Start by marking “The Black Coats” as Want to Read:
The Black Coats

The Black Coats

Roses are read, violets are blue, if you hurt us, we’re coming for you.

The deeply secretive Black Coats have been exacting vengeance on men who hurt girls and women for years. And Thea has just received an invitation to join them. This is the opportunity she’s been waiting for to finally get justice for her cousin Natalie, whose killer went free.

Thea dives head first into
Published February 12th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Black Coats, please sign up.

Start your review of The Black Coats
Colleen Oakes
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Inspired by a black coat sitting on the road in Nebraska, grief at the death of a beloved friend and a fascination with vigilante justice, The Black Coats is a story that I've wanted to tell for a long time.

It's a story about revenge, about women saying "enough" with their fists and their words, and a secretive matriarchal society that loves both mason jars and brass knuckles.

It’s about the moral grey that exists in the lines between vengeance and revenge, justice and torture, love and grief.

I
Janani(ஜனனி)
Feb 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
"A secret society of girls who plot revenge on the men who hurt them."

me, aggressively clicking want to read button: SAY NO MORE
Whispering Stories
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

One afternoon whilst in pottery class Thea Soloman notices a black envelope address to her. Inside is instructions that lead her to another envelope and then another and eventually to a house called Mademoiselle Corday in the middle of the woods. Upon entering there are more messages and a big bloke to get past if she wants to learn why she has been invited.

The place is the home of The Black Coats, a secret organisation that passes out balancings (judgem
CC the Great is Not Okay
When I first saw this book on Goodreads and read the premise, I was hooked. I immediately added it onto one of my several wishlists. Less than two weeks after adding it, by sheer luck, I won an Advanced Reader's Copy in a contest. I thanked the book gods and I couldn't wait to dig in.

Sadly, though, I was disappointed.

I loved the idea of a vigilante group that avenged women--women who have been raped, sexually assaulted, abused, or murdered. I'm not a total advocate of vigilante justice in real l
The Nerd Daily
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Teralyn Mitchell

The line between justice and vengeance is thin and it’s easy to cross it. That is what Colleen Oakes explored in her new novel, The Black Coats. Thea Soloman is dealing with grief after losing her cousin and best friend, Natalie six months prior to the start of the story. Natalie’s killer was never brought to justice so when the Black Coats—a secret society who exact vengeance on men who hurt girls and women—send her an invitatio
Kales
If you are looking for an intense YA read with some realistic but badass heroines, this is the novel you should pick up in February. It's a cross between the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter and THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis.

This is a web of a book with multiple layers that I couldn't see coming. It had a plot that weaved and bobbed. Because one minute you think you are reading a book about grief and then a secret vigilante society gets thrown in and then there is an adorable
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
*top 10 disappointing reads of 2019*
*top 10 worst reads of 2019*
*Not as fast paced as it ought to be
*Not gripping as it should be
*The characters are not convincing enough
*The plot is somehow flat as it should have been gripping
The only highlight of the book is the possible romance of the main protagonist, Thea and Crew, her schoolmate.
As per the first few pages of the book, I thought it would be a gripping story talking about revenge regarding the injustices done to the women as a whole.
Yes, th
Sana Zameer
I tried so hard to like this book. The concept was interesting and it has a good plot, but it's the writing and the execution that was a let down. The pacing was very slow which didn't suit the vigilante justice theme and the writing was flat boring. It should have been fast paced and gripping, instead the monotonous prose and under developed characters made me nearly dump it. And I didn't get the connection between Thea and Drew. I could have been much better if the writing was upbeat and the a ...more
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

The Black Coats is a Young Adult contemporary novel set in Austin, Texas.

The book is divided into two parts. The narrator is Thea (3rd person POV).

The story is about a secret group of women called The Black Coats. They go after men who have hurt women.

Thea is a high school student. She experienced a tragedy and now she has been invited to join this secret group.

This book features some romance. The story was interesting and different.

I really enjoyed the group dynamics in Thea's Black
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you HarperTeen for the free (gifted) review copy in exchange for an honest review!

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault, and violence.

The Black Coats is an organization that exacts revenge on the men who have hurt women and have gotten away with it. I was absolutely intrigued with the idea behind this book. I wanted to know how the author would execute this idea, and whether it would be as intriguing as I hoped.

I was hooked the first half of the book. The writing was pretty good, and I liked get
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT. I finished almost in one sitting

*I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for honest review. Review to come*
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
The Black Coats is a secret society of women who plot and execute revenge on men who have hurt them or other women and girls in their lives to teach them a lesson and get even. Could this sound any more awesome?!? The book is dark, and secretive and chock full of girl power. It's a fast-paced, action-filled examination of revenge and what lengths some will go to attain it.

Thea is still reeling from the murder of her cousin Natalie. Her family struggles, her days go by in a haze and she's despera
Cindy ✩☽♔
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
"Roses are read, violets are blue, if you hurt us, we’re coming for you."

Well I'm sold lol
Shelley
*Source* Publisher via Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult, Contemporary
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

The Black Coats, by author Colleen Oakes, is inspired by a black coat sitting on the road in Nebraska, grief at the death of a beloved friend and the authors fascination with vigilante justice. It is a story about a group of women who take the law into their own hands and seek vengeance against those, mostly men, who have wronged a woman in ways that include murder, and rape. It's a story about the necessity o
Heidi Goehmann
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
The question that comes to mind as I read this book is: What if women got tired of perpetually asking themselves, “Is this safe?” or What is we wanted better for our daughters? This is a fun and adventurous read for teens. It asks hard questions about the morally grey of life with lovably imperfect characters, hard ass characters, and characters I would not want to meet up with...ever. The imagery and imagination crafted in each scene of this book made me want to jump on a plane to Austin, as we ...more
Anna Eklund
Holy hell. Review to come when I can word again. I need to go hold this close for a bit.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Review Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

**** Thank you to HarperTeen for providing me with a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review ****

**** Trigger Warnings: Sexual Assault (Occurs Off-Page), Abuse, Murder, and Violence ****

I can’t believe more people haven’t added this book yet, it seems to be flying under the radar and it definitely deserves more attention! I mean it’s about a vigilante group of women who get revenge on men (and sometimes other women) who mistreat women
Rachel
May 10, 2019 added it
DNF 50%

I think this is a case of a great concept that just needed more.

When I read the description, I had it in my head that this would be set in a different time period. I'm not sure why, but going into it, I thought we were going to see some badass Victorian ladies kicking ass or some WWI era teens taking a stand for their rights. So I was a little disappointed to find this set in modern times. But that's on me.

The story starts with a prologue which is the only action we will see for a long
Emily (emilykatereads)
This is a powerful story about getting justice for women for the times they’ve been hurt by men. The times the law didn’t fairly punish and let a criminal walk free with barely a slap on the wrist. A story about the women who’ve been victims and have to suffer alone while their abuser walks free of any punishment.

But when does that justice become vengeance?

This book covers the morally grey area and explores this topic as our protagonist is initiated into the secret society of the Black Coats du
Caro Reads
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If this book is not yet on your radar or on your TBR, it needs to be! Hands down 5/5 stars for The Black Coats by Colleen Oakes because ZOMG! This book comes out next month and if you appreciate vigilante justice and feminist kickassedness, then you need to preorder immediately. Brutal, rich, angry, necessary. A reminder that no matter who we are, where we come from, what our social status is... as women we are likely to have trauma in common. So joining together and holding each other up INSTEA ...more
ThatBookGal
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
You can view my full review here!

The premise of The Black Coats stood out to me immediately. In a world where #MeToo is seeing more and more women speak up against the wrongs that have been carried out against them, I just cant get enough of books featuring strong, independent young women. Beautifully written, I couldn’t put The Black Coats down.
Ricky
Trigger warnings for this book: rape, sexual assault and allusions/accusations thereof, racism, death of a loved one.

Picking up this next book from Colleen Oakes in ARC form at work, I expected it to be a rewrite of her Peter Pan-themed fantasy retelling just like Queen of Hearts and sequels were rewrites of a previous self-published project. But no, instead she gives us a pretty high-stakes - and pretty accidentally relevant, since it was written several years ago before #MeToo became so promin
Shyla
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to win this from a giveaway. I want to thank Harper Teen for providing me with this arc.

First thoughts: The epilogue blew me away and made me want to read further.

After reading further: The writing was hard to adjust to but after about 70 pages I really started to love this story. I became extremely attached to the main character Thea. I also started to really like the other girls in this story. At first, they were just side characters but they slowly became really important.
Jennie
This was gloriously readable and I stayed up way too late last night trying unsuccessfully to finish it. A secret society of women made to fuck up men who fuck up women? Uh yeah, sign me up for that. My only complaint is that it's billed as look at justice vs. revenge and I think it could have gone deeper on that. There are characters who think one way and characters who think another, but I would have liked to see the gray areas examined a bit more closely. Still, that's being pretty picky abou ...more
McKenzi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I even start?!? I loved this book so much!!! There wasn’t a dull moment for me! I enjoyed getting to know Thea and the rest of Team Banner (who I quickly fell in love with.) Drew was perfection and who can forget Nixon and Sahil? The ending was so action packed and filled with surprises and then that epilogue blew me away!
Jenny
Mar 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holy fuck, holy actual fuck, what did I just read? How did this book take such an incredible nosedive from potentially good to absolutely awful? I really don't know, but the least I can do is give you my long-ass rant about how much I disliked this book. Please, grab a snack or a drink or both, this is going to take awhile.

First off, let me elaborate on what I originally stated. When I said, "potentially good," I meant that when I got to about the halfway mark, I was thinking this was going to b
Grace 📚the bookish ocelot📚
This book had so much potential. A book about a group of teenage vigilantes who wreak vengeance upon the men who hurt them? While wearing stylish black coats? I had the book downloading before I finished reading the blurb.

Five reading sessions and 340 pages later, I felt like a birthday balloon that had been left outside for four days and bleached by the sun, slowly sinking to the ground in sadness. Deflated. Disappointed.

I got less than what I was hoping for. I got the training sequences, the
❅☤ Luca
— 4.5 / 5 stars ✨ —
Jackie (faerytalereader)
A powerful, relevant, and timely concept that tragically didn’t reach its full potential.
I’ll start with this: As much as I'm about to criticize it, The Black Coats wasn’t a bad book. The problem is I had such high hopes for a book about a secret society of women vigilantes who punish men who have slipped through the cracks of justice... I can help feeling disappointed.

The Good:
The details and description was beautiful and intriguing. Character introspection was believable and had a good balanc
Nikki S
Whoa. I was NOT expecting to love this one as much as I did! Real review to come!

**EDIT 02/28/19**

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

I'm going to be honest here and say I almost didn't read this. I read Oakes' debut and let me just tell you, it wasn't my favorite. I added this one to my TBR just because I really liked the cover. I ended up picking it up because I found out it was set in my home state. And the rest is history.

Thea's cousin was the victim of a terri
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Angel Thieves
  • Barely Missing Everything
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Gut Check
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Forward Me Back To You
  • XL
  • Zimmer 19: Thriller (Tom Babylon-Serie 2)
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • The Waning Age
  • The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • Draussen
  • If You're Out There
  • Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
  • Internment
  • Eight Will Fall
Colleen Oakes is the bestselling author of books for both teens and adults, including The Black Coats, Queen of Hearts Series, and The Wendy Darling Saga. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling or immersing herself in nerdy pop culture.

She currently at work on her third YA fairytale series, a YA thriller