Start by marking “Good Husband Material” as Want to Read:
Good Husband Material

Good Husband Material

Another warm, wise and witty offering from Sunday Times bestseller Trisha Ashley.

James is everything Tish has ever wanted in a husband – she’s married a man who even her mother approves of. He’s handsome, dependable, and will make an excellent father – unlike Tish’s first love, the disreputable Fergal. Her teenage sweetheart abandoned her for a music career and
Published March 28th 2013 by Avon (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Good Husband Material, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Husband Material

Start your review of Good Husband Material
Barbara Elsborg
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't figure out at first why the dates were all 1999 - I was thinking - why set a book ten or so years ago unless for part of that book you're going to bring us up to date. Ah - then I saw it had originally been published in 2000 - which explained a lot. It had a slightly out of date feel to it. Typing on type writers and then transferring to an Amstrad, lack of mobile phones etc etc.
I didn't mind all that. I just wish I'd known beforehand. What I did mind was a heroine who clearly w
Lynn Marie Hulsman
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying that I'm a huge Trisha Ashley fan, and read anything of hers I can get my hands on. I'm so happy in this day of Kindle and Amazon UK since this device has allowed me to get more of her books (and books from UK Rom Com novelists like Jill Mansell, Katie Fforde, etc)

The story starts with a prologue, when Tish falls for Fergal, who is a classic bad-boy rocker. She dreamed of marriage and commitment, and he clumsily fails to give her the answers or reassurance she
Sherrie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very typical Trisha Ashley, light and easy to read. Good holiday reading.
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I want to start by saying how gorgeous the cover is. It is truly beautiful and eye-catching, and I even heard two ladies discussing the ‘pretty cover’ in ASDA last week!

Tish fell in love with Fergal when she was younger. He was her first love, however he broke her heart, as she wanted a husband, and he wanted a life of rock and roll, of fame and of fortune. Now married to James, she believes she has everything she wants in a husband – he is handsome, dependable and he is also great f
Hallie
Too much repetition from CHOCOLATE WISHES (True Love apparently abandoned her to go off and be a rock star! Oh, and someone awful just might have been underhandedly involved in that apparent desertion. And a drunken night of rekindled passion (No, woman, I didn't think you were drunk! Couldn't keep you off me!) about which she's mortified results in the same thing. Also quite a bit too long and James was anything but a good husband, material or otherwise, which was quite dragged out. Awful mothe ...more
Sharon Booth
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a confession. This is the first Trisha Ashley novel I have ever read! Sorry, Trisha! I own several of her books and they are all sitting waiting patiently on my to-be-read pile, and have been for months or even years. It's nothing personal against Trisha or her writing...I just buy too many books and can't get round to reading them all fast enough! So, given that I already possessed at least four other novels by this author, what on earth made me start to read Good Husband Material ...more
Agi
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I received a copy of "Good Husband Material" in exchange for an honest review.
I have read just one book of Trisha Ashley and I didn't like it too much but I always like to try an author again. Well, it's good that I did it:)
At the beginning I have thought, well, Tish, who the hell are you? She was always dissatisfied, was obsessed with bacteria and looked like she doesn't like animals. But while reading I got used to her, to her funny ways and in the end she was not bad at all. Actua
Sue
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fergal is a famous rock star, reputed to life a wild and promiscuous life. But he still remembers the 17-year-old Tish, who fell for him in quite a dramatic way...

The story takes place when Tish is 30 and comfortably married to the reliable but slightly dull James. Inevitably her path is going to cross with Fergal's again, and inevitably her marriage with James is going to take a downward turn. I started by feeilng sorry for James, but despite being 'good husband material', at least according t
Carol W
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tish, is married to James - Good Husband Material, according to her Mother (Mummy), but are things different behind closed doors?

As far as Tish's Mother is concerned, James can do no wrong to the point that James confides all in Tish's Mother who believes James is always Mr Right. Thank goodness for Gran who has the measure of Tish's almost eccentric Mother.

Tish knows that all it not well in their relationship but those little niggles can , hopefully, be ironed out once t
Nikki Bywater
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After feeling that she was messed around and badly let down by her first love Fergal, who is now a big Rock Star, Tish settled with the more reliable and dependable James. ‘Good Husband Material’

Life seems perfect and Tish and James move into a cottage in the country together. However when a chance meeting with Fergal happens, James is shocked to find out that his quiet librarian wife once dated a rock star and he is jealous.

Tish is about to discover that both men are not
Bookworm
Jul 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say that it wasn't a delightful read. I spent most of the time getting irritated over James. Using up all the hot water and leaving none for your wife, grumbling about the choice of dinner, calling your wife's career rubbish and countless more examples... I don't see how that can be described as a "good husband material" as stated in the book's synopsis.

There is also an overused number of words with upper case letters like Horrible Howard, Poor Little Me and the Lump. I personally
MB (What she read)
1st read 4/15/13: 3.5 stars.

Kind of boring in the middle, but lots to enjoy.

What I appreciated about this novel was the way Tish was not a doormat and stuck up for herself. I also like that she was a germophobe and a clean freak. Those are unusual characteristics, and it is nice to see something different like that. I liked the way Fergal was caring and protective even before their relationship was concrete. As usual with Ashley's books, the secondary characters (human and non) add
Nicola Clough
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A warm and witty book by Trisha Ashley well worth reading I throughly enjoyed it and would like to hear more of what happens next. Tish had a first love who broke her heart as he went off to have a music career and leaving Tish behind but she meets her new husband who she thinks is the perfect husband and wants to have children but do things run smoothly for them when they move to a country cottage or does the appearance of her first love turn everything upside down. Tish falls pregnant and who ...more
Lizzie Lamb
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Trisha's quirky writing style and sense of humour (eg. referring to the solicitor as that rogue Herries - really laughed at that one). Loved Fergal Rocco the rock god (phwoar), sexy yet loving and tender, and all the secondary characters in this book. James? Not so much; but you need a little grit in the oyster to produce a pearl, don't you? Trisha's books are for curling up on the sofa and reading in as many greedy gulps as you can manage. Looking forward to reading her next one already.
Kritika Manchanda
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Started slow, but the happy feel from midway made up for it. The climax is the highlight, read it for that.
Fergal makes you believe that running back to your ex is the best thing. But then not all exes are Fergal... Fergal is too good to be real.
The chemistry, intentional and unintentional between Tish and Fergal will remind you of your first love. Happy and dreamy, this one is surely raising your hopes and standards for the 'Good Husband Material'.

3.75/5
Elizabeth Emily Browne
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really really really loved this chick lit/ Rom-com. It was like there was nothing missing. It had everything from an awful start to a happy ever after that we all love.

I especially loved the main character. I found her really quite interesting rather than some of the more timid main female characters you can get in some books. There was genuinely nothing that I didn't like.
Joanne
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet, sweet book this was. I loved everything about it. The love story between Tish and Fergal, the humour of the disintegration of James' smug life, the foolish Mummy, the caustic old Granny, I loved it all. I am most certainly going to look for more books by Trisha Ashley.
Siobhan Reynolds
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this at all! I only bought it because I found it for £1 in a discount book store, and I can tell why! Thought it was so boring and predictable that I couldn't even finish it. I normally love this type of book, but definitely won't be buying any more by this author.
Anne Wilson
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Love Trisha Ashley usually but felted this one was a bit long winded nothing much happens until near the end of the book.
Allison M
Jul 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rambly

Rambling and hard to follow, don't waste your time and money on this book. Author normally does well, this one is not so good.
MsJulianaZee
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is quite boring for the intro. It's started to exciting once the main character get pregnant and her old boyfriend came to a rescue her from her bad lazy husband.
Lauren Roberts
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read a couple of Trisha Ashley books (chocolate shop series). If you haven't they are of a similar ilk to the Shopaholic series

This particular story was of Rush married to James whose ex boyfriend from when she was a teenager bursts back into her life in her thirties and the repercussions of having a husband who is anything but good.

It was a sweet story, far fetched in places and sad that the main character had no backbone when dealing with her mother and husband w
Kate
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read “The Little Teashop...” by this author which was a nice, sweet story so picked up another, however this one seemed to recycle many of the exact same characters, their looks, personalities, descriptions and even some of the same lines and jokes, as the other book. It was very repetitive and kept you reading for long stretches where the reader knew what was coming up/going to happen, but had to wait a long, long time for it to happen. A cute, funny story, if it could have been edited to abo ...more
Sian Thompson
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fun to read. I was dubious to begin with, it seemed like a simple romance novel, which it was. It was predictable and easy to read. However the characters grew on me and I was eager to continue reading to spend more time with the characters. I don't think I'll pick up another by this author but I did enjoy reading this one. It was happy! 😊
Sharon Norrish
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I have read a few of Trisha Ashley's books and to be honest I didnt find this one of the best!

At the beginning it was a little slow and not the usual page turner that I was expecting. It took me until half way through the book to actually feel like I was enjoying it.

You could see the ending coming but if you want a relaxed read than this book is ok.
janet jennings
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book,I can relate to some things,but it was fun to read.

This book deserves a good rating i thouroughly enjoyed it.will be reading other books published by trisha,an excellent author with lots of humour.
Vicky Cawkill
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Aamzing! Loved this book, all he books are amazing, and this one was no exception. Love all the ideas it puts into your head and all the different characters, especially all of the village locals, as i live in a small village i can relate to knowing people like these characters! Truly great read.
e brearley
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite book

I fell in love with Trishas' books when I read Winters Tale, I have bought every book since.
This is my absolute favourite book by her and my go to comfort read. 5 stars all the way for me.
Donna Clegg
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Very predictable but enjoyable holiday read, however I think it could’ve been 200 pages shorter.
Juliet
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another brilliant trisha ashley book
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Happiness for Beginners
  • Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • A Rose Petal Summer: It’s never too late to fall in love
  • Solo
  • A French Affair
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas
  • Take A Look At Me Now
  • Summer at the Cornish Cafe (The Penwith Trilogy #1)
  • A Spring Affair
  • Practically Perfect
  • Poppy's Recipe for Life
Trisha Ashley is now a full-time novelist, but she has been known to work for stained glass makers and/or plumbers. She likes to paint, eat, drink, and read literary biographies. Her previous hobbies included getting divorced and packing to move. She claims to have once actually eaten Bronte burgers at the Branwell café, but her publisher declines to verify this. She lives in North Wales.
“There are more men lurking in sheds in my garden than in any D.H. Lawrence novel.” 5 likes
“Tish, help me! I’ve cut my wrist on the damned glass – it’s pouring blood – probably an artery! Let me in before I bleed to death!’
‘Go and bleed over the rose bushes, they’re supposed to thrive on it,’ I suggested heartlessly. He was by now directly underneath me and I couldn’t see any sign of draining arteries.
‘You heartless bitch!’ he raged, which was more like the James I’d come to know and didn’t love.”
5 likes