Start by marking “El día antes de la revolución” as Want to Read:
El día antes de la revolución

El día antes de la revolución

(Hainish Cycle #6.5)

Publicado originalmente en 1974 en la revista Galaxy Science Fiction, este relato, ganador de los premios Nebula en 1974 y Locus en 1975, tiene como protagonista a Odo, la líder de la revolución que dio lugar al odonianismo, sociedad anarquista imaginaria.
Ursula K. Le Guin identifica esta sociedad con el anarquismo, que para ella es la más idealista, y la más interesante
Published January 2017 by Nórdica Libros (first published August 1974)

To ask other readers questions about El día antes de la revolución, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El día antes de la revolución

Start your review of El día antes de la revolución
A. Dawes
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories

Odo is an old female revolutionary who has suffered a stroke, and is nearing her end. She finds herself reflecting over her past, in particular the death of her husband Taviri many years ago, who died in prison at the hands of a totalitarian regime. His death sparked Odo's famed revolutionary pieces, which fired an entire movement. In fact, the world Odo is now in, and its many freedoms, are a result of her works.

Odo begins to feel a sense of embarrassment over her aged body, which seems to
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A weak 3 stars for me, even though this short story by Ursula Le Guin won the 1975 Nebula (and the Locus Award, and was nominated for the Hugo.

This is a prequel of sorts for The Dispossessed (which I liked much better, BTW), almost two hundred years before the events in that novel. It's a day in the life of a old woman named Laia Asieo Odo, who developed a philosophy of anarchy that would inspire a revolution on the planet Urras. Her ideas would lead to a group of people leaving Urras (where
Banny Carstairs
Behind every hero lays a human being.
Gabi
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching prequel to The Dispossessed, a short view unto a (the last?) day of the founder of the Odonianism. She reflects upon her life, her achievements and her losses and foremost about the inescapability of getting old. Put in LeGuins always precise and thoughful prose this was a very moving read for me. ...more
Nefeli
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-story
I'm not going to write a review for this; instead I'm going to copy and paste what Le Guin herself said about this short story, which you can find here:

"My novel The Dispossessed is about a small worldful of people who call themselves Odonians. The name is taken from the founder of their society, Odo, who lived several generations before the time of the novel, and who therefore doesnt get into the action except implicitly, in that all the action started
Margaret Killjoy
This story is what provided me my working definition of what an anarchist is: "An anarchist is one who, given the choice, chooses responsibility"
Though i sometimes get the exact wording that Ursula uses wrong.
Tracy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars. A little bit of ephemera, a day in the life of a woman who started a revolution and created a new way for her people to be. I read this long ago. Glad that I read it again.
Chance Gardener
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Excellent! Too short, however it strikes immediately to the point. I instantly fell in love with Odo. No need to read the dispossessed, this short story stands alone, however Ursula's worlds and especially moon deserve to be explored and should be mandatory reading
ALICIA MOGOLLON
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such poetry, Ursula K. Leguin never fails to enchant me with her beautiful and poignant of words and character development. A very short but engaging companion to The Dispossesed. And even if you've not read that, this piece is an engaging and wistful day in the life of a radical, important woman coming to turns with loss, aging and moving on.
David (דוד)
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemplative
Le Guin's short story, a prologue to The Dispossessed. A good read on the theme of Anarchism.
Buttons O'Belhans
Perfectly encapsulates many of the things that I want when I think of communes. I like Le Guin's perspectives on anarchism, at least as much as I've read so far. This short story has made me really want to read The Dispossessed.

I like the way Le Guin portrays the internal life of someone who has become a revered figure - an internal life with self doubt and pride and reflection. I can't help but read some of Le Guin herself into the protagonist.
Andreas
Prologue to The Dispossessed.
I've outsourced short story reviews to my blog. Please, find my review here
Stephen
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
While this short story is effectively a prequel or prologue to Le Guin's The Dispossessed, I think it's better. 1. it isn't dated, and 2. while the story of the Dispossessed serves Le Guin's political philosophy, what little of political philosophy here feels like it serves the story, and we end up understanding Odo here almost as well as we understand The Dispossessed's main character, despite how much shorter it is.
Vesselin Metodiev
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
''A proper bodys not an object, not an implement, not a belonging to be admired, its just you, yourself. Only when its no longer you, but yours, a thing owned, do you worry about it Is it in good shape? Will it do? Will it last? '' ...more
Brian
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short story that is packed with many thoughtful subjects. An aging revolutionary looks back at her life and remembers the heady days of her youth, when she led a movement to overthrow a repressive authoritarian regime. While in prison she developed a blueprint for a functioning anarchist society. Her name became eponymous with a triumphant liberating social movement. She found it difficult to live by the principles of freedom that she invented and that became social norms. Those who have only ...more
Peter Tillman
Jo Walton's review:
Excerpt:
I have always loved The Day Before the Revolution, now online to celebrate the Library of America two volume edition of Le Guins Hainish novels and stories.

I first read it in the British collection The Winds Twelve Quarters Volume 2, in 1979, where it is the concluding story and the best of a very very good set of stories. I had already read The Dispossessed and was thrilled to find this story set in the same world. But thats not
James S
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was kind of a pre-story for The Dispossessed. It was a nice refresher, got me in the world quickly and the focus on age and death gave me some closure on my feelings around Le Guin's passing. <3
Jeffrey Shrader
I didn't expect or plan to go on a big Ursula K. Le Guin kick, but here we are.
Melanti
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, sci-fi
This story relies pretty heavily on The Dispossessed, which I haven't read.

It's enjoyable without reading the other, but since I was busy trying to figure out the background story, I feel like I didn't get the chance to fully appreciate it.

One of the ideas that I liked most from it is that Odo has become detached from the the workings of the revolution, just like she's become detached from the workings of her body.

It's interested me enough that I'm going to try to read The Dispossessed then come
Glyn
A very interesting look at "the life after the revolution." Children who grew up in the new world, and had no concrete idea of the struggle that created the society they now lived in.

Well written, and also containing meditations on age, loss, and love.

I like that the Hain canon begins with a story about a woman, and one who set the events in motion without herself or the other characters knowing it.
Nursena
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
2.5 stars? Not entirely sure...
Samson Martirosyan
This is a prequel to The Dispossessed which I finished reading yesterday. A day in the life of Laia Asieo Odo, the one who started the revolution and who was its main ideologist, her ideas made a group of revolutionaries leave the planet Urras and found an anarcha-communist society on the planet which they called Anares. It is after her name that the people in Anares identify themselves with - Odonians.
This short book is just a day in the country called AIO in Uras - 200 years before the events
Adam
This was a somewhat-interesting short story that was written with all the skill and quality and deeply human characterization that Le Guin bestows on all her writing. I LOVED "The Dispossessed" (one of my all time favorite books) and was exciting to read this prequel about anarchy and revolution in that world. In that sense I was disappointed - it was really just a minor character study of an older lady who happened to be an instrumental revolutionary (the revolution and political theory ...more
Inga Freiberga
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short story, but with powerful message in it. The message I guess depends on a person who reads it. For some it might be more about political systems and their rise, existence and fall. For some about being a true anarchist and paying a price for it with your whole life. For me it was a reminder of age. How becoming old and still looking to our dreams we could see others fulfilling them. How the mind sometimes can't keep up with the body anymore. And the memories from childhood and the ...more
Abigail Hodde
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a brief look at the life of a revolutionary, after the revolution has begun. some context recommended, but probably not required. as usual, this short story is told in le guin's precise, vivid style and powerful voice. reading this after her death feels strangely personal, as if i'm breaching her privacy by looking at odo and seeing ursula. but it is about the people who light the fire, and le guin has been that spark for so many.
Paulina Lopez
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a masterpiece. Short, beautiful, deep... I discovered a whole new side (the best side) of Ursula K. Le Guin that made me choose her as one of my favorite authors of all time.
If I could, I would tag this one with ten stars since it doesnt seem fair to rate her with the same punctuation than other good, but not close-as-good books.
You can read this one in 20 minutes so its a must.
kazerniel
Interesting to see the perspective of Odo herself, rather than the removed veneration that we see towards her in the Disposessed.
Patrick
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even in short doses, le guin was an incredible writer.
RJ from the LBC

• Mr. Harrison's Confessions
  • El informe Monteverde
  • El placer
  • Birinci Kıyamet: Güneşin Battığı Yer
  • El viento comenzó a mecer la hierba
  • All Summer in a Day
  • Leylan
  • Una edad difícil
  • Tatt av kvinnen
  • Vegetarianos con ciencia
Ursula K. Le Guin published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. She lived in Portland, ...more

Hainish Cycle (6 books)
  • Rocannon's World
  • Planet of Exile (Hainish Cycle #2)
  • City of Illusions
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle #4)
  • The Word for World is Forest