Start by marking “Bridesmaids” as Want to Read:
Bridesmaids

Bridesmaids

Four weddings. Three disgruntled ex-boyfriends. Two very effective chicken fillet boob-enhancers. And one gorgeous man. It's tough being a bridesmaid

With less than an hour to go before her best friend, Grace, is to walk down the aisle, Evie is attempting to fulfil her most important bridesmaid role: to deposit the bride at the start-line at the appointed time. But with a b
Published March 8th 2008 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Bridesmaids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridesmaids

Start your review of Bridesmaids
Tea Jovanović
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect debut chick-lit title... Read it while still in manuscript and fell in love with Jane's writing... Funny, amusing, you'll enjoy it... Two titles so far translated into Serbian... Author will have tom change publisher... will keep you informed...
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: March 8, 2008
Genre: Chick Lit
Actual Rating: 5 stars

I know this is an older title but I feel like it would be a disservice not to tell people how freakin awesome this book is! I found myself laughing out loud almost the whole way through. I loved the girls in the novel, how the story revolved around weddings, being a bridesmaid (and never the bride), and friendship. There is a bit of drama towards the end (which was very unexpected), but this book is an all around good read de
Lucy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is one thing I should stop doing now. I really shouldn’t limit what I read due to stupid connotations of genres of books.

My mind works like this: YES! Read classics, book prize winners, books that get nominated for the Nobel Prize! If you read these books you shall become a smarter person. People will listen to you more in conversations because you’ve read ‘those books’, and you’ll be an intellectual. You will, trust me.
NO! Don’t read chick-lit, thrillers, romps. You should be exercising
Stacey
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up in Asda one day thinking it was a new novel of hers and then got home and realised that it was just a new cover of an old novel from 2008. Although, to be fair, not that it mattered because it turns out this was on my TBR pile anyway! So was pleased that I managed to pick it up with a cute and pretty new cover. The cover is simplistic but works really well and really draws you in. I like the pastel and bright colours used.

I was in a bit of a reading rut after just finishing abou
Vasya
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
I hate these books, I really really do. This type of chick lit really gets on my nerves (with only one exception, and that would be Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic Series) and I hate it that I have a weak spot for somewhat pretty covers.

They are like historical romances, that I like very much, but they happen in the real world. In the modern world. And I cannot, for the sake of my brain functioning properly, really get into these types of romances because they give me ideas. Ideas that are definite
Anne Brooke
This novel had a lot of potential but very meagre delivery, sadly. Its strap line is "Four Weddings without the Funeral" but actually having a funeral might have been a good idea - as it would have inserted some much-needed gravitas into the general veneer of fluff.

I think one of the main problems is I really didn't like the heroine, Evie, who's obsessed with appearances, not terribly bright and acts like a 12-year old most of the time. She's supposed to be 27.

The big motif of the book and the t
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2011, favourites
I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record when it comes to reviewing Jane Costello's books, but I can't help it, because - to borrow an English phrase - they're just SO BLOODY GOOD!

I love ALL the characters in her books. Like ALL of them. Yes, there's always a bad guy and a good guy - and by guy I refer here to possible male and/or female characters - but even those, you tend to love - in a love/hate sort of way.

Who couldn't love Valentina, who is self-obsessed, and hilariously char
Quirky Omega
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to be said about this book.
But first things first.

It's Bloody Fantastic!

Evie's romance is certainly not the central theme. It's something I noticed even in the previous book I read by Jane Costello. Yet it's not an issue that is too troubling.

In fact for the first half, Evie's mostly focused on her interaction with her close friends and their lives. Her love interest Jack doesn't even occupy that many pages. So that is why I am cutting one star.

I am actually surprised by how much
Joanna Choi
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
So after looking for this book everywhere, I finally found a copy only to be disappointed by a mediocre book. Part of my disappointment is my own fault. I find a book that I like, read more by the same author, and figure out that I'm reading variations of the same book.

Standalone review. The main character is Evie. Evie is your typical chick lit heroine--stuck in a rut of a job, completely moronic, attractive enough that she manages to pull in all the guys, probably a little on the dumpy side in
Salma
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was a light very funny & hilarious romance . I loved all the bridesmaids but charlotte she was a bitch ! When you read this beautiful novel you will know why

Of Course you will predict the man who Evie will fell in love with anyway there story is so sweet and she is so funny that i cant stop laughing out loud when i read her funny lines . Her friends Grace , Georgia and Valentine are the best friends any girl could have i loved them and their stories as well

Its a long tome since i fell in love
Lizzie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have just finished Bridesmaids by Jane Costello and it had me hooked from the start. I loved Evie's story and actually laughed out loud in parts. I couldn't put this book down and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves an easy to real girlie book
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
thoroughly funny read. just what I needed especially in the heat of my current wedding season.
Leah
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Evie Hart is worried she’ll always be the bridesmaid and never the bride, particularly since within a space of a few months she’ll be attending no less than four weddings all as a bridesmaid. However during the first of those weddings, Evie meets Jack Williamson… by meet I mean her chicken fillets pop out of her dress but hey, it’s one way of making an impression. As Evie and Jack keep meeting at weddings it becomes apparant they both have feelings for the other but disaster keeps striking. Will ...more
Littlebookworm
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Evie Hart has a busy year ahead of her, acting as bridesmaid at no less than 4 weddings. For herself, she is somewhat of a commitment-phobe, with a long line of ex-boyfriends who sooner or later have for some reason or other started to grate on her nerves. However, then she meets Jack at her friend's wedding and there seems to be an instant spark of chemistry between them. Has Evie finally found the man of her dreams, who she can settle down with? It's a long and bumpy road to find out, with lau ...more
Moon Love
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Boy was this book funny. The 1/2 to 2/3 was hilarious. The serious emotional stuff and drama didn't come until close to the end.

Evie is a journalist, who at 27, has never been in love. She's the bridesmaid at three weddings this year and she's not really sure she can handle the duty. Evie's single and been the one to breakup with all over boyfriends. She meets handsome, charming Jack at a wedding and is extremely disappointed to find out he's dating a friend. She continually runs into him, maki
Gerry
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
My wife ribbed me about reading this book because she classified it as 'chick lit'. It probably is but so what? I will read most everything - so long as it's in English!

The story is about Evie and her friends from Uni who are now being bridesmaids at friends and relatives weddings. We follow Evie, who has had no serious boyfriends and has always broken off relationships for trivial offences, as she goes through this eventful year.

While this book was never going to make the Booker long list it st
Nicki
Nov 03, 2016 added it
Shelves: gave-up
That's two by Jane Costello I couldn't get into. Not my type of thing at all.
Hannan
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hiridessa
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Arggghh... I finished this book because I forced myself to do so.

The first point against it is that flaky heroine that I absolutely dislike! She lacks intelligence and is not honest in any of the relationships she engages in (whether it's romantic, friendships or even with her mom). I never understood what was so good about her and could never really empathise with her. I hated the way she "thinks" about her friends (and it constantly made me wonder: if you dislike her so much, why are you frien
Paula Nichols
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Costello book I have read and i generally enjoyed it. Evie the serial bridesmaid manoeuvres the ocean of ex boyfriends and future love whilst being the bridesmaid to her friends and her mother. The story is enjoyable and much of the action is believable, although how one person can gather a collection of faulty people is only the stuff of fiction!

Aside from the farmer with the french speaking pig who sounds like he's from deepest Somerset (believe me no one from Liverpool, the
Jess Milner
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: physical-book, 2017
This was probably my least favourite of the authors books from the three I've read this year. I don't expect amaing things from this genre but I do expect a plot or at least likeable characters. This had funny moments but there was no plot to get invested in -It's just going to weddings and having loads of drama. I didn't like how a lot of the drama got resolved and as always there was ALOT of telling instead of showing so, I didn't feel that invested. Not the best of these kinds of books I've r ...more
Karen Wickham
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the better pieces of chick lit. This one doesn't make the mistake of putting people in very unlikely situations.

It's like a mix between Bridget Jones' Diary and Four Weddings and a Funeral. At times it was laugh out loud funny and I absolutely loved the character Valentina for the comedy value.
Annie Day
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A great chick lit tale set in the Liverpool area. Evie and her friends are bridesmaids at each other’s weddings. During one wedding-packed year Evie bonds with her friends, handles her eccentric mother, bumps into weird ex-boyfriends and finally encounters potential romantic interest. But will the path of true love run smooth?
Steph Hayward-bailey
A quick easy read. A typical rom-com which was very enjoyable. The chapters are bitesized and I like that even though it was a quite generic story that it was set in Lancashire so I found the places easy to picture.
Kimberley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read, a lot of laugh out loud moments as well which is exactly the kind of book I needed right now.

I guessed the plot fairly early on in the book but I still enjoyed reading until the end.
Lamya
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Might be a little biased to when it comes To Jane Costello’s books, because I know the book would be light funny and witty even before I read it, and I’m never disappointed! Just makes your mood much better when you’re reading her books. Loved this one!
Shawn McBrinn
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable light-hearted read

I was looking for an easy read and this was a good choice. It kept me interested, even though the end was predictable. It’s not my first Jane Costello and it won’t be my last.
Abi
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud SO many times!
I love Evie!
Lynne Jenner
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light & fluffy - sometimes it's just what you need ...more
Daisy H
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely a light-hearted beach read but enjoyable nonetheless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Chocolate Lovers' Diet
  • Lucy in the Sky
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Club
  • It Started With a Tweet
  • The Longest Holiday
  • Johnny Be Good (Johnny Be Good, #1)
  • 500 Miles from You
  • Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • A Winter's Tale (The Shakespeare Sisters, #2)
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Swimming Pool Sunday
  • What Happens Now?
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • A Desirable Residence
Hello! I now write all my books under the name 'Catherine Isaac', so do come and visit my new Goodreads account here:-https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
It's there that you'll find info and updates about my most recent work, including 'You Me Everything' https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... . This book is now published in 24 languages and a movie is in development by Lionsgate, while my n

News & Interviews