Start by marking “Girl In Between” as Want to Read:
Girl In Between

Girl In Between

Lucy Crighton has just moved in with some gregarious housemates called Brian and Denise . . . who are her parents. She's also the proud mother of Glenda, her beloved 10-year-old . . . kelpie. And she has absolutely no interest in the dashing son of her parents' new next-door neighbour . . . well, maybe just a little.

When you're the girl in between relationships, careers an
Published May 1st 2017 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Girl In Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl In Between

Start your review of Girl In Between
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
I was drawn to the Girl in Between for the distinct Aussie flavour that is filtered throughout this debut novel. I was also in the mood for a spot of contemporary romance and a sharp comedy when I chose to read this book. Girl in Between delivered on all these aspects and I am very glad to have introduced to this debut author, who received a glowing endorsement from a fellow reviewer.

Wrapped up in this true blue Aussie tale is a coming of age novel that focu
Veronica ⭐️
Lucy is a 32 year old in betweener, in between jobs, in between boyfriends and in between cities. She’s moved back home until she can sort herself out.
Whilst always trying to choose the path that is right for her, Lucy ends up choosing no path at all. Lucy will travel half way round the world before she works out her commitment problems with both her relationships and career.

I found it hard to visualise the humour in the story unlike a movie, and I’ll quote the authors own example of Muriel’s We
Charlotte Annelise
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018-read, dnf, romance
DNF at page 80. I don't like the writing style. It's too choppy and full of pop culture. I also thought it was a bit too Australian, if that's even a criticism. Super Aussie words were included in every sentence - 'Triple J', 'tradie' and 'esky', it was too much. ...more
Sharni
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love reading debut novels and this one was perfect Sunday afternoon reading. I wasn't completely sold in the beginning but the characters won me over and before long I was laughing with and at events as they unfolded. I kind of want to move to London, work in a bookstore and read up on Cher (the quotes included in the book are hilarious) now or maybe even take a trip to Queensland...

(I won this via a social media giveaway on instagram run by Allen & Unwin)

Sue Shepherd
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
What a delightful little book. So enjoyed the Aussie flavour with all our slang and humour tossed in. You'll laugh out loud often whilst churning through the pages. You'll relate to so much that happens to these two best friends. All the characters have a depth that brings you into their world and you are cheering for them by the end. ...more
Sasha
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't hate this book. I don't finish books I hate. But I definitely had a few moments of thinking "why the fuck am I bothering with this air-head, her definitely-has-a-drinking-problem best friend, and her decidedly odd family?"
I get she is at a crossroad but seriously GET A FUCKING JOB ALREADY!!! You're in your 30s! Stop sponging of your mum and dad!
I guess I just don't have much sympathy for chicks who throw their life away over a guy.
This book was billed as "Hilarious" & "Laugh out loud".
Jenn J McLeod
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that: has relatable conflict and makes me feel for the character; is quintessentially Australian (and yet it's been sold in Germany. Way to go, Anna!); and contains some classic comedic moments (some that are truly laugh-out-loud).

I first fell in love with Anna Daniel's kirky news reports when she was a guest on The Project TV. IN fact, she has such a unique style that I found myself reading Girl In Between with Anna's 'Rockhampton brogue' - and that made the experience all the mo
Julia Durie
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know you're reading a great book when you ignore all social contact because you are so engrossed in the story.
That's what happened with Girl in Between.

The story is about Aussie girl Lucy Crighton from tropical Queensland who is figuring out what she wants from her career, love and life in general.

The story is sweet and clever, the setting is unique with great descriptions of north Queensland and London and you will laugh out loud more than once.

Few authors can truly express Australian cultu
Jan
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved Girl in Between by Anna Daniels.In an over serious world this book is like a breath of fresh air.It is exaggerated in its humour but still relatable.The characters are plausible and I particularly liked the transition to overseas destinations as well...London and Japan.
Well done to Debut Novelist,Anna Daniels,in providing us with a light hearted read set in regional Australia.Despite the humour,the characters still have depth.
I often read Crime/Fiction and Autobiographies so thi
Louise
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly delightful and made me belly laugh in places. I loved it!
Elle
#couldnotputitdown
I cannot recommend this book enough. I have never laughed out loud so much in my entire life. The characters are well rounded and very lovable, perfect book for a night in with a glass of wine! Just looking for other books by Anna Daniels, can’t wait for the next one?
Colette78
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading 'Girl in Between' by debut author Anna Daniels and I'm counting myself lucky as I usually never win anything for free that I actually enjoy, but today I can firmly say I did! This book is bursting at the seams with Aussie humour and relatable characters. It's well written, introspective in places it should be yet uplifting with fun filled stories and witty dialogue. I think the Australian Rom-Com scene is calling out for this book. It's refreshing, light-hearted and not afr ...more
Sam
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In today's global instability, Girl In Between is a timely reminder that we can safely 'laugh out loud' and appreciate our own insecurities. I was initially a bit sceptical about this book, but was proven wrong in everyway. Strong recommend, I have never read a book like this one and can only hope that Anna Daniels can continue such witty use of Australian colloquialism in future books to come. ...more
Sam Still Reading
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people looking for a book celebrating Australia in a light hearted way
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: from the publisher
Girl in Between by Anna Daniels is a love letter to many – to Australia, with its love of the Queensland landscape; to Aussie English and all its colloquialisms and to those who find themselves wondering where everything is all going. With its easily likeable heroine Lucy, this is a super fun read that crosses several countries but knows that home is where the heart is.

Lucy is in her early thirties and not quite sure how she got there. She was doing pretty well in her career until she decided to
Kate
Lucy Crighton was a successful TV producer in Melbourne with a lot of potential. She never expected to be living in her childhood bedroom again in her thirties with a robot vacuum as her alarm clock. Using the excuse of moving back in with her parents to finish writing a book and assess her next move, Lucy is stuck. As she tries to find some direction and a job which pays, Lucy navigates advice from her slightly eccentric parents, distractions in the form of her handsome new neighbour and the cr ...more
Cass Moriarty
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Girl in Between (Allen & Unwin Books 2017) is the light-hearted and entertaining debut novel by Anna Daniels - Author. You may recognise Anna’s name from her appearances on The Project, or perhaps from the hilarious train-wreck of an interview she conducted many years ago with Russell Crowe (a derivative of which appears in the book, with names changed to protect the innocent). ‘Funny’ is very hard to get right, but Anna manages to take us on a comedy romp through a rom-com narrative that is bot ...more
Josie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh this was a brilliant read and I loved it for all of it's bogan glory! (I actually read this over the course of 1 evening.)
I've been somewhat "off" chick lit for a number of years now, but this was a refreshing sidestep from my usual go to reads these days.
Largely set in Rockhampton in northern Queensland of the east coats of Australia - which in itself is a great thing - this is a coming of age tale, in your 30s!
The locations this book weaved between were all familiar to me, so this really di
Sally Anne
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read! If I recapture the essence of this book in a brief summary, I would liken it to a warmhearted, Muriel's Wedding/Castle style drop back with witty dialogue and a cast of characters which amuse and challenge you in equal measures. When I try to think of a similar Australian novel I am hard pressed to deliver. I found myself invested in the outcomes for the main character/s and related to their struggles. Simple yet poignant themes are woven throughout, and overall I can't help but loo ...more
Amelia McCallum
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fabulous read. I couldn't put it down! In fact I don't think I have ever read a book so quickly in my life! I'm 27, and I've told all my friends to grab a copy. I can't wait for the sequel Anna Daniels. Congratulations! ...more
Bookacino And
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! The sense of place and the characters are so unique, yet so relatable! If you're looking for a fun, light-hearted yet at times poignant and well-written rom-com, then this is the one for you! Brilliant debut novel! ...more
Shanayah
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
Full Review Here

Prior to receiving this book, I hadn’t heard anything about it. I read the blurb and was really excited, it sounds like a promising read. I hadn’t heard of the author before, since Girl in Between is her debut novel. Recently, I’ve been reading a lot more adult fiction than YA fiction, and this one followed similar lines to adult fiction romances, and reminded me of Sophie Kinsella’s My Not So Perfect Life, but somewhat fell a bit short for me.

The writing
Tianne Shaw
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very easy to read and quite a light hearted book of a 30plus Lucy and her dramas between jobs and finding herself again. The characters certainly have some great almost Kath and Kim type elements but an enjoyable book overall.
BookWorm
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a charming book! The carefree style and simple Aussie honesty will make you warm inside. I loved it! A book which reminds you to not take yourself too seriously.
Look forward to reading more from this author.
Victoria Kennedy
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A laugh-out-loud read that you won't be able to put down!

Having moved back in with her parents at age thirty-two, Lucy has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She doesn't know where she wants to live, what job she wants to have, and she isn't quiet ready to move on from her last relationship. All she wants to do is write her novel, go for walks with her dog Glenda, and hang out with her bestie Rosie. But with barely any money in her bank account, her parents constantly worried about her
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are a follower of Duffythewriter, you will probably guess (quite correctly) that my favourite book genre is thriller. I seek out pages full of darkness, suspense, twisted characters, and twisted plotlines. So, you might be wondering what I was doing reading The Girl In Between. Well, I also fancy myself as a bit of a joker, love nothing more than pub banter with my mates, and find myself lurching from one ridiculous social situation to another in life, so it’s this side of my life that le ...more
Amy Smolcic
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lucy Crighton is having a bit of a crossroads moment. She’s left her media career in Melbourne, had her heart put through the shredder, and she is now back in Rockhampton living with her parents. It’s not all bad news for Lucy, though she doesn’t realise it, there’s a lot of great things happening in her life — she has a wonderful family, a supportive best friend, her 10 year Kelpie Glenda, a novel that’s coming together, and you can’t forget about the neighbour's gorgeous son.

We can all relate
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Girl in Between is a light, fun look at the life of a thirty-something woman at a crossroads in her life. Set against a backdrop in Rockhampton, then Japan and England, it’s the story of a woman trying to find herself and her purpose, making mistakes and learning about life along the way.

The debut novel by Australian author, Anna Daniels, has a very distinct Aussie voice - the slang and mannerisms of the people are instantly recognisable and it is both memorable and funny. As a thirty-something
Ann-Marie
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bl**dy brilliant.
Sorry but I had to start like that.

The thing I loved most about this book was that our Aussieness is not taken out of the book. From the way we shorten names or add a ‘y’, to the special way we say things. These things make us unique and to read it all in a book without one ‘mate’ was fantastic.

Anna Daniels has written a heartwarming story about Lucy a 30 something woman who is living back home with mum and dad and her dog Glenda. Oh how I loved that dog’s name. A non traditio
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've just spent the entire day reading this and I'm happy to say it really DOES make you giggle out loud!!!

Putting it simply, it's a story about a girl named Lucy who is in her early thirties nursing heartache from a previous relationship and is questioning her next move.

It sums up and honestly reveals how a break up can be so destabilising.

Lucy seeks refuge back to her home town of Rockhampton in central queensland.
Enter now the wild and glorious best friend (Rosie) and Lucy's parents (Denis
Talking Books
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Five out of five star reading for Girl In Between by author Anna Daniels! I have not laughed out loud so much as I did reading this book! A joy to read the characters and their comical yet heartfelt moments in each of the chapters. Up there with the best book reads of the year without a doubt!
Review copy received from Allen & Unwin Australia

• The Champagne War
  • How to Be Second Best
  • The Cartographer's Secret
  • All the Hidden Truths
  • Left To Die (Alvarez & Pescoli, #1)
  • The Honeyfield Bequest (Honeyfield #1)
  • Promises, Promises