characters and how their names were derived, and consequently, how their names affected or complemented their lives.

Names have meanings for the people who have chosen them, but sometimes, the people given those names aren't always happy with their name.

I highly recommend this wonderful book of sensitive and intr
Janice Spina
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Delightful and Eclectic Collection!

What's in a Name is a lovely collection of short stories, the names of each of the stories are men or women's names. The protagonists of these stories are dealing with problems in love, death, loss, or some type of struggle in life.

The author is a consummate storyteller and knows how to weave a fascinating tale. The stories were touching and thought provoking. Each story held me spellbound and finished with a twist. A thoroughly enjoyable read that I highly r
Jacquie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve long been a fan of Sally Cronin’s wonderful blog, Smorgasbord, and was excited to read her books. What’s in A Name, much like the author, is filled with stories to inspire, make us think, and for me, shows the fundamental strength and support of family.

Each story in this anthology stands on its own merits. Some are sweet, others sad, and some, like Clive, deeply touched my heart.

Life can take many twists and turns, no matter where you live, but we all share a common thread- Love.

I give What
Marina Osipova
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The stories that can stop your heart in its tracks. I cannot say which of them are my favorites – all touched me deeply. I am greatly thankful to the author for the emotions her characters’ stories evoke, and they will stay with me for a long, long time.
Ritu Bhathal
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories covering 20 people and their lives. In a short story Sally conveys such emotion that you don't want each story to end. I look forward to part two!
Allan Hudson
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific collection of short stories. Sally is a talented story teller and I'm glad I read this novel. If you like short, entertaining stories, get this book.
Michelle
Tina
Oct 03, 2017
أفراح
Mar 15, 2019
I have been a storyteller most of my life (my mother called them fibs!). Poetry, song lyrics and short stories were left behind when work and life intruded, but that all changed in 1996.

My first book Size Matters was a health and weight loss book based on my own experiences of losing 70kilo. I have written another ten books since then on health and also fiction including three collections of shor