Start by marking “The Physics of Star Wars: The Science Behind a Galaxy Far, Far Away” as Want to Read:
The Physics of Star Wars: The Science Behind a Galaxy Far, Far Away

The Physics of Star Wars: The Science Behind a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Explore the physics behind the world of Star Wars, with engaging topics and accessible information that shows how we’re closer than ever before to creating technology from the galaxy far, far away—perfect for every Star Wars fan!

Ever wish you could have your very own lightsaber like Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi? Or that you could fly through space at the speed of ligh
Published November 7th 2017 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about The Physics of Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Physics of Star Wars

Neil R. Coulter
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun book for a Star Wars fan. Its main point is more about the question of whether certain things from the Star Wars films are possible in the real universe, and less about explaining the real-world scientific details of how things work. Though I am not at all a scientist, I am curious enough about science that I would have liked a bit more detail about the real-world science that Patrick Johnson mentions throughout the book.

The main topics are: space; planetary science; planet-based t
kesseljunkie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book and is a great basic textbook for physics. Honestly, if they’d tried to teach science to me like this I’d likely have done a LOT better in those classes. Worth a read!
Kirsten
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Yes, I am a total nerd, but I found this book to be a lot of fun. It covers a wide range of scientific topics in relation to Star Wars, and touches on everything from planetary science to transport to weaponry to droids. The author is obviously writing as a Star Wars fan first and a physicist second, because instead of making fun of the holes in the science of Star Wars, the book is more about exploring science as it connects to Star Wars concepts, and seeing how close we could get to making it ...more
Kent
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pretty excited to read this book, but I have to say that I was rather disappointed. There is a lot of good information on a large number of topics, but I feel that each one only touches on the subject and doesn't offer too much substance. I thought it would be cool to see how some of this technology might be possible in the future, but they don't go quite so deep on that for many of the subjects.
As far as readability, for those that are not physics or science majors like myself, it is qui
K
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the unbelievable privilege of having the author of this book as my physics professor at Georgetown University. I never dreamed that I could actually make it through a full year of calculus-based physics, but with Dr. Johnson at the helm, learning physics was a joy, even for someone like me who was TERRIFIED of physics going into it!

This book reads just like Dr. Johnson is in real life: down to earth, very relatable, extremely funny, and able to make physics interesting for any student (or
Tracey
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
As readers/viewers, we generally, (willingly) participate in the literary element of "suspension of disbelief" when we read fiction and watch films. According to Wikipedia, suspension of disbelief is a "...willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe something surreal; sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment... coined in 1817 by Samuel Taylor Coleridge..." If one rwad.this book with that in mind, this book would be pointless...and a little soul crushing for Star W ...more
Scott Martin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
(Audiobook) This book would be the written script if a bunch of college students, physical majors and/or PhD candidates, were kicking back a few beers (or some other adult-type beverages), watching a few Star Wars (yes, even Phantom Menace), seeing the action and then getting into a discussion of "could that actually happen in our galaxy?" This work dives into all the possibilities, from trying to determine exactly when "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" happens, all the way to determi ...more
Hypable Books
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fandom
Read our full review on Hypable!

The Physics of Star Wars is a great read for anyone who’s ever dreamed of living in a galaxy far, far away. What’s that? You didn’t think that was possible? Well, it may be time to think again.

Star Wars is definitely more fantasy than sci-fi, but with technology advancing at such a rapid rate in the world today, things that we once thought to be inconceivable are ebbing closer to reality. The more we learn about both Earth and Space, the less fantastical some elem
Mrklingon
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Science fun in the Galaxy Far, Far Away!

To be honest, I didn't *finish* this (ran of out of time on my loan), but it's a very nicely done SCIENCE book that *uses* Star Wars as a launching point for all kinds of articles.

There's two ways to do this - the "buzzkill" way that essentially debunks the errors and inaccuracy of the stories. Maybe satisfying for someone with an axe to grind, but not that enjoyable.

This book does it the other way - "we see x, y, and z in Star Wars... how could that happe
Faisal Memon
A good read for Star Wars & Science fans.
The author does a very good job of explaining the context (in Star Wars, for example Light Sabers, Hyperdrives, Binary stars, The Force etc.), then tries to come up with a scientific context (of how things are working in the movie or novels or the script), after which he provides current scientific context (debunking or upholding the things shown in the movie).

My favorite: Light Saber - we don't know whether they are actually light or plasma swords. I
Max Lapin
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
How could a lightsaber work in real life? Or what is the true power of a Death Star or a Starkiller Base? Indeed, this is a look taken with a grain of physics. You would like it, cause written by a fan for fans.
James Biser
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book is a fun, educational read where Dr. Johnson talks about different ideas about the science behind the fanciful creations of George Lucas. It is a fun read full of good science. I recommend it to everyone.
Kenneth Hammond
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, science
didn't understand all the science but what I did I found intriguing and curious.
Sarah McGuiggan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It's pretty cute, but you have to be a fan of Star Wars and really interested in physics to be able to finish it.
Doug Murphy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Disappointed at how superficial this read.
Abby Mycroft
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Sarah Olson
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The concepts were explained a way in which everyone could understand! Overall, it was a great read!
Roberto Chavez
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
After reading this book, I get the feeling that lots of people want Star Wars to be true. This book tries to bring those people back to reality.
Jaret
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for those who like to solve complex equations and problems. You dive into a world of science testing the reality of everyone’s favorite saga.
Kai Aida
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was ok, but it wasn't really my style of stories. I did like how it showed what happened behind the scenes and brought to life.
Scott Loughridge
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty interesting read, its like the show "The Big Bang Theory" if they only talked about Star Wars.
Rima Hasanah
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read for self-proclaimed Star Wars fans out there.
LillyBooks
No star rating because I quickly realized this book was not what I hoped it would be, although there can be no doubt that is my fault and not the fault of the author.

I love physics in a gauzy, metaphorical way: this notion of forces and how they interact with each other, the push and pull of our lives reflected in the universe as a whole, how something can have so many rules and yet still be unknowable, the endless search for it all, the possibilities it creates, the grand passions it excites. B
Erin Lucy

• The Cinematic Legacy of Frank Sinatra
  • Gravity: How the Weakest Force in the Universe Shaped Our Lives
  • Spectrums: Our Mind-boggling Universe from Infinitesimal to Infinity
  • Downtrodden Abbey: The Interminable Saga of an Insufferable Family
  • Round Up the Usual Suspects: The Making of Casablanca--Bogart, Bergman, and World War II
  • Radioactivity: A History of a Mysterious Science
  • I Do and I Don't: A History of Marriage in the Movies
  • The Lexicon: An Unauthorized Guide to Harry Potter Fiction and Related Materials
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
  • The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Star Wars: Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Time Travel and Warp Drives: A Scientific Guide to Shortcuts through Time and Space
  • Cinemaps: An Atlas of 35 Great Movies