Start by marking “The Precious Dreadful” as Want to Read:
The Precious Dreadful

The Precious Dreadful

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Teddi Alder is just trying to figure out her life.

When she joins SUMMERTEENS, a library writing group, she’s only looking to keep herself busy, not go digging around in her subconscious. But as she writes, disturbing memories of her childhood friend Corey bubble to the surface, and Teddi begins to question everything: her friendship with her BFF Willa, how much her mom rea
Published February 13th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Precious Dreadful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Precious Dreadful

Michael Araujo
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Warning! I received an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review! Warning! I might be a little biased, especially because I love the authors work! Warning! I swear I'll try my best to be brutal. Behind the computer scream, I have an evil smile plastered on my face. There will be no spoilers!

I'm a huge fan of author Steven Parlato so when he told me he was writing another novel, I just could NOT wait. Of course, Parlato can do no wrong, and instantly satisfies the readers needs with hi
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
I really enjoyed this novel! I was dragged in by the premise and was a bit shocked that this book is not what I expected but I still was completely engulfed in the story and loved Teddi. Teddi was a bit complex and complicated but it made me love her more. I also enjoyed the pace and the mystery of this story. I definitely recommend checking this one out.
Hollis
Jan 26, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc
DNF at 14%.

I have no idea what's happening here. And from what little I've seen I don't care enough to push on and figure it out.

** I received an ARC from Edelweiss and the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review. **
Becky
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5⭐

I had no idea what this book would be about when I started it, but the idea of reading a novel based particular around a writing class intrigued me. This story went so far from what I thought it would be - not in a bad way, I did enjoy it, it just wasn’t what I expected.

This story is about a teenage girl called Teddi. It starts off with Teddi needing to fill the many hours of summer with something other than lazing about. She punts for joining a summer writing class - SUMMERTEENS - instead
Thamy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to rate this novel? 3.5, probably.

One night, Teddi sees a girl in the park pool near her house but when she her crush Aidan gets there, no one is around. Aidan is sure she must have imagined things. But the girls shows up once more, only to disappear again. Later, Teddi notices ghost-girl isn't the only thing off. She can't remember much about the time her childhood friend went away or even what happened to the new girl Fawn, with whom they used to play together.

I did like this story. It had
Dayla
This was a wild ride. Wow. Since it's still a few months away, all I will say is: How much can you trust Teddi and how ready are you for a mental adventure?

Thanks to the author and Simon & Schuster for a copy in exchange for a future honest review!
---

The Precious Dreadful by Steven Parlato is one of those books that takes you the whole novel to fully understand what is truly happening. I found myself unable to put the book down because I wanted to know if Teddi was truly doing half of the th
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2018, paranormal, ya, mystery
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this one. The Precious Dreadful caught my eye, because it eluded to some sort of mystery, suppressed memories, and some sort of paranormal element, but what kept my interest was Teddi.

•Pro: Teddi was wonderfully complicated and I loved her voice. She was a big reason why I kept reading. I was interested in the mystery, but I was more interested in Teddi.

•Pro: Parlato did a great job pulling us into Teddi's world and setting the atmosphere
Kim Stokely
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading Steven Parlato's first book, "The Namesake," I could not wait to read what he would write next. Fortunately, I was privileged to receive an ARC copy of "The Precious Dreadful."

Parlato does not disappoint! Once again, he's written a protagonist who is immediately relatable and entertaining, even while going through some intense emotional turmoil. His secondary characters are also well-drawn and empathetic. Equal parts mystery, ghost story and romance, Parlato deftly juggles all 3 t
Vani
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, ya
SO WOW. If I had known how much I would love The Precious Dreadful, I would have gone at it a lot sooner! I let it sit on my computer for thirty whole days.

So I had a feeling I would like The Precious Dreadful just from that weird description. I love how the ghost is mentioned so offhandedly. “Oh, yeah, AND there’s a ghost.” Like her other problems are bigger.

I’m also such a sucker for anything involved in young people writing. So we have Teddi’s writing group, boy problems, mom problems, unreli
Margo Kelly
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In THE PRECIOUS DREADFUL, Steven Parlato paints settings and portrays characters with poetic language that lures the reader with each rhythmic phrase.

AND - I'm giving away an ARC on my website. Hop over there to enter to win: http://www.margokelly.net/2017/11/boo...

Before opening this book, I wondered if a male author could write an authentic teenage girl as a main character. Well, Steven Parlato certainly did with Teddi Alder in THE PRECIOUS DREADFUL. From page one, Parlato brought Teddi’s cha
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing for the opportunity to read and review The Precious Dreadful by Steven Parlato. Teddi’s summer vacation begins with a few options. She decides to spend time with Summerteens, the local library’s summer writing workshop. Before the workshop kicks off, Teddi has had a spooky encounter, a kiss and an argument with her single, downtrodden mother. I fell in love with The Precious Dreadful, Teddi’s personality and boldness and the vari ...more
C. McKenzie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Precious Dreadful draws you into the life of Teddie Alder and holds you there until you make the entire journey with her. From start to finish you fear for her, you ache for her, and you root for her as she copes with the challenge of a mother who is no more than a child herself.

Then Teddie faces an even more daunting task; she must unlock a secret only the Pond Girl holds. Mysterious and poignant, this poetic story takes you into troubled waters, but with a character who sails a sure course to
Karima chermiti
I guess that’s all life is, really, just a series of moments. Some ruined, some beautiful.
And I’ve learned one thing. There’s no escaping any of them.

The precious dreadful is one giant identity crisis and that’s what’s making me really unable to wrap my mind around it. Clearly, there’s a potential for a great story but the moment all the characters start behaving like idiots, that potential is lost and from there the story never really recover what could’ve been. It’s like two books in one a
Ms. Yingling
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Did not meet the needs of my collection at this time. Too YA.
Janet
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of The Precious Dreadful by Steven Parlato. I won't hide the fact that I am his wife, but before you are tempted to discount what I say because of that, let me tell you how fascinating it was to witness the writing process of this novel. One morning a couple of years ago Steven said, "Teddi Alder. I think I have to tell her story." He then began to invent, before our eyes, this young woman and her gritty, funny, lopsided world. It was like watching a person sketch a strange Faberge ...more
Daniel Parlato
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
After having read the Namesake, I looked forward to finally getting my own copy of The Precious Dreadful. I'm going to start out by saying I swear Parlato has something against the nuclear family. Every one of the families he writes about has some kind of deficiency. What ever happened to a nice plain jane two parent mother and father, two daughters living on the street that they grew up on? In any event, on to the review.

I really enjoyed this book. The pace of the book was great. I found myself
Chanel
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this as an ARC on NetGalley.

I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars on this. On the one hand, it felt like there were so many plot points that never really fully fleshed themselves out completely but rather just got glossed over in the end in ambiguity. I didn't really like that. Also, the entire relationship building throughout the book was not great. I'm rarely a fan of characters who fall for each other so quickly with little background or understanding of how and why other than "he's hot"
Cathryn Dolly
i found to be a light enjoyable reading this book. the character teddi has gone through rough time, and seeking solace in writing. Living in small town during the summer, there was two options, jion a theater group or a summer writing group. she jions the writing group , struggling with some issues of being a teenager, alcoholic mom, mystery on her childhood friend, Cory.
Meantime her writing confidence improves and a friend at her writing club helps her on more details on Cory. Later, she conne
Nicole Strand
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Teddi Alder is a typical teen trying to figure things out. She joins a summer library writing group called SUMMERTEENS. She's just trying to keep busy and not think but while writing disturbing memories of her childhood friend Corey plague her mind.

Leading her to question her friendship with her BFF Willa, how much her mom knows all about it, and her memories. She feels like she's losing her mind when she starts seeing things like a ghost girl when she is alone at the park pool.

On top of all tha
Bert Zee
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dull, boring, uninspiring. I had high hopes for this YA mystery but I realised pretty early on that it was a bit of a dud. The writing is really harsh and not nice to read, there’s no kind of softness to it. The main character is one of the brattiest teen characters I’ve ever read, the way she speaks to her mother is disgraceful, I just kept thinking she needed a good slap across the face, if I had spoken to my mother the way this character does at her age my parents would’ve kicked my ass.

I act
Monica
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three days later I'm still absorbing all the nuances of this book. Mr. Parlato's character development of all the players in this drama made me truly live and breathe Teddi's life. I stayed up late Sunday night because I could not put it down! I highlighted so many passages on my advanced reader copy because of his beautiful prose. He perfectly captured the "advance-retreat-advance-stop" process that Teddi battled to follow her personal journey. It's truly a remarkable book! I highly recommend i ...more
Christine
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE PRECIOUS DREADFUL could be classified as a paranormal suspense, mystery, social problem novel, and Romance. The mystery pulled me through the most. (This may be a bias on my part. I love mysteries the most of all these genres. It's also hard to find YA mysteries.) The flawed characters are dimensional and larger-than-life. Teddi Alder's story grabbed me from the first page. In my opinion, THE PRECIOUS DREADFUL is a YA-crossover, as adult readers will enjoy it too.

I received an ARC in exchan
Autumn (Triquetra Reviews)
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really biased here, so I'll keep the review short and sweet. I adored the book, the premise and characters! Teddi's life has snippets that mirror my own which had bits of the story feeling a little close for comfort.

I'm a huge fan of Parlato's writing and I couldn't find fault with it - yes you have to stick around to the end, but therein lies the joy of the mystery.

Thomasina Levy
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent read. You know it’s a well written book when the hairs on the back of your neck are raised during a mysterious section in the plot line. Well done Mr. Parlato!
Lorna
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of The Precious Dreadful by Steven Parlato from Simon Pulse through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Precious Dreadful was a mystery to me. It started out a little jumbled at first and slowly started to come together. I wonder if that was kind of representative to the main character in the story, Teddi.

This book starts out with Teddi joining SUMMERTEENS, a library writing group, to keep herself busy and away from her distant mother. As Teddi starts writing, dist
Melody Maysonet
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Infused with humor, this is a spooky, tragic story that will stay with me for a long time.
Alysa H.
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While the writing here was okay, and the central mystery interesting enough to keep me reading, this book fell far short of my expectations. The "teen writing group" aspect that first attracted me is barely present, the paranormal elements are very slight, and Teddi's mother is weird caricature of irresponsible parenthood. It could have been a good exploration of a complex mother-daughter relationship, but all of their conversations are tediously circular and clunky.

Worst of all: the romance, w
Teenreadsdotcom
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
THE PRECIOUS DREADFUL follows 16 year-old Teddi and her quest to have a memorable summer that quickly morphs into a quest to uncover her mysterious past. Teddi, the snarky daughter of a struggling single mom, has always been independent and believes in creating her own fun. Thus, she begins her summer be resolving to by joining the library writing group SUMMERTEENS to pass her time. But life is all but normal for Teddi as she keeps seeing a ghostlike girl floating around her town and begging her ...more
Lisa Rowland
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had the potential to be a pretty awesome (if slightly predictable) story, if Aidan hadn't been in the book. Or at least not in the last half. The basic premise of there being a mystery lurking just out of reach, waiting to be uncovered, is usually a nice one, and the author covered it well.

The good: the writing was honestly pretty awesome most of the time. Just that sort of writing where as you read in the back of your mind you go "oh hey that bit was particularly well done, bravo." Th
Caitlin C
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do you ever encounter a trainwreck that needs to be read? That was this book. I was excited to see a local author, and I wanted to know where he was from. I was trying to "place" where the story even was set, and struggled with that, (I ended up envisioning my hometown of East Hartford. But even that wasn't right, because Teddi's house was connected to a store front) and looked up some articles where Mr. Parlato was from. Waterbury, apparently. He had Waterbury, CT in mind when he created this s ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Steven Parlato, Assistant Professor of English, a writer and artist, lives in CT with his wife and two children. Holding a Masters from Wesleyan University, Steve has taught graphic design, writing, and a literature course of his own design, Studies in Young Adult Fiction. In 2012, Steve was recognized with a NISOD Excellence Award in Teaching.

A prize-winning poet, Parlato's work appears in Freshw