Start by marking “The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)” as Want to Read:
The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)

The Liar

(Eddie Flynn #3)

IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE...

WHO IS DEADLIER ...
Leonard Howell's worst nightmare has come true: his daughter Caroline has been kidnapped. Not content with relying on the cops, Howell calls the only man he trusts to get her back.

... THE MAN WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH ...
Eddie Flynn knows what it's like to lose a daughter and vows to bring Caroline home safe. Once a con artist, now a
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 16th 2017 by Orion (first published May 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Liar, please sign up.
Reqsme Twisted is now out there but this book hasn't been published yet in US only UK. I went to his website and found that out. Not sure about the The Cross…moreTwisted is now out there but this book hasn't been published yet in US only UK. I went to his website and found that out. Not sure about the The Cross - it wasn't listed for UK or US. https://www.stevecavanaghauthor.com/(less)

Start your review of The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)
Paromjit
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh writes some of the best legal thrillers I have ever read, and this is his best one yet. We are back with ex-con man, hustler, lawyer, and all round good guy, Eddie Flynn, facing his most challenging case yet. He is going to have to fully utilise his sleights of hand and draw on his ability to con. In the hours of darkness, Eddie gets a call from a man he knew in his younger days, Leonard Howell, asking Eddie to be his lawyer. Howell's 17 year old daughter, Caroline, has been abduc ...more
Matt
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In this third legal thriller by Steve Cavanagh, Eddie Flynn faces one of the most daunting cases he’s ever faced, while being stuck in a web of deceit and lies that gets even more tangled with every plot twist. Having all but lost a connection to his family, Eddie Flynn has vowed to keep his legal practice quiet and above board. When Flynn receives a late night call from an old family friend, he is intrigued enough to make his way over to potentially sign-up a new client. On his way out the door ...more
Liz Barnsley
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell Steve Cavanagh has REALLY gone for it this time with a most terrific, edge of the seat, courtroom drama come nutty addictive thriller. I mean nutty in the best way because it is totally addictive. Like when you open a tube of pringles and then realise you’ve eaten them all without really thinking about it. With The Liar once you pop you can’t stop.

Hey I like the Pringles comparison. I also like Pringles. And Eddie Flynn. Conman turned lawyer, in this book hovering between the two as
Josh
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, own, read_2018
When the daughter of a prominent businessman who runs a successful security firm goes missing, the only person who can be called upon to assist in facilitating the transaction of a hefty ransom is Eddie Flynn.

Leonard Howell, the father, trusts few, it's his former life on the opposite side of the law which draws him to Flynn, the one time criminal/hardman turned lawyer.

Nothing about the ransom drop is normal. For one, there's two drops scheduled simultaneously, secondly, the FBI have no knowle
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Liar is without a doubt my favourite book of the series so far. It’s got an absolutely cracking plot, and is filled with the kind of characters I enjoy reading about. In this one, Eddie takes on Leonard Howell’s case. His daughter has been kidnapped, and Eddie knows only too well what horrors this entails as he has been through the same thing (that’s not a spoiler btw, it’s in the blurb!).

What follows is an epic game of cloak and dagger. The reader is kept as much in the dark as Eddie is, wh
Brenda
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible to have an overly complicated plot? This book comes close. Or maybe my attention span was a little shorter than usual. I enjoyed the book and am eager to continue the series.
Adrienne
Stupendous, incredible, exciting. A brilliant legal thriller (also domestic suspence and mystery), superbly plotted and beautifully written. Featuring Eddie Flynn - a man who learnt all the con games from his father and became a defense attorney. This skill meant he quickly realised he was being played. Plus he had the ability to see both sides of a game. But it take him quite awhile to understand what the actual game was.
I particularly liked Cavanagh's characters - good and bad - because of how
Carolyn
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Cavanagh writes gripping, well-plotted legal dramas which also contain thrilling action outside the court setting. With compelling characters, the author manages to write a fast-paced and suspenseful story. I can’t understand why I only became aware of his books several months ago, and this is the third book I have read by Cavanagh. I definitely intend to read the first two books in the Eddie Flynn series very soon.

Eddie Flynn is a compassionate man and a lawyer. In his past, he was a con
Tina Woodbury
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For all of my reviews: www.readingbetweenthepagesblog.wordpr...

He has done it again! Steve Cavanagh has created another captivating legal thriller! Over the past couple of months I have been playing catch-up on this series and this is my favorite to date!

Eddie Flynn is a former con man turned lawyer who can’t quite help but dive into his former ways from time to time. He loves his job, but does regret some of the decisions he has made. He has become increasingly frustrated that these decisions h
Mary
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
5 glittery 🌟

One of the best,highly addictive,beautifully plotted,twisty and compelling books I've ever had the pleasure of reading!!!

Highly recommended for all crime and mystery buffs!!!
Can't wait to read more by this author!
Christine
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In The Defence and The Plea, we got to know the flawed and lovable Eddie Flynn. Eddie Flynn is back in The Liar.

For those of you not in know, Steve Cavanagh has won many fans with his ace legal series, featuring Eddie Flynn. Flynn is the Del-Boy of the legal world, streetwise and smart. His background is grifting. He is now a defence lawyer, what we would call a barrister in the UK. His playground is open court, playing to the jury. He knows all about a good con. He is unconventional and prepare
The Cats’ Mother
The Liar is the third book in the Eddie Flynn series, which has rapidly become one of my favourites, due to the combination of a highly likeable, smart but fallible hero, with highly complicated but deeply satisfying adrenaline-fuelled plots. Each mystery stands alone, but I recommend reading the series in order, including the prequel novella. I only started these because I received an ARC of the next one, Thirteen, from NetGalley, but I am so glad I invested in the earlier books.

Con-man turned
Geevee
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Eddie helps a family friend, Lenny Howell, whose daughter has been kidnapped and who is about to bid for her freedom. As this happens an old mentor is drawn into a dark and haunting historic case and neither he nor Eddie know why this has surfaced now.

Can Eddie help, can Eddie find out and who is Lying?

This leads to another enjoyable and fast-paced Eddie Flynn adventure with a twisting and turning plot that has multiple layers.
Mike
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, I just finished my last Eddie Flynn/Steve Cavanagh book. I’m really sad. A while back I was searching for a new author, and I happen to come across Steve Cavanagh and started with “Th1rt3en” - which is book #4 in the Eddie Flynn series. As I mentioned in my other reviews of this series, I liked it so much I went back and got all the books in this series and read them in order - ending with “The Liar”(#3). Now, I’m reduced to praying for “Eddie Flynn #5”! These are all great books by a grea ...more
Marianne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Liar is the third book in the Eddie Flynn series by Irish lawyer and author, Steve Cavanagh. Late one night, Eddie Flynn is asked to represent Leonard Howell, a man he knows from his childhood. He knows that Lenny’s 17-year-old daughter, Caroline has been missing for some weeks, but before Eddie can discover for what his services are required, he is served with a subpoena to hand over all documents pertaining to the murder trial of Julie Rosen. The two occurrences seem unrelated, but is it a ...more
Book Addict Shaun
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh just gets better and better. Eddie Flynn has quickly became one of my favourite fictional characters, he is just brilliant. The Liar was another thrilling and exhilarating ride full of the twists and turns that Steve Cavanagh so effortlessly delivers just when you least expect them. I have to say that I did work out a few of the twists before they came but the ones I didn’t were brilliant. There’s so much to take from these stories and the one here in The Liar is packed full of se ...more
Carrie
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every so often an author comes along who writes books that completely blow your mind. Steve Cavanagh is one such author. The plotting, the pace, every chapter ending in a cliffhanger - could protagonist Eddie Flynn get any cooler? It would appear so, given that we're now into book 3 of this amazing series. This book, as with its predecessors is worthy of so much more than a 5 star rating. My only complaint? I now have to wait patiently for book 4 *sigh*
Tracy Fenton
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been on an Eddie Flynn binge read this week as his latest book Thirteen is coming out soon and being the OCD person I am I have to read books in order, and boy have I enjoyed myself. If you haven’t met Eddie yet – then trust me when I say you need to make his acquaintance and read The Defence first. Eddie Flynn is an ex-con/hustler and now a hot shot New York lawyer. Each book gets better in my opinion and The Liar is FANTASTIC.

The Liar is a gripping, fast paced legal thriller with an edge.
Raven
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having reviewed Steve Cavanagh’s two excellent previous Eddie Flynn thrillers, The Defence and The Plea  it is with some pleasure that I can say that the big guy has come up trumps again. Having converted me to the enjoyable world of the legal thriller, Cavanagh plunges his stalwart Flynn back into a compelling tale of kidnap and twisted family secrets…
The sharp-talking, quick thinking and utterly engaging character of Eddie Flynn lies at the heart of the success of this America based series to
Alan Taylor
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steve Cavanagh's third Eddie Flynn novel is his best yet. Obviously inspired by Grisham and Connelly, with 'The Liar' Cavanagh comes very close to matching him. The story follows the same basic pattern of the previous two novels - an unusual case, lots of action, a courtroom battle in which more is at stake than meets the eye, short, fast moving chapters which, like Saturday morning Flash Gordon serials, end on cliffhangers which make you want to keep reading. Cavanagh is becoming a master of th ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Action packed, exciting, edge of seat drama - I loved every minute of this read.

My View:

This is the second book I have read by Steve Cavanagh, I missed the second book in this series somehow but it did not stop me from immensely enjoying this, which is book 3 in the Eddie Flynn series. This legal procedural/ mystery/thriller is fast paced, twisty – so twisty, complex yet not complicated, sad yet tinged with optimism (eventually), powerful, captivating and mesmerising. I think I have made my poin
Keith Nixon
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing

New York-based con artist turned lawyer Eddie Flynn is back for a third story in this highly entertaining series. In The Liar, he has to work out who is telling the truth and who is... the liar.

It’s 2 August 2002 in Upstate New York and the baby is screaming. No matter what Julie tries she just can’t get him off to sleep. She’s tired and stressed. To help her nerves Julie takes a fix of crack. Through a drug addled haze, Julie thinks she sees a man dressed entirely in black standing over her bab
Noelle
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I owe a huge debt of book-loving gratitude to Kate of Bibliophile Book Club for introducing me to Steve Cavanagh’s books as it renewed my love of Legal Thrillers! I had stopped reading this sub genre a while ago, no particular reason…it just happened…and then I was introduced to Eddie Flynn and OMFG, my love returned…..tenfold! Mind……blown!!

So what happens in the latest novel? Well we return to the Big Apple (New York) where we come face to face with fear, loss, manipulation, betrayal, bending t
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I actually won an advanced copy of this book in giveaway over on Twitter, so many thanks to the publisher and author.

The Liar is the third book in the Eddie Flynn series. Having not read the others in the series I found this to work well as a stand alone. Saying that though I will definitely be going back to read the others.

I have to admit to steering away from novels to do with court rooms and the legal system. I find they can be slightly long winded and have lots of jargon that I don’t underst
Laura Rash
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As this series progresses the writing gets better & better, the plots get more complicated & twists make you gasp out loud! You could probably read these as standalones but I’d read them in order as I have bc it gives you the background on Eddie & helps you understand how he evolves in each one. Glad to have found this series & am on to the next. ...more
Dick Reynolds
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has several sections that are pretty exciting but other parts are so dense that the reader has to buckle down and just push through. There are also a multitude of characters involved in the story and it's difficult at times to keep up with them.
Kate
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This guy is the best writer! I did figure out a bit of this one early on but it’s like finding a corner piece of a puzzle. You know it’s key but I could not figure out how it fit with the cases and their drama. Fast paced, great characters and keeps you on your toes.
Novelle Novels
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars
Yippppeeeee!!!! OMG if you have not read a book by this author and you like thrillers or even mysteries then please pick one up. I have never known a thriller that I could read in 24 hours. This is the third I believe in the Eddie Flynn series which in itself worried me as sometimes picking up a book this far into it normally means trouble but I was very shocked at how easy it was to read. Leonard Howells worst nightmare has come true as someone has kidnapped his daughter. He cal
Sheri Gulde
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This the third book of this series. I have loved the writing by this author from page 1 of book 1. He takes you on a journey with so many twists and turns that you never know where he is going but totally satisfied when you get to the end. Will be getting the next book in the series this week to read.
Erin
After finishing The Plea, I thought I was going to sit and ruminate on it for a while before delving into The Liar. Yeah...well...I changed my mind. Because Eddie Flynn has become something of a fixation/obsession of mine. He’s like a drug and the want is always there.

Admittedly though, The Liar was not my favourite Eddie Flynn. I found it to be less suspenseful and slower than the others. Not necessarily a bad thing, just altered my enjoyment compared to the rest of the books.

I loved meeting

• Behind Closed Doors (Eddie Flynn, #1)
  • The Devil's Snare (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • Cold Call (Eddie Flynn, #3)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Slow Light (Eddie Flynn Book 4)
  • The Watching
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Chain
  • Lockdown
  • The Black Fire (Eddie Flynn Book 5)
  • Die Alone (The Bone Field #3; DI Ray Mason #4)
Steve Cavanagh was born and raised in Belfast before leaving for Dublin at the age of eighteen to study Law. He currently practices civil rights law and has been involved in several high profile cases. Selected for the Amazon Rising Stars programme 2015. ACES award winner 2015 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. The Defence is his debut novel.

Follow on twitter @SSCav

Eddie Flynn (5 books)
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)