Start by marking “The Black Coats” as Want to Read:

The Black Coats

Roses are read, violets are blue, if you hurt us, we’re coming for you.

The deeply secretive Black Coats have been exacting vengeance on men who hurt girls and women for years. And Thea has just received an invitation to join them. This is the opportunity she’s been waiting for to finally get justice for her cousin Natalie, whose killer went free.

Thea dives head first into
Expected publication: February 12th 2019 by HarperTeen

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 12, 2019
    We cordially invite you to join The Black Coats, a secret society of girls enacting revenge on the guys who hurt them.

Enter to win an advance copy!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1618 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 01 - Jan 29, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Black Coats, please sign up.

Colleen Oakes
    Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    Inspired by a black coat sitting on the road in Nebraska, grief at the death of a beloved friend and a fascination with vigilante justice, The Black Coats is a story that I've wanted to tell for a long time.

It's a story about revenge, about women saying "enough" with both their fists and their words, and a secretive matriarchal society that loves both mason jars and brass knuckles.
    rachel
    Nov 07, 2018 marked it as 2019-tbr
    this is one of the most horrific covers i've ever seen. who approved that colour scheme??
    Heidi Goehmann
    Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: ya
    The question that comes to mind as I read this book is: What if women got tired of perpetually asking themselves, “Is this safe?” or What is we wanted better for our daughters? This is a fun and adventurous read for teens. It asks hard questions about the morally grey of life with lovably imperfect characters, hard ass characters, and characters I would not want to meet up with...ever. The imagery and imagination crafted in each scene of this book made me want to jump on a plane to Austin, as we ...more
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    "Roses are read, violets are blue, if you hurt us, we’re coming for you."

Well I'm sold lol
    Anna Eklund
    Holy hell. Review to come when I can word again. I need to go hold this close for a bit.
    Kales
    If you are looking for an intense YA read with some realistic but badass heroines, this is the novel you should pick up in February. It's a cross between the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter and THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis.

This is a web of a book with multiple layers that I couldn't see coming. It had a plot that weaved and bobbed. Because one minute you think you are reading a book about grief and then a secret vigilante society gets thrown in and then there is an adorable
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    Sep 02, 2018 marked it as arcs-physical

Arc received from the publisher via Keplers for an honest review. [ releases: February 26 2019.]
    NerdyBookishBeauty
    Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
    RTC
    Gillian
    Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First and foremost, I just want to say how necessary this book is at this time. Violence and harassment against women has been finally coming to light and people are speaking out about it. This book takes a difficult subject and makes it real. I was blown away by how, not only well written, but how relatable Colleen Oakes made her characters.

Thea starts out heartbroken over the murder of her best friend and cousin, Natalie. When s
    Brittany
    Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: teen
    This was thrilling and full of adventure and unlike anything I've ever read before. Thea and the Black Coats were fierce and willing to do just about anything to achieve justice. I loved the way this group of girls with little in common besides their scarred backgrounds banded together and became something more. I thought the action and willingness to stop at just about nothing went a bit far sometimes - to the point where I had to remind myself this wasn't fantasy - but I still appreciated the ...more
    Edgar Anna Poe
    Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I laughed, I cried, I shivered and felt every loss closer. Holy cow, I can’t express how good this book was. I’ve read 6 (now 7) books from Colleen and it amazes me how each one is SO good in its own way. This is amazing. Thanks Colleen, for everything 💛
    Lydia
    Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This book is very relevant to the reality of the world we live in. Or maybe it’s just in America where certain men of power seem to be overstepping their boundaries? Thea is a very strong female character and I really enjoyed the idea of the Black Coats.
    Julie
    Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
    Interesting story about grief and love and friendship. I enjoyed the girls relationship more than the romance. I would like to know more about Nixon and Robin. Great story about revenge to those that have done something wrong.
    Caro Herrera
    Jan 10, 2019
    Trisha
    Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
    Nice portrayal of female friendships. Interesting idea.
    Klaudyna Szarafinski
    rated it did not like it
    Oct 23, 2018
    Ruben
    Nov 23, 2018
    VictoriaMermaidCaveBooks
    Aug 04, 2018
    Stephanie Spagnuolo
    Sep 09, 2018
    Fer Bañuelos (myownlittlebookshelf)
    Colleen freaking Oakes tiene un nuevo libro que sale el año que viene.
    Esta de más decir que ya está preordenado.
    Noito
    Iany Mcgrawn
    Nov 23, 2018
    Breanna
    Oct 05, 2018
    Colleen Oakes is the bestselling author of books for both teens and adults, including The Queen of Hearts Series, The Wendy Darling Saga and the upcoming YA novel The Black Coats. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son and surrounds herself with the most lovely family and friends imaginable. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling or immersing h ...more