Jump to ratings and reviews

Beauty of the Beast

Experience the world’s most enchanting and timeless love story—retold with a dark and realistic twist.

A BEAST LIVING IN THE SHADOW OF HIS PAST

Reclusive and severely scarred Prince Adam Delacroix has remained hidden inside a secluded, decrepit castle ever since he witnessed his family’s brutal massacre. Cloaked in shadow, with only the lamentations of past ghosts for company, he has abandoned all hope, allowing the world to believe he died on that tragic eve twenty-five years ago.

A BEAUTY IN PURSUIT OF A BETTER FUTURE

Caught in a fierce snowstorm, beautiful and strong-willed Isabelle Rose seeks shelter at a castle—unaware that its beastly and disfigured master is much more than he appears to be. When he imprisons her gravely ill and blind father, she bravely offers herself in his place.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Stripped of his emotional defenses, Adam’s humanity reawakens as he encounters a kindred soul in Isabelle. Together they will wade through darkness and discover beauty and passion in the most unlikely of places. But when a monster from Isabelle’s former life threatens their new love, Demrov’s forgotten prince must emerge from his shadows and face the world once more…

Perfect for fans of Beauty and the Beast and The Phantom of the Opera, Beauty of the Beast brings a familiar and well-loved fairy tale to life with a rich setting in the kingdom of Demrov and a captivating, Gothic voice.

* * *

Beauty of the Beast is the first standalone installment in a series of classic fairy tales reimagined with a dark and realistic twist.

* * *

Disclaimer: This is an edgy, historical romance retelling of the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. Due to strong sexual content, profanity, and dark subject matter, including an instance of sexual assault committed by the villain, Beauty of the Beast is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

Beauty of the Beast is a slow-burn romance that features a descriptive, richly detailed, and atmospheric writing style.

342 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 15, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rachel L. Demeter

5 books478 followers
Thank you for stopping by my Goodreads page!

I live in the beautiful hills of Anaheim, California with Teddy, my goofy lowland sheepdog, and my adorable snake Nagini. (GO Slytherins!) I enjoy writing poignant romances that challenge the reader’s emotions and explore the redeeming power of love. My stories are darker than most traditional romance novels and contain a distinct Gothic flavor.

Imagining dynamic worlds and characters has been my passion for longer than I can remember. Before learning how to read or write, I would dictate stories while my mom would jot them down for me. I hold a special affinity for the tortured hero and unconventional romances. Whether crafting the protagonist or antagonist, I ensure every character is given a soul.

I endeavor to defy conventions by blending elements of romance, suspense, and horror. Some themes my stories never stray too far from: forbidden romance, soul mates, the power of love to redeem, mend all wounds, and triumph over darkness.

My dream is to move readers and leave an emotional impact through my words. ♥

Don't be a stranger! I cherish my readers, and I absolutely love to connect and interact:

Official Site | Facebook Page | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Google+ | Amazon Author Page

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 506 reviews
March 14, 2017
5 Little Prince Stars

photo 0af9bdebfd542b4383e8bdc7180eb727_zps21xzs5eq.gif

This is my first time reading Rachel L. Demeter and I freaking loved it! I fell in love with Beauty and The Beast as a little girl when I seen the Walt Disney movie for the first time. I guess it was my first taste of damaged, scarred bad boys. There is just something so beautiful about seeing past the surface and finding true love no matter the flaws. Plus beast gives Belle a whole library and what woman could resist a man that gives you a whole room full of books! So I try to get my hands on every retelling I come across.

photo 19285042._SX540__zpsexhnvdb0.jpg

Beauty of the Beast was a great retelling of the classic. I felt it was like a cross between Beauty and the beast, phantom of the opera, and maybe a touch of Cinderella thrown in there. I love that instead of Adam, the beast, being a magical cursed beast he was just severely scarred. Adam's backstory was a heartbreaking and dark one. Seeing what he lived through at the age of 11 got me right in the feels! My heart bled for Adam and I fell in love with him too. Isabelle was easy to love. She had such a bright spirit. She loved her father and was loyal to her step sisters even though they were worthless and didn't deserve her loyalty. She was caring and had a good heart. She was a perfect Belle.

photo 20189345_zpsctlt2o6i.gif

Adam and Isabelle were adorable together. There was such a sweet build up to their love that it felt natural and real. I loved how because there is no magic in this that Adam doesn't magically because handsome. Isabelle truly loves him scars and all. I felt Rachel L. Demeter did a great job of writing a complex and multifaceted villain. Raphael was evil but his character was so well developed that I could understand why he was evil and though I hated him I at times felt sorry for all he had lived through too. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end and I loved the epilogue. It had everything I adore about the classic Beauty and the Beast with just enough difference to still feel new. Beauty of the Beast was a wonderful read and I would recommend it to anyone who loves Beauty and the Beast!

photo pizap.com14581736027301_zpsmx136xsl.jpg

Profile Image for Katie.
334 reviews113 followers
March 20, 2017
5++ enchanting stars
description
"If I'm a monster, mademoiselle, it's because man's cruelty has made me so."
description

This book is so beyond anything I could have ever expected. The author recreated the original Beauty and the Beast story with a sexy and dark edge and I completely LOVED it.

Rachel L. Demeter's writing is just beautiful. So beautiful, in fact,my kindle is literally FILLED with highlights.

description
Here are some of my favorite quotes, character and scene descriptions:

"Adam was a flesh-and-blood enigma, a beautiful master that she ached to unravel. His music was enough to leave her breathless- and his refined mannerisms and the innate way he held and asserted himself reaffirmed that cultured upbringing"
description

"Winter melted into spring, and along with it, the icicles that had clung to Adam's heart deftly fell away like shackles"
description

"For so long, I've lived as if I'd died. I've forgotten how it feels to be alive, to breath fresh air and feel the sun on my face."
description

"Everything seemed to fade away while the heat of their bodies mingled as one. Her heart banged against her ribs as she sought the depths of his eyes. At this range, flicks of gold contrasted against his sky-blue irises. Much of the sadness seemed to have vanished, leaving an almost boyish delight in its wake"

description

I highly recommend this book to ANYONE and EVERYONE who enjoys a good romance novel that toys with your emotions and leaves you with a shit-eating grin on your face after every page.

W3Schools
Profile Image for Nicola.
1,393 reviews244 followers
4.5 stars.

Based on one of my favourite fairytales, Beauty of the Beast is a darker wonderful retelling of the classic with a Phantom of the Opera feel and, whilst there are naturally similarities, it's very much it's own story centralised around strong characters.

description

Rachel L. Demeter is a new author to me and her storytelling kept me gripped from start to finish: Adam and Isabelle quickly worked their way into my heart, breaking it along the way and piecing it back together.

"You must stay here as my mistress. For as long as I demand. Perhaps forever."

Isabelle Rose is a lot of Belle and a little bit Cinders, focussed on her ailing father whilst trying to ignore her shallow, greedy step-sisters. But it's what she experiences before meeting Adam that shows her strength and whilst this is very much the darker element, it's pivotal to both hers and the overall story and Rachel has handled it with sensitivity. Needless to say I loved Isabelle, for her heart and her strong-willed determination despite her experiences. Prince Adam Delacroix is a contradiction of himself and for someone who is withdrawn and living his life as a recluse, he has a strong, confident presence, yet underneath is the more vulnerable, tormented but gentle, thoughtful man that you would expect.

"I’ve done things I don’t expect forgiveness for, Isabelle. But being with you... It makes me yearn to be a greater man."

I adored this couple together from the moment they met and, as the focus is completely on them for a large part of the book, we go through every step of their relationship with them, from the hate and the fight, to the walls around their hearts beginning to crumble and them beginning to beat for one another.

"...who has been here for you in your hours of darkness?"

Being book one in the Fairytale Retellings series, I'm very much looking forward to seeing which favourite Rachel L. Demeter brings us next and the twists she creates.

Copy received courtesy of IndieSage PR for an honest and unbiased opinion.
757 reviews2,346 followers
July 27, 2018
"Love is joy, love is suffering, love is tenderness, love is beautiful. Love is you."

Buddy read with this loser, who I finished without. Oops.

This is the third (??) Beauty and the Beast retelling I've read and it is unlike anything I've read before and I mean that in a good way. This book is dark, beautiful, lustful, and downright awesome. I loved reading it so much, though I had a few problems with it. I binge read this and finished it the day i started it. Thats how awesome it was. Also, spoilers ahead!

Prince Adam Delacroix (our beast) is left scarred and burned in a castle, isolating himself from everyone and letting them all think he died the night he witnessed his family brutally murdered in front of his eyes. Isabelle Rose (beauty) has to take care of her blind and sick father and in order to get the money to treat him, she is forced to be married to rich Raphael (aka Gaston aka mother fucker) who sexually assaults her and does whatever he wants to her. When Isabelle and her father find a way to flee Raphael and hope for a better life, they get stuck in a storm and have to seek shelter in Adam's castle. Adam slowly start feeling human again and starts to have these feelings for Isabelle.

I loved Adam's character so much. I loved the way the author just has Adam characterized as a scarred human and not a beast who is cursed and must turn handsome in order for Isabelle to have her happy ending. He is scarred and broken and I loved how Isabelle falls in love with his every flaw and accept his scars and disfigurement. The love they felt for each other is so real, beautiful, and desperate. The character development for Adam is incredible. He goes from rude and cruel to loving, caring and more human. I felt Adam's need to be loved, his insecurities about his scarred body, and the way he also had to come terms with accepting himself for who he was.

I hated Raphael. He's a disgusting sexual predator who assaults Isabelle and will do anything to have her. He's a dickhead and I hated him.

※I had a lot of problems with the writing. It was extremely repetitive. Adam would constantly talk about Isabelle's "luscious chocolate curls." He would constantly talk about HER FREAKING CURLS AND HOW MUCH HE WANTS TO TOUCH THEM. It got so annoying. Like, Adam, I get it. Stop saying it over and over again. The repetitive writing is the only thing I disliked about this book and I'm glad it didn't make me entirely hate the book. I still enjoyed Rachel's writing. It's beautiful and descriptive.

Also, Rachel is such an amazing and cool author. She reaches out to her readers, talks to them and gladly takes any feedback! She also wrote one of the best B&B retellings ever.

Overall, I really really really loved this book and I binge read it so fucking hard. I literally finished it in a day and abandoned my BR partner Solomon bc I just could not stop reading. The author did say she was going to fix up the repetitive writing and I would love to do a reread of this book someday to see the new changes. I really enjoyed this and can't wait to read Rachel's other work!
Profile Image for Tweebs♥️ .
184 reviews837 followers
April 12, 2017
“Love is joy, love is suffering, love is tenderness, love is beautiful. Love is you.”

Well, shit.

My feels.

*searches entire room*

Question of the day: Do you guys have cameras on me??????

A lovely person recommended this book LITERALLY right after I finished watching the actual movie a couple days ago. I'm onto you peopleeeeee -.- AND YES, the movie was fantastic. (When I mean fantastic, I actually meant Luke Evans because *heart eyes* he got some strong visuals!!!)

*coughs*

Anyway.

I went into this book fully convinced I'd be getting a cute, fluffy, light read BUT you guessed it.

Tweebs was definitely wrong.

I was a few chapters in and then began to realize, "Wait, what the heck. What kind of..?? THIS AIN'T NO CUTE, FLUFFY, LIGHT READ. WHO LIED TO ME???"

This is a dark retelling.

And it was fucking amazing.

That is all.
Profile Image for Yodamom.
1,989 reviews194 followers
4.5

In this remake of this classic tale there is no magic, no curse, not even a singing tea cup. Belle aka Isabelle is a support your family, make sacrifices and do the best you can kind of beauty. The beast is Prince Adam is a horribly scared man emotionally and physically, his best friend is a dog named Stranger who he rescued. Sebastian, is still a servant of sort to his family, more of a friend. Belles’ tormentor is a wicked abusive man with money, power and wants to own her in the worst way. The characters are complex, the relationship is earned, in a slow painful process that I completely enjoyed.
Isabelle runs from her tormentor and home after a horrific series of events and sexual abuse at his hands. Her plan to take her blind, ill father and find a new life for them is thwarted when the weather turns and they are forced to seek shelter at a dank, depressed castle behind rusted gates. When the door opens and she is greeted by a huge man in a dark cloak and a growling giant dog she nearly turns back toward the sure death of the storm. Forcing this dark giant to let them in drawing on her determination to improve their situation she begins a series of events that had me up all night reading while my household slept.
The beast, Adam, lives in his past. He is a living nightmare, swimming with the ghost of his past day and night. Living alone in a decrepit castle with his dog and family relics. He feeds his unhappiness and sorrow with solitude and bitterness. When this woman and her father crash into his solitude he does not adjust easily and become the gentle host. He overreacts to a simple event that will cut a deep wound in Belles heart. He has little to no experience with other people, he is like a lost child acting out. He stole my heart.
Oh Ms. Demeter created a repulsive character in Raphael, Belles tormentor. Deplorable actions and words, a complete piece of rot. I couldn’t have hated him more, so what does she do ? She gives him a background that almost had me feeling sorry for the vermin. That was a tricky little twist of the knife. I was feeling a tug not he old heart strings until he pulled the trigger and killed… well I’m not telling you who. He wasn’t her only wicked man. A most trusted man broke the heart of his friend.
I can’t wait to read more from this author. She twisted me around her finger with her wonderful story telling. The words were beautifully pulled together and created an adult version that does justice to the classic.

Profile Image for Sylvia .
431 reviews116 followers
Purely Magical,
Breathtakingly Beautiful
Dark, yet whimsical
Enchanting, and haunting
Mesmerising, and unforgettable.

These are just but a few words that come to mind when I think of this fantastical retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Not only has the author, successfully, woven a story filled with the heartbeat of the original, she has also fused it with the dark elements of The Phantom of the Opera, as well as snippets of Cinderella. I found myself immersed within the hauntingly beautiful pages filled with descriptive words that floated magically in a way that had me completely engaged and falling in love with this beautiful rendition of a story that is a favourite of mine.

I cherished every word and felt every feeling. My heart pounded repeatedly and my senses heightened by the heartbreak the characters endured and the tenderness in which their love for one another grew over time. Our Beast, Adam Delacroix is that of a scarred man, both physically and emotionally. He has shunned the outside world, living within the halls of his tormented past, withering away and forgetting what it's like to be alive. Enter our Beauty, Isabelle Rose and his non-existent life will forever change.

Both escaping pasts that would consume them whole, if they allowed it, these two slowly strip away the layers that would unleash their truths and bring about a love that would stand the tests of time. It was such a breathtaking sight to behold, so to speak, and an experience that will forever be in my heart. Our dear and wonderful author has spun a tale that is filled with so much love and hope, of longing and beauty, of healing and faith, that what we see presented on the outside, is never what it seems. That the way we look isn't representative of who we are.

I would love to thank the author, Rachel L. Demeter for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. And in doing so, I have fallen in love with the way she can capture my heart with her splendid way with words. Absolutely stunning.
Profile Image for Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink.
259 reviews4,896 followers
June 28, 2017
*Full review update* 2.5 stars

I need to scream the word *TRIGGER* because there is extremely graphic rape. It is not glorified but it is extremely disturbing.

The writing hooked me from page one. I mean seriously guys, this might be the best prologue I've ever read. I was floored and TOTALLY into it. I had no doubt it was going to be a five star book.

And then things started to change. First of all, I need to commend the writing. I can't even tell you how many lines I highlighted because of how beautifully written this book is. The rest? Perhaps its personal preference, but the story just didn't work for me.

While the story is reminiscent of the Disney version (probably the closest I've read yet), it still holds up on its own as unique. No magic here folks, and it is MUCH darker. Not to mention the issues the book deals with (everything from abuse, rape, PTSD, etc.) Does it handle them well? Most of the time, yes, but I definitely had some issues with it. Especially with the rape. No, it is not glorified in the least OR made romantic in any way, but my question is... why? Why describe it in great detail? (No, it isn't the beast who does it. It's the 'Gaston' character - FYI.) I don't know, I was just disturbed.

The other issues I had were the pacing. While I wanted to soak up the language, I was also trying to keep my eyes open for large chunks at a time.

The overall story (I.e. the romance) was okay at first, but then got cheesy, lustful, and just not my cup of tea. I think I'm just done reading Beauty and the Beast retellings. It's more than likely personal taste, but I'm just not into the disturbed man going after the damsel in destress trope. I'm probably in the rare on that one. This book also reminded me of 'Romancing the Duke' - so that's probably a good tell on whether or not you'll like this. I see some comparing it to Phantom of the Opera and that kinda fits too (but I LOVE Phantom of the Opera soooo I don't know.)

Additionally, I didn't connect to the romance. The author was certainly going for the 'healing' aspect of romance - where both characters involved are recovering from PTSD - but I just didn't buy it. Lust overtook the healing aspect and it just felt awkward at times.

I don't want to say too much more, aside from that I DID appreciate little bits, for instance - Isabelle DOES stand up to Adam when he crosses a line / personal boundaries.

Anyway, I think I'm a rare one here, as I've seen only positive reviews for the most part. But it just wasn't my cup of tea, unfortunately.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy
Profile Image for Rachel L.  Demeter.
Author 5 books478 followers
March 26, 2017

Beauty and the Beast has always remained close to my heart and a constant source of inspiration. It fills me with such joy to share my own retelling of this timeless, breathtaking tale. Although my interpretation is filled with shadows, it also embraces light, hope, second chances, and of course, true beauty and love.

Writing Beauty of the Beast was an incredible emotional roller coaster - one I was reluctant to get off of when I typed “The End.” Both Adam and Isabelle had attached themselves to my soul―completely and irrevocably. ❤ I hope their tumultuous journey from darkness sweeps you away and brings a well-loved story vividly to life.

Profile Image for Michelle .
2,016 reviews230 followers
NA Review
My Thoughts
Beauty of the Beast is the first book in the new adult Fairy Tale retellings series by Rachel Demeter. I loved Beauty of the Beast. Totally and completely loved this book. I have been really into retellings lately, and this is a great one. The blurb claims it is "Perfect for fans of Beauty and the Beast and The Phantom of the Opera" and I can totally see that! This is a dark and gothic retelling, so it is not going to be light and fluffy, but it is so heartbreakingly romantic. I just loved seeing Isabelle and Adam.

Isabelle is taking care of her sick father and Adam is a Prince and also the sole survivor of a raid on his castle when he was younger. He now lives in seculsion and when Isabelle and her father happen upon his castle she trades herself to save her father and that is really where our story starts. This story made me super emotional. Both happy and sad emotions. There are two events that took place that really gutted me. But still, I loved the writing and the characters and the rest of the story so much that I still gave this book five stars! Which is really big for me if you know what one of the things was. That is normally a huge no-no for me in books/tv shows/movies. But Beauty of the Beast was good enough that I made an exception in this case.

I'm not sure who was more wounded and who I felt for more in the story. Adam and Isabelle really are kindred souls. Adam with his obvious hardship and past and Isabelle with her awful fiance and dealing with family issues. Watching them come together and form a slow friendship and even slower romance was so sweet and satisfying.

I really loved the slow burn romance in Beauty of the Beast. If you like retellings that take the bones of the tale and tell a really strong story with the basic plot, you will love Beauty of the Beast. Rachel doesn't do anything too radical with the storyline and it feels pretty true to the original but she does do a really cool mash up beauty and the beast and the phantom of the opera. The end result is a great slow burn romance with a tortured hero and a really likable heroine. I devoured this story in one sitting! This is a fantastic retelling. I can't wait to read more from Rachel. This is a book you do not want to miss, and it is one sale right now for preorders!

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,766 reviews590 followers
February 12, 2017
Another Fairy Tale grows up, gains some dark realism and proves that without love, even a saint can become a beast from within their heart and that love can make anyone beautiful in the eyes of those who love them. Rachel L. Demeter has shown her writing chops once again as she turns an already dark tale into an edgy read that will rock you back on your heels.

He was just a child the day his world became a living nightmare that stole his family, his youth, his heart and created a monster scarred and disfigured. It was better that the world thought the entire royal family died that day than to know their prince was too disfigured to look upon. Alone in an ancient castle, Adam has no one except the ghosts of his past and a promise of a lonely and bleak existence until the day he finally breathed his last breath. But a terrible storm brought strangers to his door, a beautiful young woman and her deathly ill father. Reluctant to let them in, lest they cower at his face, the fire in the young lady’s soul and the love she had for her father pulled on his last shred of humanity.

Isabelle is running from a monster already. The monster she was betrothed to, handsome to look upon, but vile enough to ruin her for any other man in the most demeaning and dehumanizing way. Guess he didn’t count on the inner strength of a woman like Isabelle or her ability to deceive him.

What had Isabelle got them into in this dark and dank castle? In an act of a seriously ill and delirious man, her father makes a mistake that causes Adam to literally toss him into his dungeon like the beast he appears to be. It will be that act that reminds him of the love of family as Isabelle makes a bargain in hopes of saving her father. It will be a bargain that will open both of their eyes to the meaning of true beauty far beyond the mere flesh.

Prepare to be horrified, to feel uncomfortable at times and to be charmed by the resiliency of blossoming love. Feel the inner turmoil of the pain each has endured and admire Isabelle for her capacity to move ahead and to trust in what lies underneath Adam’s scars, even if decades of torment have started to kill his very soul.

Rachel L. Demeter wants us to feel more than the enchantment of a fairy tale romance. She wants us to react with more than sighs as she adds some dark reality to her tale. All the better to see how love can transform two lonely souls into one powerfully bonded love. I cannot recommend this one enough! Definitely a gem to be uncovered!

Publication Date: March 15, 2017
Publisher: Rachel L. Demeter
Genre: Dark Fairy Tale Re-telling
Print Length: 288 pages
Available from: Amazon
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁.
573 reviews333 followers
June 16, 2017
***** 4.5 Stars *****

"Wherever you go, that is my home."

Absolutely beautiful. A perfect retelling of one of the most famous fairy tales. This version doesn't involve talking teapots or enchanted roses, but this retelling is still beyond magical.

Prince Adam isn't a hairy beast with sharp teeth. He is just a man with a painful past. On the outside, he has scars all over his body from being burned. On the inside, he is hiding from civilization and himself. He doesn't trust anyone. If he is a monster, it is because others made him that way.

When Isabelle and her ill father stumbled onto his doorsteps during a blizzard, he tried to turn them away. But she held her head high and refused to be ignored. Eventually, their hearts thawed, and a relationship stronger than any spell was created.

This book isn't for young adults because there are some steamy scenes towards the end. And as the Prince has never been with a woman before, he fantasizes a lot about Isabelle.

I loved the story and the way the prince desired to be a better man all because of Isabelle. There were some moments where it was a little repetitive. For example, the story kept bringing up dust motes flying in the air. There were also some abrupt stops when the two were making out. But overall, I enjoyed every second, and I can't wait to read more by Rachel L. Demeter.

description description description

Profile Image for Myla.
610 reviews105 followers
March 11, 2017

Prince Adam Delacroix spends his adult life in hiding after a tragic event befallen his family, leaving him orphaned and physically scarred. The experience turns him into a bitter, heartless and doubtful of people, that’s why he prefers to be alone and trusting no one.

Isabelle Rose a dutiful daughter and always looking after the health of her father, especially now that he’s old and can barely see. Even though Isabelle has two step-sisters, they are more of a burden than help, they are always asking for things for her father to give to them. And there’s Raphael, an arrogant man who thought he owned Isabelle, and that she’ll be his bride in months to come. With the upcoming Annual Merchants’ Fair, Isabelle saw this as an opportunity to get away from people who are good for nothing and starts a new life with just her father.

Travelling throughout the night, unexpected storm came and Isabelle has no choice but to stop and look for a shelter and came across a Gothic castle. She knocks and the door opens… a tall figure wearing a cloak appears and annoyed at the same time. Adam heartlessly tries to turn them away, but Isabelle won’t just give up easily. After a time, Adam reluctantly gives in and let Isabelle and her father stay. While staying in the castle, something happened and Isabelle blames it all to Adam. And Adam just accepted the fact that maybe he’s really at fault for what happened.

They continue to mind their own business, but as time goes by, Isabelle discovers the real Adam behind the scars and Adam, who admire the beauty and grace of Isabelle from afar. Slowly they open up to each other; Adam his past life and how everything came about and Isabelle told Adam that she’s running away from a man. Adam and Isabelle’s life continues like a couple in love. Without a doubt they are in love!!! *sign*

In a cruel twist of fate, Raphael came and (while alone) snatches Isabelle and brought her back to his house and treated Isabelle badly. After learning what happened, Adam went out and searching for his beloved Isabelle. Will he find her before it’s too late?

Speechless! That’s what I felt when I’m done reading this book. I was amazed how beautiful it was flawlessly written turning a classic story into this edgy, dark and sexy story is just brilliant. The pacing is just right and the characters are well defined! This is my first book by Author Rachel L. Demeter and what an introduction it was. Time well spent reading this book and looking forward to read more story written by this author.

Note: ARC was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Julie.
583 reviews65 followers

description

I've never been super excited about fairy tale retellings. I'm not really sure why that is but I have a pretty good feeling that it's because when you grow up hearing stories (or watching movies) about these fairy tales, you grow attached. Beauty and the Beast was a big one for me. I adore that Disney movie and it's hard to believe that it can be improved upon. So when Rachel Demeter sent me a message asking me to give her newest novel a read, I was a bit nervous. What if I picked it up and absolutely hated it? That's a reader's worst nightmare. But that's not how it turned out. Not at all.

First of all, the cover is absolutely beautiful. I'm definitely a cover-judger. I'll admit it. Now on to the most important part ... the actual book. As I started reading, I kept finding myself sitting on the edge of my chair, just waiting for this book to mimic Beauty and the Beast. I was just so sure that it was going to happen and I think that it really took something away from those first few chapters. I ended up stopping and going back to the beginning but without the jaded thoughts. Because not once did it mimic Beauty and the Beast. Of course it was reminiscent but it never went to mimicry. It was so much more.

This. This is what Beauty and the Beast should have been. It's probably what it would have been if it had been written for an adult audience. Isabelle was the perfect heroine. She was the perfect combination of contradictions. She was so very strong but at the same time, very fragile. She was extremely brave yet skittish. She loved beauty but also saw the beauty in flaws. She was exactly what I envisioned our beloved Belle would be like. And Prince Adam ... you want to just weep for him but at the same time, you're rooting for the handsomely scarred prince. He has put up these walls around himself and his heart, refusing to let anyone in. Getting to experience Prince Adam as he tries to traverse the rocky landscape of his transforming life was something I wish I could get back. I want that first read magic again because it was absolutely phenomenal.

I don't want to say too much about the story itself because I don't want to ruin any of the many surprises. All I will say is that it is a story that will stay with me. I'll definitely be rereading this one and I absolutely cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out because THIS is what Rachel Demeter was meant to do. These fairy tale retellings. It blew me out of the water and I'm so excited about this little sub-genre but I know I can't read something from someone else because it just won't be as good. Just have to wait for the next one from Demeter. And it won't be a patient wait!

* I received this novel in exchange for an honest review *

Check out more of my reviews at Little Miss Bookmark!
Profile Image for • Lisa •.
555 reviews1,524 followers
March 15, 2017
FOUR LIGHT AND DARK STARS.

"He didn’t save me from the darkness. He brought the darkness."

description

Beauty and the beast, is understandably a hot topic right now with the new adaptation soon to be coming to the big screen. That, in addition to it being one of my favourite fairy tales meant that I was more than happy to read and review this latest book by Rachel L Demeter. In my opinion this author has done a gorgeous job at retelling this popular fairy tale and I'm glad to say that I was happily lost in a world of days gone by.

What did I love?
I was pleasantly surprised by my engagement with this book, even though I knew the path that the story would take, I was still entertained and pinned to the pages of this novel. I loved the light and dark of the story telling and I was most certainly sold on this hero finding his way from darkness to true love. Plenty of action, brilliant story telling and a hero and heroine to die for. Overall this is a lovely historical romance that I have to say won me some happy reading hours.

Why not five?
This book was thoroughly enjoyed by myself, I just had a few niggles that wouldn't let go of me to allow a five star rating. One of the issues I had was some of the repetition of words used throughout the story telling and once I'd noticed it, sadly it distracted me from time to time. I also would have liked to have had some length in parts of the story telling to fill some of the gaps that I found in the plot. However, these were minor quibbles and nothing that should put a romance reader off giving this book a chance. All in all a really fabulous reading experience and a solid four star rating.

Final thoughts ...
Those romance readers who adore the beauty and the beast fairy tale should enjoy this book as much as I have. With just the right amount of heat and a lot of swoon I was one happy reader. Enjoy ... kisses.

description
Profile Image for Brigitte .
1,597 reviews22 followers
March 5, 2017
Beauty of the Beast is a poignant fairy tale which reflects society's outlook on beauty, power and wealth. An epic storyline!

Adam DeLacroix has lived in seclusion since witnessing the slaughter of his family when he was barely eleven years old, twenty five years ago. He owes his life to Sébastian who is his only connection to the outside world. Stranger, his dog is the only constant in his life in the shadows.

Isabelle lives with her father and her two wicked step sisters. Her father's health is on a rapid decline and her engagement to Vicomte Raphael Dumont helps with the situation. Not an ideal decision.

Raphael is more or less holding Isabelle to ransom but when her father realises that he is not who he pretends to be, he comes up with a plan. The only way they can put this plan in motion is by getting help from Raphael. This is where he really shows his cruelty and lack of compassion.

Desperate to get away, Isabelle and her father embark on a journey where they are caught in a storm. On spotting a derelict chateau, they see this as an opportunity to have shelter from this storm. Adam, answers their call but is not very welcoming. Isabelle puts her foot down as the weather is aggravating her father's already poor health. Adam relents and gives them shelter.

Isabelle is intrigued by the whole set up and its surrounding darkness. Her father does something totally out of character, resulting in Adam losing his temper. His behaviour is frightening and he shows his face for the first time. Isabelle's initial reaction is fear and maybe a little disgust! Things take a turn for the worse and Isabelle blames Adam. Then she sees another side of him which makes her curious. Adam is compelled by her beauty and kindness. He had forgotten that love still existed. Isabelle is just about to change all that.

Isabelle starts to see what lies beneath Adam's surface and they start a companiable relationship. Soon the attraction between them grows and Adam realises that Isabelle is not like everyone else. They start to trust each other and he reveals his past and his true identity. In turn, Isabelle tells him the truth about the reason for undertaking this journey. They start this beautiful relationship and believe that they are safe in their little world when betrayal brings danger to their doorstep.

Adam becomes aware of what's happened and he has no choice but to leave the shadows if he wishes to save the day. The ugly truth of the situation infuriates him and violence ensues. Will he succeed in his mission and have the life that they both crave?

This fairy tale is a rollercoaster of a journey. It shows that appearance can be deceiving. It's portrayed in such a way that I could feel the emotions with every turn of events. The characters are described in a very realistic manner. From the wicked step sisters to the cold blooded Raphael and his side kick, Vivian. There are some sensual moments but it's not just about sex but about true feelings and unconditional love between two people from different worlds. The epilogue is fantastic and even then I wanted more. I absolutely loved this emotive and memorable tale.

I was kindly issued with an eARC from the author and the views expressed are my personal opinion.
Profile Image for Natalie  ~ The Biblioholic.
2,502 reviews1,215 followers
April 3, 2017
It's LIVE & on Blog Tour!!

As I've stated before, I love fairytale retellings and BEAUTY OF THE BEAST was a good one. Prince Adam Delacroix has lived a life of solitude in a secluded castle for 25 years, ever since he witnessed the massacre of his family during the revolt. His solitary existence is disrupted when Isabelle and her sick father seek shelter from a storm. After what he perceives as a transgression against his hospitality, Adam locks her father away in the dungeon. And then we all kind of know what happens next. Kinda.

I like how the author took artistic license of the classic tale and spun her own twists and turns. There was no true magic here but real magic took place. The magic of love. Yeah, that does sound pretty corny, but it doesn't make it any less true. Adam was disfigured and no magic spell was going to change that, however, Isabelle was able to see beyond that to the beauty that was at the core of this man. It was wondrous to be able to watch them fall together. For years, Adam's heart was full of anger, bitterness and resentment. With Isabelle he was able to start replacing them with hope and love.

The short and sweet of it is this: the story was entertaining and heartwarming, as was to be expected; Prince Adam was most definitely swoon-worthy; Isabelle was almost child-like with a huge capacity for love; and I enjoyed this story immensely.

Release Date: March 15, 2017
Genre: Fairytale Retelling
POV: Dual - 3rd person
Steam: 2.5 out of 5
Book Type: Standalone - Book 1 of the Fairy Tale Retellings series
Profile Image for Krystle ~A Booknatic~.
129 reviews20 followers
March 11, 2017
I was offered this book in exchange for an honest review, and once I started reading it...

I. Could. Not. Stop!

This is my first book that I've read with this author, and it's like she knew that I adore Beauty and the Beast. I think she's psychic??! Ha. That being said, if anyone is a fan of the classic, Beauty and the Beast, you have to give this book a try because you won't be disappointed! Especially since this is the grown up version * wink wink *

Okay, enough fan-girling, so about the book – Ms. Demeter is very good at describing everything, she makes you feel like you're actually in the book with the characters, experiencing what they're feeling and what not. I like that. Also, it flowed very nice. You're not bored within the first 30 minutes of reading saying to yourself, “Is this going to pick up soon, or what?!” It pretty much took off from the start. For Isabelle to really be strong and find herself, she needs to get her and her father away from the antagonist of the story Raphael. Did I mention the author is good at making you feel what the characters are feeling? Because you will really dislike that man! Unlike Adam...poor damaged Adam! I fell in love with his character. He was a really good “Beast” with his disfigurement from his injuries he had as a kid; his personality and attitude towards everyone fit the book perfectly and when Isabelle came along she turned his complacent world upside down!

5 huge stars from me, and I really look forward to reading more in this 'Fairy tale Retellings' series if the author continues it!
Profile Image for Kelsey.
318 reviews3 followers
March 16, 2017
****SIX HEARTBREAKING, BEASTLY STARS****

I can't even with this novel - and in a good way.

Rachel L. Demeter has yet to disappoint with her outstanding writing techniques, and pulling a reader into her work. BEAUTY OF THE BEAST was an outstanding read that drew me in, and kept me there. Seeing as Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favorite fairy tales, this novel was a must read for me. The cover art was outstandingly beautiful, and really captured the original tale of the beast that lives in the broken down castle, forever broken, and forgotten, a human being rests in the shadows where he watches the world pass him by. Other than a lone servant that has stood by his side for twenty-five years, Adam Delacroix, is a mysterious, powerful character who was absolutely stunning to fall in love with.

In a town, about two days away from the broken castle is a mademoiselle. Her looks, and knowledge, and quick wit are all adored by the townsfolk. She's so much more than what meets the eye. Isabelle Rose was a well written, heart breaking, and heart mending character that saw beneath all the stories, and rumors, and saw what Adam really is. But that isn't after she accuses him of being a monster, and blaming him for something that was completely out of his control - just like his life had been spiraling out of control before she graced him with her presence.

So, a little bit of heartache, a little bit of romance (which was completely hot, by the way), a little bit of back stabbing nonsense by a friend that never should have stuck their nose in in the first place. What I thoroughly enjoyed about this novel was that the story kicked back and forth between Adam's voice, Isabelle's voice, as well as two other characters voices. Never once did it get confusing. Now, you see I used voice, and not point of view? I felt that the characters spoke instead of saw. The tense of writing was perfect, and went so well with the time period, and feel of the novel.

As the age old fairy tale goes, a fair maiden stumbles upon a man who is not who he seems to be upon the first meeting. Cold, heartless, and not kind towards visitors, Adam Delacroix has had so much happen in his short life span, that when the beauty that is Isabelle Rose knocks on his castle doors, he hesitates to let her and her ailing father in from the storm that raged behind them. But they were running away from more than just the rain, and cold weather that drug them to the door of the castle. So, so much more. Adam takes pity on them, and things turn worse for the wear when he catches what seems to be a teacup disappearing beneath a cloak. From there, Isabelle sees the man for what he truly is, and lashes out, calling him a monster. I'll leave it there for there is so much more to this novel than meets the eye.

BEAUTY OF THE BEAST had a fine resemblance, and nice balance between Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and a speck of Phantom of the Opera - all of which are my favorite stories/tales/movies/books. BEAUTY OF THE BEAST was outstandingly written. As I said, Rachel's writing never ceases to amaze me, and I am so looking forward to this series of favorite fairy tale novels with their dark twists around every corner.
Profile Image for Joanna .
426 reviews84 followers
March 17, 2017
*** Disclaimer: Received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review***

Firstly this is my first Beauty and the Beast retelling and I couldn't have been happier that it was this one. When the author reached out to me and informed me that it was a retelling but with a dark and gritty edge, I really wasn't sure what I was getting into. In my head I was already singing all the Disney songs especially when Isabelle, our main character, goes into town and meets the *sings* baker like always. The same old bread and rolls to sell. Every morning just the same, since the morning that they came to this poor provincial town... * ends singing and looks around* Ummm yeah, sorry about that. Anyways basically I was all set for a magical ride with adult characters but it turned out to be so much more than that.

The strength of the story really is with the characters. Each of them is so complex and richly emotional. Adam's restless and tortured nature and Isabelle's tenacity and Raphael's malice and cruelty are some of the first aspects to each of these characters that you are introduced to and which hook you from the start. You watched them grow and evolve and along the way, I felt that the writing did the same as well. As feelings grew and different situations arose, the prose got more detailed and expressed feelings of loss, desperation and love with so much intent that you couldn't help but feel for them. It was raw and powerful and it really brought great dimension to the storyline.

Thank the heavens this will be part of a series because I look forward to reading more by Rachel in the future. Hopefully a Cinderella or Little Mermaid retelling??? I would be all over either one but The Little Mermaid would be my number one pick lol. I'm a fish at heart :)

Happy Reading everyone and I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I did.
Profile Image for ✰ Liz ✰ .
1,349 reviews1,262 followers
April 12, 2017
~4.5 Fairy Tale Stars~
description

Beauty of the Beast is a beautifully crafted romance of redemption and hope. With a severely damaged hero (both physically and emotionally) and a beautiful young maiden, this retelling of the classic tale Beauty and the Beast held me captive the entire time.
"What have I done?"
Prince Adam Delacroix has lived his whole life hidden away in his castle. The painful memories of his past haunt him day in and day out. Living a life of solitude has left him completely devoid of human contact or affection. Destined to live a painfully lonely life, he has found comfort in creating music, and his sole companionship has been his dog. When a young girl and her ailing father show up at his doorstep, he is frightened and outraged by their presence in his world.

description
"Please...Please come back to me...."
Isabelle Rose has lived a relatively happy life with the love of her father. Despite the painful existence of her two evil step sisters, Isabelle has found peace in her simple way of life. When her family's financial situation takes a turn for the worse, she is forced to agree to marry the wealthy Vicomte Raphael Dumont. Although she has tried to accept the upcoming nuptials, Raphael is a monster and has made no secret of his plans to make her life miserable. When Isabelle sees an opportunity for an escape, she takes it! Isabelle and her father venture out into the darkness. When a storm causes them to find shelter, she ends up trading one monster for another. But as you know sometimes things are not at all as they seem!

description
"I love you, my Adam. Always us."
Told in mostly dual POV, Beauty of the Beast is a mishmash of Beauty and the Beast, Phantom of the Opera, and even a slight hint of Cinderella. And yet, Isabelle and Adam create an entirely new story full of romance, tenderness, and friendship. The setting comes to life with the rich description full of dark and bright colors. The characters are complex with their broken past and a strong desire for a better future. Although I found myself drawing connections to the original story, I found this retelling to be even more fascinating and touching. The sexual tension that blooms between Isabelle and Adam is off the charts! Adam and Isabelle both find a way to discover passion, beauty, and love together. The supporting characters enhanced the tale greatly with their love or disdain for Adam and Isabelle. The blend of action, suspense, and romance was well dispersed throughout the read, and anyone who enjoys a broken hero finding love will devour every word of this beautifully crafted tale!

description
Overall, Beauty of the Beast is sure to delight romance fans who enjoy a beautiful fairy tale and good overcoming evil. This is my first book by Rachel L. Demeter, and now that I have had a taste, I am anxiously waiting for more!

*ARC graciously provided via author in exchange for an honest review!

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:
description
Profile Image for A Hopeless Romantic's Booklandia .
1,277 reviews14 followers
March 4, 2017
I loved Ms. Demeter's Finding Gabriel, so I when I saw her Beauty of the Beast, I jumped at the chance to read it! The fact that it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, my favorite fairy tale, only made me want to read it even more - and wow - was it good. Although good is too weak a word to describe it, it really was amazing and I positively loved it!

Isabelle is every bit as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. She's kind, sweet and compassionate, but she's also so strong and fierce. She doesn't back down from anyone or from doing what's right. Isabelle is unflinchingly loyal, she's down-to-earth, and she truly has a heart of gold. She is such a wonderful person and I have no doubts that you'll love her like I do.

And Adam, oh, Adam - it was just impossible not to love him. Yes, he has his horrible, mean, gruff moments, but he's much more than what he appears to be. He's strong and confident and dignified, but he also has his insecurities and doubts too. Adam is the sweetest guy ever - he never takes Isabelle for granted and you can tell that the sun rises and sets on her for him. Adam might have broken my heart at times, but he put it back together and completely stole it. He's every bit as wonderful as Isabelle and I'm so glad he found his Beauty.

Beauty of the Beast took me longer than I anticipated to finish, but through no fault of its own because it really was captivating, exciting, and enchanting. It was tragic and heart wrenching and made my heart ache so much, it made my eyes sting with tears, and it made me furious for all the trials that Isabelle and Adam especially, had to face, but it wasn't all darkness and pain. It was full of beauty, passion, and sweetness too. It made me laugh, it warmed my heart and it was just incredible. I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Beauty of the Beast is the first book in the Fairy Tale Retellings, it's told mostly from Adam and Isabelle's POV, and they have a lovely happily-ever-after ending that will leave you with a smile on your face!

~ Sonja, 5 Roses
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,038 reviews108 followers
February 24, 2017
***5 ‘Always Together’ Stars***

I’m a true blue sucker for Beauty and the Beast inspired stories. It doesn’t matter in which manner the author chooses to take it, contemporary, historical, paranormal or even switching things up where the Beast is female. This trope is my catnip and I’ll readily admit that I’ll more than likely trip over myself to get my hands on it (and before you ask, Yes, I will be seeing the Beauty and the Beast Disney movie the day it releases ;)) So it’s no surprise that I jumped at the chance to read this one and I adored it! The author did a beautiful job of keeping those special little moments that a true fan will instantly recognize while giving it her own dark and edgy touch that gives a refreshing and emotional spin to the story.

One of the most important components of this trope for me is that I have to hurt for ‘Beast’. I have to fully understand what happen to turn the character into the monster that even they think they are and feel their pain, so that I can want them to climb out of the darkness and the author gave that to right off the bat and god did I hurt for Adam. Brutal is an understatement when it comes to what Adam went through, soul crushing is a better description and though there were moments where I wanted to smack him, what came through was what an amazing heart he had. When they say it’s the little things that count, they really do and Adam proved it over and over again to the point that I was ready to climb into the story to be with him.

The other component that is a must is I have to fall in love with Beauty’s goodness even while thinking the character is just too good to be true and that’s what happened with Isabelle. She is a kind and sweet girl in every way that counts and it shines through in her actions. Is she perfect? No. She has faults just like anyone else, but she tends to be more kind than cruel and appreciates the little things versus having the world handed to her on a silver platter.

Adam and Isabelle’s romance had quite a few twists and turns, some I saw coming, others not so much, so I was kept on my toes. But I loved how they learned each other and saw beyond what was on the outside and into each others hearts and souls. Though Adam does evolve the most of the two, with Isabelle’s help, he also helps Isabelle get through some issues of her own and I loved the way they found common ground in what they were most passionate about and though the ending was perfect.

This is my first read by the author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hooked from the start and had a very difficult time putting once I started it. The writing was engaging and I enjoyed the multiple 3rd person POV’s. The characters were all well developed and as much as I adored Adam and Isabelle there were characters that I wanted to gut with a spoon, which means the baddies of the story were also well written. The disclaimer at the end of the description is tell the truth. This retelling is edgy and dark in some ways, so be prepared for it, but it also has that magical touch that makes your heart swoon and has you believing that fairy tales can come true.

~ Copy received from IndieSagePR ~
Profile Image for Esther .
867 reviews203 followers
March 19, 2017
ARC provided by NetGalley and Publisher for an honest review.

What a take on the fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast. This is definitely the adult version with a lot of angst, a gothic twist and strong emotional depth. Oh, also sexual tension and c h e m i s t r y!!!

Isabella is beautiful and kind hearted. She lives with her not so nice stepsisters and cares for her ill Father. She is engaged to a wicked suitor who she goes to for a favor. Isabella's father wishes (Isabella fears this is his last dying wish)to visit a merchants fair and they need transportation. Isabella makes a deal with her fiancé for use of his carriage.

Adam is a scarred prince who experienced a tragic and horrific childhood. He witnessed the destruction by fire of his home/castle as well as the death of his family. He lives in shell of what use to be his home/castle in solitude and anger. We open with the scene of this playing out and it's heart breaking to read.

During Isabella and her fathers journey to the fair they are caught in a storm and they seek shelter in the decrepit castle. They are confronted by Adam at the door who tries to deny them help/entry. Isabella will have non of that and convinces Adam to provide them shelter.

The beginning of Isabella and Adam's relationship starts with heartbreak as Isabella father dies. The two have so much pain, heartbreak and trust issues that it would seems almost impossible to insurmountable to overcome. But as the two come to know each other, slowly and carefully revealing their heart and thoughts to each other, they begin a healing process. But there are forces and people that are out to destroy, hurt and kill them.

What a rich and emotional read. It's got a dark feel but yet you have a sense of this promise of hope and happiness just in reach. The characters are so multi faceted, with rich depth and deep emotion. Chemistry and sexual tension jump off the pages.The feel and scenes suck you into the time period as well as what each individual is experiencing and feeling. The evil characters and villains you will truly hate. Your heart will ache for each of these characters. You will cheer for their well deserved HEA. Well written and a page turner.

First time reading this author.
Profile Image for Barbara.
3 reviews
March 7, 2017
All the stars!!!

A brilliant and breathtakingly beautiful reimagining of Beauty and the Beast!!! Fans of the iconic fairy tale can now relive the story as a grown up.

I loved the dark twists. I loved every character. I loved the Gothic setting and imagery. And wow, the writing style - maybe I loved that most of all.

The descriptions were vivid, beautiful, and often dreamlike. My heart ached for both Isabelle and Adam - Demrov's forgotten prince - and I admit to ugly crying on more than one occasion. But every tear was well worth the sacrifice; Demeter has truly created an unforgettable story while retaining the heart (and many of the nuances) of the original tale.

If you're a fan of Beauty and the Beast or historical romances, and are open to experiencing some enchanting dark realism, then this is the one to read!
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,852 reviews16 followers
March 11, 2017
'Beauty of the Beast' by Rachel L. Demeter is book One in the "Fairy Tale Retellings" series. This is the story of Isabelle Rose and Prince Adam Delacroix. This did remind me allot of 'The Beauty and the Beast' story but with a much darker and hotter story line. Isabelle lived with her father and two step sisters. Isabelle had thought she fell in love with Raphael but soon learned that as handsome as he was he was actually a monster inside. Now she tries to do everything to avoid him and doesn't want to marry him. Isabelle step-sister are very mean to her in addition to the hardships she has to go through along with having her father very sick. Isabelle and her father go traveling where they are caught in a storm that leads them to Adams castle. Adam has his own issue that he is dealing with. Adam has cut himself off from everyone but one childhood friend. Adam was badly burned with his parents and sister died after being betrayed...their house caught on fire. Adam was the only one to get out along with his childhood friend. But the scars and they anger has left him a beast . So when Isabelle and her father come to his door he tries to turn them away. But Isabelle is not having that and goes on in. There her father does something that angers Adam and he puts him into the dungeon overnight. But with her father so sick and the weather they were out made it so that her father didn't survive the night. Adam plans on keeping Isabelle as his mistress and Isabelle is to upset to fight him. But along the way they start to interact and things start to change. But will Isabelle's past come back for her?
"My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read."
Profile Image for Beyond The Covers Blog.
2,310 reviews81 followers
February 28, 2017
Another classic fairytale told with a modern dark twist. Prince Adam was just a boy the day his world came crashing down on him and he lost his family and his youth leaving behind a monster scarred, disfigured and full of hate. All alone in his castle, Adam has no one except the ghosts of his past until storm brought strangers to his door, a beautiful young woman and her sick father. Adam was hesitant to let them in for fear if they saw his face they would draw back in hate and disgust but the strong will of Isabelle and the love she had for her father did something to him, made him feel like a human again.

Isabelle is running from a man she was betrothed to, handsome to look at, but mean enough to ruin her. But little did he know that Isabelle was strong willed and her ability to outwit him.

Isabelle's father does something to make Adam angry and toss him into the dungeon. Isabelle makes a bargain in hopes of saving her father. It will be a bargain that will open both of their eyes to the meaning of true beauty far beyond the mere flesh.

As the story continues you start to see Isabelle show Adam that another human being can love someone no matter what they look like. You feel the pain that they each has endured and admire Isabelle for her ability to trust in what lies underneath Adam’s scars, even if decades of torment have started to kill his very soul.

This is not only a classic beautifully retold but also makes you see the pain and torment one can go through! I look forward to reading many more of Rachel's books. If Beauty and the beast is your favorite fairytale then you will want to read this one and how it makes us see beyond the scars and what truly is inside.
Profile Image for Nicole.
731 reviews1,834 followers
May 21, 2017
First, a big thanks to Tweebs who recommended this awesome book.

I was never a fan of retellings. Well, I always thought they're super cheesy and ridiculous. A prejudgment on my part. Now, I really regret it because I think they're wonderful! I read around 4 last month and I while didn't love all of them, I will certainly be reading more from now on.

I had so much fun reading this book, maybe a bit too much. I think I'll need to make a guilty-pleasure shelf because while I enjoyed reading this book, it was far from being perfect. However, I'm ready to turn a blind eye (on most things).

I was in the mood for romance. I didn't want any contemporary because they're all the same. It's been a very long time since I read a romance that I actually enjoyed.

Isabelle is ready to do anything for her sick father, even staying with her abuser fiance if it means he'll provide necessary medicines for her dad to stay alive. Living with her mean sisters doesn't help. So when the opportunity to escape forever comes, she doesn't hesitate. After having to stop in an abandoned castle because of the storm, she meets our beast like Adam. Being terrible ill, her father doesn't make it to the next day. Due to some unfortunate circumcentres, she'll be forced to stay at the ruined castle longer than she wants. Last think she expected is not wanting to leave eventually.

Can we talk how sweet and wonderful Adam is?

The tension build up was perfect. I loved how Isabelle unraveled his true side bit by bit How they transferred from strangers to friends and finally lovers. How she accepts no matter how he looks like.

I'm so glad that this book is a part of a series because that means we'll have more retellings which I'll definitely be reading. I hope Rachel work on her writing style because it could've been way better if it was better written. Another thing that really bugged me, was the whole they love her because they see their mothers in her. For one person, I would understand... But both, not really.

I would definitely recommend this book if you were in the mood for a sweet retelling with a not so light side.
Profile Image for Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*.
768 reviews284 followers
March 15, 2017
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

I received this eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Beautiful, Beastly Stars!
Absolutely amazing! This story had it all!

The Review:
What a fantastic read!

Steeped in a dark realism, this remarkable retelling of an enchanting classic held no charmed curses or dancing tea cups. In fact, Prince Adam Delacroix’s beastliness was the result of a horrific string of events that lead to his disfigurement. But just because there was no supernatural or otherworldly conjury interwoven in this magnificent tale, doesn't mean there wasn’t magic abound. With talented writing and elegant prose, this powerful, bewitching story consumed me and made me fall in love with two profound characters who prove that true, unconditional love really can wade the crashing tides of life's misfortunes.

Story/Characters...
A young Adam Delacroix, would be prince of Demrov, lost everything one fateful night in a rebellion that incinerated his entire world and left him horribly scarred and alone. For twenty five years, he hid himself away in his forsaken castle, fearing the outside world and all it’s judgements. Haunted by his past and uneased by a precarious future, he thought the simple pleasure of life, such as a hug, a kiss or even love and passion, were lost to him forever. Until a beauty showed up at his dark door one cold, snowy night asking for help.

Isabelle Rose is running from an impossible future. Unwilling to be engaged to the detestable Vicomte Raphael Dumont, she takes off with her ailing father in search of a new future, only to find a vein of despair in her desperation. Hoping for a bright new life, she never expected to find herself behind the cold, shadowy walls of Adam’s castle. Nor did she expect to find a remarkable life and a tender love in that same somber place. Her reluctance, her fear, her heartbreak and confusion was palpable and honest. It poured off the pages in the most articulate way and when the tides began to turn and her confusion and fear leaned towards need and love, I heartily cheered her on. You couldn’t help but fall deep in love with these characters!

Through this author's dark, expressive writing, Adam’s loneliness and self-abhorrence was captured in impassioned laminations filled with heartbreaking longing for a life he couldn’t conceive possible for himself. Isabelle was a dreamer and envisioned a life filled with love, passion and beauty. She wanted her happily ever after, which is why she chose to run from a future sure to cause her so much pain. Right from the start, I loved the powerful chemistry between Adam and Isabelle, and the parallels they represented.

And there was a definite slow burn between these two. Isabelle starts off with a deep distrust of this mysterious and horrifically scarred man who has marooned himself away in his gloomy castle. He’s secretive, in pain and has a story behind those piercing, intelligent eyes. She wanted to get to know him but his fear holds him back. In turn, Adam feels he is completely unworthy of a woman who loves so fiercely, who is graceful and honorable, sweet and caring and above all, who is absolutely beautiful. These conflicting elements caused some wonderful angsts and enjoyable chest pangs. Then, through Adam’s gentle words and touch, his caring and giving nature, his soulful music, Isabelle finds much more to love about a man who seemed unlovable.

The Wrap Up:
I was riveted by this read and enjoyed it beyond measure. The writing alone was outstanding and swept me away, but the story was all consuming and was reminiscent of the classics. The only reason I didn’t give it a full five stars was because about middle way of the book, I felt there was a repetitiveness in both Adam and Isabelle’s narrative. Adam longed for Isabelle from afar and Isabelle stayed confused and fearful. I felt there was one chapter too much of that and I wanted very much for this amazing story to move forward into the romance it was working so hard toward.

All in all, I loved this book. This might have been a retelling of a classic, but with fresh ideas, new twists and brave and intriguing characters, this outstanding read delighted me at every page turn. I can’t wait to read more by this author.
Profile Image for Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️.
816 reviews838 followers
March 17, 2017
4 "Always Together" Stars
 photo IMG_2913_zpsroxbrjx1.jpg

There is nothing like a great fairytale to make you feel good. Good and evil, happiness and sorrow, love and loss, and always Happily Ever Afters. As from this title, this books is fashioned after Beauty and the Beast. Not a magical one but one of real life.

This story is set in the 1800's. It's a dark historical love story. Prince Adam Delacroix is a beast but not one from a magical spell. He had a tragic past where his scars are not only deep but explicitly displayed on one side of his body......horrific burns. He's beautifully tragic. He has deep wounds inside and out that shroud him from the world. He lives alone in Castle Delacroix where he is reminded daily (25yrs) of the man he would never be.

Isabelle Rose is a beautiful dreamer. But her life and that of her father's has deteriorated. He's ill and she is engaged to man, Vicomte Raphael Dumont, who she doesn't love. He is a real monster, cruel and ruthless. In order to get away from him, Isabelle and her father set out to start a new life. But the weather and her father's illness sets them off course where they must seek shelter at Castle Delacroix.

We all know the story, Isabelle and Prince Adam will eventually fall in love and defeat all the evil in their lives. Their journey is awakening, daunting at times, filled with loss, scary, beautiful, and loving. Books and music intertwine these two as well as sorrow. It's a book looking at the person and not their physicality's.....a beast may only be a beast because no one looks deeper.
It's a tale as old as time,
true as it can be,
barely even friends
then someone bends
Unexpectedly....

I would like to say that this story was beautifully written. This is a new author to me as well as a new genre. I don't read historicals but this story made me a fan. The author brought life to the story through her descriptive and visual words. I felt transported back to the 1800's, to the small country of Demrov, where good and evil existed. Life in the cold, dark castle felt lifeless and tragic. But with time where small gestures, meaningful glances and learning to live again, love started to bloom between two souls who had deep wounds.

I would like to explain why not 5 stars. While I loved all the descriptive narrative, I felt at times it was slightly repetitive. It didn't take away from the story, I just felt that it just kept the story from progressing at times. It maybe that I'm not familiar with the genre so this is just a case of me. But for those of you looking to read outside your comfort zone, to try something new, or for you die hard historical readers.....Beauty of the Beast is a Beauty of a Read!!

*advanced copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
Displaying 1 - 30 of 506 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.