Start by marking “The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)” as Want to Read:
The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)

The Liar

(Eddie Flynn #3)

A must-read for fans of Lee Child, John Grisham and Michael Connelly. Combining gripping action and ingenious plotting, THE LIAR is the brilliant new legal thriller from the author of THE DEFENCE and THE PLEA.

'Plotting that takes the breath away.' Ian Rankin

'Steve is a fantastic thriller writer' Mark Billingham

IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE...

WHO IS DEADLIER ...

Leo

Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 16th 2017 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liar

Paromjit
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh writes some of the best legal thrillers I have ever read, and this is his best one yet. We are back with ex-con man, hustler, lawyer, and all round good guy, Eddie Flynn, facing his most challenging case yet. He is going to have to fully utilise his sleights of hand and draw on his ability to con. In the hours of darkness, Eddie gets a call from a man he knew in his younger days, Leonard Howell, asking Eddie to be his lawyer. Howell's 17 year old daughter, Caroline, has been abduc ...more
Liz Barnsley
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell Steve Cavanagh has REALLY gone for it this time with a most terrific, edge of the seat, courtroom drama come nutty addictive thriller. I mean nutty in the best way because it is totally addictive. Like when you open a tube of pringles and then realise you’ve eaten them all without really thinking about it. With The Liar once you pop you can’t stop.

Hey I like the Pringles comparison. I also like Pringles. And Eddie Flynn. Conman turned lawyer, in this book hovering between the two as
Josh
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, own, read_2018
When the daughter of a prominent businessman who runs a successful security firm goes missing, the only person who can be called upon to assist in facilitating the transaction of a hefty ransom is Eddie Flynn.

Leonard Howell, the father, trusts few, it's his former life on the opposite side of the law which draws him to Flynn, the one time criminal/hardman turned lawyer.

Nothing about the ransom drop is normal. For one, there's two drops scheduled simultaneously, secondly, the FBI have no knowle
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Liar is without a doubt my favourite book of the series so far. It’s got an absolutely cracking plot, and is filled with the kind of characters I enjoy reading about. In this one, Eddie takes on Leonard Howell’s case. His daughter has been kidnapped, and Eddie knows only too well what horrors this entails as he has been through the same thing (that’s not a spoiler btw, it’s in the blurb!).

What follows is an epic game of cloak and dagger. The reader is kept as much in the dark as Eddie is, wh
Tina Woodbury
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For all of my reviews: www.readingbetweenthepagesblog.wordpr...

He has done it again! Steve Cavanagh has created another captivating legal thriller! Over the past couple of months I have been playing catch-up on this series and this is my favorite to date!

Eddie Flynn is a former con man turned lawyer who can’t quite help but dive into his former ways from time to time. He loves his job, but does regret some of the decisions he has made. He has become increasingly frustrated that these decisions h
Mary
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
5 glittery 🌟

One of the best,highly addictive,beautifully plotted,twisty and compelling books I've ever had the pleasure of reading!!!

Highly recommended for all crime and mystery buffs!!!
Can't wait to read more by this author!
Christine
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In The Defence and The Plea, we got to know the flawed and lovable Eddie Flynn. Eddie Flynn is back in The Liar.

For those of you not in know, Steve Cavanagh has won many fans with his ace legal series, featuring Eddie Flynn. Flynn is the Del-Boy of the legal world, streetwise and smart. His background is grifting. He is now a defence lawyer, what we would call a barrister in the UK. His playground is open court, playing to the jury. He knows all about a good con. He is unconventional and prepare
Geevee
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Eddie helps a family friend, Lenny Howell, whose daughter has been kidnapped and who is about to bid for her freedom. As this happens an old mentor is drawn into a dark and haunting historic case and neither he nor Eddie know why this has surfaced now.

Can Eddie help, can Eddie find out and who is Lying?

This leads to another enjoyable and fast-paced Eddie Flynn adventure with a twisting and turning plot that has multiple layers.
Book Addict Shaun
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh just gets better and better. Eddie Flynn has quickly became one of my favourite fictional characters, he is just brilliant. The Liar was another thrilling and exhilarating ride full of the twists and turns that Steve Cavanagh so effortlessly delivers just when you least expect them. I have to say that I did work out a few of the twists before they came but the ones I didn’t were brilliant. There’s so much to take from these stories and the one here in The Liar is packed full of se ...more
Marianne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Liar is the third book in the Eddie Flynn series by Irish lawyer and author, Steve Cavanagh. Late one night, Eddie Flynn is asked to represent Leonard Howell, a man he knows from his childhood. He knows that Lenny’s 17-year-old daughter, Caroline has been missing for some weeks, but before Eddie can discover for what his services are required, he is served with a subpoena to hand over all documents pertaining to the murder trial of Julie Rosen. The two occurrences seem unrelated, but is it a ...more
🔮⚡️Voracious
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every so often an author comes along who writes books that completely blow your mind. Steve Cavanagh is one such author. The plotting, the pace, every chapter ending in a cliffhanger - could protagonist Eddie Flynn get any cooler? It would appear so, given that we're now into book 3 of this amazing series. This book, as with its predecessors is worthy of so much more than a 5 star rating. My only complaint? I now have to wait patiently for book 4 *sigh*
Alan Taylor
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steve Cavanagh's third Eddie Flynn novel is his best yet. Obviously inspired by Grisham and Connelly, with 'The Liar' Cavanagh comes very close to matching him. The story follows the same basic pattern of the previous two novels - an unusual case, lots of action, a courtroom battle in which more is at stake than meets the eye, short, fast moving chapters which, like Saturday morning Flash Gordon serials, end on cliffhangers which make you want to keep reading. Cavanagh is becoming a master of th ...more
Laura Rash
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As this series progresses the writing gets better & better, the plots get more complicated & twists make you gasp out loud! You could probably read these as standalones but I’d read them in order as I have bc it gives you the background on Eddie & helps you understand how he evolves in each one. Glad to have found this series & am on to the next.
Dick Reynolds
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has several sections that are pretty exciting but other parts are so dense that the reader has to buckle down and just push through. There are also a multitude of characters involved in the story and it's difficult at times to keep up with them.
Keith Nixon
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

New York-based con artist turned lawyer Eddie Flynn is back for a third story in this highly entertaining series. In The Liar, he has to work out who is telling the truth and who is... the liar.

It’s 2 August 2002 in Upstate New York and the baby is screaming. No matter what Julie tries she just can’t get him off to sleep. She’s tired and stressed. To help her nerves Julie takes a fix of crack. Through a drug addled haze, Julie thinks she sees a man dressed entirely in black standing over her bab
Raven
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having reviewed Steve Cavanagh’s two excellent previous Eddie Flynn thrillers, The Defence and The Plea  it is with some pleasure that I can say that the big guy has come up trumps again. Having converted me to the enjoyable world of the legal thriller, Cavanagh plunges his stalwart Flynn back into a compelling tale of kidnap and twisted family secrets…
The sharp-talking, quick thinking and utterly engaging character of Eddie Flynn lies at the heart of the success of this America based series to
Roy
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guilty pleasure. Crime law thriller. Ex con man now lawyer in his recent adventure. Great 1st person chatacter, great plotting and twists/turns at every corner. Would definitely recommend this series but starting from book 1 would be best but isnt 100% required.
Hastings75
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read. Read in a day!
Bring on the next episode of Eddie Flynn.
Noelle
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I owe a huge debt of book-loving gratitude to Kate of Bibliophile Book Club for introducing me to Steve Cavanagh’s books as it renewed my love of Legal Thrillers! I had stopped reading this sub genre a while ago, no particular reason…it just happened…and then I was introduced to Eddie Flynn and OMFG, my love returned…..tenfold! Mind……blown!!

So what happens in the latest novel? Well we return to the Big Apple (New York) where we come face to face with fear, loss, manipulation, betrayal, bending t
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I actually won an advanced copy of this book in giveaway over on Twitter, so many thanks to the publisher and author.

The Liar is the third book in the Eddie Flynn series. Having not read the others in the series I found this to work well as a stand alone. Saying that though I will definitely be going back to read the others.

I have to admit to steering away from novels to do with court rooms and the legal system. I find they can be slightly long winded and have lots of jargon that I don’t underst
Kat
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best so far in this wonderful series and I just raced through it, such clever writing and a plot full of twists to make it a 5 Star read. So now on to the the next ...Eddie Flynn you are amazing !!
Deborah
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the THIRD excellent legal thriller I’ve read in the last few months. In my reviews of both A Criminal Defense by William L Myers Jnr and Say Nothing by Brad Parks, I commented on the fact it’d been a while since I’d read any courtroom dramas / legal procedurals, but I’ve certainly been getting my fix recently and it’s reminded me how much I loved early work by Scott Turow and Steve Martini.

I’ve not read any of Cavanagh’s series featuring Eddie Flynn before but I’m keen to rectify that no
Fiona
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this author. I get totally swept away in the drama of the court room sections. Don’t read any spoiler reviews, just immerse yourself.
Dana
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
My first Steve Cavanagh book but definitely not my last. Well written, fast paced and well thought out. My only complaint is I lost sleep as I couldn't put it down!
Sharah McConville
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Wow, what an exciting story! I will have to go back and read the first two books in the series. I won The Liar( Eddie Flynn#3) by Steve Cavanagh through Goodreads Giveaways.
Felicia Glover
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh's character, Eddie Flynn is one of my all time favorite lawyers. Mr. Flynn is not perfect and does suffer from some minor character flaws, but his heart is in the right place. Great read.
Karen Wenborn
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Won this in a Good Reads giveaway.
What a stunning book!
Expertly woven tale, gripping to the last. Eddie is my new hero, will be buying the other books.
Jay Dwight
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm always a little nervous when I read another in a series I love. Will I enjoy it as much as the others, or are my expectations too high? Nothing to worry about here. I love the Eddie Flynn character, the quick thinking, ex-conman lawyer. His return in book #3 is just an enjoyable as the first two.

My memory of the other two is that the pace in this one is not quite so frenetic, but this is not a criticism. An excellently shaped plot was enough to hook me very early, and I devoured this quickl
Susan Angela Wallace
the liar by Steve Cavanagh.
an absolutely fantastic read. hooked from page one. Leonard Howell daughter has gone missing. the Fed's and cops are involved but Leonard can only rely on one man to help him. Eddie Flynn. this was a shocking twister of a read that keeps you reading until the last page. and what a twist. 5*.a must read.
Tazkatie
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant..
Steve Cavanagh was born and raised in Belfast before leaving for Dublin at the age of eighteen to study Law. He currently practices civil rights law and has been involved in several high profile cases. Selected for the Amazon Rising Stars programme 2015. ACES award winner 2015 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. The Defence is his debut novel.

Follow on twitter @SSCav

Eddie Flynn (4 books)
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn #4)