Start by marking “A Defense of Ardor: Essays” as Want to Read:
A Defense of Ardor: Essays

A Defense of Ardor: Essays

Ardor, inspiration, the soul, the sublime: Such terms have long since fallen from favor among critics and artists alike. In his new collection of essays, Adam Zagajewski continues his efforts to reclaim for art not just the terms but the scanted spiritual dimension of modern human existence that they stake out.

Bringing gravity and grace to his meditations on art, society,
Published October 19th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published September 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Defense of Ardor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Defense of Ardor

Start your review of A Defense of Ardor: Essays
daniel greeson
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As one reads (or should read) W.H. Auden to get a certain feeling for the literature of the 20th century from a Western European perspective, so one should look towards Adam Zagajewski as a prime candidate for an Eastern European one. A Defense of Ardor is a wonderful panoramic view of the intellectual ferment of Poland under Communism, the impact of various authors upon Zagajewskis intellectual and poetic life, and a guide to reading the other giants of Polish literature of the last generation: ...more
Krishna Avendaño
En estos tiempos de inmanencia, de espíritus cansados, de estética malbaratada, donde gracias a la tiranía del relativismo lo abyecto y vacío suele pasar por bello, pocos libros son tan necesarios como En defensa del fervor de Adam Zagajewski.

Unas citas:
Sólo el fervor es la materia prima de nuestras construcciones literarias.

La belleza es una llamada, una promesa, tal vez no de felicidad como quería Stendhal, pero sí de un eterno peregrinaje.

Los contemporáneos ya no lloran, sino que más bien
Monicaaa
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Zagajewski has this way of writing in a fashion where the words just make sense in whatever order he has put them in. In this book of essays, he discusses various things. Writers he has known, reading Nietzsche in communist Poland, reading while on vacation, arguments for poetry. Some essays are more dense than others and take a while to get through, but reading through them, you tend to feel something with every word he's laid on the page.

A Defense of Ardor has given me more of an urge to read
Isla McKetta
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I want to purchase many copies of and press into the hands of friends. The pages are now littered with annotations and the initials of people to whom I will quote certain passages in letters. Zagajewski writes about his fellow writers and about the way we think and what moves us to create and how. I closed the book after each essay, wanting to wrap myself in his thoughts.
Leopoldo
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que muchas ideas que sostiene y defiende Zagajewski a lo largo de este libro podrían parecer cuestionables, pero muchas veces el fervor contradice a la razón pura. Se agradece la valentía de argumentar tan ardorosamente a favor de la pasión pura, del fervor no sólo poético sino de la experiencia humana, en estos tiempos de desencanto. Mis textos favoritos de este libro: en el que habla de su visita a Lvov, el de Czapski, el de Herbert y el de Milosz.
Hesham
Nov 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: polska
bland language and tedious contents except for three essays which were rather mediocre :
1-Against poetry,
2- Poetry and Doubt ,
and the last chapter 3- (Writing in Polish) by far is the best and more pertinent to what I am seeking from reading this book , wherein he expounds briefly on what are the dilemmas and metaphysical questions that have preoccupied the Poles , and on the Poles self-reflection of their identity,situation and future as it was tackled by the country intellectual and literary
Josh Skaggs
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these essays a lot. Zagajewski's main premise is that the modern artist has leaned too heavily on irony as a primary force and needs to return to ardor as his or her source. Irony should only ever be a complementary note in art, but over time it has risen to the forefront as writers have increasingly taken on a detached, critical stance toward theirs and others' work. Zagajewski opposes this with his essays, which are deeply felt (yet unaffected) and imbued with an appreciation for ...more
Lizandro Arbolay
Sin duda un gran libro, para lectores interesados en la escritura. El resto, ni se moleste.
Moses
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look into the mind of a Polish intellectual, looking at the world through a very polish lens. The things he sees and thinks about are in no way alien because of the Polishnesssimply different. This might be because of the heavy influence that the west has had on him, but I think it is more because he simply sees clearly. The "Defense of Ardor" that the eponymous essay, and, in fact, every essay in the collection is about, is a global trend, and one that many of his favorite Polish ...more
Rebekah
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking, intellectual look at the pursuit of ardor in life and writing. It challenges readers on their contentment with ordinary life and pushes them toward the pursuit of something higher. There are moments when Zagajewski seems to grow distracted by reflection on the biographical details of his personal heroes, but his point often wins out in the end. Be warned, however: this is no light reading.
jim
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, I loved the chaptes on poetry. The book is written for intellectuals and "super-readers." In other words, many people would find it a bit elitist and perhaps out of touch. But if you read a lot and are interested in poetry, then it works rather well.
Sabatowka stadnina koni
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
przeczytane, opisane tutaj: http://sabatowka.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Michael
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection of essays on poetry, intellectual Eastern Europe, and the author's encounters with writers and poets - mainly in Poland. It's a thoughtful and interesting collection.
jeff
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays
An inspiring read. Is it a shame to say that i like his essays more than his poems? Maybe just a bit, but these essays make my chest relax and make me want to read everything. Again.
Hanna
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Polish. Many re-reads ahead of me, that's for sure.
Alejandro Gamero

• Contra Amazon
  • Rewind
  • Malasangre
  • My Dog Tulip
  • El enemigo conoce el sistema
  • Tales From The Underground: A Natural History Of Subterranean Life
  • Ignorance
  • Dear Theo
  • Downfall
  • The Little Virtues
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
Adam Zagajewski is a Polish poet, novelist, translator and essayist. He was awarded the 2004 Neustadt International Prize for Literature.

The Zagajeski family was expelled from Lwów by the Ukrainians to central Poland in 1945.
In 1982 he emigrated to Paris, but in 2002 he returned to Poland, and now resides in Kraków.
His poem "Try To Praise The Mutilated World", printed in The New Yorker, became

Related Articles

“Read for yourselves, read for the sake of your inspiration, for the sweet turmoil in your lovely head. But also read against yourselves, read for questioning and impotence, for despair and erudition, read the dry sardonic remarks of cynical philosophers like Cioran or even Carl Schmitt, read newspapers, read those who despise, dismiss or simply ignore poetry and try to understand why they do it. Read your enemies, read those who reinforce your sense of what's evolving in poetry, and also read those whose darkness or malice or madness or greatness you can't understand because only in this way will you grow, outlive yourself, and become what you are.” 38 likes
“Doubt is more intelligent than poetry, insofar as it tells malicious tales about the world, things we’ve long known but struggled to hide from ourselves. But poetry surpasses doubt, pointing to what we cannot know. Doubt is narcissistic; we look at everything critically, including ourselves, and perhaps that comforts us. Poetry, on the other hand, trusts the world, and rips us from the deep-sea diving suits of our “I”; it believes in the possibility of beauty and its tragedy. Poetry’s argument with doubt has nothing in common with the facile quarrel of optimism and pessimism. The twentieth century’s great drama means that we now deal with two kinds of intellect: the resigned and the seeking, the questing. Doubt is poetry for the resigned. Whereas poetry is searching, endless wandering. Doubt is a tunnel, poetry is a spiral. Doubt prefers to shut, while poetry opens. Poetry laughs and cries, doubt ironizes. Doubt is death’s plenipotentiary, its longest and wittiest shadow; poetry runs toward an unknown goal. Why does one choose poetry while another chooses doubt? We don’t know and we’ll never find out. We don’t know why one is Cioran and the other is Milosz.” 7 likes