Start by marking “The Marriage Trap (The Mackenzies, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Trap (The Mackenzies, #3)

The Marriage Trap

(The Mackenzies #2)

This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00BH16SWU.

"A shepherd’s hut, twenty-four hours, a stranger…” It’s not the perfect start to Gemma Winters’ new life—another man is the last thing she needs after the suffocating control of her ex. But, when she finds herself isolated with a ruggedly handsome stranger, the demands of her body take over.

Since his wife died, Callum
Published (first published February 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Trap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Trap

Book Binge
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second novel in The Mackenzies series features the second Mackenzie brother, Callum--a man with a deep well of fear of being hurt based on the betrayal and death of his wife and infant son many years before meeting a woman whose life is endangered by a flash flood, the kind for which New Zealand is famous. And it is in the context of that emergency situation, stranded in a temporary shelter with a man who doesn't appear to be too welcoming other than the fact that he saved her life, that Ge ...more
Judith
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A follow-up novel that continues the experiences of brothers living in New Zealand and whose lives have intersected from time to time. The story revolves around a woman who is running from a hurtful and disastrous relationship in London, pretending to be the inheritor of a falling-down house that belongs to a friend of hers, and who is rescued from a flash flood of massive proportion by Callum Mackenzie and who gradually works her way past his substantial emotional defenses. It is a difficult st ...more
Jaxta
Feb 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible. The main characters were legitimately stupid people, emotionally immature, arrogant and self righteous with no reason to be. Both were incapable of communicating even the simplest of concepts... I could go on forever. The dialogue was sickly sweet at times, the plot ridiculous. I've read a lot of free "romance" books over the past year, but this is the first time I've truly felt like I was reading a trashy "romance novel".
Trish R.
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read..

So, the two negative reviews I can only assume DID NOT read the entire book or they would have seen that Callum’s controlling ways were because of his dead wife and how Gemma showed him how to “give her space.”

Anyway, I liked this book just as much as I liked the first one. It seemed to have more drama but just as much perfectly written sex and sexual tension.

Loved Callum and felt extremely sorry for him and what Clair put him through. Loved how much he grew during the enti
Linda Walters
Everything happens so fast in the beginning. The attraction, the falling into bed together, unprotected sex with a stranger. Now I'm all for romance but this was like I said too fast (for me). Although I guess I was warned wasn't I? The book info did say 24hours didn't it? Even though they are strangers, they were somewhat sweet together in the beginning. Sweet but a bit hard to believe but the it all fell apart-not so hard to believe then. Misunderstandings begin to pile up on both sides. Anger ...more
Loz
2 stars... maybe another half for being set in New Zealand. Where the season's match our own right here in Australia.
Right off I didn't like Gemma. She's an ignorant twit who claims to want her freedom, her independence, yet she's stupidly uneducated and ignorant when it comes to getting it.
Fortunately this one managed to redeem itself around the half way mark, though I guess I didn't particularly like Callum either, or his family. It was okay. The story was good, but I just didn't like the ch
Jean
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the setting in rural New Zealand. This was the woman running from her dangerous past installment of the Billionaire Hottie family saga. It was a relaxing read for a wintery night.
Kathleen Booker
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good trap

Gemma escaped a controlling violent man and ends up falling in love with a man who rescued her from storm. Callum thinks he will never love again until Gemma needs help. After one night of passion they have a few spats and then she discovered she I'll carrying his baby and ends up in what she thinks is the same kind of relationship she escaped only to realize they love each other. Looking forward to more of the Mackenzie family.
Linda Rea
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story full of heartbreak and love and lots of secrets. Gemma is on the run from a controlling man and having been rescued by Callum she believes he is too. Gemma doesn’t tell Callum why she is in New Zealand and he thinks she is the heir of the land he wants so badly. Now they are stuck together and the man she was running from hasn’t given up.
Caroline
It wasn't bad. It was a little over done on the part of the heroine, I think. It's like she doesn't know if she wants to be independent or clingy. It's rather weak on motivation, but not a terrible read at all.
Lwazi Ndala
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was so unengaging and frustrating, I couldn't even remember the characters' names. So many issues with this one, I don't even know where to start. At least it was readable.
Daian Diaz
Actual rating 3.5
Enjoyable and a quick read.
Frau Ott
Laurie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok but story was far fetched. Leaves a guy for over-controlling and end up in bed with another 2 days later.
Sherry Vitaniemi
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow

This story was not what I expected. It was more. I loved it. They were both well matched. They took the long way to love. But they got there.
Anne Hewling
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

I really liked this book thank you it took me two notes to read it and I love very happy endings
Chanel
This was an average romance novel, and my favorite part was the backdrop of New Zealand. The author did a good job show casting the country of New Zealand, was I found enjoyable.
Alice
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good romance. It's a good book.
Anniek
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gemma needs to get away from an abusive and controlling ex. To stay under the radar she flees to New Zealand pretending to be the rightful owner of a piece of property and a house that desperately needs renovations. Gemma is not used to the dangers of nature that New Zealand is known for. During a life-threatening situation because of a flash flood Gemma is rescued by Callum.

Callum has lived in New Zealand his whole life and he knows how dangerous the floods can be. He takes Gemma to a shepher
Jane
Gemma had her secrets and when revealed they hurt Cullen. Cullen could not let go of his past pain with his first wife who betrayed him and held it inside, which hurt Gemma. Both characters were deeply troubled, had trouble sorting out their difficulties and big problems with communication. I felt that they deserved each other and The Marriage Trap that they made for each other and then to finally sort out their differences for a happy ending.

Cullen's family support of his brothers showed he had
Sandra
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy, short read - what I might call a beach book. The main characters, Gemma and Callum, meet at an expected spot and during a surprising emergency and, as is typical of light romances, they both immediately have "electricity" towards each other, but then how realistic is this, they think. There is the typical on again, off again - I love him, he doesn't love me and I love her, she doesn't love me and the author does as much as possible to add some turns and twists to keep the reader reading ...more
Cindy
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time really getting into this story. The main characters' issues with "control" and their definitions of what "freedom" vs."trust" are in a relationship were very odd to me. The author led them down a pretty hard road with no ability to talk or comprise, so basically they only had a relationship in bed. The writer's descriptions of the New Zealand scenery were very good and I wished myself there a few times. The writing was good with few grammatical errors to detract from the story. ...more
Dawn-Ann
I really liked most of the story. I feel the arch was rushed and not as dramatic as I thought it would be, the ending was happy and quick and tied up pretty with a bow. I would of liked for it to be a little more drawn out I guess, more story. It was still really good though. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

editing mistake
I noticed a editing mistake and these really bother me, Gemma says the baby is due in June and then a couple pages later Callum tells his mother the ba
Yashira
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 20%

This book just did not do it for me from the very start. I rolled my eyes many times and honestly there was no type of development at all. There's no foreplay, no flirtation nothing leading up to things. It kind of just happens. Then there's the fact that the characters seem dull. They needed more of a personality.

Yes, I didn't get far enough to see if things buildup and get better. But, if I'm annoyed with the first 20% I can only imagine how I'll be by the time I finish this.
Christine
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It was overall an average to good book. I enjoyed reading it, but I got tired with Callum pretty quickly. There wasn't much character development there, and it was a shame. I kept waiting for it to happen, and it never did. And the climax was very disappointing. I was expecting something grander and it just fell flat. Ending was sweet though, but still felt like it was missing something.
Mariette
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not all of it is very convincing, but for relaxing while reading, it was quite a nice story. I doubt if a real scum ex-lover would just stay out of New Zealand because he was prohibited. The story tells us that he has enough co-operatives who could do his dirty job. Mackenzie himself is also not convincing in all aspects. But it was over-all a nice story to read.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something different to read and this was free on kindle so I decided to give it a try. It definitely was not for me. I found the writing cliché, the plot flimsy, and the characters unlikable. If it was much longer I probably wouldn't have finished it. I wouldn't recommend actually spending money on this one.
Lin
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my girls
Recommended to Lin by: free book
The action was fast at the beginning almost too fast with the strangers falling into each others arms. Then it slowed down, like they didn't trust each other, after all they were complete strangers. It read like a one night stand that they both regretted immediately. The book is very well written keeping the reader wondering what was going to happen next between Gemma and Callum.
Candy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read..

I preferred the first book in this series. Although there was entertaining events happening I felt like it dragged just a bit much. Of course this is my own personal opinion and experience with the story. I hope that others find it more exciting than I did.
Wendy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started off as another one of those cheesy buff dude meets damsel and they fall in love kind of books but I was pleasantly surprised that I liked this book. The story ends not entirely neat and tidy and the guy is such a " cowboy" *eyeroll* so I didn't love it but it was an okay read.
  • Maddie's Marine
  • Falling For The Boss (The Attracelli Family, #2)
  • Nine Months Part 1 (36 Hours)
  • Everything You Desire
  • The Posse (Crystal Cove #1)
  • See Me
  • Luck Would Have It (Falling for the Billionaire, #1)
  • Chasing Jane
  • Fighting Fire (Part One): The Intern
  • The Mistake (Claiming Love, #1)
  • You Again
  • Captivate (Love & Lust, #1)
  • A Promise of Love
  • Wild Lover
  • His Body and Soul - Volume 1 (His Body and Soul, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Passion
  • Fire at Dusk (The Firefighters of Darling Bay, #3)
  • Fire and Ice
Diana lives with her family in a small seaside community north of Wellington, New Zealand, with two cocker spaniels who bark at everything and a tortoise-shell cat who teases them mercilessly.

She writes contemporary romantic fiction and has four series on the go: Desert Kings (sheikh romances), Italian Romance, and the Mackenzie and New Zealand Brides series, both of which are set in New Zealand.

The Mackenzies (4 books)
  • The PA's Revenge (The Mackenzies, #2)
  • The Playboy's Redemption (The Mackenzies, # 5)
  • The Cowboy's Craving (The Mackenzies, # 4)