Start by marking “Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.” as Want to Read:
Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.

Read Book

Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.

Rachel knew even as a young child that she wasnt like the rest of her Indian family. While her parents were plotting how she could make it into med school with her mediocre grades in chemistry and biology, she had other things on her mind, including such gems as:

Why cant she go to the temple on her period?
Why dont her Indian cousins like her?
Why was it OK to be
Published February 1st 2017 by Thought Catalog Books (self-publishing outlet)

Be the first to ask a question about Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.

Start your review of Are You There Krishna? It’s Me, Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever.
Samantha March
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been gravitating more toward these types of books lately a bit memoir, fun, adventurous, and just a good all-around story. And that is what I got! Not only did I get plenty of laughs, felt like I made a new friend in Rachel Khona, and re-told a few stories to friends, but I took a lot away too. There was great insight, moments that made me ask myself questions, and this a very well-rounded read. I thought the writing style was great and easy to get immersed in. Highly recommend!
I
 Leyla
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dont-do-it
-1/5 stars

I consider myself a very open-minded, chill, first generation Indian girl. Upon reading this novel, I expected it to be a parody of Indian culture and 1 person's take on being raised with both American and Indian values. I was truly excited to read this book. I really was. I thought I could relate to this book, and was sooo excited! But, then I actually read this book. Not only was I appalled by Rachel Khona's depiction of Indian culture, I was truly frustrated that someone would
Leanne
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Parts of this were funny, witty and charming. Overall though she comes off as arrogant and pompous and someone who is trying to be funny but really isn't.
Meghan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
There wasn't a whole lot here that resonated with me, probably because I'm not going to have a lot of similarities with someone who sees a pubic hair peaking out of a bathing suit crotch and freaks out. Or who expects her friends to pull the emergency-stop lever on a train after she misses it. But, at the same time, there's something to be admired about a woman who acts, to take Mindy Kaling's words, "with the entitlement of a tall, blond, white man." Something. But then many tall, blond, white ...more
Katie B
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title pretty much says it all. In this book Rachel writes about her life growing up and her observations on racism, sexism, and culture. Her sense of humor is what really makes this book an enjoyable read. This is a book to read when you want something that will make you laugh but also has a bit of substance.

There are times when Rachel can come across as mean and a bit selfish. Maybe though she was exaggerating certain situations just for a laugh.

On a side note, I received a free
Kerry Paolucci
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoire
I enjoyed the first 25%-ish, but it went downhill from there. I loved the childhood stories. They were relatable and funny, but then something changed. I didn't connect on any level with the author or her life stories. I was really hoping for a look into the life of someone from a different culture, but ended up not really getting that.
Ishita
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Review:

This is book that weaves observations on race, class, sex, feminism and culture into stories colored with blatant candor and humor. The narrative style of the author will beg the readers to get involved in her colorful opinions and be an equal participant.

""You often hear people fret about how young girls are too sexualised these days, (though I doubt there was ever a time society wasnt freakintg out about womens sexuality)..
So often it seems like a girls sexuality is thenproperty of
Tina Shah
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!! It is just the kind of book that resonates with 80's, 90's ABCDs. I could not stop laughing!

Majanka
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In Are You There, Krishna? Are You There Krishna, Its Me Reshma. Or Rachel. Or Whatever. author Rachel Khona describes her life in a humoristic, down-to-earth style that makes it easy for the reader to connect with her, and the story she has to tell.

The book is part memoir, part criticism on todays society, and for the most part, an account of the authors searc for herself, who she is, her culture, her identity, and how who
Jess
rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2018
Ilana
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Are you there Krishna? is a hilarious account on identity, narrow minded people, sexism and taking life easier without forgetting who you are. At least once in a while, it is also about ghosts, meeting celebrities and one-night stands. 'If you're easily offended, don't read this book', but if you do, you will get some good funny waves out of it, because when everything goes wrong, a smile can wipe everything. Tomorrow you can start anew again.
Behind the laughs and the fun and the ridiculous
Vanessa
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveways
This book was enjoyable. An interesting look into Rachel's life and her views.
Jennifer Rodda
Mar 05, 2017
Daniela Gómez
Apr 14, 2017
Roxanne
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Goodreads win review. This is a very funny book about the authors observations in life.
Thought Catalog Books
Feb 16, 2017
Rachel Khona
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sarah Wathen
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a funny enlightening and well written memoir and it gave me a new appreciation for Gwen Stefani. The writing flows nicely and before you know it your half way through the book and laughing to yourself the whole time.
Ted
added it
Debee Sue
Pam
Feb 23, 2017
Once upon a time in an exotic land called New Jersey, I used to dream of one day playing tambourine in an all-girl rock band.

That never happened.

Instead I became a writer. Once I realized not a single American (the French totally ace it) could say my name without a 20 minute explanation and/or sounding like they are choking I gave up on Reshma and started going by Rachel.

Ive written for The New