Start by marking “The Indian Lover: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Indian Lover: A Novel

The Indian Lover: A Novel

With a sweeping sense of history and landscape that contributed to making Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove a classic, and the precise sense of character and passion that made Cold Mountain so successful, Garth Murphy has written a brilliant saga about California in its last days as part of Mexico, and about the lives of those caught up in this moment of historical high drama ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Simon Schuster (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Indian Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indian Lover

Kim
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I live in No. County and spend a good bit of time in Warner Springs Ranch. The book is set in San Diego County in the mid 1800's. The mexicans and americans are fighting for lands that belong to the indians. The indians are trying desperately to get along with everyone and still keep hold of what has always been theirs. I cried at the end.
Dawn
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in history of California or a good love story
I was quickly entranced by the historical details and beautiful descriptions of the land and life in southern California before it was annexed to the United States. The author created a believable and endearing cast of characters and a story that was engaging and made it hard to put the book down. As the story progressed, I cared more and more about the fate of the main characters, much as the protagonist, Bill Marshall, did with the Cupa Indians. The author did a great job of avoiding hackneyed ...more
Janet
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: San Diegans
Recommended to Janet by: The author!
We visit Warner Springs about once a month and were fortunate enough to hear the author speak about this book. This is an interesting story of some key figures in the history of the area and was especially meaningful because I have been to nearly every setting in the story.
Kindra
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on San Diego history, makes you look at your surroundings as a San Diegan quite differently. Loved most the insight into Indian life during this time, a must read if you have ever lived in the area.
Jeni
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cant believe I finally finished this book! I was not sucked in at any point, but did it enjoy it overall. It has been my backup book for a few months now-lots of San Diego history.
Judy Michell
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good historical novel that anyone living in San Diego County will enjoy learning more about the region and native people.
Pat
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few books that tells the story of the settling of the San Diego area from the viewpoint of the Indian. The history and way of life of the Indians was very interesting.
Joe Jackson