Start by marking “A Life Removed” as Want to Read:

A Life Removed

Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette have put plenty of criminals behind bars. But a new terror is stalking their city. The killer’s violent crimes are ritualistic but seemingly indiscriminate. As the death toll rises, the detectives must track a murderer without motive. The next kill could be anyone… maybe even one of their own.

Officer Aaron Pimental sees no hop
Published May 2017 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Life Removed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Removed

Start your review of A Life Removed
Carrie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette have been called in to catch a new killer that seems to hunt their victims at random. With no clues as to how or why the victims are being chosen or just how the killer is managing to complete the murders the detectives find themselves chasing down clues.

Officer Aaron Pimental has been in a bit of a personal spiral with his girlfriend pulling away and depressed with life. Aaron was at the scene of one of the killings and finds himself really losing
Zoeytron
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zoeytron by: Kimberly Yerina and Frank Errington
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Trusting, faithful followers. Believers and redeemers. Soul stealers. Lemmings. One is evolving, one is regaining his sight. A man with a God complex and a disarming smile. Do not let him into your heart.

A tantalizing mixture of police procedural and horror. The blend makes for a tasty read if you don't mind a healthy helping of gore. I thought it was swell.
Frank Errington
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

Not exactly what I was expecting from Jason Parent, but WOW, what a great read.

“'Are you looking for some company?' she asked, knowing they wouldn’t be talking to her for any other reason. 'Actually, we were looking for you.' The man’s smile and his voice’s velvet tone oozed with charm."

Eliza, one of the victims of a serial killer like none other. Assigned to the case are Detective Bruce Marklin, a man no one liked, and his partner, Detective Jocelyn Beaudette.

“They sawed through all
Kimberly
A LIFE REMOVED, by Jason Parent, is an intense genre combination horror novel. It encompasses a crime/police procedural thriller with dark, sinister action, gore, and an added abundance of psychological horror. The end result is a novel that you feel you've "lived" through, so well defined are the characters and events that unfold. I'd wager that there is a character in this book that almost everyone could relate--in some part--to.

Aaron Pimental is a policeman with the "usual" duty of waiting to
 Reading Reindeer
Review of A LIFE REMOVED
by Jason Parent

I found this mystery/thriller novel riveting. Jason Parent has quite a talent for writing complexity, and truly I did not see the twists this novel would take. Everything fit together quite well, though, and the tapestry is tautly woven and ultimately horrifying. It's easy to dismiss such a story as fiction, but the discerning reader is left pondering, “But what if--?”

This is not a good-guys vs. bad guys simplicity. This plot is complicated, as are the char
Lisa
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd story. To say that I wanted to maybe go out and kill a noisy neighbor and munch on their heart might be a little overblown.......but then I had a snickers. I didn't get the energy boost from it that I might have received from a bloody, still beating heart, but hey, the neighbors are still alive! I loved everything about this story. The murderers and their motives were truly screwey. I like that. The police however were bumblers. Think keystone cops, without the billyclubs. While ...more
Adam Light
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no secret - I am a huge fanboy for Jason Parent, and for good reason. The man is a talented writer, and as long as he is scribbling word, I will read them. Not to be cliche, but I would read his letter to Santa with wide-eyes wonder.
With the gushing out of the way, I also have to disclose Jason is a good friend as well. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with him a couple times, and he is a great guy. The fact that I know him bears no impact on my review of this book.
I really enjoyed A L
Nev Murray
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"To summarise: Jason Parent is a master storyteller. From the first word, you will be lost in the story. Just remember this: it’s make believe. Or is it?"

See here for the full review:

Malina Skrobosinski
Faith is for the lemmings.

Let me start by saying that this is the first novel I've read by Jason Parent. I can't say that I loved it, though it wasn't a terrible read, it just wasn't for me.

Let's start with the premise of the story shall we... it's told from several points of view, the main being Aaron Pimental, a small time police officer who's life seems to be rather mundane, he's been with his girlfriend, Arianna, for 6 years and things couldn't be more "routine" for them if they were marrie
Bandit
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and listened to the author's books before and have come to expect a sort of lowbrow entertainment, but I'm thrilled to see that he's actually improving as an author. With this one, somewhat unimaginatively named thriller, Parent enters a new territory. It's more ambitious, the dialogue is stronger and more importantly the characters are finally acquiring some dimensionality. This might have been just another middle of the road cops chasing a serial killer story, but Parent elevated the ...more
Bev
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette have put plenty of criminals behind bars. But now there is a killer out there somewhere who kills without motive, and doesn't care who he/she kills. Officer Aaron Pimental was the first officer at the first murder. He is going through some personal issues. There is a paranormal through the story, which isn't a high side for my liking. There is some descriptions of murder. Can the police figure out the killer is? You will need to read the book to fin ...more
Janeandjerry
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was given to me in exchange for my honest review from hiddengemsromance.com and I was hooked from the very beginning of this one.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

Fall River, Massachusetts has a serial killer and it’s up to Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette to find him before more bodies pile up. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a pattern to his killing and he’s getting bolder. Things really get rolling when it appears that Officer Aaron Pimental knows the killer. But are things what they seem?

A dark and twisted killer sets things in motion that he’s been planning for awhile. The det
Danielle Urban
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Life Removed by Jason Parent is a thrilling criminal tale. Inside, readers will follow an investigation. Murder happening more than once. A former officer once good turns into a monster. With two of the best detectives following the evidence, it's only time until Aaron Pimental's life stops. The chase is exciting. The detectives, Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette, are interesting to follow. A killer is loose and it will take time before they stop him. Death, danger, and intrigue are covered ...more
Ann Keeran
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a ritualistic murderer comes to town, Detectives Marklin and Beaudette have their hands full. With no known motive for the killings they must work through a maze of potential suspects. Officer Aaron Pimental would like to solve this crime not only for promotion but as a way to straighten out his life. His girlfriend is slowly slipping away and he is losing his friends to religious mania. Will he be the hero who saves the day? Jason Parent has written an amazing thriller with lots of twists. ...more
Martha Brindley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my first read by Jason parent. The description was just a bit too vivid for me but nonetheless, a well written book. A mixture of horror and police procedural set in small town America. Good characterisation and plenty twists to keep you engrossed. A good plot with plenty suspense means I would recommend this book. Many thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Cat Ellington
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Featured at The Review Period with Cat Ellington from 2018-06-16 - 2018-06-30, my review of A Life Removed by Jason Parent has been archived for its place in The Complete Anthology series.

Thank you, Jason! You're a wonderful writer.

—Cat
Elke
'A Life Removed' is a thriller which runs the gamut from psychological to horror. When several bodies are found missing their hearts, detectives Marklin and Beaudette have a hard time investigating the case. The book has no fix POV, as parts of the story describe the police investigation, while others follow Aaron Pimental, who happened to be the first officer at the first crime scene. As a third angle, we have the viewpoint of the culprit, so we also know the who, how and where of each next mur ...more
Yvonne Davies
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
A serial killer terrorising Fall River, a city in Massachusetts and it is up to Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette to capture him and stop these violent killings. Officer Aaron Pimental was the first to respond to one of the crime scenes and from the start did not make a good impression on the detectives, but the further this case goes on, the more he found himself involved.
The partnership between the detectives was strong and they were good at bouncing ideas of each other. Due to Br
Karen
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a story! This story was full of feels and horror for me. I enjoyed the book, but found myself making faces at times. It is a well written crime thriller. The characters are very well formed and they pull you into the story completely.

A small town in Massachusetts is being terrorized by a killer who is brutal and very organized. The police are stumped and have no leads as to who the killer is. A well seasoned detective and a young detective are partnered to investigate and they work ve
Joyce
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3 and 1 / 2 stars

When the first victim is lured to her death and found in a dumpster, Officer Arron Pimental responds to the call. He is sickened by what he sees. The victim is naked and her heart has been removed.

Detectives Bruce Marklin, who no one likes and Jocelyn Beaudette show up at the scene. Aaron is offended by the cool manner in which Marklin takes in the scene. Beaudette is more human and able to feel more for the victim. They soon discover that this is not the first victim, and befo
Lynne
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There's a serial killer on the loose in Fall River, Massachusetts; someone who's seriously sick. He kills indiscriminately and cuts out his victims' hearts. Police officer Aaron Pimental finds himself thrust into the limelight when he's first on scene at another grisly murder, then later discovers friend Craig has also fallen prey to the killer. Detectives Marklin and Beaudette begin to wonder if there's more to Pimental than meets the eye.....

A Life Removed is an excellent police procedural cr
Courtney
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This fast-paced, psychological thriller/murder mystery is not for the faint of heart or the weak stomach (play on words ;) ). The narration was well done by Parent as he painted an intricate and multi-layered plot that engrosses the reader from page 1 through the epilogue. The shifts in perspectives add suspense in addition to knowledge we have and the other major characters do not, laying out insecurities and inner struggles. Content-wise, I felt like I was reading an episode for The Blacklist ...more
Carol Peace
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Officer Aaron Pimental attends a crime scene only to find a young lady naked and with her heart missing, detectives Marklin and Beaudette are to investigate the crime and when there are more bodies found it seems a serial killer has moved into their town. Marklin and Beaudette find it odd that Pimentall seems to turn up at their crime scenes more and more and they can't help wondering why.
This is a police procedural with added horror. It's told in the 3rd person and even though it changes to dif
PortlandAvidReader
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the better police procedurals I have read the last few years.

This is a really intriguing and well put together crime story with a bit of paranormal horror thrown in.

The police are finding staged and positioned naked bodies of people whose hearts have been hacked out. The author takes us through the process as detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette piece together the crimes. Bruce and Jocelyn are brilliant. Unfortunately for them, the other police staff seem to be inept to incompet
Lindsay
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have received this books as an ARC from netGalley with intentions of writing an honest and truthful review.

I have never read a book from Jason Parent, but have heard some really good things about his writing, so when I saw this one on NetGalley I wanted to give it a shot. Wow is all I can say I will be reading more books from him in the future. He is a well written author and awesome story teller. His book had my attention from the minute I started the book to the minute I finished the book.
Susan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A killer who removes the hearts of the victim is roaming the city and Detectives Bruce Marklin and Jocelyn Beaudette are assigned to the case. Unfortunately for Officer Aaron Pimental he becomes embroiled in the case.
An enjoyable, interesting read with some good twists.
A NetGalley Book
Michelle
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A definite page turner, and it'll keep you guessing. Recommended reading!!
Cath
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story of multiple murders, committed by a serial killer(s), being investigated by a rather jaded, older detective, Marklin, and his younger female partner Jocelyn. The first dead body is found by a young beat cop called Aaron, shocked at the sight of a horrific scene of a naked, young female body found dumped on some garbage in a back alley. His naïve reaction mucks about with the forensics on scene and doesn’t make him very popular with Marklin.

The story is quite dark and covers several group
Dallas Kitchens
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The writing is exceptional. Fast paced, easy to follow along, and more importantly, you care for the characters. Aaron turned out to be a weak kneed little worm, but with Jason's writing you don't see that coming until 3/4 of the way thru the book. It's full of surprises, twists, and turns, and shocks. I loved it, and if you like dark, and sleek, then this book surpasses a lot of what your expectations are about this book. It's a page Turner, I am a big fan of Jason's work, now all you have to d ...more

• The Black Freighter: A Caribbean Spy Thriller
  • Sky Ghosts: Initiation (Sky Ghosts #1)
  • Hot to Kill (Detective Amanda Lacey #2)
  • The Worried Man (Q.C. Davis Mystery, #1)
  • Power Divided (The Evolutionaries, #1)
  • More Than Evil
  • Wicked Gods (The Curse of the Allfather)
  • A Perfect Mother
  • The Venue
  • BULB
  • Gunsight Justice
  • The Author Life: A Collection of Essays on Craft, Marketing, and Mindset (The Career Author)
  • The Prince and the Poisoner (Carnival of Fae, #1)
  • The Sugar Queen
  • Mystic Bonds (Paranormal World, #1)
  • Sex Positions: How YOU Become Sexually Irresistible (Sex Positions, Sex Positions Advanced, Sex Position with Pictures, Sex Positions Book, Sex Guide, Sex Tips, Sex Techniques)
  • Spooky Action at a Distance (Lovelace Series #2)
  • Edge of Desperation (Wielder World, #1)
In his head, Jason Parent lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso.

In a prior life, Jason spent most of his time in front of a judge . . . as a civil litigator. When he