Start by marking “The Year of the Geek: 365 Adventures from the Sci-Fi Universe” as Want to Read:
The Year of the Geek: 365 Adventures from the Sci-Fi Universe

The Year of the Geek: 365 Adventures from the Sci-Fi Universe

The Year of the Geek is a fascinating look into geek culture. Each day will tell a different story from the sci-fi universe, from famous franchises and figures such as Star Wars, The Matrix, Peter Jackson and Luc Besson, to lesser known stories, including the French cult classic City of Lost Children, the Japanese anime Akira and bestselling German novelist, Marcus Heitz. ...more
Published October 19th 2017 by Aurum Press

To ask other readers questions about The Year of the Geek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of the Geek

Alina
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs, nerdy
This is a kind of calendar with geeky info for each of the days. Some of the facts were more interesting, some less so, but I liked that the explanations came accompanied by infographics or diagrams. Overall, interesting and fun to read.
Alena
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hrozně super nápad!
Ale...
Není ani tak knihou pro geeky, spíš pro jejich rodiče, aby pochopili svět, ve kterém se neorientují.
Některá hesla jsou pěkně zpracovaná, většina z nich je však až příliš stručná, takže se pro prohloubení znalostí bez strýčka Googla neobejdete.
Infografiky jsou fajn, ale dost často nedávají moc smysl, chybí jim popisky nebo spojují jablka a kedlubny.
Autor se zaměřuje především na filmy a komiksy, ostatní tematické celky patří spíš k těm povrchněji zpracovaným. Chuť najít p
Jillyn
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, requested
This is such a great little guide. It's the sort of a book that would make a really good Christmas gift or stocking stuffer.

As the title suggests, this book is a year long, with one page per day. Each day there's a fun little factoid. It might be an author or film star's birthday, or when a book was released, or something else like that.

Each day is written in a fun way that's educational, but without making it sound like it's a Wikipedia page or text book. The graphics are really well done. Th
Pop Bop
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Jazzy, Upbeat, Graphically Enhanced Book of Lists

I like books of lists - lists of movies, books, characters, places, events - you name it. It's fun to see what you know and what you don't know, where you've been and where you should go, what you've read and what you've missed. Well, this book is like the ultimate Geek book of lists, and the author has cast his net wide enough to interest just about anybody, not just the hardcore.

Now, if this were just a fancy thought-for-the-day style calendar
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Sam (RiverMooseReads)
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs

*I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for my honest review*

This is exactly the sort of fun, nerdy coffee table book I LOVE. All the infographics were super well made, and super interesting.

Some were a little hard to read since I was reading this on Adobe Digital Editions, so I really want to buy a hardback.

If you're into geeky, meta stuff about your fandoms, then this is for you!
Victoria
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: New Geeks.
Shelves: arc-s
If you need a primer on nerdiness, this book is the perfect choice.

Filled with cool facts from the start on a range of topics, this book taught me so much reading it and made me look up more books I want to read, more films I need to watch and a Netflix binge that is the length of which the world has never seen.

The infographics are fantastic throughout this book, the Buffy The Vampire Slayer one in particular made me really remember the percentage of the kills in the show which were Buffy’s an
Critterbee❇
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a really geeky-fun gift book. It is a bit like a calendar, in that it has geek facts for every day of the year. Each selection is explained, and often there are graphs, grids, charts and diagrams to helpfully illustrated the impact or importance of the events. The graphics are fun and well-done.

I didn't like some of the facts chosen - perhaps it was hard to find pure geekish facts for every day of the year, and I know everyone's connection with geek culture differs, but I was not interes
Kristine
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
The Year of the Geek by James Clarke is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early December.

Oh, I see what they're doing: I thought it would be a suggested watch/reading list 365 days per year, but, instead, by taking up only 110-ish pages, it's a tearaway calendar (in paged book form) of geeky tidbits to ponder on each day. It's a fine effort and very well-designed with lots of charts and diagrams, but, somehow, I expected a bit more.
Vanessa
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Are you a fan of lists and graphics? Do you like to be a know-it-all? I am and I do, so I enjoyed this very much.Nicely curated and beautifully designed - this would be a lovely gift for sci-fi/fantasy fans of all kinds.

I received an ecopy from the publishers and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Olivia Ambrose
It's a cool idea and I definitely have a list of things to check out that I hadn't heard of. The infographics are pretty cool, but I do think some of them aren't the best. Some of them are unclear or don't display the information in a way that just doesn't make sense. Still definitely fun to page through though.
K.L. Beckmeyer
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of excellent information, but mostly a lot of birthdays and death days. Would make an excellent gift for "On This Day In History" nerds, but not the majority of us. That being said, there are a few beautiful charts that make everything worth it.
Alexis
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would be a good gift for the geek in your life, or something fun to ease y0u into a large number of fandoms. The graphics are well done and fun to read. For each day that is chosen, something historic or interesting is presented about an aspect of "geek" culture. Subjects range from the typical Doctor Who and Star Trek, to information on the creator of the Hubble telescope and Alf. Information is presented in a fun and easily sharable way, and if nothing else, may help you win big on trivia ...more
Quarto Publishing Group
Tiffany Smith
Aug 10, 2018
Jo
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ideal for science fiction fans. This guide presents the interesting facts about the most popular of the sci-fi culture. From the classic of the start for the last century to today’s ouvres. Excellent book!
Stephen Evans
  • Love Lessons From Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Myth, Metaphor & Morality
  • Fan Phenomena: The Hunger Games
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • The Existential Joss Whedon: Evil and Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly and Serenity
  • Unseen: Unpublished Black History from the New York Times Photo Archives