Start by marking “Embers (Common Law, #2)” as Want to Read:
Embers (Common Law, #2)

Embers

(Common Law #2)

Small town—big problems. Jericho Crewe is back in Mosely, Montana, trying to deal with police corruption, interfering feds, his newly discovered family members, and, of course, Wade Granger.

He doesn’t really need a biker war on top of it all, but as the bodies start to pile up, it becomes pretty clear that’s what he’s got. Not only that, but Wade’s involved somehow, and as
Published February 6th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embers

Simone
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short version:
Nothing is what it seems.
The cat-and-mouse game between Jay and Wade is in full swing.
And things are heating up...

Mhmm, maybe I should thank my lucky stars that my love for manipulative assholes with criminal tendencies but a vulnerable core and lots of charisma only applies to book characters...
Come to think of it, it sounds delicious nonetheless. ;-)

Sorry, but I'm in a bit of a hurry to find out how Jay and Wade could possibly end up together after this whole mess.
"You should
Deborah

3.5*

This is the second book in the Common Law series and it's more of the same, Jericho is back in Mosely as under-sheriff trying to sort his way through the police corruption to help his friend and sheriff Kayla while trying to ignore his ever present interest in Wade Granger, dealing with his father's widow and kids plus yes you've guessed it the DEA and Feds are back.
This is a great little book and there's so much here to like, interesting characters, humour, small town feel plus a good story
Jewel
In Embers, the second book in Kate Sherwood's Common Law series, Jericho Crew has decided to stay on, in Mosely, for a while to help Kayla investigate the corruption in her department. And since Jericho is on administrative leave from his job in Los Angeles, due to the events at the end of Long Shadows, he figures he might as well be useful, somewhere. Besides (and even though he'd never admit it aloud), you know a certain Wade Granger was part of Jericho's decision to stick around.

For such a s
LenaRibka

Could Jericho Crewe have guessed that Mosely, a small town in Montana that he got the hell out when he was seventeen would become such a hotbed of crime fifteen years later?

Jericho:

The reasons that brought LA cop back in his home city were merely of private nature at the beginning, but very soon his stay becomes the part of the job. Kayla, his best friend years back and the local sheriff, needs someone whom he can trust to watch her back, and Jericho couldn’t say no.

In addition to the case of ki
Ami
Dear, Ms. Sherwood...

May I tell you how I adore your complex characters and how you tell their stories?

From the moment I started the first chapter, I was spellbound with what Jericho Crewe was dealing this time. Three dead bodies found on blazing building of a bar, the federal agents pressuring Mosely Sherriff department, looming biker wars after drug-dealing territory between the local and out-of-town gang, not to mention on-going investigation of corrupted police officers, and taking care of
Alisa
So good. Jericho! Wade?? Gah......these books can't come out fast enough for me. This one picks up right after book one ends. Jericho is staying in his home town to help Kayla try to weed out the bad cops from her force and help her rebuild things again.

Jericho is now on the force with her and it's not long before another major crime happens. This one involving bikers, his step-mother, some federal agencies and perhaps Wade. Probably Wade. Most definitely Wade?? See, I'm not really sure and I l
CrabbyPatty
"You can think what you want about my business, my character, any damn thing. But don’t be stupid enough to think I don’t care about you.”

Embers is the second book in Kate Sherwood's engrossing Common Law series. Jericho continues working for the sheriff's department, Nikki and her semi-feral children are still thorns in Jericho's side, and Wade remains as enigmatic as ever. A triple murder - Chicago thugs perhaps killed by the Mountaineers (Mosely's biker gang) in a turf war - starts off the my
Jaime
4 stars for this installment of the Common Law series.

Jericho "Jay" Crewe, he is torn between world's. Loving and upholding the law while loving and wanting a criminal. Wade Granger, small town criminal or criminal mastermind - the jury is still out and according to him there may be more than meets the eye. These two have history and passion - lovers from a troubled youth together and now they are on different sides of the law. The problem is, Jay and Wade still have a passion between them...som
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had this baby marked on my calendar!

I was drooling *cough* I mean counting down the days, waiting, and waiting for Embers, book 2 in Kate Sherwood’s HOT! Common Law series, to come out. And I was not disappointed when I finally did have it in my hot little hands. How could I be? I was back in Mosely with Jericho and Wade causing trouble and in trouble again.

Wade Granger and Jericho Crewe’s chemistry is downright addictive! I can’t get enough! Wade’s enigmatic qualities drive me crazy right alo
Karen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 steamy stars rounded down to 4 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and I'm saving the full 5 star salute for the scorching hot times that I firmly believe are yet to come.

Things are heating up in the kitchen...again...

Things are definitely heating up between Jericho and Wade and we were back in the kitchen again. Apparently these boys like to cook more than dinner ;)

I'm really, really loving this series. In 'Long Shadows' we watched as Jericho Crewe came back to Mosley to look after what
Chris
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Ok so I enjoy this storyline... I love Jericho with all his mixed up loyalties and beliefs and Wade is smokin as the bad boy full of mischief and diversion tactics BUT the build is too damn slow !!! SLOW - I'm all for romance & character development but sheesh I really want to feel a little more of this heat to keep me focused. Yes I like the story, yes I like the whole small town / bad guys feel but it best pick up speed 😬.... okay so I'm getting off my pedestal now ! Let's see if book 3 he ...more
Fabi
3.5 stars for this second installment of the police procedural Common Law.

While we read and try to figure out who did what, Jay and Wade burn up the pages with their UST.

Who's the bad guy? Who can be trusted? Is everyone playing Jay? He certainly has more courage than I do because I'm biting my nails and shaking my head no at some of the situations he walks into. I think Wade has his back. I think...or maybe it's just hope.

In any case, don't miss out as their story continues to unravel in the mi
Maygirl7
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not pass Go. Do not pause long enough to review. Zoom onto book 3.
Sophia
My second outing with Jericho Crewe one month after he captivated me in Long Shadows and I'm a fair way down the road to being addicted to his coming home- style suspense story. Okay his story, Wade's, Nikki's, and the sheriff's.

As I said, this installment, Embers, is book two of the Common Law series that read like serial installments in a romantic suspense story about a hero who was an LA detective and a Marine before that when he is called home to the small town in Montana where he grew up to
Tess

Wow! This instalment really took it up a notch! LOVE the slow burn and the power dynamic between these two.
Kathleen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it

The storyline itself is really interesting. It's the execution with which I have issues. Typical Sherwood...too verbose and too much tell/not enough show. With years under his belt in the USMC and multiple tours in the Middle East, and as an LA homicide cop, Jericho somehow comes across as someone barely out of his teens. And Kayla? I couldn't buy her as a county sheriff who allowed Feds to shut her out of her own cases and manipulate her, and waffled back and forth on her treatment of
Mark
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, I love it when you read the first book in a series and it’s enough to make you pick up the subsequent book. Even more so when the story starts to get better and more interesting. Well, this is definitely the case for Kate Sherwood’s Common Law series. After reading the first book I was already fascinated by the relationship the Jericho has going on with Wade. Both completely opposite ends of the scale, Jericho returning home as a cop and Wade still living in Mosley and involved in all ...more
agirlwithoutwings
This book felt much better than the first for me probablybecause we see more of the building romance, and less of that crazy step-mother, I was so expectant of the new situation in which Wade and Jericho are put in totally different sides and the way besides all these the chemistry increases even more and also liked the end of the book.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Romantic Suspense gives me a damn headache. I know the "suspense, mystery" aspect of the story takes precedent but the romance is harder to find then common sense in this series. I'm being very patience but if this is the formula to romantic suspense then it's no wonder why I don't read it.

Now to the story at hand!! Something's ain't right. In my heart of hearts I believe Wade is something bigger that what we know. He just seems so fishy to me. I'm not necessarily saying he's bad, but I believe
Beebs
Book 2 in the Common Law series

I read both arcs back to back and quite frankly I'm wishing Kate Sherwood would write a little faster. I am dying to know what is going to happen next with Jericho and Wade. I am more convinced than ever that there is more going on with Wade than has yet been revealed and seriously the sexual tension between these two characters is amazing. More please :)

*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Anke
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finished and I liked it even less than book #1. Perhaps I‘ll write more after returning home.
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Christi Snow
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
This is a series where you need to read all the books. This is the second book out of the 4 book series and I liked it even more than the first as it settles into the story a little bit more and delves a little deeper into exactly what Jericho has stepped into by moving back to his small hometown. The story is definitely a slow build...not much in the way of romance although this book picked it up some.

Jericho escaped his hometown. It was a place where he was going to sink into povert
Bev

This is yet another slow-burn instalment [read tortoise paced] of the Common Law series. Honestly, just when you think Jericho and Wade must be kicking themselves at missed opportunities, the story takes another twist, and they're interrupted by biker gangs, Chicago mob villains and Federal agents who may...or may not be trustworthy.

All I can say is trust no-one Jericho, I don't think anyone has really got your back but the more I think about it, the less convinced I am that Wade is Mr Big...yo
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)
Embers is the second book in Kate Sherwood's Common Law series. It could possibly be read as a standalone, but I would recommend reading the first book prior to this one. It gives you a bit more background on both character and goes over how Jericho came to be living and working in Mosely.

I have to say I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one. This series was described as a romance with suspense/mystery when it's really light on the romance. Don't get me wrong, there is A TON of chemist
ConM
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, mm-romance, crime
I love this series.

Jay/Jericho with his heart on his sleeve. The enigma that is Wade. Then the secondary characters Sheriff Kayla and DEA agent Hockley: good guys? Bad guys? IDK
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mm

Things are really heating up for Jericho, in more ways than one! The mystery, the manipulation, real or perceived, the sexual tension! Gah! Finally, Wade and Jericho make contact and it is totally worth the way, though it is still just a taste. This story moves forward but still doesn't give many answers. Still on the edge of my seat waiting to see it play out and can't wait for the next installment.
Ruth
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm on the verge of DNF-ing this one. Jericho is the embodiment of TSTL. The only parts I find myself caring about are Wade/Jericho, but that's sparse. And the fact that Jericho lets himself get pushed around and manipulated by everybody and their dog is super grating.

I'm 65% into the novel and I feel like half of it has just been rehashing the same thing over and over.
Judi Easley
My Review:

I wish I had read the first book as well! Embers, book 2 in the Common Law series by Kate Sherwood, is pretty good. It's a psychological and emotional twister. Ms. Sherwood has you constantly trying to figure out whether or not Jericho is being manipulated by the feds, his boss, his stepmother, the biker club or his former lover. He is something of an innocent in all of this in spite of the life he has lead and his family connections.

And this is why I'd like to have read the first boo
Jeannie Zelos
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embers, Common Law 2, Kate Sherwood

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre:  romance, LGBTQIA

This is my fourth Kate Sherwood read, two were five stars, one was three – that’s how it goes for me, liking an authors writing style doesn’t mean I’ll love all their novels ;-) Still, Long Shadows, Common Law 1, was a five and I was keen to see where Wade and Jericho (Jay) would go next.

This is one of those excellent slow burn romances that I love, where we can feel just how attracted each person i
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Trowchester Blues (Trowchester Blues, #1)
  • Dark Economy
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior, #2)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Requiem in Leather (Deputy Joe, #4)
  • The Road to Silver Plume  (Secret Service #1)
  • Back to You
  • Fair Chance (All's Fair, #3)
  • Love is Heartless (Love Can't Series, #2)
  • Murder Book (Boystown #5)
  • Guardians Of The Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #5)

Common Law (4 books)
  • Long Shadows (Common Law, #1)
  • Darkness (Common Law, #3)
  • Home Fires (Common Law, #4)