Start by marking “Short & Skinny” as Want to Read:
Short & Skinny

Short & Skinny

New from syndicated comic strip artist Mark Tatulli comes a full-color middle grade graphic novel that centers on Mark's own experience in the summer after seventh grade.

As a middle schooler, Mark finds himself on the smaller side of the physical spectrum--being short AND skinny has really wreaked havoc on his confidence. So to end his bullying woes and get the girl--or at
Published October 23rd 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Short & Skinny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short & Skinny

Evan
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was a good book i really liked it i liked this comic and the full book
Meag McKeron
The graphic novel world is full of realistic stories about girls and middle school - Roller Girl, Real Friends, anything Raina Telgemeir - but I have a hard time finding good recommendations featuring boys navigating the many social and emotional pressures of middle school. I hope Short & Skinny is a sign of more to come. It hits on a lot of middle-school-boy-problems - body insecurities and bullying being the main ones, but also embracing your talents and surrounding yourself with good frie ...more
Stefanie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this graphic novel! Such a great message for kids about being true to yourself.
Penny
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Eh.. can you just be whelm?

The graphics were good, but I didn't get the humor, and all the complaining was bothering me, I've always been fat and I still couldn't connect with this kid.

This felt a bit like the TV show The Goldbergs a story about a nerdy small kid that loves to make films, only thing is that I like that one, and with this, eh, I was just bored and wishing that he really made a compelling exiting story like he dreamed.
Mr. White
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Confidence! It doesn't just come from the gym. Sometimes it comes in ballet slippers. Or fixing car engines. Even making movies. Confidence Tatulli. Then you can do anything. See you in school."
SABRINA LEMMON
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute graphic novel about learning to accept yourself!
Kaitlyn
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute one. <3
Amy Pickett
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Oh, slop! It’s the summer of 1977, and 12-year old aspiring cartoonist Mark Tatulli has had it with being short and skinny. In a last-ditch attempt to bulk up, Mark orders a bodybuilding kit that's advertised in the back of a comic book. Maybe by the beginning of eighth grade he’ll have the height, muscles, and confidence to talk to his crush, Lisa Gorman. 1977 is also the summer of Star Wars, and Mark is inspired by the game-changing movie. Mark Tatulli’s vivid artwork perfectly depicts the 197 ...more
Ms. Yingling
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Public library copy

Mark is 4'7" in middle school, and takes his share of abuse in the hallways, although he has some friends. As summer approaches, he is bound and determined to put on some weight and muscles, and sends off for many aides found in the back of a comic book. (But no sea monkeys. Drat!) He has a cool bike that takes him all over town, and when the original Star Wars movie premiers in May of 1977, he and his friends are there at the local theatre, waiting in line. His brother and si
A.
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I get that this would be a fun read for some kids who like funny, graphic memoirs. But it's set in the 1970s, and the author/protagonist is a white, suburban boy, and the author and editors just haven't done enough to either reflect on or cull out the casual racism and sexism of the time.

The book is about Mark Tatulli's middle school years when he was short and skinny (hence the name) and didn't get a lot of respect from his male peers or much attention from the young women he wanted to impress
tony dillard jr
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was born in 1977. As a result, I am addicted to anything from that turning point year in pop culture history. Short and Skinny is the true story of how a certain movie from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away forever changed the life of junior high school student Mark Tatulli.

When the story opens, it's the last few days of the 1976-77 school year. Mark is the next-to-shortest kid in school. Lacking confidence and muscle mass, he's the target of bullies and ridicule from even the closet o
Becky B
A graphic novel autobiography of the author's middle school years when he felt insecure about his body shape and stature, but found confidence through making a movie spoof of the newly released Star Wars.

These graphic novel autobiographies are insanely popular with the middle grade crowd right now, and Tatulli's book adds fills a much-needed gap. He's the first guy to write such a book. Though the book takes place mostly during the summer of 1977, the themes of insecurity and discovering your un
Arminzerella
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

It is 1977 and Star Wars is ready to hit the theaters. Mark is in the market for a get rich quick scheme, so he tries to use an ad, which ultimately turns out to be a scam. After seeing Star Wars, Mark's life is completely turned around and he decides that he wants to make movies too. Using family and friends, mark sets off to make the next best parody film yet.

I know that this book was funny and that the illustrations were
Teresa Bateman
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I got an ARC of this graphic novel, so the illustrations were all in black and white. Color illustrations would pop this up a star. In a plot that would please "The Goldbergs" fans, Tatulli recalls 1977. Middle school is painful, but especially so if you are a scrawny short kid in the middle of guys who are starting to bulk up. A summer goal to get muscles fails horribly, but a project to create his own satire of "Star Wars," while fraught with problems, is his salvation. This is a delightful me ...more
Paula
I'm really enjoying the graphic novel memoirs I've read lately and this offering from comic strip writer/artist, animator and television producer, Mark Tatulli was a fun read. Set in the summer of 1977, Mark is a short and skinny kid who is the victim of bullying. He gets the idea to bulk up over summer vacation and then he sees the movie STAR WARS and everything changes. He's on a quest to make his own version and must overcome some big hurdles to make it happen. Anyone who grew up when STAR WA ...more
Bonnie Grover
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student
Thank you #BookPosse for the chance to read an early edition of this book. It’s a graphic novel about a middle school boy growing up in the 70’s. I think grownups and kids will find lots of connections in this story. Marc is a short, skinny kid who dreams of being a stronger, bigger kid who can deal with bullies. Throughout this book we watch Marc taking chances and facing disappointments. You will fall in love with Marc and his friends as they engage in summer adventures. I hope there are more ...more
Paul
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told with great humor and touching honesty, Short & Skinny is a memorable graphic novel that any kid can gain inspiration from. Tatulli’s drawings don’t stick to the any one panel organization, but break out all over the page. Full of expression and color, this is one that I honestly loved.

Recommended!

For the full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2018/12/28/fr...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog/
Dreaday
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was pretty cute, and I like that the gym teacher was so understanding about confidence coming from a lot of different places. There were some good jokes, too, and the illustrations were fun. I’m not a boy and I didn’t/don’t really know a lot of middle school boys, so I’m not sure how this will be received when it comes out. It’ll be hard to sell to girls, but I can imagine self-conscious boys seeing themselves in the protagonist’s shoes. Didn’t resonate a ton with me, but I’m an unusually t ...more
Casey Jo
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I mean, it's another story about a dweeby white boy finding connection in Star Wars, which is both a trope in media and historical fiction for its middle grade audience. What this book has going for it, is that this kid actually made a MAD Magazine-style spoof of the movie. In an era where he had to worry about literally running out of film, no less. Plus the tale of growing body acceptance is most welcome, instead of the more common self-deprecation. A super fun read!
Sj
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Middle school can be difficult. For Mark Tatulli, being the short and skinny kid came with a lot of problems. Nicknames, bullies, and awkward moments with crushes made Tatulli's middle school experience difficult for him. Despite that, he had a lot of great moments. One of my favorite parts is how he portrayed people watching Star Wars. I think it was so accurate and creative. I love these graphic memoirs because I learn about so many people that I would never know about.
Gene Macy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great book. I didn’t realize until I’d seen more about it, that it was an autobiography. One think I thought was interesting about it, and that I Aldo like for book types, is it was a graphic novel, so if you’re a reluctant reader, especially of books based on true stories, but don’t mind graphic novels, I’d highly recommend it. I’d also recommend it, to any Star Wars fans, or anyone who’s ever felt like a misfit in school.
Kristen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This middle grade graphic is autobiographical and takes place during the seventies, so I really identified with the time period. There's a strong Star Wars tie-in, and being old enough to have seen Star Wars when it was first released in theaters, I enjoyed that part of the story as well. The art is clear, colorful and reads easily. Stories about square pegs finding a way to fit in while being true to themselves is always a winner with my students. I'm sure this will be frequently circulated.
Robin
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the author of one of my favorite comics publishes a memoir, of course I'm going to want to read it. And, of course, since the author is close to my own age, I loved his devotion to Star Wars and enjoyed this story very much. Mark Tatulli reveals a few things about himself, most especially his love for the first George Lucas film and how he challenged himself to create a parody film. This is a throwback to simpler times and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kinsey
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny and heartfelt story that reminded me so much of being that age. Mark's summer was similar to how I would send my summer days in middle school (except Star Wars didn't come out then). I love how the characters related to Star Wars and bonded with each other through that shared feeling. Mark as a character also reminded me a lot of my younger brother. Great story with colorful artwork that I think kids and kids-at-heart will enjoy
Rebecca Ann
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think that this book has its audience, much like captain underpants and Big Nate. That audience is very much not me. There are some very offensive jokes/insults in this series that just seemed unnecessary to me, even if they really happened in the author's life. If they were necessary, this would have to be a very different kind of book.
Angie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark is short and skinny and gets picked on. When Star Wars comes out he becomes obsessed and writes a parody movie. He gets his friends and family to star in it and it gets shown in his town. There are friend issues, girl problems and family fun times.

A realistic graphic novel with a male as the main character! Reminded me of the memoirs by Raina Telegemeier. Great fun and it is about boys! We are always looking for good graphic novels for boys and there aren't that many realistic ones.
Kris
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another terrific graphic memoir. This genre is really booming lately and I appreciate it. I loved reading about young Mark's adoration of his bicycle, his feeling of belonging upon seeing Star Wars, and watching him make that epic movie! Plus his bully notes and dread of summer swim team were so spot on. Great comics and a wonderful capture of the time.
Hanna
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this illustrations a lot. I felt like the main plot didn't really get started until half way through the book. I don't think I will be purchasing for my library- seems a bit mature for elementary and a memoir set in the 70s doesn't seem like something my students will pick up- although Sunny Side Up proves that theory wrong.
Christopher Lamar
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it talks about a boy who is short & skinny and how he was was being bullied because of his size and how he is trying to impress the girl of his dreams. But when he finds an advertisment from in his comic book his life changes, so he decides to become buff and wants to create a movie from star wars. Thats where his summer began to change.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Stone Cold Age (Lucy & Andy Neanderthal, #2)
  • Feathers
  • Bolivar
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Lafayette! (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #8)
  • Lost Soul, Be At Peace
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn in the Magic Storm (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #6)
  • Adventure Time: The Flip Side
  • Cosmic Commandos
  • Adventure Time: Bitter Sweets (Adventure Time OGN, #4)
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Sparks!
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Dam Keeper: World Without Darkness (Dam Keeper, #2)
  • The Great Big Boom (HiLo, #3)
Mark Tatulli is a comic artist and film maker, mostly known for his dark comedic newspaper strip Liō. He is the recipient of three Emmy Awards. He works for Banyan Productions. He lives in New Jersey with his wife and children.