Start by marking “Haunting Charlie (Witches of Palmetto Point #1)” as Want to Read:
Haunting Charlie (Witches of Palmetto Point #1)

Haunting Charlie

(Witches of Palmetto Point #1)

Ignoring the dead can get you killed...

All Charlie Payne wants is to lead a normal life and to be a good mom. But Charlie’s not exactly normal. She's from a long line of witches and she can see the dead.

Susan Tate has inherited a beautiful old southern mansion on the coast. Unfortunately, the property came with a million necessary repairs. And ghosts.

When Charlie meets

Published February 4th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Haunting Charlie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunting Charlie

Start your review of Haunting Charlie (Witches of Palmetto Point #1)
Lizzie Wann
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could be so much better

I enjoy witches and supernatural stories. This story has so much potential. The author chose to focus on one person primarily, Charlie, a psychic/medium who “sees dead people.” She is interesting, having gone through a divorce and agreeing that her ex gets primary custody of her son, struggling with her abilities. She is part of a family with other ‘special’ ladies. That’s one aspect I would have loved more of. Who are these women? A whole story about the Kitchen Witch
Cindy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect blend of paranormal and humor with a touch of scary.. The main character is Charlie Payne who can see and hear spirits along with being an empath. She comes from a family ones with gifts.. Charlie doesn't like to call herself a witch but her cousins who have big parts in the book have no problem calling themselves that. On the outside they all live normal everyday lives..

Charlie is a divorced mother of one who works at a call center. Her gift is the reason for her divorce. She has a big
TJ
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-prime
Good Read

Was a good interesting read for my first time reading, the characters were pretty interesting and with me being a fan of the supernatural came across this first book due to being a prime member. It's 3 more books in the series I'll be picking up eventually.
Nancy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was looking for some books to read for Halloween. This one was offered by kindle unlimited. I had a slow start, and then I got into the book, and couldn't put it down. I lost a lot of sleep over reading this book.
Gena Calta
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

I love ghost stories and this one did no disappoint! I have read a lot of ghost stories and have even lived some real ghost stories myself! This is my favorite series! I can't wait to read more!
TE
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Haunting Charlie is basically a ghost story. The heroes/main characters aren't overly fleshed out in this book (the villains not at all) but the glimpses we do get are interesting and they seem likeable. Still, it wasn't bad for the first book in a series (set-up). It tends more toward cozy than hard core and was an easy/fun read that held my interest. I really liked that the whole family worked together. Good read.

For those who want to know: For the most part, this is a clean read. I think the
Terralyn
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had so much potential. In all fairness, it was still a good story. One of the biggest issues is the introduction of so many characters, so quickly. It was too much too fast. It made the story take a back seat to unnecessary details. The author would have been better suited to stretch the introduction of characters out a bit.
I'm not a stickler for happy endings. Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't. This was unbelievable on a grand scale. Even for a work of fiction, it was just too
Wendy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I was having a hard time finding something to get into reading-wise, and I went with this, which was definitely a good choice.

I liked the character of Charlie—she is believable and easy to relate to. I think the fact she has a psychic ability that ended up breaking her marriage apart—because her husband didn’t believe her when she said she had psychic abilities—is something readers can relate to (and I apologize if this seems sexist, here, but I think most women can
🐥Erica Lundstrom🐥
Paul Alexander Fichera
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it. I liked knowing the little pain in the ass supervisor at Charle's call center got his comeuppance at the end. It was a ghost story, and could easily have been an episode of Jennifer Love Hewett's "Ghost Whisperer," or Patricia Arquette's "Medium. The plot of the story was in many ways similar to elements that were used in one of the other series (they both at this point, after so many years, have jumbled in my memory). An evil spirit was whispering in the ear of a troubled individual ...more
Alicia Utter
Rating: 7.5/10
Pages: 332

This was a teaser on Kindle and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. It is definitely the first book in a series, and I can see where the main characters--cousins with some powers--are getting set up. However, the main character, Charlie, is a psychic working at a shitty call center and trying to get more visitation with her son. All the characters were flawed and more human than you see in a lot of books.

The evil spirits she is fighting were a little more of a foil and
Jeci
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was not a terrible book at all, but I think that it would have definitely been better if it had been longer and more in- depth. It seemed that as soon as the story began to take off, it ended abruptly. I honestly liked the characters a lot, but did not get to know them as well as I would have liked to in the first installment of this series. Typically I wouldn't complain about a book being to short... I feel as though adding an extra hundred pages or so could have drawn me in better, ...more
Dawna Mae Wilson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don’t write reviews often, but felt I had to for this one.

First, if you’re a diaspora southerner originally from SC, NC, or GA, and you’re hankering for sounds of home, this is your jam. Ms Wang nails the conversational tells, right down to the sirs and ma’am’s. Great job!

The story is satisfying as well.

There are a few niggles that are personal sore spots. Characters pouring themselves over books like tea over ice, for instance. Pour/pore confusion drives me bonkers. If incidental
Jack Mion
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Haunting Charlie is a nice little ghost story but not one that will give me bad dreams or keep me awake at night. The story's lead character, Charlie, has been endowed with psychic abilities enabling her to communicate with ghosts which ultimately aid in her solving the mystery of several missing/murdered young girls. There wasn't a lot of suspense or creativity and for the most part, the plot was fairly predictable. Clearly, Haunting Charlie was no where close to, say, Stephen King, but it ...more
Cheri Schaefer
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great ghostly mystery series!

I decided to give this ghostly series a try and I'm really glad
I did. I enjoyed it immensely! This story was riveting and
extremely entertaining. Read it in one day because I just
couldn't put it down. Now I'm moving on to book #2. The
characters are amazing and the plot is intense. I definitely
recommend this for those readers who enjoy ghostly
mysteries and hope others who haven't tried this type of
mystery will also try it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Stephanie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous and worth every star

I rarely give five stars, and Haunting Charlie earned every one of them. The story is well developed and written using beautiful imagery. As an author myself, I want to write with this much detail. The characters are memorable and unique, and you'll walk away wanting them as friends. There is enough suspense and supernatural moments to keep you on the edge of your seat but not make you sleep with the lights on. All in all, the perfect mix for a book in this genre. I
Dhebhashree Sivakumar
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a fast-paced subtle horror series. Wang has done good job in narrating the story.

The only issue I had with the plot was i felt the story could have been well finished and more narrative. I always look for the reason why a ghost is a ghost and the evilness it does to people. The ghost or soul’s side of a story was lacking.

So I found the plot to have less informative about characters and some parts of the plot. Otherwise I loved the book.

I have already purchased the second book in
Vicki Ceara
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice story of creepy fun

Charlie would rather ignore her gifts than use them. But when her scheming cousin obligates Charlie into helping one of her hair clients, there’s no way she can back out. In the process of cleaning things up for the client, Charlie solves the mystery of girls going missing for several generations. She has a few dangerous adventures along the way,as well. The cast of characters are charming and I can’t wait to get to know them better in future books! A thoroughly
Lori Elliott
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very Fun READ

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. So much so I didn’t want it to end. There was humor, thrills, chills, a touch of romance and completely believable characters. The story and characters are so well written that you wished you were a part of the story. I hope there will be many more adventures...I want to know more about every character in this story. You will love this first book in the series. It isn’t heavy reading but your pulse will race with anticipation and fright and
Ashley
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a "fun read" & probably more suited for a young adult. It is the first book in a series, but this is the only book I will read. The ending was, in my opinion a messy array of loose threads.....the author did "wrap up the story" but I guess the "manager & his lewd behavior" spoiled the story for me.....prior to Charlie delivering the letter the book was ending quite "pleasently"......

I enjoyed the story.....but more of a lengthy ghost story.
Brenda
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this author!

Wow! That's what I would say about this book! The story grabbed me immediately because of Charlie but it didn't take long for me to realise there were several amazing characters in the plot. Speaking of plots there isn't ever a dull moment, with plenty of twists that included a few edge of the seat moments! I certainly plan on reading more from this author. Another great book provided by my Kindle Unlimited subscription.
Sherry Martin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good enough to read the next one

I only found a spot or two where I didn't quite get how that part fit into the rest of the story, but it became clear later on.
I found myself rooting for Charlie and was happy enough with how it ended.
I generally don't like a book that runs a whole series of books (more than 2 or 3) to get more of the whole story, but I would like to read more in THIS series.
Dawn Gee
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Insecure witch

Charlie sees dead people and if she touches someone she can see images. Charlie is insecure about herself because her ex husband didn't believe in her. Heck he even made her feel crazy. There's some spooky and suspenseful scenes. The best part is Charlie learning more about herself and her abilities. The bad guy and the evil ghost provide a lot of creep factor. I plan to read the next book.
Hanna Bair
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Storylines and capitalism

I'm enjoying the storyline even though I don't think ghosts would ever have power over other ghosts and certainly not people who are alive. Yes, they can influence people, but physically hold them somewhere?... I realize it's fiction. The story is obviously not over. It seems like a longer story that someone advised her to divide into more books so they could make more $. I get it. I'll keep reading.
Christina Alessi
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I got this book from Amazon, I was looking for something spooky but not too heavy. This book delivered in that sense, but I’m so confused about whether it’s YA or not. There was no indication that it was on the description, and the main character is in her thirties... but it really felt a little... lite. And a little silly. The phrase “man boobs” was used. I’m no prude but surely there’s a more interesting way to say that... right? Meh.
JJ Dunaway
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story of a woman who can see and speak to the dead and her cousins are varying types of witches. The story was entertaining all the way through and I was drawn into the lives of each character individually without taking too much focus from the main character Charlie. The end was satisfying to the main story line and to a side story line, so glad Helen also got a resolution. Overall so enjoyable and already picked up book two of the series to read.
Diana
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghosts abound

Charlie and her cousins are from Palmetto Island and all have ghostly powers. Charlotte can hear and talk to ghosts and sometimes see them. Her cousin Daphne calls a meeting of all the cousins to talk Charlie into helping a customer of hers did the old Talmadge House of all the ghosts so it can made into a b&b.
If you love ghost stories that leave you on the edge of your seat and won't t let you put it down until the very end this one is for you.
Theresa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a simple and mildly enjoyable read. I liked the characters but the story read more like a synopsis than a well-developed novel. The description was elementary and predictable. I did not find any surprises but it did hold my interest. Charlie is a psychic who finds herself trying to solve a series of murders. She comes from a line of witches and is still learning to understand her craft. I wish the witchcraft element of the novel had been more sophisticated and in depth.
Cathy Hill
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy reading.

Anyone familiar with psychics and their manner of engaging with the realm of the unseen will enjoy reading this book. The characters are well developed and ring true to their natures. While there are no real surprises in the story, the narrative will hold your interest until the end.
Epicbookaddict
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghost-stories
This is one of those books that you read and think, Damn! it could have been so much more.
There just wasn't enough character development IMO and I felt a bit cheated in the story line. All the elements were there and I liked the "across time" type concept the author was going for but in the end it just felt a little rushed and fell short.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Forgotten Men
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • Haunted Gracefield (The Gracefield Hauntings Book 1)
  • The Belles of Desire, Mississippi (The Ghosts of Summerleigh Book 1)
  • The Lady in White (The Ghosts of Summerleigh Book 3)
  • Billy Whistler
  • The Bloodline
  • The Ghost of Jeopardy Belle (The Ghosts of Summerleigh Book 2)
  • Alone on the Beach (The Haunted Ship Trilogy #1)
  • A Very Opal Halloween (Gemstone Coven Holiday Shorts Book 1)
  • Rowan's Responsibility (The Willoughby Witches Book One)
  • Madison Keith Ghost Story Collection - Volume 1: (Cozy mystery ghost story with a quirky female sleuth) (Madison Keith Amateur Sleuth)
  • The Ghost of Second Chances (Haunting Danielle #17)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • The Ghost and Little Marie (Haunting Danielle #15)
  • The October People (Gulf Coast Paranormal Extra Book 1)
  • The Ghost and the Muse (Haunting Danielle #10)

Witches of Palmetto Point (9 books)
  • Wayward Spirits (Witches of Palmetto Point #2)
  • Devil's Snare (Witches of Palmetto Point #3)
  • The Witches Ladder (Witches of Palmetto Point #4)
  • The Harbinger (Witches of Palmetto Point #5)
  • Shadow Child (Witches of Palmetto Point #6)
  • Captive Souls (Witches of Palmetto Point Book 7)
  • Natural Born Witch (Witches of Palmetto Point #8)
  • Bad Omens (Witches of Palmetto Point #9)
“Sometimes spirits hold onto emotions for people and things. It’s one way they bind themselves to this world.” 1 likes
“Your language reflects your character” 0 likes