Start by marking “50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants” as Want to Read:
50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Tracy DiSabato-Aust has taught thousands of readers how to design and maintain their gardens. Her first book -- The Well-Tended Perennial Garden -- is Timber's best-selling title and widely considered the bible of perennial maintenance. 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants is packed with useful tips, practical hints, and Tracy's own gardening experience. It is sure to fi ...more
Published January 7th 2009 by Timber Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants

Gaby
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban gardeners, novice gardeners, gardeners as general
Review: 50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants:
Tough-but-Beautiful Plants Anyone Can Grow by Tracy Disabato-Aust

As a novice gardener, I am drawn to gardening books with a judicious mix of beautiful pictures and helpful advice. This book caught me with its opening:

I wrote this book because you might be like me. You love to garden, but there is never enough time...I've been a gardener for over thirty years both as an avocation and vocation. I love gardening but I also have countless other passio
Denise
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Stunning photographs but not enough information in my opinion. The plants in this book were picked by the author for the climate and growing conditions found in Ohio. But not everyone has the money to afford such plantings. There are those of us who consider themselves lucky to be able to buy a flat of petunias but still have grandiose gardening dreams nevertheless.

I'm going back to my library to find a book on "low cost" gardening tips and plants.
M
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Good but not great for this area of the country.
Tonya Hardin
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Information was helpful but only one plant I really was interested in.
Mary-Stewart
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Plants that the author lists which are hardy in area 8 And shade loving:
Fernleaf Fullmoon Maple (ps)
Purple Snakeroot (ptofs)
Jack Frost Siberian Bugloss (ps)
Bowles Golden Sedge (ptofs)
Gold heart bleeding heart (ptofs)
Autumn Fern (ptofs)
Roxanne hardy geranium (stops but will do in fs)
Golden variegated Hakone grass (ptofs)
Hellebore (profs)
Sum and Substance HostA (ptofs)
Endless Summer Hydrangea (Stops)
Woodland Peony (pstos)
Variegated Solomon's seal (shade)
Indian pink (ptofs)
Laurla2
had to screen for zone 4 plants, most werent hardy that far north. lots of lovely pictures. these ones caught my eye.
korean angelica - angelica gigas - tall red purple flowers/seedheads
blue fals indigo - baptisia australis - shrub with blue flowers
'jack frost' siberian bugloss - brunnera macrophylla - silver frosted leaves with green veins
'gateway' joe pye weed - eupatorium maculatum - large pink flowers/seedheads
hellebore - helleborus - evergreen foliage with flowers of many different colors
'en
Lorraine
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys puttering in the garden or viewing them.
A great book to refer to when planning a garden, buying plants, and/or scheduling your time for the garden & other activities. Fantastic photography so one does not purchase the incorrect plant by visual means. This book has notes by the author that are to the right of the narrative. Best of all, I think, is the list of low-maintenance qualities of each plant included in this book. I have already ordered the Graham Thomas fragrant honeysuckle which I just know will look phenomenal with a dee ...more
Candy
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: house-and-yard
I liked the way this book was arranged, with large photos and little summary blocks about each plant. Learning that the big blue hostas are slug resistant was good information for me, because I think they are beautiful, and the slugs have eaten all the others that I have tried!!
I think I will also try Solomon's seal under my pines.
It kind of amazed me that the author planted 85 Rozanne geraniums to make a blue river in her yard. How do people afford to buy so many plants?
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
Yes, this book departs radically from her other books, which explored concepts and strategies rather than plant recommendations, but if you want a good, detailed, honest list of plant recommendations that will get you excited about the plants in question, well, this is it.

I was particularly fascinated by all her great shade recs, including grasses for shade. I will be using and referring to this book, for sure.
William
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I planted a Rosa rugosa 'Hansa' this year based on the recommendation in this book.

I am particularly intrigued by the recommendation of the 'Ogon' dawn redwood. If everyone planted one, it would dramatically transform the landscape of many locations.

This is a valuable book. It makes specific recommendations, and lays out the logical case for those recommendations.

Worth buying.
Josephine
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hobbies
Any book that includes pruning in the low-care doesn't understand my concept of low care! I want a plant-it and forget-it garden. Pruning and shaping doesn't really fit my concept. I marked a few plants which seemed interesting and I may include them in my next gardening project.
Kiri
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fabulous book! I really liked the way it was organized. Although there were quite a few plants that were not in my zone (4), thus revealing that this is not a book aimed specifically at Minnesotans, I got some ideas for plants I'd like to have.
David Ward
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
50 High-Impact, Low-Care Garden Plants by Tracey DiSabato - Aust (Timber Press 2009) (635.9). The author touts her selections of low impact plants in the garden. My rating: 7/10, finished 2010.
Laurie
Aug 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lazy Gardeners who Like to Make a Statement
Shelves: gardens-plants
Quick read...interesting & unusual plants, including perennials, shrubs, trees & grasses. Definitely hope to try some of these one day.
Mary
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well put together book. Plus the author lives in my state.
Sandy T
Love this book! So many great recommendations for interesting and unusual plants... mine is bookmarked all through it!
Lauren
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great pictures and descriptions, good information. Got some ideas.
Trish
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of plants in it.
Lee Anne
Anyone? We'll see.
Jennifer Muller
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
I thought this was a pretty great book. The pictures were beautiful and it gave great detailed information about what the plants would need. Being new to the area, this book was great for me.
Dystopian