Start by marking “The Girl Who Could See” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Could See

The Girl Who Could See

Published June 1st 2017 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Could See, please sign up.
Gray Cox Yes, but it is very minimal and innocent.
Abby Yes! There is some romance (including one kiss) and some violence, but I'd still consider it clean. No cussing.

Start your review of The Girl Who Could See
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
If this book was made into a movie, I’d definitely want to watch it about maybe 35 thousand times, honestly.

This author really nailed her captivating writing style, world building and ability to crack my heart into a million pieces of heartbreak then magically piece it back together again.

I loved these characters seriously, even Detective Barstow, the dude was cool.
Gray Cox
THIS NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE!!!!!!!

I'm going to review this on my blog probably on Wednesday, so I'll post a link then. :D
---
It's up! https://graymariewrites.blogspot.com/...
(Also I took a TON of pictures because THAT COVER, and they are featured in my blog post, so yeah). Y'all are welcome. ;)
Elizabeth Dragina
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memorable
Oh my poor, sad heart.

(( Just as a side note, cuz, I though you should know. . . It took me an hour to read this. :P ))

There was a moment of desperation, where I actually thought this was a tragedy -- O.O 😥 -- and I literally screamed and jumped around the room in relief because of the ending. Oh that ending though. So perfect. So cute. (( if that was spoilers...I'm sorry that I just ruined your life--not. ))

Because of how fast I read it I'm still reeling from shock and I don't quite know how
Kate Willis
(Originally posted on Lilian's blog as part of a very fun collab) ;)

First off, is it weird that I want to enlarge this cover and hang it up like a movie poster? Because I do. XD (And the birds, guys!!!)

I actually read this book twice in a row to get all my thoughts about it together. The first time I read it, I was pretty keyed up from something unrelated to the book plus the SUSPENSE that is this story that I felt like I definitely missed some things, so I read it again to get all the richness.
m a r y l i z
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*clutches heart* Can I just say there's a reason the cover is so beautiful?

BECAUSE WOW. This novella made me cry. Laugh. Smile.

It made me sit and stare at the wall and stroke the cover because it's that kind of a book. The kind that leaves a mark on your very soul and becomes a lasting part of who you are.

That's what The Girl Who Could See is to me.

//////////////////

Okay, you want an actual review?

Lovely Things:

- EVERYTHING.

- All right, but the characters. Fern and Tristan and darling Eli
Abigayle Claire
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once I finally stopped staring at the stunning cover and began reading the book, I was not disappointed! This felt like one of those really cool crazy person TV shows from the very beginning. It's a novella with the end-of-the-world, get-the-FBI-to-listen stuff. With the distinct feeling that the fantasy and 'imaginary' elements were add-ons to a realistic 'real' world, it had the flare of modern Marvel movies. I tend to like that sort of thing when it's well done, so I enjoyed the book from the ...more
Lisa Elis
THIS SHOULD BE A MOVIE!!

I basically never read novellas because SHORTNESS. But I have heard people raving about this forever so, why not? And I went in prepared for its shortness so it did not disappoint ;D

OH MY WORD THO.

+ FERN. She is so vulnerable and relatable and heroic all the same ... *hugs her*

+ TRISTAN. He was awesome of course ;D imaginary friend, anyone? He's the PERFECT imaginary friend lol

+ AGENT BARSTOW. hurray for the FBI!! We need more GOOD law enforcement people in books, and eve
Hann Remraf
I totally get why everyone loves this book now. And I, along with everyone else who's read it, it seems, would recommend it, too XD
Lilian
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book

o.o

... Dang. Pretty powerful book. I would definitely recommend this for those readers who love sci fi and romance -- such a great book!
Sara
Fern is the girl who can see. Following an accident aged 8, Fern has been able to see and hear more than most people, including imaginary friend Tristan. But Tristan isn't imaginary, he's from another world. A world destroyed by the Rhoon, who want nothing more than to consume Earth. And the only way to do that is use the connection Fern has...

I'm struggling really to come up with any real emotions about this novella, which I think is its biggest downfall. The characters, storyline and writing d
Gracelyn Buckner
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
5 Stars

Wow! This was so good! I don't read speculative fiction very much, but I'd heard so many good things about this, that I stepped out of my comfort zone. I don't usually spend that much money on one book, either, but it was so worth it. Someone mentioned that it was a Christian allegory, and I was watching for that. I could see some of it at the beginning. At the end I was a bit confused as to how it fit into a Christian worldview (not that it was un-Christian or anything). But all in all,
Le'Kiss
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short story captured my heart from the first beautiful page. I loved everything about this book from the characters to the plot. I must say tho chapter seventeen had me weeping. This little treasure is full of suspense, charm, humor and hope. I can't even describe my love for this tiny book. I love this book and will definitely re-read it. I highly recommend this gorgeous book.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“All her life Fern has been told she is blind to reality—but what if she is the only one who can truly see?
Fern Johnson is crazy. At least, that’s what the doctors have claimed since her childhood. Now nineteen, and one step away from a psych ward, Fern struggles to survive in bustling Los Angeles. Desperate to appear “normal,” she represses the young man flickering at the edge of her awareness—a blond warrior only she can see.
Tristan was Fern’s childhood imaginary hero, savi
Jane
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well. That was absolutely amazing. The concept, the prose, the characters, the THEME and there was actually a heap of character development in such a small space of words and that's very uncommon, so I'm very pleased about that.

I cried. I don't cry a lot in books, but I cried in this one. I'm just such a sucker for happy endings that when the second last chapter looks like doom and despair the tears just start coming. (view spoiler)
Alea Harper
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So umm I accidentally read the entire thing in almost one sitting. This book was absolutely INCREDIBLE. So well written and the pacing was amazing. Can I give it 100 out of 5 stars?

You can always tell when a book is an author's passion story. THIS IS KARA'S PASSION, and it comes through so beautifully on the page. This is Kara pouring her heart out, and the results are beautiful. Definitely give this book a read.
Bethany Jennings
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word.

I stayed up until 4 AM reading this, desperate to see how it would end. Sometimes I had to set the book down and take a deep breath before I could keep going because it was SO intense and cut right to the heart (oh the feeeeeels).

Fern was so relatable and real, and I ached for her struggles - her "insanity" drew me in from the get-go, and it was a thrill to watch her overcome her trauma and step into her strength. And Tristan!!! So tender and snarky and epic. <3 <3 Elinore was a sweet
Lila Kims
Okay... so this was EPIC.

It took me about half the novella to really get into the story, but that might be my fault, idk. This book is beautiful and inspiring, featuring characters I was absolutely in love with by the last page. Fern and Tristan are amazing and I can't get enough of them.

The premise is SO original! What the author did with the whole imaginary-friend, rift-between-worlds idea... It was just brilliant. And I thought it was especially cool how Fern could see both worlds at the same
Deborah O'Carroll
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was a completely fascinating book and I'd never read anything like it! Hospitals etc. give me the willies which is why it doesn't get ALL THE STARS but otherwise I really enjoyed it and especially loved Tristan! :D Delightful and unique! *hugs story*
R.F. Gammon
So I'd heard quite a bit about this book thanks to many of my friends here on Goodreads, and when it went on sale, I snagged it. Sweet deal - $.99! I started it in the afternoon and read until ten o'clock, when my dad made me go to bed with literally two pages to go. So I got up at 5:30 in the morning to finish it.

And it was SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD, y'all. Amazing. Totally worth the hype.

Likes:
-Fern. She was a very unconventional heroine, and I just loved her so much. She was realistic for all the
Claire Banschbach
I'm at like 4.5-5 stars right now. This was super cool and fun!

I loved the concept of the imaginary friend who's actually real! I kind of love stories with alternate worlds/realities, and this was fantastic. At first I thought there was no way everything could be resolved with how short the book looked, but it ended up being maybe just the right length. I did want a bit more detail on things, like the science-y stuff, but it works as is.

Loved all the characters! Fern was great and I enjoyed se
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for thematic elements
Wow, that was . . . just wow! This book is pretty awesome, ya'll.

First things first: THAT COVER! *swoon* I am in love! So gorgeous and so perfectly portrays the story! Simply lovely!

While the paranormal\speculative\sci-fi genre is not one I often read, and I have very few favorites, I was immediately drawn into this one! The character of Fern was realistic and relatable (even if you don't still have an imaginary friend. :D) from the very first page. I also love her niece, Elinor. The author did
Gabriellyn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whew!!!!! That was AMAZING!
Victoria Howell
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. It was creative and I loved the concept. :)
Mackenzie
WHAT?! I literally read this in one car ride. This was EPIC! Please read this!
Essie-Marie W.
I finished The Girl Who Could See, and OH MY WORD it was amazing!!! 😍 This book got me hooked from page one and left me in a squealing mess (which is a compliment in its highest form) at the end. I'm so glad I got to read it. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. I don't care what genres you read. You have to read The Girl Who Could See. It's phenomenal. EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!!! The story is original, the plot is intriguing, and the characters are phenomenal. Go read it. Now.
ashley nicole
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Tristan had never been the nightmare. My desire to be 'normal' was - to become something I was never meant to be. Safe and complacent. To survive, but not to live.
"There's so much more than that."

I saw the raving reviews on here and I was just like "I've got to read this one". First off, I'm not a huge fan of science fiction and this book started off a little rough for me, but once I got into it I really enjoyed it! There are so many great themes about being different, letting go, and sa
Nicole Dust
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly I don’t know what I think about the story. I’m just happy that I was able to finish a book. XD When I reread I will do a proper review.
Angela Watts
STORY

Besides being occasionally difficult to imagine and sometimes things weren't too vivid (might just be my over-stressed brain, though), the story was fast-paced and so sweet!

I loved how the plot never grew boring. Novellas can either be too crammed with action or too slow. This one was a great balance.

It also never got "dumb". As in, it was a good sci-fi without mumbo-jumbo or pushed agendas. That made it lots of fun as the story unfolded and the other world was explained.

THEMES

The theme o
Emily
The Girl Who Could See is the story of a young woman whose imaginary friend never left. As an adult with responsibilities, this odd friend is still there for her to talk to. And now that she is older, he is begins to tell her of a deadly danger facing the world that onlu she can stop because she is the only one who can see him. Is he a product of her overactive imagination? Or a real person in dire need of help?

The Girl Who Could See is awesome. I could hardly put it down and moved it to my favo
Kara
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
my rating is 4.5 :)

"They say every child had an imaginary friend. Mine never left." This begins Fern's story and once you start it, it will have you captivated until the very end! Loved Fern's character (I picture her to look like younger version of actress Karen Gillian)! She's taking care of her niece, working hard and TRYING to live a normal life....this tends to be a challenge with her ominous visions and Tristan's constant attempts to get her attention (should she ignore him this time or te
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Who else thinks this book needs a sequel/prequel??? 3 9 Nov 04, 2019 02:34PM

• The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Unblemished (Unblemished #1)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Window Fellow
  • Fawkes
  • Five Star Spy (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #7)
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • 100 Days of Sunlight
  • The Lost Girl of Astor Street
As the daughter of missionaries, KARA SWANSON spent her childhood running barefoot through the lush jungles of Papua New Guinea. Able to relate with characters dropped into a unique new world, she quickly fell in love with the fantasy genre.

Swanson is the award-winning author of The Girl Who Could See and Peter Pan retelling/sequel Dust (Enclave Publishing, July 2020). She helps young writers ex