Start by marking “Don't You Forget About Me” as Want to Read:
Don't You Forget About Me

Don't You Forget About Me

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to rise again…

The hilarious new heartbreaker from Mhairi McFarlane!

If there’s one thing worse than being fired from the grottiest restaurant in town, it’s coming home early to find your boyfriend in bed with someone else.

Reeling from the indignity of a double dumping on the same day, Georgina snatches at the next job that she’s offered
Published January 10th 2019 by HarperCollins (first published October 29th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Forget About Me, please sign up.
SydneySage Do you mean in the US? I'm not sure there, but in the UK it's already available I just bought it at my local book store.

Beverley
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I have one problem with Mhairi McFarlane’s books; I inhale them. Every single time I sit down to read one I think to myself, ‘savour it Beverley, because once it’s finished, that’s it’, and every single time I devour it in a matter of hours. Don’t You Forget About Me is no exception, I couldn’t put it down and was fully absorbed in the world of Georgina.

If you haven’t read a Mhairi McFarlane book before then you really should remedy that pretty quickly. Her books are witty, sharp, precise and fe
Theresa Alan
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this novel. From chapter one, I was chuckling. I loved Georgina, who is fired from a job at a terrible restaurant despite doing nothing wrong. Looking for solace, she stops at her boyfriend’s house, only to discover him in bed with his assistant. Scrambling to be able to pay rent, she lands a job as a bartender, only to learn that it is half owned by the boy she fell in love with in high school. She’s had no contact whatsoever with Luke in the 12 years since graduation because of a misun ...more
Hollis
It doesn't matter if you take wrong turns. Arriving somewhere you want to be, in the end, is what counts.

I've been wanting to read this since a friend (hi AR!) five starred this many moons (okay, it was like February) ago. It took me until this past weekend to pick it up and, sadly, only because I was meeting her at a signing.

"Don't have a go at me, I'm trying to play peacemaker."
"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."
"Oh my GOD have you been o
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Because with a title like that a woman my age doesn't even need to know what it's about before clicking the request button . . . .

Diem
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Some notes I had during my reading:

- more com, less rom

- ‘women on the verge’ stories that I am hungry for

- really angry

- incisive, cutting observations about gender politics and heterosexual relationships
Moony Eliver
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I don’t read hetero novels very often. It takes a rare mood, and just as importantly, a recommendation from a well-aligned friend.

I’m hugely enjoying something I didn’t expect to enjoy whatsoever, so the sense of enjoyment is potent—two and half times the strength of a scheduled pleasure.

Honestly, I can’t even say I was armed with that right mood when I cracked this one open. But I’d requested the ARC after said recommendation, and I figured what the hey. The pub date wasn’t for a whi
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Lemme tell you my story before you throw stones.

This is a fun story but it's not what I would categorize as a romance. It's chick lit. Chick lit that reminds me a lot of Bridget Jones's Diary only Georgina is probably wiser than Bridget.

They both get into wacky situations regularly, they're both British and they both have a core circle of friends that stick by them through thick and thin.

I actually really like Georgina and empathized with her familial trials and tribulations. She's a generous fr
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: december-2018
MY RATING: 3/5 STARS
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

This is my first novel by Mhairi McFarlane and it won't be my last. She's been recommended to me a lot after I asked a lot of people who their favourite romantic comedy author was besides my queen Sophie Kinsella. However, it was only until I received an ARC that really pushed me into actually reading her stories.

Don't You Forget About Me follows the story of Georgina who used to work as a server in one he
*The Angry Reader*
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me - personally - subjectively - this was the ideal book. It was funny. And it had so much growth. So much feeling. It was hugely romantic without being a romance. And the way George seized her power was intoxicating.

I mean, it’s the same old story, isn’t it? Downtrodden girl becomes ever-more downtrodden as life kicks her while she’s down. Job loss. Boyfriend loss. And then she’s confronted with her old love, and he’s kind of a shit about it.

And you read about “strong” heroines. I think t
c,
I don't know what he's thinking. I look forward to finding out.

Galley provided by publisher

TWs harassment (sexual and otherwise), past sexual assault (described)

As ever, here I am, having rated a book 5 stars, asking myself the biggest question: just how do you review a book that has just ripped your heart right out and then stitched it back into place? This, of course, may seem like an overexaggeration, but it's not. I'm sat in the kitchen of my flat having just gone through a rollercoaster
Yoda
The only problem I always have with Mhairi McFarlane books is that I cant get myself to read them slowly. I devour them and always have to wait two years until the next one.

I absolutely loved this story, its as always entertaining, fluffy, feel-good and just perfect. I definitely recommend it, this might be her best story yet.
Maggie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I love Mhairi McFarlane.
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Devoured this book. Love love love!
Jacqueline
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant, my favourite read this year so far.

I cannot lie, I wasn't in any rush to read this one after the half assed way the last one ended, but this delivers all of the feels, the wit, the originality, the pathos and just the happy reading glow I've come to enjoy from this author. The ending was perfect too.

If only everything I read was this fabulous.

Complete story, highly recommended.

Adele Shea
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!!

What a wonderful book!! Oh how I cried. I can honestly say this book is going to have a special place in my heart forever. I certainly won't be forgetting about it.
Kayleigh Kehoe ♡
wordpresstumblrinstagramtwitter
_____________________________

Mhairi McFarlane you have reduced me to a crying mess on public transport and I will never forgive you but I love you for it.
"I didn't know yet that small moments can be incredibly large."

Georgina Horspool is 30, recently sacked from a waitressing job, and just caught her boyfriend cheating with his PA. If there ever was rock bottom, Georgina had definitely hit it. Fortunately for her, her sweet brother in law hooks her
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought-2019, romance
I read it in 24 hours and it was a bloody life saver. It’s been a while since I needed a book quite this much, as a complete and utter distraction from what I might otherwise be feeling. The rating is due in part to that, but also because it’s funny and heart warming and has a lovely cast of characters. I really was rooting for Georgina and Lucas (who are not as posh as their names make them sound) and I appreciated the story arc of self-love and forgiveness for George in particular. It’s very v ...more
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
The romance was a bit underwhelming, especially since I have such high hopes for this trope.
Sammi
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twenty-nineteen
I loved Don't You Forget About Me.
Georgina is such a relatable character... mostly.
She isn't always likeable, however, she is real, witty & funny.
Lucas, of course, is the gorgeous, brooding man from her past. I adore him!

This book was such a cute, enjoyable read that had me laughing out loud in parts.
However, the story is all sunshine and roses.
There are some serious issues addressed within the book. These are handled tactfully and with somehow manage not to detract from the overall li
Rikke
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
Nobody writes love declarations like Mhairi McFarlane.

Even though her books are lighthearted and utterly predictable, the moment it all comes together always take me by surprise. McFarlane's male characters always has a way of professing their love that seems acute, almost shocking in its pure timing and power; making me want to gasp or cry like the main characters themselves often do.

Admittedly, Don't You Forget About Me isn't McFarlane's strongest or wittiest novel. It has a lot of minor chara
cloudyskye
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why why why has the German translation been out for weeks, but we have to wait until January for the English original??? (Brexit, ick hör dir trapsen ...)
--- This was in November, now (late January) we have new dates of publication for the English version: 18 February (Amazon Germany) and 7 March (Amazon UK). What is going on??
---
For the record: It came a little later than 7 March. And I lost no time inhaling it. So, so good. Mhairi is officially my favourite chick lit author. So far, she has no
Natalie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointed, dnf
I'm sorry but I'm just really not into this book. For one thing, it's a little overdramatic for my liking. There's just something off about it that isn't working for me, I'm finding myself just wondering why I'm bothering with reading it. Maybe I'm not in the mood for this kind of book, I don't know.
Oh, and the protagonist was getting on my nerves. I just can't seem to like her or even care about what she does. Eh.
For that reason, I cannot finish this one. It's not interesting me enough to kee
Belinda
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was not a fan of this book. The writing did not hook me. The language used was so formal in its narration and then colloquial in the dialogue. It was jarring.

I felt like the characters were not interesting, it seemed to be very event driven with a lot of storytelling at the expense of characterisation.

The side stories with the family and friends were not particularly interesting or engaging.

The explanation for Lucas not 'remembering' the main woman didn't seem to fit the story and came out
Jypsy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't You Forget About Me is more chicklit than romance in my opinion. Georgian is seriously unlucky and down at an age when she should be building her life up. Some things do start to turn her way and maybe begin turning her luck around. I like the characterization of Georgian as a person with some growing up to do, even though she's in that thirtyish should already be grown place in her life. It's taken her longer than average to figure out her life, but she is making progress toward positive ...more
Julie
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scottish-lit
Full review: https://julies-bogblog.blogspot.com/2...
I actually think this is one of Mhairi McFarlane's best works...

Mhairi McFarlane writes sweet, hilarious, and great chick-lit books like no other does!
Her characters are not perfect - and that's exactly what causes the sympathetic feelings for the main characters in her books.
The love in the book also seems very real throughout the book. Though, I would have liked a little more focus on their development in their feelings, it was still very
Jennifer MacMullin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars; Oh my god, I loved this! It’s been a while since I read a book that made me laugh out loud multiple times, but also brought tears to my eyes. I felt like it only got better the more I read. The only reason I’ve taken .5 stars off is because there were a fair amount of little typos throughout. But other than that, I loved it!
Littlebookworm
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Newly unemployed and having found her boyfriend cheating on her, its safe to say that having just turned 30, Georgina Horspool is not where she wants to be in life. Then she lands herself a new job as a barmaid at a recently refurbished pub, only to discover her new boss, Lucas McCarthy, is her former childhood sweetheart. The only problem is that he doesn't seem to have any recollection of her whatsoever!

I'm a huge fan of Mhairi McFarlane and its been a long wait for this book. The first chapte
owlsandstags
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The romantic-comedy begins during sixth form in which our main character Georgina is paired up with a quiet Irish boy named Lucas during their English lesson to discuss Heathcliff. Soon enough, the duo are hitting it off and finding out that they have more in common than a classic novel but things don’t go according to plan at their leavers party and soon enough, the pair are no more.

“Just because you kissed someone twelve years ago, that doesn’t mean you know them now.”

The plot fast forwards to
Marina
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the most delightful surprise in all the best ways
Rosie Read
I feel like an absolute prick giving this three stars because I love Mhairi McFarlane, but this really wasn't that good for me and I wanted to be honest (mainly for myself) in my Goodreads reviews - even though I know authors detest this site at times.

A wee list is probably the easiest way for me to explain without being unnecessarily harsh, but before I start I'd still whole heartedly recommend this to anyone who loves 'brit lit', romance, McFarlane or other British romcom authors such as Kinse

• No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • Untitled
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Untitled
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Before the Broken Star
  • Untitled (Transference, #3)
  • Untitled (Mirage, #3)
  • Untitled (The Aurora Cycle #2)
  • The Color of Revenge
  • The Dark Corners of the Night (UNSUB, #3)
  • Moon Witch, Night Devil (The Dark Star Trilogy, #2)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.
“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” 2 likes
“The word loss had a new meaning, or its meaning became clear: a person who loved me, in a completely unique and irreplaceable way, had vanished and took with him our relationship.” 0 likes