Start by marking “La llamada de Cthulhu” as Want to Read:
La llamada de Cthulhu

La llamada de Cthulhu

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  34,672 ratings  ·  1,929 reviews
La llamada de Cthulhu (The Call of Cthulhu, en inglés) es uno de los relatos cortos más conocidos de H. P. Lovecraft, escrito en el verano de 1926 y publicado en febrero de 1928. Es el único relato escrito por Lovecraft en el cual aparece Cthulhu.
El relato propició el nacimiento de los llamados mitos de Cthulhu, relatos y novelas basados en la idea de las criaturas de
Published December 13th 2016 (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about La llamada de Cthulhu, please sign up.
Luke If you're looking for good fantasy/horror, this is not the book for you, friend. This is actually a non-fiction piece, and the secret language used in…moreIf you're looking for good fantasy/horror, this is not the book for you, friend. This is actually a non-fiction piece, and the secret language used in it is actually the language of the Necromicon. The whole thing is written in this language, yet everyone is able to understand it. It just goes to show how true the stories really are-- which make them that much more frightening.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.(less)
Mario There is an edition of "The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories" (Penguin, 1999, 420 pages). It has an "Explanatory notes" section, in the note 9…moreThere is an edition of "The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories" (Penguin, 1999, 420 pages). It has an "Explanatory notes" section, in the note 9 can be read:
"On the pronunciation of Cthulu Lovecraft has left several accounts, all slightly differing; his associates have also supplied contradictory testimonies. The most definitive statement by Lovecraft occurs in a letter of 1934: '...the word is supposed to represent a fumbling human attempt to catch the phonetics of an absolutely non-human word. The name of the hellish entity was invented by beings whose vocal organs were not like man's, hence it has no relation to the human speech equipment. The syllables were determined by a physiological equipment wholly unlike ours, hence could never be uttered perfectly by human throats ... The actual sound -- as nearly as any human organs could imitate it or human letters record it -- may be taken as something like Khlûl'-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, hence the h represents the guttural thickness.' (SL V.10-11)".

On the other hand, I found this: https://youtu.be/BkGqJqvWOUs(less)

·  34,672 ratings  ·  1,929 reviews

Start your review of La llamada de Cthulhu
Stephen
This here, folks, is the most impressive image of Cthulhu that I’ve come across:
Photobucket
He just looks so damn regal, this eldritch, malevolent entity that appears part octopus kraken, part dragon, part human caricature…the so called "mountain who walks."

Yes, I admit that I’m a Lovecraft/Cthulhu mythos junkie. I can’t help it. I think his stories are just amazing.

Depending on which HPL story I’ve most recently consumed, I vacillate regarding what is my absolute favorite HPL tale, The Call of Cthulhu
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Lovecraft does not waste a single word. Every expression, every phrase, is masterfully selected to evoke a sense of the macabre. Like a masterful surgeon, Lovecraft’s meticulous prose is methodical and scrupulous.

Such expertise is carried across the body of his writing, though The Call of Cthulhu is undoubtedly the best example. This story captures so much of Lovecraft’s twisted imagination; it is the pinnacle of his writing, the best of his form. The brilliance of it resides in the way it can
Lyn
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps no story more defines H.P. Lovecraft’s eldritch hold on speculative fiction than The Call of Cthulhu.

Pronounced: Cthulhu.

First published in 1928, in Weird Tales magazine, this launched what is now known as the Cthulhu Mythos. It was here, as much as his earlier unspeakable horrors like Dagon and The Tomb and The Nameless City, that formed what is today known as Lovecraftian; but it was great Cthulhu that gave this sub-genre it’s definition and a face from which to leer down upon poor,
Bill Kerwin

As a Lovecraft fan, I can easily demonstrate why this story is significant, but explaining exactly why it is so terrifying is a much more difficult thing to do.

So, easy things first.

The Call of Cthulhu is significant—at least to Lovecraft fans—because it is: 1) the first story in which we encounter Cthulhu himself, 2) the story which includes the first explicit rationale for the Cthulhu mythos, 3) the only H.P. Lovecraft story in which a human actually sees a god, and 4) the first production of
Orient

A BR with a faithful member of Cthulhu Cult, Craig.

Quite a nice ride to sunset with Cthulhu. I liked the spooky atmosphere, the info about the Cthulhu Cult and Old Ones,and the tickles that it gave to unbelievers! :) It would have been really cool to get more limbs flying from the main Thing, but the ending was quite nice :)
Jason Koivu
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, fantasy
What better time to read The Call of Cthulhu than on Halloween?! Probably should've read this one by now, but I've been holding off for a while, waiting for that special occasion.

I do that with some books, usually classics. There's a Steinbeck or two I'm keeping in my proverbial back pocket for when I'm in the right mood or need to get out of a reading funk.

The Call of Cthulhu is pure horror. It's terrifying. If I'd been wearing boots, I'd be quaking in them. Reading this reminded me of reading
Carol
"This momentous story---which introduced the ersatz mythology that came to be called the 'Cthulhu Mythos'---was written in the summer of 1926."

It begins...."The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

A locked manuscript of a recently deceased elderly grand-uncle, an authority on ancient inscriptions, leads to bizzare and frightening research resulting in discovery of a monster like human caricature with a pulpy tentacled

Alejandro
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His most famous work!

LOVECRAFT'S SIGNATURE WORK

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Easily the most known story by H.P. Lovecraft and the text which gives a formal “birth” to the Cthulhu Mythos, along with the mention of the “fake” book of Necronomicon, inspiring dozens of other writers to
Jason
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
What’s great about a Lovecraftian horror story, besides the fact that his writing is eerily similar to that of Jason Morais, is that it can afford such a welcome reprieve from a weekend otherwise consumed by madness and violence, the kind of violence that disturbs the soul to its core.

“The Call of Cthulhu” is the story of a man who uncovers evidence of otherworldly beings residing in a state of hibernation deep beneath the surface of the Earth’s oceans. Though the image of Cthulhu is by no means
Leonard Gaya
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Call of Cthulhu is, to all appearances, a rather short and negligible story (little more than 30 pages long). And yet, it’s undoubtedly one of the most iconic novellas by H.P. Lovecraft, and one of his significant early achievements (with, perhaps, The Rats in the Walls). A novella which has spurred the imagination of countless fans, artists, writers, game designers and triggered many imitations.

In this story, we find the first mentions (to my knowledge) of nightmarish cyclopean
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Read for February Reading Sprint-2019 in Buddy Reads.

3.5 (rounded to 4 because I enjoyed it)

Yes, I had no intentions of starting this book and the only reason I decided to read it was the fact that it was super short, and yet it took me a long time to finish
Dante
"Who knows the end?".
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
They had come from the stars, and had brought Their images with Them.

description

The Call of Cthulhu is truly a horror story without the need of any graphic violence. Just the idea of the cult of Cthulhu (how it came to be and what its purpose is) gives me shivers down my spine.

This is my first experience with H.P. Lovecraft. But it will not be my last because I like his style very much.
Cathryn
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lovecraft's writing style is just not my cuppa and that's why I thought this was only OK. Even though this was a short story it felt like it took me forever to get through. I'm all for purple prose but Lovecraft describes things in 2 pages when he really only needed 2 sentences. Verbose is putting it mildly.

I always wanted to read this so that I would better understand what people were talking about when they mention Cthulhu. Now I do. Cthulhu is an interesting concept and I wanted to know more
Paula W
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you like to read boring stories with no characterization, no dialogue, lazy descriptions, and rampant racism, this is for you. As for me, one star is a bit too generous.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, horror
A nice change from reading the story. The narrative choice for this tale was well done with a nice twist at the end. I've listened to this twice in one day!
Mimi
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me, 2013, classics
For those who enjoy rifling through old research notes, piecing together missing data, making sense of the big picture, and then being left hanging at the end.

I'm kidding, of course. The best part of any horror story is that it leaves you hanging. No explanation, no resolution, no sense of closure.

This story is told in a series of personal accounts in which the narrator pieces together what he thinks was the cause of his granduncle's mysterious sudden death, speculating that the late uncle's
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Very creepy and atmospheric, in an old-fashioned way. Not really my thing, but it kept my interest well enough. 3 1/2 stars.

Disclaimer: I'm not into the horror genre and I've never been a Lovecraft fan, although I did read The Dunwich Horror once upon a time. But I was reading and trying to understand Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald yesterday, and in the course of researching the Cthulhu aspects of that story I found this one online at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cal.... It's worth
Char
This was an audio re-read of The Call of Cthulhu for me. This audio came through the AudioBlast newsletter and I requested it right away.

I enjoyed listening to this performance. It had a full dramatization going on with sounds effects, screams and whatnot in the background. However, at times the main narrator went a little flat for me.

Overall, I enjoyed this performance and would recommend it to fans of cosmic horror and Lovecraft.

*Thanks to Audioblast for the opportunity to listen to this
Khashayar Mohammadi
In high school, my best friend was utterly obsessed with Lovecraft, which meant I was constantly force-fed numerous short stories of his which I never really enjoyed or remembered fondly. After a decade or so I decided to go back and revisit Lovecraft, and I gotta admit I was pleasantly surprised. The Horror he depicts is a metaphysical horror that very few writers have been able to replicate, but his prose, though often overstimulating, is engrossing and poetic. Xenophobia aside, I enjoyed this ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm beginning to think this is one of those books I'll never write a review of; one of the books simply for me to enjoy.

***

I may be able to write a good review of this sometime. This time I'll just say I need more stars.

***

Just as great as the first time I read it. That didn't change.
Mir
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that great as a stand-alone story, but I can see why it is influential -- it is dense with background material that practically begs to be expanded upon.
J.L.   Sutton
Chicken mole tamales wrapped in corn husks, like H.P. Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu, burst with flavor. You experience the authenticity and the complex and dark, rich tastes in every bite you take. Every bite, or rather Lovecraft's narrative, takes you back to ancient rites alien to the ways of the modern world (now read as 2015). Makes me wonder, just for an instant, what a really good homemade tamale has in common with the modern world. Tamales are anachronistic, aren't they? Sort of like the ...more
So- I read this for my PopSugar prompt: “book by a local author.”

And I sort of wished I’d picked something else, mostly because Lovecraft was apparently a huge racist, and it shows in his writing. He managed to demonize probably every group of people on earth that weren’t white Christians, up to and including Eskimos.

This wasn’t scary. It’s told from the perspective of a man compiling notes and researching this strange cult his grandfather stumbled upon. There was no feeling in this story. No-
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classic, horror
I'm still not entirely sure that I understand the hype, but it was an interesting story nonetheless, and Lovecraft, pretentious has he is, has a talent for crafting horror with deep psychological undertones.
Joey Woolfardis
One can easily see why "Lovecraftian" is a thing from this, and why only people who are true devotees can really write anything in-depth about his stuff.

His writing style is utterly sublime. I got vagaries of Fitzgerald-in terms of writing style and their ability to put every single word to good use, with no spare sentences put adrift on the page-but unlike F. Scott, the story was as riveting as the prose. You can feel the tension seeping from the page as you read on.

It's hard to say much else
Mike (the distracted librarian)
I wish I could rate this book purely on the merits of literary talent, but to do so would be irresponsible to those who might be swayed by my recommendation. I don't see many references to Lovecraft's personal flaws in this review section, so I feel obligated to at least mention some.

While I was captivated by the profound nuance of the ideas being conveyed in the story, there were a few remarks that caught my attention as potentially harboring significant undertones; so I decided to research
Carrie Vaughn
I was not impressed. For all the talk this particular book has gotten in my circles, it really wasn't very interesting a read. The description was interesting but I didn't find the book as anything monumental save for it being one of the first of its kind. The book was a quick read and allowed a glimpse into the world Lovecraft was trying to build, but taken on its own, it left me curious why it was so impressive to most of the genre. Perhaps taken with the other studies in the mythos I would be ...more
Silvana
Huh. Okay. Finally I got to read this seminal work of fantasy that had and will continue to spawn many reimaginings. It was interesting, more like an account of events rather than a story. The feeling of familiarity was immense. I just had to smile when reading passages that immediately reminded me of a bunch of other novels.

"The Old Ones were gone now... But their dead bodies had told the secrets in dreams to the first men, who formed a cult which had never died."

Sounds familiar? Yeah, if you
Anuradha
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who're into being scared out of their wits by the maladies of the human mind. I think.
Recommended to Anuradha by: Neil Gaiman
We need to start this off with Metallica's The Call of Ktulu, because of the obvious.

A few months back, I saw this interview of Neil Gaiman, where he raved on and on about H.P. Lovecraft. Now, I'd heard of the latter, but I hadn't really read any book of his, and so on hearing this, I did some more research into said author, and discovered that his books delved into morbid, macabre themes; themes I'm rather fond of, to be honest. A few weeks after that, I read Fabian's review of A Study in
How Would Gmail Help If Can’t Send Mails To Anyone? 1 1 Feb 01, 2020 06:17AM
Around the Year i...: The Call of Cthulu, by H.P. Lovecraft 2 47 Oct 27, 2019 02:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: The Call of Cthulhu 1 33 Oct 23, 2019 06:15AM
Book description of this book not in English 2 13 Oct 20, 2018 03:37AM
Catching up on Cl...: The Call of Cthulhu - October 2017 78 131 Nov 02, 2017 10:14PM

• The Music of Eric Zahn
  • Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • The Dunwich Horror
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
  • The Cask of Amontillado
  • The Raven
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Dagon
  • L'orrore di Salem (Il Meglio di Weird Tales #4)
  • The Space-Eaters
  • The Willows
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
339 likes
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.” 229 likes