Start by marking “Dead Big Dawg (A Loon Lake Mystery #19)” as Want to Read:
Dead Big Dawg (A Loon Lake Mystery #19)

Dead Big Dawg

(A Loon Lake Mystery #19)

Murder, She Wrote meets Fargo in the Northwoods of Wisconsin in the nineteenth “gripping, atmospheric, and smart” (T. Jefferson Parker, New York Times bestselling author) installment of the Loon Lake series.

When the bodies of a wealthy Chicago industrialist and his wife are discovered in their summer home at the same time that a local lawyer disappears, life becomes c
Published June 11th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Big Dawg, please sign up.
Asteropê It was originally Dead Bull Dawg, but was changed to Dead Big Dawg.
It was originally Dead Bull Dawg, but was changed to Dead Big Dawg.
If you search "Dead Bull Dawg" in Google, you will see all the previous, pre-publication references to the title. It has since changed. When you click on many of the links, to retail sites, publisher, etc it has the corrected Dead Big Dawg as the title. (less)

Start your review of Dead Big Dawg (A Loon Lake Mystery #19)
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Another trip north to Loon Lake and again Doc and Lew have their hands full. First, with their grandchildren, especially when they disappear and are found a short time later at a neighboring farm. They also find agents from the FBI Cyber Security Team. Russian Hackers have worked their way into the Northwoods unbeknownst to the owners of the farm and the owners of an old computer they use for recordkeeping.

Then, in the middle of the night Chief of Police Lew Ferris is alerted
Lesa
I have no interest in fly fishing, and I can live without most descriptions of nature in mysteries, but Victoria Houston's Loon Lake mysteries always catch my attention. Perhaps it's because Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris and her friend Dr. Paul Osborne are so passionate about fly fishing and their feelings about the river. Passionate, knowledgeable people are fascinating. And, Houston's latest book in the series, Dead Big Dawg, is an intriguing mystery, certainly not a leisurely paced environment ...more
Joan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is always a pleasure to spend time in the northwoods of Wisconsin with retired dentist Paul Osborne and Loon Lake police chief Lew Ferris.

First a wealthy industrialist from Chicago and his wife are found shot dead in their lavish summer home, then a young female school teacher has her head bashed in. A 90 year old friend of Ray's is missing and Ray is worried. What could these 4 have in common?

Creepy people around town included Bill Kimble, a serial philanderer and Judith Kerr, a woman who o
Linda Spyhalski
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2019
Another great mystery set in Northern Wisconsin! The nineteenth in the series written by Victoria Houston a resident of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I love her mysteries and delight in the fact that I know the artist personally and can run into her while shopping in Rhinelander while visiting my hometown.
I can hardly wait for the next book to read more about Lew, Doc, Ray and the mysteries in Loon Lake.

Pat Giese
Classic start with a murder/suicide requiring Chief Ferris & Doc Osborne to interrupt their family time. Their daughters & grandchildren happen to be visiting, so the investigation aborts their grand-parenting. Or, is it just homicide? Seems so, after the crime lab does their work & the autopsy results are in for the Mr & Mrs Powers case. But, then the schoolteacher is found drowned, or was she? The "Wausau boys" determine she was struck with a blunt object before ending up in the lake. Before t ...more
Marlene Koerner
I loved all the books. I am from Tomahawk originally so I feel at home. I was brought up with all the fishing and my husband caught a big Musky couple of years ago when we vacationed in the area. We have her mounted. I hope that Dead Big Dawg is not the end. This one had a different twist with Federal agencies involved. Lots of dead bodies, Doc has to be useful in the plot. Like it when the children of Doc and of Lew are in on the action.
Dianne Degrandt
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. Members of my family have a cabin in this area of Wisconsin so can really identify with the locations. The small law enforcement and shared assets described perfectly what Chief Lew had to work with. Civilian help solving the crimes come into play via a local fishing guide, who knew who in high school and the group of retirees who meet every day down at the local diner. Would recommend for a quick easy read.
Kathleen
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
More of a novella then a full book, but with more dead bodies then most fully paged mysteries. Amidst the corpses, the author does an almost poetic job describing the Wisconsin woods and waterways around Loon Lake. I do totally enjoy every story about Chief Lew Ferris and Doc Osborne, but I took my rating down a star as the main culprit was way too obvious halfway through the book. Still a good story, if a tad too short.
Teri Crane
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series and this addition is top notch!

This book as much as any in the series is like stepping out the cabin door, hearing the wind in the pines, smelling that lake smell, and hearing an outboard out on the water! It brings back childhood vacations in the Rhinelander area. No, there weren't murders, handsome old dentists or fly-fishing cops. Ah, but there might have been.....
Karen Holman
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book by Victoria Houston was a pleasure to read. The creative characters, a Wisconsin setting, and an ending that was a sorta surprise kept this reader thrilled. As the setting in this story is very familiar to the reader it was a fun read as I compared the story setting to what I know. Pleasant read guess I should look into reading more of the Loon Lake Mystery series. copy right 2019 197 pages
John
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Loon Lake Mystery!

I’ve read all 19 counting this one and I’ve enjoyed each one. Extremely enjoyable murder mystery with humor through out, with a little fishing thrown in. If I had one complaint, I believe this one had less fishing then all the others! Needless to say, I look forward to the next in the series!
Michael
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lew and Osbourne try to determine why women are being murdered in Loon Lake. Are the murders connected to the recent appearances in Loon Lake of those in the NSA, the CIA, or just a serial killer? Houston spins this story of murder and intrigue and once again I've finished it in only a couple of sittings. Can't wait for the next Loon Lake Mystery.
Betsy
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy the characters who run these stories; their interaction is humane, their appreciation of each other makes me feel secure, and the idea of fishing in the quiet on the lake is calming.
Cj Wolf
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting experience in Loon Lake with all our favorite characters. I enjoyed this latest book with all the fun fishing descriptions. Since I can’t be in the Northwoods at the moment, this book is the next best thing.
Baglady
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wplc-holdings
Same time line problems as with others in this series, but this book has a reasonably complex plot that kept my interest. Multiple murders, some local people and some summer folks, very little fishing compare to the other books in the series. Quick entertaining read
Audree
Love the characters, keeps me guessing. Really enjoy Victoria Houston's books.
Annie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just enjoy the heck out of this series...:)
Carolyn
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The LOON LAKE mysteries are new to me, but I'll be reading more of them! I enjoyed a very interesting cast of characters, interesting location and fast action, YUP, WANT SOME MORE!!
Jan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all of Victoria Houston's books!
Jonele
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sixty-in-twenty
A simple mystery, as well as a light, quick read
Jan
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like this series even though the back drop is a bit foreign to me. The characters are surprisingly complex at times & this was a satisfying plot. ...more
Sandy
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This wasn’t the best of the series. It felt flat and I missed the fishing episodes that usually provide relief from the murders.
michelle Dumdie
Nice easy murder mystery
Marcia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read from Ms Houston. Love the characters of Lew, Doc and Ray. My only complaint, is that it didn’t last longer. The Loon Lake Series never disappoints!
Andy53
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the series
Karla Martinsen
Not up to par with the rest of the series before this one. Felt rushed. But I've grown attached to the characters so will keeping reading as each new one turns up on the shelf.
Margie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading Ms. Houston's stories. This one left one loose end-the foreign hackers. Perhaps that will be answered in the next episode of Loon Lake Mysteries
Nancy Berg
Good read

The Loon Lake stories are always a page turner. I like the stories and wonder where they come from. I hope there are ,any ,ore to come.
Marci Martin
Dec 02, 2019
Catherine Stange Schmid
Oct 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Under the Radar (Zoe Chambers Mystery #9)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Beyond a Reasonable Stout (Sloan Krause #3)
  • A Cup of Holiday Fear (A Bakeshop Mystery, #10)
  • Careless Whiskers (Cat in the Stacks #12)
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • Tailspinner (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #6)
  • False Cast (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #5)
  • Take the Bait (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #1)
  • Lineage Most Lethal (Ancestry Detective #2)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Blood Knot (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #3)
  • The Mountains Wild (Maggie D'arcy, #1)
  • One Last Lie (Mike Bowditch, #11)
  • Dead Drift (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #4)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)