Start by marking “Psynode” as Want to Read:
Psynode

Psynode

(Orphancorp #2)

Having barely made it out of Orphancorp alive, Mirii is on a mission to find the most important babe in her life, Vu. Vu has been taken to ‘Psynode’, a secret facility operated by the megacorp Allnode.

After wrangling her way into the Allnode warehouse as a picker, Mirii meets Rowe, the daughter of one of Allnode’s execs, who may just be the perfect person to help her with
Published May 2017 by Seizure

To ask other readers questions about Psynode, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psynode

Start your review of Psynode
Calzean
Mirri is one angry, determined woman. Mirri is trying to find and free her friend Vu but finds herself a victim. The world she lives in is ruled by consumerism and big business gone mad. The hoi polloi are treated as disposable commodities and in the extreme as vassals for one weird computer network.
The book is fast paced, tech savvy, short but not so sweet. The author is keeping her readers on tenterhooks.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, australia, dystopia
Sometimes a sequel reveals both the strengths and the flaws in the first work. For me that was the case with Psynode. The strengths of this series are the nuanced, conflicted characters, and the world building focused on oppressive capitalist systems. Unfortunately the plot suffered a little once the protagonist was outside the highly controlled world of Orphancorp, becoming a series of coincidences that felt less plausible in the more complex environment of the wider world.

Overall though I am s
Kiera
Psynode is the fantastic follow-up to Marlee Jane Ward’s successful debut Welcome to Orphancorp and is a fitting continuation and expansion of the world, themes and tone of the first. Mirii has left the Orphancorp but is desperate to find Vu, this leads her to scamming her way into a job at the capitalist endgame nightmare-world that is Allnode.

I found the story here a little less emotionally resonant than Orphancorp, but much bigger in terms of narrative and world. In some ways Psynode is more
Adam O'Grady
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, dark, YA cyberpunk with a bisexual protagonist disconnected from her culture and trying to make a living in a future that's just like our present but with all the bad stuff turned up a few notches.

I really enjoyed the down-to-Earth presentation of the characters and reactions, and the realism of a world where we keep sliding down this money-first, people-second path is horrifying and captivating.
Nancy
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Aurealis Awards Best YA Novel....short listed 2017

Rad babes and brus in a thrilling dystopia/YA novel.
I stayed up til stupid o'clock to finish it!
PS: how do you like my new 'Ya-lingo?'
Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks!

Review
Michael Earp
Can I have book 3 now? Please?
If you're in any way partial to dystopian YA or even just brilliant quality writing, then you have to read Welcome To Orpahncorp and then this. Just do it. No more wasting time. Get it done!
Jess
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yay, this was pretty much everything I was left wanting after the first book.
There are a few plot points at the end that were a bit convenient and clunky, but the wonderful characterization and voice overrides it.
Tahlia C
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another story from Marlee that I couldn't put down! Only thing that stopped me from devouring it in one sitting was my insistence to pace myself. The language, the energy, the way it feels like a dystopian future and our present time all at once.. wow.
Corey White
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, visceral follow-up to Welcome To Orphancorp, which expands in scope but loses none of the intensity. Psynode explores the hellish life of many workers in our late capitalist existence in a future world that could arrive as soon as next week. ...more
Alison Evans
[kicks down door] fucken!!!!! I love it!!!!!!
Janelle Dazzlepants
4.5 stars! This was everybody bit as gritty and voicey as the first novella, but with far more action and world-building.

I loved getting to explore this dystopian capitalist Sydney that exists outside the Orphancorp, and it gave me all my Blade Runner meets Mad Max and The Island jush.

It’s also just as wonderfully queer, inclusive, and sex positive as the first one 💜

Can’t wait to see how the final instalment turns out!
Dee
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great. Lacks quite the brutal emotional suckerpunch of the first one (because it's not kids-brutalising-each-other-in-the-system) as we get out into the wider world and look at some other ramifications of capitalism-gone-feral. It's more of an action thriller than a psychological twist, but it's still grounded in Mirii's casual, clever, Aussie-as narration, which remains an absolute delight.
Rick Brose
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent follow up to the first in the series. I love the voice that Psynode is written in. It feels exactly like I imagine the main character should be. It is genuine, weird, and all around wonderful.

I had a couple problems with events near the end, but nothing that kept me from enjoying what I read. This was a genuinely great experience.
Peta Tron
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit. Marlee did it again! What happens next to Mirii? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?????!!?!?!?!?
Amanda Baldwin
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, spec-fic
Brutal but brilliantly realised world with a unique and engaging voice. Loved it.
Lauren Mitchell
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Welcome to Orphancorp so much and when I discovered this sequel I was super excited and read it in one sitting and I would like the next eleventy books in this series/setting immediately now and thank you.

What I love about it is that the world that's been built, with its own details and quirks of language and everything, is so easy to get absorbed in. It's not like some spec fic worlds where one needs a glossary for unfamiliar words, because they're so easy to pick up from context.

I al
A
Mar 10, 2017
Emma
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic sequel to WTO - just like anyone who's read the two books I'm now dying for book 3. I just love the pace and voice of Marlee Jane Ward's writing - I feel completely wrapped up in the character of Mirii and so present in her world. Get on this!
Andrea Ashley-Brown

• The Other People
  • The Christmas Cafe at Seashell Cove
  • The Story of Son
  • Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You
  • Rites of Passage (Lady Chettamandey #1)
  • Dark Emu
  • Let the Right One In
  • Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Was Not
  • Spark (Spark, #1)
  • The Beauty of Murder
I’m a writer, reader and weirdo from Melbourne, Australia.
I grew up on the Central Coast of New South Wales and studied creative writing at the University of Wollongong. I attended the Clarion West Writers Workshop in 2014.

You can find my short stories at Interfictions, Terraform, Apex, The Sockdolager, Aurealis, Mad Scientist Journal, Slink Chunk Press, Feminartsy and the In Your Face, Hear Me Ro

Orphancorp (3 books)