Start by marking “What Happened” as Want to Read:
What Happened

What Happened

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  43,901 ratings  ·  5,754 reviews
“In the past, for reasons I try to explain, I’ve often felt I had to be careful in public, like I was up on a wire without a net. Now I’m letting my guard down.” —Hillary Rodham Clinton, from the introduction of What Happened

For the first time, Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what she was thinking and feeling during one of the most controversial and unpredictable
Published September 12th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about What Happened, please sign up.
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius* She actually did win by 3 million votes. She had more votes than ANY white man to have run for office. She wrote this book for the 65 million people…moreShe actually did win by 3 million votes. She had more votes than ANY white man to have run for office. She wrote this book for the 65 million people who did vote for her. Not for you.(less)
Joseph Riesenbeck Oh, here come the Bernie Bros laying on what they know nothing about. Ignore the Mike Rain political commentary. He didn't get his Bernie Unicorn.

·  43,901 ratings  ·  5,754 reviews

Start your review of What Happened
Emily May
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
For the record, it hurts to be torn apart.

I doubt I will go into too much depth about this book. I figure that most people fall into one of two groups - those who already know about and agree on the political aspects of What Happened, and those who will refuse to read it on principle (and may hate me on principle just for giving it a high rating).

As expected, it covers the events leading up to, during, and after the 2016 election. Hillary talks policy issues inc. immigration, gun control and
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note, I'm leaving the original pre-review below the actual review.

Disclaimer: I voted for Hillary Clinton in both of her presidential campaigns, and I’d vote for her again in a damn heart beat. So, yeah…obviously, this is not going to bash her. And before you mansplain that I didn’t do my research on her, I’ll have you know that I did PLENTY. I just, you know, didn’t get my news from Info Wars or Facebook.

Oh, also if you decide to troll on this review your comment is never going to get to see
Susanne  Strong
5 Stars.
An Incredibly Emotional Memoir. I laughed, I cried (a lot) and I also smiled quite a bit. What can I say - except that I am Still with Her.

First, I had the honor of meeting Secretary Clinton (and her aide Huma Abedin) at HRC’s book signing last Saturday, September 16, 2017, in Brookfield, CT. I shook her hand and thanked her for her service to this country. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life and I will never forget it. That being said, obviously by my reading this,
Charles
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
She could easily say, "I ran a poor campaign. I failed to connect with voters and I lost." Instead, we get page after page of excuses. Most disappointing!
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Edit: She won the GR Choice Awards for this book!

I guess you could say this is the second time she's won the popular vote. ( ʖ )

LOL I see that I lost a few friends over this review. You know what that means! Time to add this book to the books-that-made-me-lose-friends shelf. >:D

My dad used to tell me not to get near a scared animal; that it couldn't understand what your intentions were and since you couldn't exactly explain to said
hayden
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is my hundredth book read this year! congrats, self!

edit:
i would like to add that one of the very first lines in the book, in the author's note, is, "i've tried to learn from my own mistakes. there are plenty, as you'll see in this book, and they are mine and mine alone." so enough with the "she's just going to blame everyone else!!!!!!1" nonsense.

•••

prior to reading, i five-starred this book to offset idiots leaving one-star ratings
Nnedi
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't care what anyone says, this was a kick ASS read, hands down.
Larry H
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Losing is hard for everyone, but losing a race you thought you would win is devastating."

I was one of many Americans watching the 2016 presidential election results come in, feeling shock, disbelief, horror, and utter disappointment as the realization that Hillary Clinton had been defeated began to sink in. I really thought, despite the last-minute bombshell dropped by now-former FBI Director James Comey regarding her emails, that she'd be able to prevail.

I honestly believed, as did Clinton and
Erik Hovland
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
One star to offset those who have five starred to offset those who have one starred.
Erin
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2017
I ended up liking What Happened more than I thought I would. I thought it would be boring because quite frankly I find Hillary Clinton to be boring. I wasn't though, it was surprisingly entertaining and made me like her a little more. She spends way more time talking about her family, friends, and upbringing, than about the most shocking and upsetting political loss in history. I personally think Hillary Clinton is leading a far more full life than had she been elected. The American people are ...more
Bill Kerwin

This most personal and self-reflective of all Hillary Clinton’s books may not have taken a village to rear, but it did take half a squad: two speech writers (Dan Schwerin expository specialist, Megan Rooney narrative specialist), one researcher (Tony Carrk), and—of course—Hillary Clinton herself. But—wait a minute!—in the "Acknowledgments," right after Schwerin, Rooney, and Caark, comes a list of seven trusted advisers followed by another list of approximately ten dozen names of other people who
James  Love
The book should be titled Why Am I Less Popular Than Syphilis?: Or the Most Expensive Roll of Toilet Paper that Refuses to Take Crap Off Anybody's @$$. I wonder how long it will be before this is found to be as plagiarized as her devotional book. This is self-serving delusional thinking on par with L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics. The Church of HRC is once again attempting to re-create Saint Hillary.

This is the same woman who as Secretary of State, who's duties include:

Serves as the President's
Malia
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot has been said and written about What Happened, and I won't add much more. What I will say is this: It is not a book by an angry, bitter, "nasty" woman. People have very strong feelings about Hillary Clinton. Some will be happy to bash this book - often without having read it - as a self-indulgent tome by a woman who cannot be a good loser. It is not. The book is about her loss, yes, how could it not be, and her bewilderment, sadness and regret. There is some blame, but not only on others. ...more
Owlseyes inside Notre Dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...30-minutes wait to call the firemen...and
"When you lose to somebody who has 40% popularity, you don't blame other things -- Comey, Russia -- you blame yourself," Chuck Schumer

You lost it. You lost. Elizabeth Warren has a chance now, you don't. You lost. Blame the mainstream media which supported you; those papers that endorsed you; those who said your opponent would never win. You lost. Blame the fake polls up to the last minute of the election; check the 8th of November 2016 in The New York Times.

You may even blame Nate Silver and
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
I was hiking in the woods with Bogey, my dog, yesterday when I notice a woman with a familiar face walking with her two dogs approaching me on the trail.... then I notice all the people in black meandering through the woods around her, and it dawned on me....

"Hey Hillary! I can't believe it! What are you doing in Ohio? Are you getting a jump on 2020....doing a bit of the old campaigning?" I asked. "I'm NEVER going through that again, I'm done being a candidate.....DONE! I have a book tour stop
Matt
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
It takes a village to raise a child, but only a single politician to destroy that village and a bigoted wing of a political party to sully the fabric of a country. And that became clear on January 20, 2017, when Donald Trump assumed the office of President of the United States (though I still think he thought he’d bought Twitter and was just given a large office from which to offer inane social commentary). With the country unsure of what lay ahead, many were still asking themselves ‘what ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
There are already zillions of reviews....and it took me forever to get this book from the library... ( ebook) ... I’m still on the waitlist for the Audiobook.

Here are a few of my ‘LATE-TO-THE-PARTY’ THOUGHTS....

It must be very odd for Hillary... “being in her shoes”..
Her conflicting feelings must be an ongoing ongoing ongoing-basically never ending conflict!!! Happy if Trump is failing?/! yet crazy worried for Americans and the world at large.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Hilary was
Christine Todd
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've preordered Hillary Clinton's book and am giving it 5 stars in advance to help offset the actions of her haters, who also haven't read her book but are giving it 1 star apiece in an attempt to hold down her sales and her side of the story. Almost 100 years ago another group of authoritarian "Christian" men and their wives stood against the suffragettes, and they were wrong too. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, but misogyny won the election.
Diane
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the week or so it took me to read this book, I noticed that the reaction from my friends was almost universally the same. While discussing our latest books, the exchange would go something like this:

Me: "I'm reading Hillary Clinton's book."

Friend: "Wow. I don't think I could handle that. It's just too upsetting."

Me: "It's actually rather comforting."

Friend: "What? Huh? Please explain."

Me: "Well, I'm listening to Hillary read it on audio, and it's nice to hear her voice, to remember that she's
Esil
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
When I finish a book, I usually write a review almost instantly and I do it quickly trying to go from the gut. For some reason, I've been dawdling over my review of What Happened.

I listened to the audio as I walked to and from work over the last several weeks. In parallel, being the news junky that I am, I have watched the ongoing craziness south of the border. This is not a perfect book and Hillary Clinton is not perfect, but Jeez Louise, really?

My favourite parts of the book are those where
Jaidee
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Americans who want to live in a peaceful and just society
Recommended to Jaidee by: Jaidee did lol
4.5 "intelligent, insightful, healing" stars !!

2017 Honorable Mention Read

I am not one to follow politics and yet this last election in the USA had me riveted. I could not believe what I was seeing and hearing in the land to the south of us. A tyrannical man was not only nominated but in the end, he won. How could this be ? What does this mean for my American friends and my native land of Canada ?

I took Ms. Hilary Clinton with me to Europe in order to find out her perspective. I was not
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

I definitely was sobbing so hard while listening to this that I had to pause the audiobook and cuddle my blankie. It ripped open old wounds from January 2017 and fleshed out Hillary's side to the election that I was previously blind to. I've tried to read political books before and gotten lost in all of the policy discussion, but every page of this made sense because I read every article she referenced and I lived through and clicked away from all the discussion surrounding this
Betsy Robinson
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book flies in the beginning, slows later on, but despite the vicissitudes, I couldn't put it down.

I voted for Bernie Sanders in the presidential primaries, and his book, Our Revolution , was the first I read about the election.

The second related book I read more recently, The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump , and it was like an infusion of sanity.

What Happened feels like the third in a medicinal trilogy. It is healing to read a funny (the specifics of the phone and email stuff are
Margitte
What a remarkable woman. What a story.

However, I started reading this memoir of a woman who could have become the most powerful person in the world, and suddenly I just could not continue reading. Honestly, I had enough of the bickering, mudslinging, power play and mad politics. The press will not allow us to get away from it, and then it continues in memoirs like this.

I read 50% and put it aside. Not Hillary's writing's fault. She is a remarkably good writer, unless I missed the name of the
Kate
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I could relive the trauma of the election. But too many people are telling her to be quiet. And you know how I feel about telling women to shut up? It just makes me want them to be louder.

If the Democratic party is to continue, it would do well to think very thoughtfully about what went wrong in 2016. Luckily, HRC had a front row seat to it, and is probably the best person to tell us.

ACTUAL REVIEW TIME

This was as difficult to read as I could imagine. There were a lot of tears,
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a big supporter of Clinton in the 2016 election and am about 3/4 through the book because SHOCKER I WAITED UNTIL READING IT TO WRITE A REVIEW.

Clinton has an absolute right to write whatever she wants. She has been in politics for decades. She has done advocacy work. She arguably had the most relevant experience of any presidential candidate in American history. She was pilloried by the press, targeted by Russia, and won by 3+ million votes. Bernie Sanders lost to her in the primary,
Lola
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, politics
Hillary has given me a lot to think about.
Holly
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, audiobook, 2017
9/12/17
Unlike some people - I'm actually going to wait until AFTER I read the book, to give it a rating. Imagine having enough free time to randomly rate a book they haven't (and probably won't) bother to read, simply to try and cancel out someone else's rating.

9/14. Finished.
Was it a perfect book? No. It went on a bit too long, and it seemed a little rambling at times.
But, overall I found it to be insightful and moving.
Bud
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haven’t read this yet, obviously. But I’m giving it 5 stars so Trump supports don’t lower the overall rating. I personally, am interested to see what she has to say. I wish she was the current President and The US would probably be in a much better position. Anyways, I’m not going to ramble about my feelings about America’s screw up on here or how much I think she should have won the election.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Maybe later I will give it another chance. Not today, though.

I'll give it 3 stars, so far. For the effort. Maybe I'll review it later. We'll see.

Just a few takeouts of what NOT to do or say if you are running for office:
Q: I’m not saying that all Trump voters are racist or xenophobic. (c) Yeah, right. You're just labelling an unknown quantity of them.

Q: When I said, “You could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables,” I was talking about well-documented reality.
UCAS English 11 R...: January Book Review 1 2 Jan 31, 2019 10:46AM
What Happened 32 159 Nov 14, 2018 05:27AM
Goodreads Choice ...: What Happened - July 2018 7 65 Aug 28, 2018 12:46PM
The Hillary Clinton book 5 30 Feb 20, 2018 05:31AM
Ticket to Read Bo...: What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton 3 24 Feb 01, 2018 06:13PM
Best Audible Books 1 16 Dec 14, 2017 04:28PM

• The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
  • Thanks, Obama: My Hopey, Changey White House Years
  • Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
  • Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House
  • Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump
  • Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
  • The World As It Is: Inside the Obama White House
  • The Last Black Unicorn
  • Educated
  • Little Fires Everywhere
Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton (born October 26, 1947) was the 67th United States Secretary of State, serving in the cabinet of President Barack Obama. In 2016, she became the first woman in U.S. history to win a major party's presidential nomination, and the first woman to win the popular vote in a presidential race - despite losing the election.

She was a Senator from the state of New York from
“It is hard to be a woman. You must think like a man, Act like a lady, Look like a young girl, And work like a horse. —A sign that hangs in my house” 58 likes
“For a candidate, a leader, or anyone, really, the question is not “Are you flawed?” It’s “What do you do about your flaws?” Do you learn from your mistakes so you can do and be better in the future? Or do you reject the hard work of self-improvement and instead tear others down so you can assert they’re as bad or worse than you are?” 38 likes