Start by marking “The Museum of Broken Relationships” as Want to Read:
The Museum of Broken Relationships

The Museum of Broken Relationships

"Leave[s] your heart feeling full and connected."-- Frank Warren, PostSecret

In the spirit of Humans of New York and PostSecret, MUSEUM OF BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS is a gorgeous gift book celebrating the objects that outlast love: a poignant, funny, sometimes bizarre and always delightful window into modern love and loss.
A postcard from a childhood sweetheart. A wedding dress s
Published November 14th 2017 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Museum of Broken Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Museum of Broken Relationships

Cristina | CristiinaReads
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
➳A beautifully written and photographed book that captivates you with every single broken relationship story...

➳A true and honest picture book that really did take my breathe away either through the tears of sadness and tears of laughter that this novel gets your flowing. Not a regular novel that I would usually read or take my time to enjoy, but I am truly glad I was able to read these short stories. I highly recommend taking your time and enjoy this masterpiece if you never plan on going to
da AL
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Want confirmation that for all our uniqueness, we're more alike?
Searching for a Valentine Day gift to soothe a broken heart?
Thanks, anonymous library employee for adding this to my local branch's 'picks' display.
bookmarkbelles
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Museum Of Broken Relationships @brokenships was heart breaking but beautiful. I first heard about this museum when I watched an episode of WAGS LA and became interested with the concept. I had no idea there was even a book out but I'm very grateful to the beautiful Monisha at @foreverromancebooks for sending me a copy ❤😘 if you're not familiar with The Museum Of Broken Relationships, they basically showcase items that were donated by others from past relationships, along with a lil back stor ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of books like PostSecret and Humans of New York, The Museum of Broken Relationships" Modern Love in 203 Everyday Objects is a book you're going to want to pick up. And I have a copy to giveaway, courtesy of Grand Central Publishing!

Olinka Vistica and Drazen Grubisic were a couple for four years. When their relationship ended, they came up with a novel idea - a place to store all the painful triggers of past loves, creating a vault for both their tangible and intangible heritage.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book would make a fantastic gift this Christmas. It is filled with so much heart and left me so happy and changed. I loved looking at all the items in the book and reading the little stories next to the photos. It was such an endearing, moving, heartbreaking, inspiring and, at times, strange look into the things we hold dear, the things that change us and the things that sometimes put us back together. You are in for a treat when you read this book and it will be one of those books that you ...more
epstuk
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These stories are so sad and happy and real.
Sharon Hodnett
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Isn't what I expected. Each page has a picture of an object and a brief history of the relationship. Loved this book. Some stories though brief capture heatbreak far better than entire novels.
Naomi
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first 10/5 stars for 2018.

I love simple books that are powerful in message. This is the poster child for it.

A book chronicling objects that symbolize loss for people; some objects that once were a symbol of happiness.

This book, in its simplicity, made me think of a note my husband gave me 12 years ago that I have kept, reread every so often and smile each time. In the event of divorce, how that would change. Funnily, I never thought of it that before reading this book. How powerful is that?
Leonard
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a strange book with photos of objects that represent former relationships. The objects are varied, from rubber gloves and a copy of the New Yorker to belly button lint and a butcher knife. There is information about each image. There are dates and a locations, but no names. This book is not as deep or profound as you might expect; in fact it's quite shallow and not all that interesting.
Kate
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Loved this collection and the stories behind the items left after a break up. Some were sad, some angry, some funny, but all were interesting. <3
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Museum of Broken Relationships - Modern Love in 203 Everyday Objects by Olinka Vistica is a collection of items donated by those hurt by love. Each artefact is stunningly photographed and accompanied by a short story or explanation. Often including the location and duration of the relationship, they provide a rare glimpse into a person's heartbreak and lost love.

Every reader will be able to relate to the stories and I was touched by the emotionally charged personal accounts.

The collection i
Natalie  S
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Human beings are fascinating creatures. If you need proof of this then you need look no further than the book, The Museum of Broken Relationships – Modern Love in 203 Everyday Objects. This hardcover, artistic-style photographic book is a veritable treasure trove of the tangible objects that were left behind in the aftermath of some failed relationships. What could have been a series of banal, everyday objects of little monetary value, prove to be fascinating for the stories that are attached an ...more
Lyn
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are not many things on my list of things I really want to do, or I suppose, my "bucket list"... Before picking this book up, it had exactly one thing on it. Within five pages of this book, visiting one of these museums made it on the list.
I could not put this book down. Some of these stories are so sad... Some are more amusing, or happy. The emotional scale is pretty much everywhere. But what I liked best it that it's so real. Every one of these words are heartfelt. And every one of these
Natalie  S
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley Holstrom
When a relationship ends, the detritus that remains is painful. It’s thrown away. Burned. Donated. Shredded. Except for that one object—the wedding dress in the mason jar, the GPS, the little rubber piggy—that makes its way into boxes during every move. Olinka Vistica and Drazen Grubisic started this little museum when their relationship ended because they wanted to remember. Since then, thousands of people have submitted notes and objects to the museum. This book is a collection of that: A sad ...more
Alison
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the concept (documentation of what was sent in and became a museum exhibit about objects representing broken relationships that originated in Croatia) of this book fascinating and thought-provoking.

I expected to find in its pages relics from breakups but it’s so much more : shattered relationships between parents and children, friends and lovers, casual acquaintances and flings. Mementos are powerful in triggering memories and I’d imagine whomever mailed in these objects wanted to feel
Pj
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I greatly preferred the book to the museum itself (side note: the Los Angeles site has closed). In the book, I found myself pouring over the stories, whereas, at the museum I found myself examining the items. It is a worthy concept of meditation. What things take on more meaning that they otherwise would because they represent a particular time of life. Reading the stories afresh, I appreciated the museum's purpose all the more. There are stories from widows, sons, unrequited or unfulfilled love ...more
Victoria
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't remember where I heard about this book but I knew that I really wanted to read it.

I know I still have memento's of old relationships. They are in a box, packed away and every once in awhile I will come across them. After reading this book, I thought about sending them to this museum.

With pictures of the items and the notes that came with them, not all broken relationships were romantic. There are several from daughters who are breaking ties with their mother or father. Some are funny and
Kerry Pickens
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I read this book as soon as I recever it in the mail because it was so unusual. It's an art book that contains photographs of memorabilia from people's broken relationship, with an explanation of the significance of the object was. Some of the stories are beautiful and touching, and others are creepy and sad. My favorite object is a button from the TV show the X-files, that says "I want to believe."
Sam
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful... The museum of broken relationships is a collection of images and a short paragraph about items donated by people who have in one way or another 'broken up'. I was deeply moved by the whole reading experience. I found it intriguing looking at the different items donated by strangers and the importance of those items. This is one of the best "picture books" I've read in a long time.
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I read it in between preparing to move house. It was sad, funny, poignant, all the emotions that go with endings. I wonder if I could send them a memento from my much loved soon to be former home? Or would this be unfair to my wonderful future home and a new beginning?
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book, full of some strange and some mundane things. I enjoyed it, but sort of wish that there was more information about some of the items, though I know that was completely up to the contributor and not the authors.
Jackie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed the glimpses into the lives of all the people who shared their heartfelt stories of love in this book. The layout of the book with the pictures adds to the beauty of the stories, some sad, others not so sad.
Geraldine
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book shares pictures of everyday objects with stories or notes that represent relationships. These items were submitted into the actual Museum of Broken Relationships in Zagreb, Croatia.
Kayleigh O'lynn
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this! When I got it, I thought it would be just another interesting coffee table book, but it's really moving and I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Vanessa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, beautiful and poignant.
Danielle T
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-culture, idahome
I've never been to this exhibition physically, but what a fascinating collection of broken relationships- not all of them romantic, some familial.
Sonja Lawrance
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking, funny, poignant. Just beautiful.
Cordelia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
One day, I will visit the museum. One day, I hope I can work with them.
I love this museum, love it and hope I can work with their collections.

Amber
This is a book that I wished I came up with the idea. The book is designed really well and it a fast read.

• Das entschwundene Land
  • Map Art Lab: 52 Exciting Art Explorations in Mapmaking, Imagination, and Travel
  • Portraits of Courage: A Commander in Chief's Tribute to America's Warriors
  • Capturing Camelot: Stanley Tretick's Iconic Images of the Kennedys
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • Yours Always: Letters of Longing
  • Can't Hurry Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #2)
  • Big Gal Yoga: Exercises, Affirmations, and Poses to Help You Find Self-Acceptance and Empowerment
  • The Longest Adventure