Start by marking “MJ-12: Shadows (MAJESTIC-12 #2)” as Want to Read:
MJ-12: Shadows (MAJESTIC-12 #2)

MJ-12: Shadows

(MAJESTIC-12 #2)

It's 1949, and the Cold War is heating up across the world. Operating in the shadows, the Variants―once ordinary US citizens, but now imbued with strange paranormal abilities and corralled into covert service by the government’s top secret MAJESTIC-12 program―find themselves on the front lines of an international crisis.

In Syria, Variant agents have been sent to support a
Published September 5th 2017 by Night Shade Books

To ask other readers questions about MJ-12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MJ-12

Start your review of MJ-12: Shadows (MAJESTIC-12 #2)
Chris Berko
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The powers these characters have Enhance (capitalized on purpose) the story, they are not the reason for it. We get to see and experience human responses to these gifts and while everyone responds in a different manner, those responses do evolve over the course of the story. While watching the recent Suicide Squad movie, which I ended up disliking immensely, I was bored stiff at the script which seemed to have specific scenes written for something each of the characters specialized in. I thought ...more
Beth Cato
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, science, superhero
This is a rare, wonderful instance of the second book being better than the (very awesome) first. Martinez masterfully develops his Cold War 1949 with superpowered American "Variants" facing off against like-gifted Soviet agents on the world stage. He doesn't need a lot of time for set-up; the book zooms from page one. I really appreciated his exploration of politics and settings of that time period that I am ignorant of--particularly Syria. Beneath all of action and political suspense, there is ...more
Luther Siler
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The short version: possibly Martinez' best work to date, and a superb second installment on the series.

See my full review at https://infinitefreetime.com/2017/08/...
D. Palmer
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a blast from start to finish. Spy-versus-spy action, superpowers creative enough to headline a graphic novel series, and political maneuvering both dramatic and realistic. The research and attention to detail is palpable as Martinez skillfully intercalates his Variants into the DNA of the Cold War alongside real historical figures and events.
Michael Cook
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

MJ-12: Shadows improves on the foundations laid out in MJ-12: Inception in every way and ultimately ends up being even better than the first book was. The characters are developed in ways that are emotionally true to who they are and narratively interesting and relevant, the plot is expanded in ways that are both surprising and completely logical, and the alternate history elements are managed with continued grace and knowledge.
Karen Ford
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This sequel - part of a trilogy but I'm hoping for more - follows the United States' secret project to train their superhumans - called Variants - in the beginning of the Cold War. Several of them are sent to Syria to assist in setting up a West-friendly government and keep the Soviets from establishing a base in the Mediterranean. Their mission is complicated by the arrival of Soviet versions of Variants and a plan to kidnap the Americans and take them back to Russia. There is also trouble brew ...more
Jack Stubblefield
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The story and the action really ramp up in #2 of this series. It also has the feel of the 2nd act of a trilogy. Once I became committed to the various characters, the book was an easy read. Enjoy the intermittent government documents in the story. Such a nice touch knowing the origins of The Majestic-12 conspiracy theory. Not bad stuff, Maynard.
Alison
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable sequel to the first book. Lots of political intrigue and interesting new Variants, and the Variants from the first book are more comfortable in their powers. Looking forward to the next book!
John R. Dailey Jr.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE SUPED UP SPIES ARE AT IT AGAIN THEY ARE.....

Hello, the first book was great but I think the second book may have been a little bit better. Hard to believe, I know, but I tell you for true. Damn fine stuff. Thanks. Where's the next Damn book.
Susan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this series. I really enjoy how he blends the Variants and real historical characters. Excellent pace and plot. More, please!
Peter Anderson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martinez nails that difficult second book in this series
Robert
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MJ-12 Shadows review
In the first MJ-12 book, Michael J Martinez introduced us to a post-World War II world where humans
with super-human abilities were starting to emerge. A number of these Variants were recruited by the
US government to help out in the Cold War era with missions of spying and espionage.
In MJ-12: Shadows, those Variants are back as well as a few new ones.
One thing Martinez does well is blend the historical and the fantastical together nearly seamlessly.
The way the fictional Va
Jan 10, 2018
Gary Furash
Sep 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Burn Cycle (Cry Pilot #2)
  • Feedback
  • Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • Anomaly
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Fury From the Tomb
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • The Peculiar (The Peculiar, #1)
  • Flex ('Mancer, #1)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Beast of Nightfall Lodge
  • Delta-V
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Light Years
  • The Iron Ghost (The Copper Cat, #2)
  • The Copper Promise (The Copper Cat, #1)
  • Nightwise (Nightwise, #1)
I’m a husband, father and writer living the dream in the Garden State. I’ve spent nearly 20 years as a professional writer and journalist, including stints at The Associated Press and ABCNEWS.com. After telling other people’s stories for the bulk of my career, I’m happy that I can now be telling a few of my own creation.

When not being a husband, parent or writer, I enjoy beer and homebrewing, cook

MAJESTIC-12 (3 books)
  • MJ-12: Inception (MAJESTIC-12 #1)
  • MJ-12: Endgame (MAJESTIC-12 #3)